Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 209 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3848Likes

post #6241 of 6318 Old 02-14-2020, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyto View Post
@garyolearysteele Noisy fan? How noisy, i raised the noise question circa early 2018 and was shot down by the folks who were around that time, my fan spools up and spools down on static scenes (like xbox menu) and while not loud, is certainly not whisper client and VERY noticeable even over quiet scenes in movies.
So for me it wasn't the volume but rather the sound itself. Rather than a constant fan sound, or even a ramp up and down, it was more of a rattle. To me it sounds like an old mechanical hard drive that's copying a large file and clicking away, or a while thought it was the external drive in my PS4. With a normal fan sound you can tune it out, but the irregular noise mine was making became too distracting.

Ironically, since the repair the fan is louder, but now its more of a uniform sound. Dropping down the laser output from max to 80-90 reduces the noise down to a whisper. I have 2 identically calibrated presets, one at max one at 83. Flicking between the two on any scene ive tried and i cant see a difference at all
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6318 Old 02-14-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Hi, I haven't been around since 2018, i am on 8.004 do you know of a link to something that summarizes the issues above, for example what's the near black thing?
Hi,

I don't have a summary, if you look over the messages submitted by Archibald1 you will see some examples. In brief, since a recent update, i think 8.100, some near black scenes exhibit artifacts in some dark areas of the image, to me they look bit like compression artifacts (blocky noise) that are quite common with OLED TV's when using netflix etc. I have 8.004 and i cant see any, i've been able to capture something similar but it seems far less of an issue and difficult to spot with the eye.

Based on what i've seen, i'm sticking with 8.004, however doing so means missing out on the new features like dynamic iris... For me it aint broke at the moment so im gonna hold off in the hope Sony fixes the issue.

Anyone had any responses to their support queries on this one ?
Archibald1 likes this.
post #6243 of 6318 Old 02-14-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyolearysteele View Post
Anyone had any responses to their support queries on this one ?
Nothing as yet for me.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6244 of 6318 Old 02-14-2020, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Dropping down the laser output from max to 80-90 reduces the noise down to a whisper. I have 2 identically calibrated presets, one at max one at 83. Flicking between the two on any scene ive tried and i cant see a difference at all
Interesting, may i ask where is your PJ located (mine is above my head) I ask because mine is most definitely not a whisper, it is the noise of noisy PC fan and GPU fan operating at full tilt. For example playing a game i can hear it over the music of the game, in movies even in non-silent scenes it is absolutely quite audible even at 75 over dialog and music. It may be because of where i have it located it also may be because I am single side deaf (like totally no hearing in one ear) - this is relatively new for me and means i loose out on the brains DSP like functions to discriminate noise, echo reduction, white noise reduction etc (the brain and the auditory nerves are quite amazing at what they do).

I have been trying to find someone who would be willing to use a db meter so that a)i find out i have an issue on my unit or b)so that i can accept it is normal and STFU lol :-)
To be clear it is about as loud as my old Runco DLP - which has listed operating db levels much higher than the sony....

To be clear i am happy with the PJ, just want to make sure my expensive purchase is operating as intended.
BTW i put the new firmware on, not sure I noticed much difference while HDR gaming, and no black crush / macroblocking like issues - need to do some 4K movie testing next.

A projector, some seats, a screen, oh a receiver and some speakers i guess, and a few consoles, an AT-AT, and a Millenium Falcon i need to unbox and have a display table made...
post #6245 of 6318 Old 02-14-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Dropping down the laser output from max to 80-90 reduces the noise down to a whisper. I have 2 identically calibrated presets, one at max one at 83. Flicking between the two on any scene ive tried and i cant see a difference at all
Interesting, may i ask where is your PJ located (mine is above my head) I ask because mine is most definitely not a whisper, it is the noise of noisy PC fan and GPU fan operating at full tilt. For example playing a game i can hear it over the music of the game, in movies even in non-silent scenes it is absolutely quite audible even at 75 over dialog and music. It may be because of where i have it located it also may be because I am single side deaf (like totally no hearing in one ear) - this is relatively new for me and means i loose out on the brains DSP like functions to discriminate noise, echo reduction, white noise reduction etc (the brain and the auditory nerves are quite amazing at what they do).

I have been trying to find someone who would be willing to use a db meter so that a)i find out i have an issue on my unit or b)so that i can accept it is normal and STFU lol 🙂
To be clear it is about as loud as my old Runco DLP - which has listed operating db levels much higher than the sony....

To be clear i am happy with the PJ, just want to make sure my expensive purchase is operating as intended.
BTW i put the new firmware on, not sure I noticed much difference while HDR gaming, and no black crush / macroblocking like issues - need to do some 4K movie testing next.

When I say whisper quiet I mean relatively compared to other projectors I’ve had. Projector is almost above my head, slightly back. At 83 laser output it’s quiet enough that I don’t notice it during use, tho I can certainly hear it during a quiet scene, if I’m listening for it. At Max laser output since the repair it’s too loud tbh. If you haven’t tried yet, lower the laser output to 83 ish, in my setup it makes a huge difference to the fan noise and I can’t see a light output difference, even when really looking for it it light and dark scenes (flicking between the two values, 83 and max)

Before mine went in for repair, the noise issue only materialised after an hour of use. Day before it went in it randomly stopped. If this is p*ssing you off, I’m sure they’ll take it in and replace the fan. I’d be surprised if they analysed mine that much, costs more paying an engineer that changing the fan and shipping it out.
scyto and Archibald1 like this.
post #6246 of 6318 Old 02-14-2020, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Ah, I see, so the Envy will have to go through patch Tuesday every month like a regular PC then?

Probably somekind of embedded W10 version. However I think that the MadVR software itself will undergo lots of updates in the years to come but that is being tested now and should be fully automatic as I understand it.
MOberhardt likes this.
post #6247 of 6318 Old 02-14-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
Probably somekind of embedded W10 version. However I think that the MadVR software itself will undergo lots of updates in the years to come but that is being tested now and should be fully automatic as I understand it.
I await some reviews/comparisons of full retail units with interest.
MOberhardt likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #6248 of 6318 Old 02-14-2020, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Ok, the Dolby Vision hack on those devices that can have a custom Dolby string. I’ve done a fairly quick measurement on my screen and projector, and used the new calculation tool, so it won’t be perfect on yours, but it does tame the red push significantly on mine.

Code:
eb:01:46:D0:00:45:03:90:92:3E:13:97
Red .6304, .3166
Green .2835, .6196
Blue .1670, .0901

See how it does for yours if you wish. Measurements done with Lightspace and an i1 OEM.
Archibald1 likes this.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 subs, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Sony UBP-X700, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #6249 of 6318 Old 02-15-2020, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have been trying to find someone who would be willing to use a db meter so that a)i find out i have an issue on my unit or b)so that i can accept it is normal and STFU lol :-)

Quote:
When I say whisper quiet I mean relatively compared to other projectors I’ve had. Projector is almost above my head, slightly back. At 83 laser output it’s quiet enough that I don’t notice it during use, tho I can certainly hear it during a quiet scene, if I’m listening for it. At Max laser output since the repair it’s too loud tbh. If you haven’t tried yet, lower the laser output to 83 ish, in my setup it makes a huge difference to the fan noise and I can’t see a light output difference, even when really looking for it it light and dark scenes (flicking between the two values, 83 and max)

Before mine went in for repair, the noise issue only materialised after an hour of use. Day before it went in it randomly stopped. If this is p*ssing you off, I’m sure they’ll take it in and replace the fan. I’d be surprised if they analysed mine that much, costs more paying an engineer that changing the fan and shipping it out.
Scyto, I think you may have answered your own question there. As Garyolearysteele mentioned the fans are quiet, but it is relative. I can certainly hear my fans even on low output if I just try to, but they are not intrusive and it is an easily ignorable whooshing noise.

I suspect yours is perfectly normal.

I also sit directly under mine and it is 3 feet above my head when I am sat down in the prime spot. If you are gaming and using game mode, I suspect the laser will be set high, possibly at maximum. When I set mine to 100% laser the fan does become audible even during movies but it is still something that I can zone out.

However I have my laser set to 85 for HDR and it is quieter than my 550ES was on high lamp.

Stephen Hawking.
post #6250 of 6318 Old 02-15-2020, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
Ok, the Dolby Vision hack on those devices that can have a custom Dolby string. I’ve done a fairly quick measurement on my screen and projector, and used the new calculation tool, so it won’t be perfect on yours, but it does tame the red push significantly on mine.

Code:
eb:01:46:D0:00:45:03:90:92:3E:13:97
Red .6304, .3166
Green .2835, .6196
Blue .1670, .0901

See how it does for yours if you wish. Measurements done with Lightspace and an i1 OEM.
Hi.

Thanks for your work on this.

However, is it possible you could give more succinct instructions on what one needs to do with that data please? Also what are those colour numbers for and where would one input those as well? I have a Vertex 2.

Many thanks.

Stephen Hawking.
post #6251 of 6318 Old 02-15-2020, 07:35 AM

@Archibald1 @garyolearysteele thanks to both of you, I am sure you are right, I don’t get to choose to ignore sound unfortunately anymore due to the one ear :-)

I would never have raised the question other than Sony’s BS dBm measurements in the marketing material.

I have only achieved those measurements when laser is totally off (like a 100% black scene). If you ever get a dB meter (unlikely) I would be interested in your findings.

Thanks again for helping, maybe I will stay hanging around here as we now seem to be populated with actual owners long term owners!
Archibald1 likes this.

A projector, some seats, a screen, oh a receiver and some speakers i guess, and a few consoles, an AT-AT, and a Millenium Falcon i need to unbox and have a display table made...

Last edited by scyto; 02-15-2020 at 07:54 AM.
post #6252 of 6318 Old 02-15-2020, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Archibald1 @garyolearysteele thanks to both of you, I am sure you are right, I don’t get to choose to ignore sound unfortunately anymore due to the one ear :-)

I would never have raised the question other than Sony’s BS dBm measurements in the marketing material.

I have only achieved those measurements when laser is totally off (like a 100% black scene). If you ever get a dB meter (unlikely) I would be interested in your findings.

Thanks again for helping, maybe I will stay hanging around here as we now seem to be populated with actual owners long term owners!
No probs.
And here is why I am a long term owner.....

I wish some others would put up some pics as well. They don't show just how good it looks to the eye (even more subtlety in person) but they give an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7726.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	536.6 KB
ID:	2685190   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7734.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	948.4 KB
ID:	2685192   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7739.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	2685194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7611.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	2685198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7612.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	660.2 KB
ID:	2685200  

Name:	DSC_7615.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	952.6 KB
ID:	2685202  
woofer likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #6253 of 6318 Old 02-15-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
No probs.
And here is why I am a long term owner.....

I wish some others would put up some pics as well. They don't show just how good it looks to the eye (even more subtlety in person) but they give an idea.
Yeah, I could do some iPhone pictures..... the stability of the image is something that the pictures can never do justice too either. Laser light source is so different to a bulb.

Here is random one from early 2018
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC07512D-A017-464E-81F4-6F3447D70C34.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	2685210  
Archibald1 likes this.

post #6254 of 6318 Old 02-15-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I could do some iPhone pictures..... the stability of the image is something that the pictures can never do justice too either. Laser light source is so different to a bulb.

Here is random one from early 2018
Yup, no going back to bulbs for me!

I just use my camera phone on auto to take pics.

What game is that from?

Stephen Hawking.
post #6255 of 6318 Old 02-15-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:

What game is that from?
Either first or second tomb raider game, in 4k HDR on Xbox one X.
Of my 900 hours on the projector 90% is games, I did 250+ hours on AC Odyssey over the last year alone.
Archibald1 likes this.

post #6256 of 6318 Old 02-15-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
However, is it possible you could give more succinct instructions on what one needs to do with that data please? Also what are those colour numbers for and where would one input those as well? I have a Vertex 2.
Yup, really straightforward. Go to the HDR/DV tab of the Vertex 2, and type/paste them in the box below (don’t worry about the extra zeros, it’ll add them itself). Then click send.

Also, make sure you tick “ Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV (for ATV only) ” above it, and click “send HDR”, otherwise the Sony won’t kick into HDR automatically.

That’s it! I’ll post a better string in about an hour or so, if you can wait?

EDIT: here’s a better string:

Code:
 eb:01:46:d0:00:45:03:80:92:3e:13:97
The other numbers are the co-ordinates for red, green and blue on my projector. They aren’t needed by the Vertex 2 at all, but they are useful if anyone needs to compare my results with any calibration they’ve had done to see if it’s near enough for them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1BA3F2B9-056F-4FBE-88F2-BB87D8EF6D0B.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	2685334  
MOberhardt and Archibald1 like this.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 subs, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Sony UBP-X700, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics Hi Contrast 130" screen

Last edited by vollans; 02-15-2020 at 02:02 PM.
post #6257 of 6318 Old 02-15-2020, 03:04 PM

After some suggestions in the other place, this may be better again due to blue limits in the Dolby Vision string:

Code:
 eb:01:46:d0:00:45:03:80:92:3e:0f:8f
Pär Lundvik and Archibald1 like this.

post #6258 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Either first or second tomb raider game, in 4k HDR on Xbox one X.
Of my 900 hours on the projector 90% is games, I did 250+ hours on AC Odyssey over the last year alone.
Nice going. How long did it take you to put those 900 hours on it?

Stephen Hawking.
post #6259 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup, really straightforward. Go to the HDR/DV tab of the Vertex 2, and type/paste them in the box below (don’t worry about the extra zeros, it’ll add them itself). Then click send.

Also, make sure you tick “ Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV (for ATV only) ” above it, and click “send HDR”, otherwise the Sony won’t kick into HDR automatically.

That’s it! I’ll post a better string in about an hour or so, if you can wait?

EDIT: here’s a better string:

Code:
 eb:01:46:d0:00:45:03:80:92:3e:13:97
The other numbers are the co-ordinates for red, green and blue on my projector. They aren’t needed by the Vertex 2 at all, but they are useful if anyone needs to compare my results with any calibration they’ve had done to see if it’s near enough for them.
Thanks.

Stephen Hawking.
post #6260 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 2529
Quote:
Here,here...
post #6261 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After some suggestions in the other place, this may be better again due to blue limits in the Dolby Vision string:

Code:
 eb:01:46:d0:00:45:03:80:92:3e:0f:8f
Do you need to send this string every time you power on or is it a send once and that is it deal?

As in, does it survive power cycles on all kit?

Stephen Hawking.
post #6262 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 03:42 AM

Quote:
As in, does it survive power cycles on all kit?
Set once and forget, thankfully! I’ve settled on this so far as my preferred string

Code:
eb:01:46:d0:00:45:03:60:92:3e:0f:8f
It works great with HDR materials (Prince of Darkness is calmed, Wizard of Oz looks absolutely stunning!) and HD materials (Star Trek works great in both land scenes and space scenes, and older materials like UFO look almost too good).
Pär Lundvik and Archibald1 like this.

post #6263 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Set once and forget, thankfully! I’ve settled on this so far as my preferred string

Code:
It works great with HDR materials (Prince of Darkness is calmed, Wizard of Oz looks absolutely stunning!) and HD materials (Star Trek works great in both land scenes and space scenes, and older materials like UFO look almost too good).
Good stuff. Cheers.

Stephen Hawking.
post #6264 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Code:
So, is it best to use the custom DV string with custom EDID or Automix EDID on the EDID page?

Also, do these EDIDs still advertise 3D capability to the source?

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 02-16-2020 at 05:51 AM.
post #6265 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Nice going. How long did it take you to put those 900 hours on it?
2 years 3 months.

post #6266 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
So, is it best to use the custom DV string with custom EDID or Automix EDID on the EDID page?

Also, do these EDIDs still advertise 3D capability to the source?
I go for Automix - that way it grabs the EDID from the projector and basically inserts the Dolby Vision string into it, rather than it being approximately correct. The result is info about all the capabilities of the projector are passed through, not just those in the EDID you have chosen or uploaded. If you go Automix you can ensure things like 3D are passed.
Archibald1 likes this.

post #6267 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I go for Automix - that way it grabs the EDID from the projector and basically inserts the Dolby Vision string into it, rather than it being approximately correct. The result is info about all the capabilities of the projector are passed through, not just those in the EDID you have chosen or uploaded. If you go Automix you can ensure things like 3D are passed.
Thanks for that.

Thing is, my Vertex 2 is in between my sources and my AVR, so it doesn't directly see the PJ EDID.

So what are your exact settings then?

I am thinking:
Automix with audio out and the DV string custom flags box checked on the EDID page

and

Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV (for ATV only) box checked on the DV/HDR page.

Something like that?

Stephen Hawking.
post #6268 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thing is, my Vertex 2 is in between my sources and my AVR, so it doesn't directly see the PJ EDID.
That's not a problem - the projector passes the EDID to the AVR, the AVR then adds its changes to the EDID (mainly to do with sound, or any resolution limits it has). The result is your Vertex 2 will have the merged EDID passed to it.
Quote:
I am thinking:
Automix with audio out and the DV string custom flags box checked on the EDID page
Go for Full Audio. That allows anything basically to pass for audio. Yes, tick the option for DV.
Quote:
Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV (for ATV only) box checked on the DV/HDR page.
Yup, that's the one. You can also tick the box to not pass Dolby Vision to TX0 and TX1 as it's not needed. It doesn't seem to do any harm to pass it, but at least the Vertex will report more accurately what it being passed and used by the projector.
Archibald1 likes this.

post #6269 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's not a problem - the projector passes the EDID to the AVR, the AVR then adds its changes to the EDID (mainly to do with sound, or any resolution limits it has). The result is your Vertex 2 will have the merged EDID passed to it.

Go for Full Audio. That allows anything basically to pass for audio. Yes, tick the option for DV.

Yup, that's the one. You can also tick the box to not pass Dolby Vision to TX0 and TX1 as it's not needed. It doesn't seem to do any harm to pass it, but at least the Vertex will report more accurately what it being passed and used by the projector.
Cool.

Do you need to do anything else in the HDR METADATA GENERATOR section or is it straight on to the CONSTRUCT CUSTOM DOLBY VISION DATA BLOCK to input the custom string that has been posted?

Stephen Hawking.
post #6270 of 6318 Old 02-16-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Do you need to do anything else in the HDR METADATA GENERATOR section or is it straight on to the CONSTRUCT CUSTOM DOLBY VISION DATA BLOCK to input the custom string that has been posted?
That's a personal taste thing. I used the HDR10Ref profile on the 760, so I set the HDR to be limited to 1000 NITS. If you use the default HDR10 profile, then you can leave it alone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page