Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3128Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Lee Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,534
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Gents, I have one on the way, yay!
If anyone wants to check one out in New England let me know.
joerod and dmillionz like this.
Lee Weber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Woof Woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
What country ? I'm from Canada btw .


Australia.

I was told there was stock allocated in Japan. And it would take a week to arrive if I put my order in today.
Woof Woof is online now  
post #33 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 05:42 AM
Member
 
otismojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 173
So I’m having a little issue with zooming mine. When I set my Oppo 205 to project Source Direct and my 885 to 2:35:1 zoo I get a ton of image spill over on the top and bottom. When I blank the top and bottom it cuts off 10% of the image on each side when I get the width set for the zoom. What am I doing wrong? On my old set up I use my A lens to correct the letter box. I’m not seeing the letter box on my image to zoom out.







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
otismojo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,905
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
Australia.

I was told there was stock allocated in Japan. And it would take a week to arrive if I put my order in today.
Put in your order today !!

Good luck with that . My friends that just ordered have been told two months, there is a long list of back-orders, for all Sony as I understand .

You may have to go higher up on this if you want for Christmas, the fat guy in the red suit is the one I recommend .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #35 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 05:49 AM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismojo View Post
So I’m having a little issue with zooming mine. When I set my Oppo 205 to project Source Direct and my 885 to 2:35:1 zoo I get a ton of image spill over on the top and bottom. When I blank the top and bottom it cuts off 10% of the image on each side when I get the width set for the zoom. What am I doing wrong? On my old set up I use my A lens to correct the letter box. I’m not seeing the letter box on my image to zoom out.







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This content is not 2.35:1, its more like 16:9 therefore you need to use 1.78:1 zoom not 2.35

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #36 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Woof Woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Put in your order today !!

Good luck with that . My friends that just ordered have been told two months, there is a long list of back-orders, for all Sony as I understand .

You may have to go higher up on this if you want for Christmas, the fat guy in the red suit is the one I recommend .
I know. I was told 2-3 weeks initially. But they said they could make it happen.

If it doesn't get here in 1 week...
roxiedog13 likes this.
Woof Woof is online now  
post #37 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
baseball0618's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chadds Ford PA
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismojo View Post
So I’m having a little issue with zooming mine. When I set my Oppo 205 to project Source Direct and my 885 to 2:35:1 zoo I get a ton of image spill over on the top and bottom. When I blank the top and bottom it cuts off 10% of the image on each side when I get the width set for the zoom. What am I doing wrong? On my old set up I use my A lens to correct the letter box. I’m not seeing the letter box on my image to zoom out.







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Michael bay uses multiple aspect ratios in this film:

1.90 : 1 (most scenes)
2.00 : 1 (most scenes)
2.28 : 1 (letterboxed) (some shots)
2.39 : 1 (letterboxed) (one shot)

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs
baseball0618 is offline  
post #38 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
The owners of that unit and LumagenPro with 18Ghz output modules, can you please test, that your Lumagen recognizes sony as 18Ghz capable display unit? At the moment my Lumagen Pro accepts 18Ghz no problem, but cannot see that Sony is capable of 18Ghz, therefore output is always limited to YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bit at [email protected] Tried 3 cables and set Sony all HDMI Inputs to Enhanced, but no luck. Already reported 128 bytes of EDID from Sony to Lumagen support team so they investigating, but wanted if someone has those two units can check? Thank you.
Hi there.

That is an extremely interesting finding.
I am (and many others I am sure) very interested to find out if it is in fact 18Gbps capable which in my view all their projectors from 2015/16 onwards should have been anyway.

Cheers.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #39 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Eyes and Ears Thriller
 
dmillionz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Talking

I'll tell you what, Sony needs their ass kicked for this projector. I am completely blown away with the performance of the 885 out the box. My wife is also. We can't believe that the 885 provides so much more of a performance increase over the 675. And it's an immediate and very noticeable difference. I wasn't expecting that at all. The colors are far more vibrant, the blacks are much darker, the entire image is super crisp and razor sharp but super smooth and silky at the same time. Unfreakingbelievable. You just have to see it. I was worried that the extra $10K wouldn't be justified based on the comments I've read on other threads. But hey, I have no idea what those people saw. Maybe something was a little off with the European units because I don't see any of what I read about on my unit but the hint of green on the pixel patterns. My wife kept talking about how black the black is and it is... black. It kind of messes with your head a little it looks so good.

Everything we've played on it is like watching it for the first time. The 3D is phenomenal. Damn near 4D at times. If 3D looked like this in the theater, there is absolutely no way it would have fell out of popularity. And the lens is a significant improvement over the 675. All this time I thought I was just getting old because I would see some odd things when trying to focus and find the sweet spot. A little blur, bloom, etc. Not with this one. Crisp from corner to corner. So sharp in fact, it took me hardly no time to dial the image in.

When going through the Disney WOW disc, I did notice a touch of the green moire that people were talking about on certain pixel patterns but haven't decided if I wanted the fix done or not because I don't want to mess up the Black Levels. If I could just get rid of the green and leave every other setting intact until Chad B blows this way, I will do it. It will only make the image the 885 produces even better. Chime in if you know the answer to this.

Also, on another note, for those of you who want to try it. Change your Bright TV setting to the HDR settings Dave Harper came up with for the 675. I was surprised it worked so well on the 885 also. The Harpervision tweak is shockingly impressive and made The Revenant look far better and brighter over the stock HDR settings. I even game on my PS4 Pro with these settings. Eye candy for sure. You can find them here: The HarperVision Experience.

More to come.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
dmillionz is online now  
post #40 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
jqmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Thanks yes, I used both the Masciola black level pattern for UHD and the AVS disc black level pattern for 709. I'll check Contrast Enhancer again as I thought I checked for that but maybe I was thinking of the laser's dynamic control instead.

I don't have a Lumagen but am thinking about it. I don't know much about HDR yet and am trying to understand the relationship between it being just another gamma curve and the "meta-data" stuff. If you substitute the Lumagen or one of those HDR curves posted by Peter do they work just as well in terms of the meta data or is that lost by not using the pj for the HDR10/HDR10 Reference? (With the Lumagen I assume you turn gamma in the pj off?) Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Correct, it purely depends on Contrast Enhancer setting, if you set it to off, blacks will be leveled up if you set brightness to 60, so I find with Contrast Enhancer set to full, Brightness 50
Then in Lumagen I do adjust black level to 0.50 to regain back details, you need to use Adjustable pattern.
First you set your brightness in Reference pattern, but remember changing Contrast Enhancer at Sony will directly impact on the black level adjusting.
Then when you are happy I do fine tune in Adjustable pattern via Lumagen setting black.
I don't use internal PJ tone mapping for HDR, therefore I don't have this problem, but I guess you'll need to use HDR10 test patterns for adjusting black, as no doubt settings will be different.
jqmn is offline  
post #41 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 06:54 AM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi there.

That is an extremely interesting finding.
I am (and many others I am sure) very interested to find out if it is in fact 18Gbps capable which in my view all their projectors from 2015/16 onwards should have been anyway.

Cheers.
I forgot to mention that SONY VW760ES accepts 18Ghz input signal no problem from OPPO-UDP203 if connected direct, its the Lumagen doesn't see that the display is capable, from what I've been told by Jim Peterson, that such devices like OPPO they ignore the EDID of display unit, when you select Output Resolution, so it forces to send the signal 18Ghz, where Lumagen doesn't do it, it always checks/reads EDID of display unit, and so far we assume that SONY sends incorrect EDID code or it needs to be read in a different way, we are working together I do report to their support team, in order to fix that problem. It also could be a Cable problem, I'll receive tomorrow the cables that confirmed Lumagen Pro should work correctly with 18Ghz signals. I'll report you later guys in that thread.
Eventidal likes this.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #42 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
jqmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I am wondering if there is something off with the Sony EDID as I have had sound issues that didn't exist before. In one case, since I use dual AVRs the color space gets kicked to 709 and in the other I couldn't get DTSMA to play (defaulted to stereo). The only change here was taking out a 350ES and inserting the 885ES. I have tried to save off the Sony EDID but when I try to open it in an EDID editor it says there is a problem with the header and essentially drops all the CEA extension information. The good news is I have the Oppo-203 arriving today and I will see if it changes what happens.
roxiedog13 likes this.
jqmn is offline  
post #43 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 AM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
I am wondering if there is something off with the Sony EDID as I have had sound issues that didn't exist before. In one case, since I use dual AVRs the color space gets kicked to 709 and in the other I couldn't get DTSMA to play (defaulted to stereo). The only change here was taking out a 350ES and inserting the 885ES. I have tried to save off the Sony EDID but when I try to open it in an EDID editor it says there is a problem with the header and essentially drops all the CEA extension information. The good news is I have the Oppo-203 arriving today and I will see if it changes what happens.
As I understand it could be the reason why Lumagen Pro doesn't see its capable of 18Ghz device, so it might be that Sony will release firmware upgrade for those units if they will acknowledge the problem.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #44 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
jqmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I forgot to mention that I brought the HDFury Linker into the system to grab the 885ES EDID and it cannot show the incoming or outgoing info you would normally see in the Linker app. I reinstalled the Linker f/w and it was still a no-go. Very strange.
jqmn is offline  
post #45 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,905
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
I'll tell you what, Sony needs their ass kicked for this projector. I am completely blown away with the performance of the 885 out the box. My wife is also. We can't believe that the 885 provides so much more of a performance increase over the 675. And it's an immediate and very noticeable difference. I wasn't expecting that at all. The colors are far more vibrant, the blacks are much darker, the entire image is super crisp and razor sharp but super smooth and silky at the same time. Unfreakingbelievable. You just have to see it. I was worried that the extra $10K wouldn't be justified based on the comments I've read on other threads. But hey, I have no idea what those people saw. Maybe something was a little off with the European units because I don't see any of what I read about on my unit but the hint of green on the pixel patterns. My wife kept talking about how black the black is and it is... black. It kind of messes with your head a little it looks so good.

Everything we've played on it is like watching it for the first time. The 3D is phenomenal. Damn near 4D at times. If 3D looked like this in the theater, there is absolutely no way it would have fell out of popularity. And the lens is a significant improvement over the 675. All this time I thought I was just getting old because I would see some odd things when trying to focus and find the sweet spot. A little blur, bloom, etc. Not with this one. Crisp from corner to corner. So sharp in fact, it took me hardly no time to dial the image in.

When going through the Disney WOW disc, I did notice a touch of the green moire that people were talking about on certain pixel patterns but haven't decided if I wanted the fix done or not because I don't want to mess up the Black Levels. If I could just get rid of the green and leave every other setting intact until Chad B blows this way, I will do it. It will only make the image the 885 produces even better. Chime in if you know the answer to this.

Also, on another note, for those of you who want to try it. Change your Bright TV setting to the HDR settings Dave Harper came up with for the 675. I was surprised it worked so well on the 885 also. The Harpervision tweak is shockingly impressive and made The Revenant look far better and brighter over the stock HDR settings. I even game on my PS4 Pro with these settings. Eye candy for sure. You can find them here: The HarperVision Experience.

More to come.
What your are experiencing is exactly what I have been hearing from Germany and Switzerland . Owners there who had VW550 (675) and X750 ( RS500) series are marveling at all this brings additionally to what they had before . Razor sharpness, increased brightness , perfect fade to black and better contrast.


There is a reason the VW885 is sold out in many countries , as are ALL the new Sony 4K projector models in fact . It's certainly not because of the lowest price nor any kind of deficiencies .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 12-13-2017 at 08:13 AM.
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #46 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Member
 
*Mori*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
My wife kept talking about how black the black is and it is... black. It kind of messes with your head a little it looks so good.
Smart girl with a trained eye it seems ... In my first comments about my new toy I had written that the best for me are the blacks and the sharpness. In the meanwhile I have already sold both my X7000 and VW300 and miss neither of them. The VW760 /885 plays is in higher league than those.

P.S. Never really liked 3D. I may change my mind after having had a first session ! That looked indeed excellent.
*Mori* is online now  
post #47 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Usually a lurker, but proud to say I'm the owner of this beautiful projector since last Friday! The picture is gorgeous, coming from a JVC X7500 (RS520) and a Sony VW500ES (VW600ES) before that. Black levels, sharpness, colours, everything picture quality wise is superb. My dealer already prepared the service menu 'trick' for me to get rid of the green smearing discussed in the other topic, so I wasn't bothered by that.

HOWEVER, and this is a serious problem for me, 23p (and also 24p) mode in UHD resolution (3840x2160) using a PC (WIN10) is not working correctly. It looks like a HDMI handshake problem of some sort. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and always sooner or later the problem is returning. E.g. after a while playing (usually within a couple of minutes) a movie or just a static Win10 desktop at those framerates, the screen goes black (one half, then the other, then total). I tries to reconnect or handshake again and again, mostly unsuccessful. I tried all the different colorspaces and dynamic ranges available in Windows, tried all options in de VW760 (standard/enhanced mode, dynamic range limited/full), none successful. Tried re-installing Windows10, different Nvidia drivers, with AVR (Denon X7200WA) in chain or direct connecting PC to VW760. Nothing works.

Important to notice is that 50p and 60p in RGB-FULL (8bit) work just fine, also switching between these. And I'm also pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with my playback chain or cables. I've used this exact setup with my previous JVC X7500 (also full 18gbit). My typical usecase (as advised by the creator of Madvr) is using RGB-FULL 60p 8bit for desktop use and RGB-FULL 23,976 (23p in Windows) 12bit for 24p content, which my JVC did without any problems.

@jqmn and @SoulOfUniverse comments about the strange EDID behaviour trigger me. As further investigating leads me to believe there's either something wrong with the EDID or it has problems with the full 18gbit bandwidth. So just now I tried to read out the EDID for the Sony and this looks really off. It says manufacture date 2013, no uhd/4k resolutions specified.

Maybe my PC does force a EDID read out frequently and is this causing my problem? And the Shield and X800 don't do this? Any ideas?

Next I might try a Win10 EDID override in the registry. Maybe that works...

My complete setup:
HTPC (win10, nvidia 1080ti gpu, madvr)
Denon X7200WA AVR
Sony VW760
Certified full 18gbit HDMI cables
roxiedog13 likes this.
invad3r is offline  
post #48 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,803
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11991 Post(s)
Liked: 9504
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassiousPassius View Post
Bottom detail. The mounts will be an issue for me. My old panamorph A lens setup needs a bigger frame to support it. I’m going to have to get a new chief mount and zoom until I decide what my A lens options are.

ISCO x1.25 or Panamorph paladin. My issue is I’m 15 feet projector to screen and the Paladin needs 16ft min to avoid the barrel distortion. Is there a min throw distance for the ISCO lens? 138” diagonal 2.35:1 screen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Which Chief mount will you be using? I'm hoping that my current Chief VCM is compatible. Would you mind providing measurements for mount screw distances?

Regards.[/QUOTE]

Why not do what I did. Make a completely separate mount support system for the A-lens. Then you could make it so that it can easily fit any projector. Mine easily adjusts forward, back, right, left and up/down. If you would like info, send me an email.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #49 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Here's the EDID read out I made using MonInfo.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sony-vw760-edid.txt (6.8 KB, 46 views)
invad3r is offline  
post #50 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 09:24 AM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by invad3r View Post
Usually a lurker, but proud to say I'm the owner of this beautiful projector since last Friday! The picture is gorgeous, coming from a JVC X7500 (RS520) and a Sony VW500ES (VW600ES) before that. Black levels, sharpness, colours, everything picture quality wise is superb. My dealer already prepared the service menu 'trick' for me to get rid of the green smearing discussed in the other topic, so I wasn't bothered by that.



HOWEVER, and this is a serious problem for me, 23p (and also 24p) mode in UHD resolution (3840x2160) using a PC (WIN10) is not working correctly. It looks like a HDMI handshake problem of some sort. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and always sooner or later the problem is returning. E.g. after a while playing (usually within a couple of minutes) a movie or just a static Win10 desktop at those framerates, the screen goes black (one half, then the other, then total). I tries to reconnect or handshake again and again, mostly unsuccessful. I tried all the different colorspaces and dynamic ranges available in Windows, tried all options in de VW760 (standard/enhanced mode, dynamic range limited/full), none successful. Tried re-installing Windows10, different Nvidia drivers, with AVR (Denon X7200WA) in chain or direct connecting PC to VW760. Nothing works.



Important to notice is that 50p and 60p in RGB-FULL (8bit) work just fine, also switching between these. And I'm also pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with my playback chain or cables. I've used this exact setup with my previous JVC X7500 (also full 18gbit). My typical usecase (as advised by the creator of Madvr) is using RGB-FULL 60p 8bit for desktop use and RGB-FULL 23,976 (23p in Windows) 12bit for 24p content, which my JVC did without any problems.


@jqmn and @SoulOfUniverse comments about the strange EDID behaviour trigger me. As further investigating leads me to believe there's either something wrong with the EDID or it has problems with the full 18gbit bandwidth. So just now I tried to read out the EDID for the Sony and this looks really off. It says manufacture date 2013, no uhd/4k resolutions specified.



Maybe my PC does force a EDID read out frequently and is this causing my problem? And the Shield and X800 don't do this? Any ideas?



Next I might try a Win10 EDID override in the registry. Maybe that works...



My complete setup:

HTPC (win10, nvidia 1080ti gpu, madvr)

Denon X7200WA AVR

Sony VW760

Certified full 18gbit HDMI cables


Ok I used to run the setup on HTPX using madVR and best possible picture I could get was using YCbCr 4:2:2 in pc 12 bit and in madVR you should choose full not limited video.
Try that approach and see if it works. Set HDMI Auto range, and Enhanced in SONY. And send 4:2:2 12 bit signal. I used to have 960ti which supported hevc decoder and it worked flawlessly, I do own 1080ti as well but I find setup using Oppo udp-203 with nas servers is way much better color wise and greyscale.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #51 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Member
 
otismojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
This content is not 2.35:1, its more like 16:9 therefore you need to use 1.78:1 zoom not 2.35


So I’m an idiot. That dang Transformers movie was the whole issue. Was the first 4K HDR title I grabbed. The movie jumps around from one aspect ratio to the next repeatedly. No wonder I couldn’t figure it out. Super huge thanks for this one. It’s now zoomed and the picture is amazing.





Again crappy iPhone X photos only here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
roxiedog13 likes this.

Last edited by otismojo; 12-13-2017 at 09:49 AM.
otismojo is offline  
post #52 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,914
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6706 Post(s)
Liked: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
I'll tell you what, Sony needs their ass kicked for this projector. I am completely blown away with the performance of the 885 out the box. My wife is also. We can't believe that the 885 provides so much more of a performance increase over the 675. And it's an immediate and very noticeable difference. I wasn't expecting that at all. The colors are far more vibrant, the blacks are much darker, the entire image is super crisp and razor sharp but super smooth and silky at the same time. Unfreakingbelievable. You just have to see it. I was worried that the extra $10K wouldn't be justified based on the comments I've read on other threads. But hey, I have no idea what those people saw. Maybe something was a little off with the European units because I don't see any of what I read about on my unit but the hint of green on the pixel patterns. My wife kept talking about how black the black is and it is... black. It kind of messes with your head a little it looks so good.

Everything we've played on it is like watching it for the first time. The 3D is phenomenal. Damn near 4D at times. If 3D looked like this in the theater, there is absolutely no way it would have fell out of popularity. And the lens is a significant improvement over the 675. All this time I thought I was just getting old because I would see some odd things when trying to focus and find the sweet spot. A little blur, bloom, etc. Not with this one. Crisp from corner to corner. So sharp in fact, it took me hardly no time to dial the image in.

When going through the Disney WOW disc, I did notice a touch of the green moire that people were talking about on certain pixel patterns but haven't decided if I wanted the fix done or not because I don't want to mess up the Black Levels. If I could just get rid of the green and leave every other setting intact until Chad B blows this way, I will do it. It will only make the image the 885 produces even better. Chime in if you know the answer to this.

Also, on another note, for those of you who want to try it. Change your Bright TV setting to the HDR settings Dave Harper came up with for the 675. I was surprised it worked so well on the 885 also. The Harpervision tweak is shockingly impressive and made The Revenant look far better and brighter over the stock HDR settings. I even game on my PS4 Pro with these settings. Eye candy for sure. You can find them here: The HarperVision Experience.

More to come.
There is just something about 4K and laser that really looks amazing, isn't there ? Time to re - watch all of your favorite movies !
joerod, phara, Dragnet and 3 others like this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #53 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,914
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6706 Post(s)
Liked: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
What your are experiencing is exactly what I have been hearing from Germany and Switzerland . Owners there who had VW550 (675) and X750 ( RS500) series are marveling at all this brings additionally to what they had before . Razor sharpness, increased brightness , perfect fade to black and better contrast.


There is a reason the VW885 is sold out in many countries , as are ALL the new Sony 4K projector models in fact . It's certainly not because of the lowest price nor any kind of deficiencies .
When does yours arrive ? Hopefully before Xmas !
joerod and SoulOfUniverse like this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #54 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Member
 
otismojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Playing around with settings. I now see the black level can’t match my old JVC D-ILA projector, but the picture is so much better I don’t care. Again out of the box settings only so I’m expecting even more once calibrated.

The dynamic contrast setting makes a huge difference to my eyes. I have it set to high and with HDR content it’s pretty profound how much it elevates the contrast. Some might argue it’s over processed, but to my eyes I like it.

Set laser to 70-80 is pretty bright for HDR on my 138” diagonal 2:35:1 ST130 screen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Craig Peer and phara like this.
otismojo is offline  
post #55 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,905
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismojo View Post
Playing around with settings. I now see the black level can’t match my old JVC D-ILA projector, but the picture is so much better I don’t care. Again out of the box settings only so I’m expecting even more once calibrated.

The dynamic contrast setting makes a huge difference to my eyes. I have it set to high and with HDR content it’s pretty profound how much it elevates the contrast. Some might argue it’s over processed, but to my eyes I like it.

Set laser to 70-80 is pretty bright for HDR on my 138” diagonal 2:35:1 ST130 screen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Another VW760 owner reported similar results with identical screen size as yours ( 138' diagonal scope) though his was 1.1 gain , he was satisfied with HDR running 70% laser . I'd call that mid laser for sure . What are you running on
non HDR content , laser level that is ?

This projector is doable on a screen in the 150" range
though even better with anamorphic lens . Once the screen size gets as large as this the anamorphic lens really helps to punch out another 25% more brightness, but also equally important, 25% more detail as you will be using the entire 16:9
image instead of using the crop and zoom method .

The only reservation I had upgrading from my previous projectors the Sony VW675 & JVC RS600 was additional brightness. This projector is way ahead of those obviously and certainly brighter than the 2000 lumens original suggested.
The 1600 calibrated has been exceeded , it appears the 1800 range that Werner ( Jetsen) first reported is more in line, Ekki confirmed 1700-1800 . Great news indeed .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #56 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

This projector is doable on a screen in the 150" range
though even better with anamorphic lens . Once the screen size gets as large as this the anamorphic lens really helps to punch out another 25% more brightness, but also equally important, 25% more detail as you will be using the entire 16:9
image instead of using the crop and zoom method .
.
I'm getting ready to install an 885 next week into a new dedicated HT build. 153" Stewart Studiotek 130 (1.3 gain) microperf, in a 2:37 aspect ratio. Putting an ISCO 1.25x lens in front of it. Hopeful we'll hit 30fl+ for HDR. Will let you know how it goes!
phara and roxiedog13 like this.
Pirate_at_40 is offline  
post #57 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 AM
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6365
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #58 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 11:05 AM
 
Al Leong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 2,491
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
I'll tell you what, Sony needs their ass kicked for this projector. I am completely blown away with the performance of the 885 out the box. My wife is also. We can't believe that the 885 provides so much more of a performance increase over the 675.
Thanks to ARROW for making this thread. I've been struggling with going 5000es, sticking with with 675 or bumping up to 885. This post has helped me in my considerations.. thanks.
roxiedog13 and dmillionz like this.
Al Leong is offline  
post #59 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Iam74Gibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a couple of Dilemma's, and one question ... first dilemma , this projector is out of my price range (US Dollars $25k) :-( , second dilemma... I live in a rural area and can only get 23mb down for streaming... I currently have a VPL-VW500ES... while non-HDR, it is 4k... So... streaming 4k content is borderline at best... it looks ok, but I am not sure how it "could" look until I see it with faster bandwidth... I suspect that the upscaling of the projector has a lot to do with it looking at least "ok"

So, that brings my question... Does the 885/760 upscaling work well? Has anyone tried? If so, would you know if it is much improved over an older Sony like I have? This is a big part of any major financial decision I may make...

I am sure the 885 vs my older 500es will be a night and day improvement on UHD blurays... but bandwidth for streaming may be an issue for me.

on a side note... I have 2 friends... (well, more than 2, because I am such an awesome guy :-) , I live in the Houston TX area... one of my friends is from London, and another's wife is from Japan... they both have relatives there they visit quite often... this is making the wheels turn in my head... I know the downside of warranty support, and I am not trying to be cheap, but I think I will at least explore the possibility if they brought a 760es back on their next trip, what the price difference would be.... I have read that it can be up to 50% .... I just wish SONY would treat all customers as 'Global" and have a standard price for the product.

if anyone knows, please advise on the upscaling...

thx
Iam74Gibson is offline  
post #60 of 4784 Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,905
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Thanks to ARROW for making this thread. I've been struggling with going 5000es, sticking with with 675 or bumping up to 885. This post has helped me in my considerations.. thanks.
The 5000 was not an option for me, just too much projector for my theater/screen size . I also had the VW675 and wondered if I really made the right decision. If you go to the VW885/760 owners thread and see the reactions of those
who have made the same transition, you will soon realize this is more than a worthy upgrade . Good thing as my VW675 is long gone, my VW885 will arrive within the week . I made the leap of faith 3 months ago, following the early reports
that were indeed accurate . My biggest concern was the brightness increase expected from the VW675 level to the VW885. The levels reported clearly indicate this is a substantial increase, even more than I had realized especially at this
price point.
dmillionz likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off