Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3111Likes

post #1201 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 01:49 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1199 View Post
Regarding the above... Oppo still tells me it's outputting HDR BT2020, even with the PJ set to HDR off but leaving colour space at BT2020 and Oppo outputting true to source (i.e. HDR for HDR). I admit this bit had me confused but if the info page says thats what it's outputting then that would be correct?
Oh I see what you mean, you switch HDR from Auto to Off at Projector level? Yes this is absolutely fine, I thought initially you switched it off at OPPO level. So you still use HDR Auto at OPPO level, which sends HDR signal with its PQ EOTF Gamma and Colour Gamma? In that case I still think you should send strip metadata off at Oppo level, if you want to use ColourSpace BT2020 and use a custom gamma approach.
jon1199 likes this.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Oh I see what you mean, you switch HDR from Auto to Off at Projector level? Yes this is absolutely fine, I thought initially you switched it off at OPPO level. So you still use HDR Auto at OPPO level, which sends HDR signal with its PQ EOTF Gamma and Colour Gamma? In that case I still think you should send strip metadata off at Oppo level, if you want to use ColourSpace BT2020 and use a custom gamma approach.
Soul, would you mind doing me a little favor? I wouldn't ask here normally but considering this involves the lumagen and VW760/885 it is obviously appropriate. My lumagen is switching to 3D mode automatically when it should not, the disc used is 1080 not a 3D disc , that is the weird part.

If I run a 1080 2D blu-ray through my Oppo or Panasonic to the Lumagen by default, it will output 4K up-scaled, everything in that condition is fine. I prefer to have the projector upscale 4K for various reasons , this is where I have an issue . When I go into the Lumagen and change the output to 1080 from 4K it automatically switches to 3D , again this is not a 3D disc . I'm trying to input/output 1080 24p from the lumagen . I have tried everything so far with Jim Peterson to resolve this without success .

Since you have the same projector I thought I might ask you to try this yourself. In the even there is some strange interaction with the VW760 I figured best to have someone with the same equipment demonstrate, see how it manifests .

I've already eliminated the other components in the chain , we have tried everything possible to isolate a trigger externally before sending the unit in , even reinstalled the current firmware . I figured might as well eliminate the projector from the list you are the only one I know for sure have all of the components on hand .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #1203 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 141
FWIW

I followed @ConnecTEDDD advice and redid SDR to Laser Min yesterday.

Contrast dropped from 15K+ : 1 to 11K+ : 1; primaries, secondaries, all saturations and grayscale were easier to get less than 1 dE. Black level dropped a touch as well. In the past there was no way to get Blue below 0.015 or so while R/G waver around 0.006. Now Blue dropped to 0.010. Unmasked black bars are not black-black but for one film I was using for comparison purposes the black bars were darker than the film's black level. All according to HCFR.

For the first time a grayscale ramp looked perfect all the way out to peak white and beyond. In the past getting peak white and beyond still looked a little off even though the meter said it was OK. Total fL dropped to low 17. Even though contrast went down perceived contrast on some film clips went up due to what I would imagine (literally, since I don't know) was the far less light being put out and what that was doing human iris-wise. Now I can get back to HDR tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3747 Post(s)
Liked: 6376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
@Kris Deering **Sorry for edits - wasn't posting correctly**

I am often in agreement with you on most things but I totally disagree with you on this position.

I swear this whole thread is like people are living in LaLaLand. I just can’t help but scratch my head at some of the things being said here.

You out of all people should understand that screen selection is just as important as projector selection. You wouldn’t pair a 5000ES with a 100” 2.4 gain screen and then say the projector is “defective” because it puts out too much light. That’s just nonsense. Nor is the RS4500 defective because it couldn’t even properly light up a 13’ wide negative gain AT screen.

Screen selection has ALWAYS been important and can absolutely effect the overall performance of the system. This will remain the case until we finally replace projectors with LED tiles or whatever else.

Personally I don’t know how anyone could watch a 2.4 gain screen. I guess it’s because they don’t know what a reference screen, like the ST100 looks like. The difference is night and day. I would not only consider that screen a compromise for SDR but I would also consider that screen a compromise with HDR, because of all the horrible side effects of a screen like that.

I get that many people are use to fairly dim units. Personally, I don’t understand how anyone can enjoy 14fL for SDR content. 20-25fL should be the absolute minimum target for Home Theater in my opinion. You are the one who pointed out we aren’t just trying to match the pitiful performance of “cinema projectors”

You have made multiple comments that 5000ES owner’s are either too lazy or incompetent to take detailed measurements on their projector. I don’t know why you keep repeating this. There has been plenty of measurements taken. I have taken plenty and I know Ken Whitcomb has as well, along with LJG (Lon Goldstein), and others.

Not only that, but when you said you couldn’t get a 5000ES for review, I personally offered to pay for one and have it shipped to you, so you could do a review on it. Unfortunately S&V declined the offer, and you didn’t have any interest in reviewing the unit independently at the time.

None of the 5000ES owners, at least the ones I know personally, are using dynamic dimming. They don’t want the side effects that come from gamma manipulations, light fluctuations, etc, that come from dynamic tricks. They all pretty much gained a 5x native Contrast Increase from 3-chip DLP, which was the only option prior, so we are satisfied with step up.

We would all welcome better units. We all want brighter and higher contrast units. We want closer to full rec2020. We want them cool and quiet. But we have to work with what we currently have available.

The JVC RS4500 had massive problems on release. It was one of the most disappointing units I had ever bought “Initially”. I was as loud as a 3-chip DLP, with a fraction of the light output. And for people who need a lot of light, the fact remains the native contrast of the JVC chips are 1/3 less than the native contrast of the Sony’s chip. Neither company has been able to make higher contrast native 4K chips.

The RS4500s “Dynamic Dimming” was completely unusable on initial release. It was always adjusting a frame or two to late or something and you would get a quick flash of light between scene changes or at the wrong time. Both units I had, have massive focus drift, and this still haven’t been resolved. I shouldn’t have to touch up the unit every couple days or each week. But the good news is things have improved. But there are still guys like Mark_H who still don’t use or like the dynamic manipulations of the image.

This is one reason I really like my RS600. I get a lot of native contrast and don’t have to use the dynamic iris. I can’t stand it on either of the JVC units, when things like Netflix menus are so dim, you can barely even see them and there is significant color shift. The Netflix white spinning wheel is suppose to be bright white and not a super dull/dim yellow.

Again, I don’t think the 885 is perfect. But I don’t think either of my 5000s are perfect. Nor do I think the RS4500 is perfect. But everyone who bought the 885 knew it didn’t have a manual or adjustable iris. And I still don’t believe one is ever coming to the 885.

I do fully believe they could work on the dynamic laser dimming and release future firmware updates. I wouldn’t solely base the “development” of this for the 885 off the 5000ES.

The 5000ES is built off a commercial chassis, and I don’t think there was ever a huge focus on this, as Sony is the only company to date to offer such high native contrast on such high brightness units. At least I don’t know of any other units that do 4000+ lumens at 15-17k:1 native Contrast.

I’m also not surprised to hear you went back to an E-shift JVC, as you were one of the few people who didn’t just say the RS4500 is perfect and the best at everything. You gave it both praise and critique. It also seemed like you were never completely happy with the step down in native contrast between the two units.

The 20% contrast loss between 0 power and 100 power on the 885 is just not that big of a deal, and not something anyone is going to notice. It would be nice if they could possibly dim the laser down “more” for those who have small high-gain screens, so they can target a lower fL if so desired.

But I think the best solution Sony can provide moving forward is giving some more “dimming range” on the laser, and then working on what is essentially a non-functioning dynamic dimming system. Both of these things could be addressed via firmware and I do believe Sony is likely to do so.

Was great talking to you on the phone yesterday Chris. Glad to hear that once we talked we were on the same page. I do find it funny that most of the complaining that is going on here has more to do with people not understanding my complaints and then basically saying they want the same thing, they just didn't understand the conversation enough to know it. But what else is new at AVS??

We'll see how it all plays out in the end. Sony will hear enough in the review, but they've heard most of it before and haven't done anything so hard to say if we'll see changes this time around. I'm with you that I don't think there is any real change of seeing the iris implemented in this design. I could see them tweaking the dimming range though. The dynamic dimming is unfortunate given how good Sony does with dynamic iris support, so we'll see there.
avkv, ccool96 and baseball0618 like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #1205 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering;
Was great talking to you on the phone yesterday Chris. Glad to hear that once we talked we were on the same page. I do find it funny that most of the complaining that is going on here has more to do with people not understanding my complaints and then basically saying they want the same thing, they just didn't understand the conversation enough to know it. But what else is new at AVS??

We'll see how it all plays out in the end. Sony will hear enough in the review, but they've heard most of it before and haven't done anything so hard to say if we'll see changes this time around. I'm with you that I don't think there is any real change of seeing the iris implemented in this design. I could see them tweaking the dimming range though. The dynamic dimming is unfortunate given how good Sony does with dynamic iris support, so we'll see there.

Yes, it was great to talk to you as well. We are completely on the same page.

I do hope they can make some changes to the allow the laser to dim down further for people who need less light. I also hope they will tweak the firmware for their dynamic dimming, as it offers no real benefit in its current form.

But I completely agree that it’s highly unlikely we will see anything done with the mechanical iris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
woofer and baseball0618 like this.
post #1206 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I’m still waiting on my 885 even though it was ordered mid Nov. Hopefully it will be arriving soon as I have reserved the services of a traveling profession calibrator on Jan 21st.

I have a few questions.

1) When a firmware update is released, will applying it negate all of the calibration settings especially if the iris is enabled? I realize that it will depend on what has be changed the projector, but in other people’s experience, have people needed to completely recalibrate their other projectors after an update?

2) What projector presets should I ask for on the calibrations? I assume 4K HDR, 4K SDR, and 3D. Any others?

Thanks for the input.

Sony VPL-VW885ES; Stewart CineCurve 130 G3 105”; ISCO IIIL anamorphic lens with CineSlide; Yahama AVENTAGE CX-A5100; Classe CA-5200; Theta Dreadnaught IIIx5ch; PS Audio Stellar S300 Stereo Amplifier; B&W Signature in Tigers Eye: HTM center, 805x2 LR, SCMx4 surrounds; Origin Acoustics D57x2 & D39x2 Atmos; Revel Ultima Sub30x2; Panasonic DB-UB820; Xbox One X; HTPC - Thermaltake Luxa2 LM200, Evga Nvidia 1080Ti FTW3, Intel i7-8700k
post #1207 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
Contrast dropped from 15K+ : 1 to 11K+ : 1; primaries, secondaries, all saturations and grayscale were easier to get less than 1 dE. Black level dropped a touch as well. In the past there was no way to get Blue below 0.015 or so while R/G waver around 0.006. Now Blue dropped to 0.010.
That difference in the makeup of the black level is interesting. Unfortunately, it is the opposite direction as we want. The human eye has a hard time seeing red in dark stuff and a much easier time seeing blue. We don't generally take this into account when measuring on/off CR, but it does matter and we could. Blue is only supposed to be about 6% or 7% of the image for our sources and your measurements have it much higher than that for black.

In general, an on/off CR of 11K:1 where black is weighted toward red will look like more CR to humans than 11K:1 weighted toward blue (other than whether the difference is enough to get over the Just Noticeable Difference threshold).

--Darin
Wookii and ARROW-AV like this.
post #1208 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Thanks. By reading some of your posts I realize these are areas you are way ahead of on the curve (like light years, no pun intended) compared to where am. In practical terms, I am not sure there is anything I can do about this (other than using the dynamic dimming function that has side effects); or is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp View Post
That difference in the makeup of the black level is interesting. Unfortunately, it is the opposite direction as we want. The human eye has a hard time seeing red in dark stuff and a much easier time seeing blue. We don't generally take this into account when measuring on/off CR, but it does matter and we could. Blue is only supposed to be about 6% or 7% of the image for our sources and your measurements have it much higher than that for black.

In general, an on/off CR of 11K:1 where black is weighted toward red will look like more CR to humans than 11K:1 weighted toward blue (other than whether the difference is enough to get over the Just Noticeable Difference threshold).

--Darin
post #1209 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
In practical terms, I am not sure there is anything I can do about this (other than using the dynamic dimming function that has side effects); or is there?
I don't think there is much you can do. Pretty much part of the design.

BTW: How did you measure those minimum blue and R/G levels? I wonder if your meter has enough accuracy to be reliable for those down low.

If you turn the dynamic dimming off and look at a full black image, does it look like it skews toward blue? A white piece of paper near the projector would probably show the color balance of black pretty clearly.

Thanks,
Darin
ARROW-AV likes this.

Last edited by darinp; 01-10-2018 at 11:21 AM.
post #1210 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1199 View Post
Thanks for the reply and thanks for uploading ur settings in combo with the Lumagen. I'm deciding whether to factor another purchase of the Lumagen Pro but it is not cheap here in Australia. Especially when u have to factor in the 18GHz boards as well.

Regarding the above... Oppo still tells me it's outputting HDR BT2020, even with the PJ set to HDR off but leaving colour space at BT2020 and Oppo outputting true to source (i.e. HDR for HDR). I admit this bit had me confused but if the info page says thats what it's outputting then that would be correct?

HDR off is at PJ level so I can access the gamma option
But Oppo level - I've let it just send whatever the source is. (Oppo info button tells me output is BT2020)
I've then calibrated the colorspace / CMS for BT2020 ending up with colour similar to HDR auto (PJ level) but better shadow detail because I have been able to access the gamma curves.

Hope that all made sense :-) and pretty sure thats what Oppo has been 'telling' me via the info button but I will need to double-check again when i get home.

Thanks.
You're doing it exactly like I do. I tend to try to use the Gamma 8 curve, until it's unbearable from a darkness perspective, when I switch to Gamma 9.

You have to excuse me Soul, if I misunderstand something, but I do not believe you should strip the metadata when running custom curves. You should instead, just like Jon is doing, turn the Sony option for HDR from Auto to Off. As far as I'm aware the only thing the HDR choice in the Sony projectors do is to apply the built in Sony HDR curve, the one some deem to be a bit on the dim side. So signal is full HDR BT.2020 from the player (I'm running a UB900 with HDR fully "on"). Turning HDR off gives you the "SDR option" of selecting gamma curves, and you then manually choose the curve of your liking!

It would be interesting if someone collected some curves specifically made to their liking for the 760ES/885ES, in the way Dutyfree and Omardis did for the the 260/360/285/385. In the meantime I'm running with their curves, since I honestly don't know where to start in perfecting PQ EOTF!
jon1199 likes this.

Sony VPL-VW760ES | Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130 G3 2.35:1 138" | Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 | Yamaha Aventage MX-A5000 | Bowers & Wilkins CM9 (2) - CMCenter2 (1) - DS3 (4) - CCM684 (4) - ASW10CM (1) | Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Oppo BDP-203 | Toshiba HD-EP10 | Pioneer DVL-919 | Yamaha ADP-1 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4

Last edited by Peak; 01-10-2018 at 12:06 PM.
post #1211 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 01:15 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Soul, would you mind doing me a little favor? I wouldn't ask here normally but considering this involves the lumagen and VW760/885 it is obviously appropriate. My lumagen is switching to 3D mode automatically when it should not, the disc used is 1080 not a 3D disc , that is the weird part.

If I run a 1080 2D blu-ray through my Oppo or Panasonic to the Lumagen by default, it will output 4K up-scaled, everything in that condition is fine. I prefer to have the projector upscale 4K for various reasons , this is where I have an issue . When I go into the Lumagen and change the output to 1080 from 4K it automatically switches to 3D , again this is not a 3D disc . I'm trying to input/output 1080 24p from the lumagen . I have tried everything so far with Jim Peterson to resolve this without success .

Since you have the same projector I thought I might ask you to try this yourself. In the even there is some strange interaction with the VW760 I figured best to have someone with the same equipment demonstrate, see how it manifests .

I've already eliminated the other components in the chain , we have tried everything possible to isolate a trigger externally before sending the unit in , even reinstalled the current firmware . I figured might as well eliminate the projector from the list you are the only one I know for sure have all of the components on hand .

Hye Roxy is it happening with any blu ray 1080p disc or a particular one? I have all collections on NAS servers native rips so never had issues like youve described when playing over SMB network. I will check soon playing blu ray disc at oppo. I also do Upscaling at Projector level.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #1212 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hye Roxy is it happening with any blu ray 1080p disc or a particular one? I have all collections on NAS servers native rips so never had issues like youve described when playing over SMB network. I will check soon playing blu ray disc at oppo. I also do Upscaling at Projector level.

Appears to happen with any bluray 1080 disc played through my Oppo 203 or Panasonic UB900 . Appreciate your feedback.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #1213 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak View Post
You're doing it exactly like I do. I tend to try to use the Gamma 8 curve, until it's unbearable from a darkness perspective, when I switch to Gamma 9.

You have to excuse me Soul, if I misunderstand something, but I do not believe you should strip the metadata when running custom curves. You should instead, just like Jon is doing, turn the Sony option for HDR from Auto to Off. As far as I'm aware the only thing the HDR choice in the Sony projectors do is to apply the built in Sony HDR curve, the one some deem to be a bit on the dim side. So signal is full HDR BT.2020 from the player (I'm running a UB900 with HDR fully "on"). Turning HDR off gives you the "SDR option" of selecting gamma curves, and you then manually choose the curve of your liking!

It would be interesting if someone collected some curves specifically made to their liking for the 760ES/885ES, in the way Dutyfree and Omardis did for the the 260/360/285/385. In the meantime I'm running with their curves, since I honestly don't know where to start in perfecting PQ EOTF!
@Peak If you haven't read through this before he talks about the PQ ETOF around the 6:30 mark . If I recall he calibrated HDR with the contrast slider set at the 54 level , certainly lower than most have this set . I'm just getting around to this myself, will be interested to know how you make out. Do realize this is the pre-production model, please take that into consideration.

Last edited by roxiedog13; 01-11-2018 at 04:39 AM.
post #1214 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I'm going to quit fiddling with the projector and just enjoy the image for now, waiting for the inevitable firmware update and interested in Sony's reponse to the manual iris (Not that I need it, but it seems like another fun option to fiddle with).

Everything that has lots of vivid colors is extremely impressive on this projector, I really like how bright the projector is. Also, the sharpness never ceases to amaze me, it's impressive to shift between 1080p and 2160p and see the immense increase in sharpness, it's really worlds apart. Of course, as I said before a lot really depends on the source. Playing games on a powerful HTPC is a must to see what it can achieve, as this type of content has a constant 100% focus with a high motion sharpness due to a constant 60FPS framerate. Playing Assassin's Creed Origins for instance is an eye-opener, it's really just unbelievable.

And again, anything with vivid colors is also very impressive. Though not 4k, Odin's Sphere is again unbelievable. Same with Ori and the Blind forest.

For people that don't play games and want to know what I'm talking about. Just take a peak at this 4k trailer:

Very impressive on this projector.
joerod and dmillionz like this.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
post #1215 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 03:28 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:
Appears to happen with any bluray 1080 disc played through my Oppo 203 or Panasonic UB900 . Appreciate your feedback.

Hey Roxie just checked mad max no issues :
https://i.imgur.com/xXTrar1.jpg

post #1216 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey Roxie just checked mad max no issues :
https://i.imgur.com/xXTrar1.jpg

Excellent thanks. I figured the same just wanted to pass this on to Lumagen .

post #1217 of 4726 Old 01-10-2018, 04:16 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:
Excellent thanks. I figured the same just wanted to pass this on to Lumagen .

You might have locked your input to 3d, try pressing MENU 030 this will revert back to 2d as normal

post #1218 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You might have locked your input to 3d, try pressing MENU 030 this will revert back to 2d as normal
Don't think it's locked, in the menu it still shows 2D even though it's outputting 3D . I tried actual 3D content , the menu showed the same (3D) as it should be, the movie played without issue .

Definitely will try what you are suggesting, thanks for the tip. Could very well be something like this, what ever it is certainly not typical .

3D on this projector is simply amazing, the additional brightness and pop in colors the laser provides adds significantly to the process . Ghosting is comparable to the last two projectors I have owned, basically infrequent enough to be virtually insignificant. What is interesting is that the artifacts I also see on occasion is exactly the same as what was noticeable on the VW675 under the same conditions. Those conditions are: running a 3D 1080 movie, up-scaled to 4K and using full motion control . There were some that suggested the 13.5gbs HDMI on the VW675 the limiting factor , not the case at all . The current projector with 18gbs and extreme processor does no better in those conditions , that is surprising .

I'm not watching much 3D anyway, even less with FI . 4K HDR is the preference I choose now over most 3D titles, keeps the double dipping to a minimum .

Still would be nice to get around the artifacts I see for 3D in those conditions. Will have a look at my setup see if I can do something about it . Anyone else noticing this BTW , have some solutions ?

Last edited by roxiedog13; 01-11-2018 at 05:08 AM.
post #1219 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:

I have the same setup but always output 4K from the Pro. Any reason you are sending 1080P to your projector? Picture looks great with 4K outputting from the Pro for my 1080P sources especially newer content. I also upscale Dish 1080i content to 4K and that looks great, especially sports. I did a full factory reset on the Pro when I replaced my RS600. SJ
post #1220 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
I have the same setup but always output 4K from the Pro. Any reason you are sending 1080P to your projector? Picture looks great with 4K outputting from the Pro for my 1080P sources especially newer content. I also upscale Dish 1080i content to 4K and that looks great, especially sports. I did a full factory reset on the Pro when I replaced my RS600. SJ
Have to send 1080P to the projector when 3D otherwise you cannot view as such. The Sony will up-scale 3D to 4K internally then motion control can be used as necessary .

As you say though you have the choice to use the pro or projector to do the up-scaling, both have been reported to do a great job . I have one player set up for 1080P, the Oppo 203, the second player is set up for
4K, my Panasonic UB900 . It's certainly easier to let the lumagen up-scale which in fact is the way I do this except for 3D.

post #1221 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Have to send 1080P to the projector when 3D otherwise you cannot view as such. The Sony will up-scale 3D to 4K internally then motion control can be used as necessary .

As you say though you have the choice to use the pro or projector to do the up-scaling, both have been reported to do a great job . I have one player set up for 1080P, the Oppo 203, the second player is set up for
4K, my Panasonic UB900 . It's certainly easier to let the lumagen up-scale which in fact is the way I do this except for 3D.
Got it, I also send 1080P for 3D. Watched Avatar the other day and it looked fantastic. I really don’t watch much 3D, but may do this more with the 885 than my Rs600. Picture just seems more solid and less flicker. SJ
post #1222 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Got it, I also send 1080P for 3D. Watched Avatar the other day and it looked fantastic. I really don’t watch much 3D, but may do this more with the 885 than my Rs600. Picture just seems more solid and less flicker. SJ
A lot of people had problems with 3D flicker on JVC, I also had the RS600 did not have an issue with flicker , same with my VW675 . Both of those projectors were great for 3D compared to the VW885 however no contest . It's brighter
sharper and has more punch for color, the rest I would say is on par. I still see a little bit of ghosting, then again that is variable depending on content . Try running motion flow on high see if you see artifacts as I do.

post #1223 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Apologies my question, but I don’t want to read over 1000 post What is the expected Light Output from the user experience ? Between 1600-1800 at D65 or do we have brighter samples here in the forum?

I just try to understand how much brighter a 760 would be compared to my VW550..

Cheers
S.
post #1224 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post
Apologies my question, but I don’t want to read over 1000 post What is the expected Light Output from the user experience ? Between 1600-1800 at D65 or do we have brighter samples here in the forum?

I just try to understand how much brighter a 760 would be compared to my VW550..

Cheers
S.
I'm running 1800 @ SDR and 2000 @ HDR according to my calibrator, who was mighty impressed.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
post #1225 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Cheers
S.
I had the same projector a VW675, I switched to the VW885. Same screen same distance it is considerably brighter. In my current setup with VW885 I removed the anamorphic lens, then moved the projector back 4 feet . At 80% laser it is by my estimate the same brightness as the VW675 was at 100% lamp setting , same screen . VW760 has been measured 1830 calibrated by a couple now . VW550 new would be around 1600 calibrated after 250 hours I was showing 15-20% loss, by 1000 hours expect to loose 25%, this equates to the 1200 range . The delta is around 600 , what I have witnessed supports this . A brand new VW550/675 will be brightness obviously, after a while the Delta really opens up . Difference with the VW885 it does not degrade like a lamp , the realities of high time laser is still not known . A couple have reported laser drop after 2000 hours to be negligible.

Brightness you will notice, better contrast , increased sharpness and colors considerably more punchy . Nothing wrong with a VW675, all you have to do is increased ( if possible) the screen gain, add the anamorphic lens if better HDR is the goal . That worked in my case very well. I intend to run a larger screen and lower gain considerably in a new theater, my VW675 was still remarkable on my current screen even frro HDR. Have to add. The Lumagen HDR tone mapping alone made a huge difference, before that HDR was not impressive at all .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 01-11-2018 at 01:35 PM.
post #1226 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great thank you very much for the nice impression!

What me worries is you’re statement that after 2000h a drop of the brightness has been reported? How much exactly ? I have a 3,40 0.9Gain Stewart Greyhawk Screen and I really need every Lumen....
post #1227 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What me worries is you’re statement that after 2000h a drop of the brightness has been reported? How much exactly ? I have a 3,40 0.9Gain Stewart Greyhawk Screen and I really need every Lumen....
How is that possible? It's impossible to have the projector running for 2000 hours since it hasn't even been released that long in hours?

The only thing we know is the theoretical loss in brightness by calculating based on the spec of the laser engine. In other words, if we consider running the laser at 100% lumen and the light engine is specced at 20 000 hours for 50% reduction, 2000 hours will cause a drop in brightness of 5%, 4000 hours -> 10%, etc.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #1228 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak View Post

Peak, I loaded the gamma curves and found Gamma 9 best to tweak (left side of graph). Only needed very fine adjustments to lift some of the shadow detail otherwise 'black floor' is raised too much. I then save this and upload - Image director allows u to see the adjustments as they are done but you probably know that already. I find gamma 10 caused a lot of white clipping. I will have to try and find out how I can get hold of the Sony Projector Calibration Pro software which I understand allows 11 point grayscale adjustment as well.

Last edited by jon1199; 01-11-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #1229 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow I made it to post 900 and I cannot believe how much people talked about whispering and how loud this projector is or is not. Mine is above my head and I never hear it so I do not care how loud it is. I was hoping to read a lot more informative stuff other than if this projector is quiet or not. If you are watching something and the volume is up at all, you should not hear it. I sound bitter but more annoyed I am in a high end projector thread trying to find useful stuff and that has been a topic.

I am in no way as informed as someone like Arrow, who clearly knows his stuff. I just want to give me feedback on the projector. Maybe it will help some and maybe it won't.

I am a big gamer, but also watch a lot of tv and movies occasionally.

I did a ton of testing and I just am changing settings around to make the picture look as best as I can to me.

For gaming in 4K HDR I noticed you can turn up color to 73 or so to get a more vibrant HDR experience.
I noticed for NON HDR gaming you have to turn this color setting down
This is the same for TV streams on Neflix, Hulu, and cable. Maybe this is common sense but just wanted everyone to know my experience.

The contrast enhancer looks horrendous on just about all content I tested it on.

I will say that it actually made my ULTRA HD movies look better IMO.

Not sure why the movies seem to look good still. In dark scenes it seems like it's allowing a great contrast between blacks and whites.

Games its making everything so bright it makes my eyes hurt.

I have a 106 inch SI black diamond screen. I don't know if that is making a difference.

Also, noticed red is always most saturated color.

Ok thats my feedback. Overall absolutely love the projector. I have a 665es prior and this is night and day difference. Thanks and appreciate a lot of good info in the thread.
post #1230 of 4726 Old 01-11-2018, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think what I actually said was , a couple have reported negligible laser loss at 2000. One was just over 1000 hour mark the second around 2000 or so, basically there was no measureable loss. Nobody has a clue how this will pan out in the long run, manufacturers are saying we could expect around 50% loss by 20,000 hour mark running maximum light output . Do the math based on your own habits per year and expected light output . For my normal use I'd expect 33 years to make 50% and that is if I run on high, which I do not . If the degrading is linear it could be down 25% in 17 years, again, who knows . I think the point is, by the time it gets so severe you will want a replacement , it would be both worthless and obsolete anyway, essentially a throwaway .
*Mori* likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page