Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3111Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2221 of 4721 Old 05-14-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,768
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoote69 View Post
Will I notice the difference between 85% for the JVC and 90% for the Sony and is it worth giving up 40% of my lumens for 100%? I cant find anywhere in Dallas that has either one of these projectors set up for a screening. I cant believe the JVC with a filter calibrates to less than 1500 lumens!
You don't need to use the filter with the RS4500. I had Chad B calibrate mine without the filter ( with the filter didn't really look better to me anyway ) and install Arve's tool custom HDR gamma curves. It looks amazing. I have over 1500 lumens in mid laser. I'm getting 47 foot lamberts now in mid laser with HDR too. Shoot me an email if you want to discuss - let's let this thread go back to the topic of the VW885.
Craig Peer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2222 of 4721 Old 05-14-2018, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoffeldg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoote69 View Post
Will I notice the difference between 85% for the JVC and 90% for the Sony and is it worth giving up 40% of my lumens for 100%? I cant find anywhere in Dallas that has either one of these projectors set up for a screening. I cant believe the JVC with a filter calibrates to less than 1500 lumens!
You are going into a range of projectors that don't really have that much "margin" anymore anyway.

It is the same for the JVC RS4500 lens vs the Sony VWxxxES lens, is one better than the other? Yes. Will you notice it? No you won't.

Is the P3 coverage of the Sony better than the JVC without filter? Yes. Will you notice it? No you won't.

The only real questions you should ask yourself are:
1. How much lumen do you need
2. Do you really want a laser projector when the lamp based ones offer better contrast?

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+

Last edited by christoffeldg; 05-14-2018 at 04:12 PM.
christoffeldg is offline  
post #2223 of 4721 Old 05-15-2018, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
You are going into a range of projectors that don't really have that much "margin" anymore anyway.

It is the same for the JVC RS4500 lens vs the Sony VWxxxES lens, is one better than the other? Yes. Will you notice it? No you won't.

Is the P3 coverage of the Sony better than the JVC without filter? Yes. Will you notice it? No you won't.

The only real questions you should ask yourself are:
1. How much lumen do you need
2. Do you really want a laser projector when the lamp based ones offer better contrast?

The higher the P3 the more color coverage there is , those trying to trick the unsuspecting into believing it was a significant improvement used the feature as a selling tool. Vincent Teoh pointed out the significance of 5-10% as negligible except for HDR Rec 2020 , in scenes where the colors can cross into this area. Basically if watching older rec 709 movies it really does not matter, if you are watching newer movies Rec.2020 that are HDR then this becomes much more significant . It will not represent a monumental difference throughout the movie as many were trying to make us believe, but it does in fact impact the image especially with newer HDR movies moving forward. It becomes more significant as 4K HDR replace older movies, for me personally, it's all I have been watching especially after adding the Lumagen with it's superior HDR tone mapping features.



Contrast on the VW885 is actually very good and many that have moved from the VW675 have noticed a improvement overall, I certainly did . The VW885 is an improvement in so many ways, the one area I would think the VW675 bests it is both minor and infrequent at best. Even in scenes with higher APL the VW885 can produce an image that has a near 3D effect the VW675 never possessed. Colors now noticeably more punchy , has a pop the laser is responsible for, the lamp based projector did not possess . Images almost have a superimposed 3D effect, especially areas of central focus in the near field within any image. There's more to an image than contrast, otherwise I would have kept my RS600. The VW885 sets a new bar , I'm not backing up from this point onward , that's for sure.


I watched CoCo a few weeks ago, 4K HDR Rec.2020 , laser was running less than 50%, the image stunning . I could easily fill at 140" 1.3 gain screen running 4K HDR Rec.2020 with a little wiggle room, avoid having to run 100% all the time. That said, any of these laser projectors should be able to run 100% all the time , should become obsolescent tech wise long before it degrades to any significant amount.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 05-15-2018 at 08:30 PM.
roxiedog13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2224 of 4721 Old 05-16-2018, 04:13 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post



The only real questions you should ask yourself are:

1. How much lumen do you need

2. Do you really want a laser projector when the lamp based ones offer better contrast?

1. 5,000 plus
2. That depends on your use case, wants and needs from your projection system. For me, I want laser if it's possible and other attributes outweigh the loss of some of the native contrast.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2225 of 4721 Old 05-18-2018, 06:04 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoote69 View Post
Will I notice the difference between 85% for the JVC and 90% for the Sony and is it worth giving up 40% of my lumens for 100%? I cant find anywhere in Dallas that has either one of these projectors set up for a screening. I cant believe the JVC with a filter calibrates to less than 1500 lumens!
Hi Scooter, I am up beside Southlake if you want to see my 885es in action and get a bit of a first hand experience of one.
HoustonHoyaFan likes this.
Melmoth76 is offline  
post #2226 of 4721 Old 05-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi all,
I want to have two sources displayed side by side on my 885es. This will mostly be for gaming, but also some sports. I see on the lumagen website it says pip, but something about a future update. Will a lumagen do something like this, or do I need something else?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Garth Jacobsen is offline  
post #2227 of 4721 Old 05-19-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,638
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Jacobsen View Post
Hi all,
I want to have two sources displayed side by side on my 885es. This will mostly be for gaming, but also some sports. I see on the lumagen website it says pip, but something about a future update. Will a lumagen do something like this, or do I need something else?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk


Yes it will and you can use it to improve your HDR via the Intensity Mapping. It’s a good piece of gear.

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - Emotiva RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
kaotikr1 is online now  
post #2228 of 4721 Old 05-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
Yes it will and you can use it to improve your HDR via the Intensity Mapping. It’s a good piece of gear.
Great! I am using my oppo to do intensity mapping now but some have said it is not delivering the full bt2020. Would definitely get approval from the wife if I could get the other xbox out of the living room....

Any suggestions for a place to purchase?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Garth Jacobsen is offline  
post #2229 of 4721 Old 05-19-2018, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
cappy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: HHI
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Jacobsen View Post
Great! I am using my oppo to do intensity mapping now but some have said it is not delivering the full bt2020. Would definitely get approval from the wife if I could get the other xbox out of the living room....

Any suggestions for a place to purchase?
I bought mine through Tom Huffman at ChromaPure. Tom provides great support on his calibration software.
cappy1 is offline  
post #2230 of 4721 Old 05-20-2018, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,460
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Jacobsen View Post
Hi all,
I want to have two sources displayed side by side on my 885es. This will mostly be for gaming, but also some sports. I see on the lumagen website it says pip, but something about a future update. Will a lumagen do something like this, or do I need something else?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Just to be clear, the Lumagen Pro does not do this currently, but has the capability and we have heard it is still planned. Just other priorities for the unit. I had a previous model that did this and frankly loved playing games and also having a PIP/POP window with a sporting event. It is a cool feature. I’m looking forward to them adding this! SJ
roxiedog13 likes this.
SJHT is offline  
post #2231 of 4721 Old 05-20-2018, 09:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Bummer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Just to be clear, the Lumagen Pro does not do this currently, but has the capability and we have heard it is still planned. Just other priorities for the unit. I had a previous model that did this and frankly loved playing games and also having a PIP/POP window with a sporting event. It is a cool feature. I’m looking forward to them adding this! SJ
Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Garth Jacobsen is offline  
post #2232 of 4721 Old 05-22-2018, 04:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoote69 View Post
How big of a 16:9 screen has anyone used and still been able to get 30+ FTL, with acceptable contrast, without going beyond a 1.3x gain screen? weprojectorcalculator.com indicates 150" is doable. Is that accurate?
Was wondering the exact same thing Scoote69.

Sound+Vision said they got 27fL on a 148" diag 16:9 1.0 gain screen after calibration with the 885.

So a 1.3 gain screen at 150" diag 16:9 should be about 35fL.

I'm also curious why some folks think this is pushing it? What am I missing? Is it because some of you have projectors mounted far from the screen? Or you just don't want to run at full power?

35fL seems plenty bright if 30fL is the goal for HDR. SDR only needs half of that.
adhc is offline  
post #2233 of 4721 Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3747 Post(s)
Liked: 6376
Just an FYI. I am going to mount the 885ES in my room next week. I did the review shortly after having the 4500 for nearly a year. I've been using an RS600 now for a few months and thought I would try out the 885ES again to see if my impressions changed after having used an eShift projector for awhile. Thought it would be fun to get a fresh look at it, see how much I notice compared to an eShift machine, and I want to play around with the 885ES with a Lumagen to see how/if it benefits much from Lumagen's intensity mapping features. I'll chime in if I find anything noteworthy.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is online now  
post #2234 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 04:01 AM
Member
 
Peak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Just an FYI. I am going to mount the 885ES in my room next week. I did the review shortly after having the 4500 for nearly a year. I've been using an RS600 now for a few months and thought I would try out the 885ES again to see if my impressions changed after having used an eShift projector for awhile. Thought it would be fun to get a fresh look at it, see how much I notice compared to an eShift machine, and I want to play around with the 885ES with a Lumagen to see how/if it benefits much from Lumagen's intensity mapping features. I'll chime in if I find anything noteworthy.
Interesting! Would it be too much to ask of you to also take a look at HDR with ARVE curves, preferably getting your view on how that compares directly towards the Lumagen?

Sony VPL-VW760ES | Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130 G3 2.35:1 138" | Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 | Yamaha Aventage MX-A5000 | Bowers & Wilkins CM9 (2) - CMCenter2 (1) - DS3 (4) - CCM684 (4) - ASW10CM (1) | Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Oppo BDP-203 | Toshiba HD-EP10 | Pioneer DVL-919 | Yamaha ADP-1 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4
Peak is offline  
post #2235 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,460
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Just an FYI. I am going to mount the 885ES in my room next week. I did the review shortly after having the 4500 for nearly a year. I've been using an RS600 now for a few months and thought I would try out the 885ES again to see if my impressions changed after having used an eShift projector for awhile. Thought it would be fun to get a fresh look at it, see how much I notice compared to an eShift machine, and I want to play around with the 885ES with a Lumagen to see how/if it benefits much from Lumagen's intensity mapping features. I'll chime in if I find anything noteworthy.
Would appreciate if you could try the different options (SDR2020, HDR2020, etc.) with actual measurements based upon what some 5000 users are trying (e.g. how is the 885 handling things when sent a SDR2020 vs. HDR2020 signal). Also, if you change your current IM settings for <2000 and >2000. Thanks!
LJG likes this.
SJHT is offline  
post #2236 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3747 Post(s)
Liked: 6376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak View Post
Interesting! Would it be too much to ask of you to also take a look at HDR with ARVE curves, preferably getting your view on how that compares directly towards the Lumagen?
I can try loading some Arve curves though I suspect it will be similar in performance to what I see when I've used Arve with JVC. They do a great job overall, it just requires a bit more fiddling around to get what you want. Plus you need multiple curves for different content.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is online now  
post #2237 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3747 Post(s)
Liked: 6376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Would appreciate if you could try the different options (SDR2020, HDR2020, etc.) with actual measurements based upon what some 5000 users are trying (e.g. how is the 885 handling things when sent a SDR2020 vs. HDR2020 signal). Also, if you change your current IM settings for <2000 and >2000. Thanks!
I'll see if there are actual differences in color performance and such. Roxie is already using a Lumagen and seems to like it fine, so I'm not expecting there to be "issues", though I don't know if he is using SDR2020 or HDR2020.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is online now  
post #2238 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,460
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I'll see if there are actual differences in color performance and such. Roxie is already using a Lumagen and seems to like it fine, so I'm not expecting there to be "issues", though I don't know if he is using SDR2020 or HDR2020.
Ken Whitcomb set mine up with SDR2020 (using IM) and didn’t find any issues. He also setup a pass through to use the Sony’s HDR2020 (not using IM, but tweaked a separate CMS). Thanks. SJ
SJHT is offline  
post #2239 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Ken Whitcomb set mine up with SDR2020 (using IM) and didn’t find any issues. He also setup a pass through to use the Sony’s HDR2020 (not using IM, but tweaked a separate CMS). Thanks. SJ
Ken did the same setup for me with my 5000ES, 14' wide Vistascope Snomatte!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is online now  
post #2240 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Brookville, NY
Posts: 4,956
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Ken did the same setup for me with my 5000ES, 14' wide Vistascope Snomatte!
Ken also set my 5000es and Thrangs the same way. It's not a Ken or Lumagen issue at all. Just trying to understand what is unique if anything the 5000ES is doing with an SDR2020 signal vs an HDR2020 signal.
LJG is online now  
post #2241 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3747 Post(s)
Liked: 6376
Unfortunately no one that I know of in the Seattle area has a 5000ES and a Lumagen Radiance Pro or I'd try and go see for myself. But if anyone wants to send me their 5000ES, I'd be happy to try it out.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is online now  
post #2242 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Kris, I have the 385 and have loaded the German Curves using the Sony Image Director software. It seemed to make a huge difference over the original Sony default reference settings for HDR content.

Does the 885 work the same way and require using image director to load curves in SDR mode? Or does it have it's own software for playing with gamma curves and allow editing curves for HDR mode? It would be interesting to know if the German curves make a difference with the 885 or if it requires an entirely new set of curves due to the different nature of having a brighter laser compared to a lamp source.

Hopefully the 885 will come down in price in the US over the next few years as I really would rather have a laser 4K projector vs my current lamp projector. But at it's current US price, it just isn't an option.
GregCh is offline  
post #2243 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,602
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3747 Post(s)
Liked: 6376
It works the same in terms of loading, you would just create new curves based on the peak white level used. This is always the case with Arve curves, the tool is designed to create curves specifically for YOUR viewing situation. Loading pre made curves from others works, but is not ideal unless you know you are using a display with the same max luminance, and even then you have differences in subjective preference such as roll off, contrast performance, etc. Tone mapping is a very subjective application at the moment since there are no hard and fast rules in place.
DavidHir likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is online now  
post #2244 of 4721 Old 05-23-2018, 01:54 PM
Member
 
scoote69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The stores i talked to said 150" is too big. But I've skimmed through this thread and most report measured calibrated lumens around 1700-1830 which on a Stewart 1.3x screen should get you 35 ftl. Has anyone used the 885 on a 150" 16:9 screen? Is Sony coming out with a superior projector at Cedia?


Quote:
Originally Posted by adhc View Post
Was wondering the exact same thing Scoote69.

Sound+Vision said they got 27fL on a 148" diag 16:9 1.0 gain screen after calibration with the 885.

So a 1.3 gain screen at 150" diag 16:9 should be about 35fL.

I'm also curious why some folks think this is pushing it? What am I missing? Is it because some of you have projectors mounted far from the screen? Or you just don't want to run at full power?

35fL seems plenty bright if 30fL is the goal for HDR. SDR only needs half of that.

Last edited by scoote69; 05-24-2018 at 09:08 PM.
scoote69 is offline  
post #2245 of 4721 Old 05-25-2018, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
sacarmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indiana
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
mounts

Hi, just purchased this projector and wondering what ceiling mount people are using.


Thanks,
Scott
sacarmic is offline  
post #2246 of 4721 Old 05-26-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,046
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarmic View Post
Hi, just purchased this projector and wondering what ceiling mount people are using.


Thanks,
Scott
Hi.
I am using the Sony PSS-H10. Had it since my VW50 and used on my VW90 and VW550 too.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #2247 of 4721 Old 05-26-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.
I am using the Sony PSS-H10. Had it since my VW50 and used on my VW90 and VW550 too.

Same here, I re-used my Chief RPA Elite mount I had for my last three projectors including JVC and Sony. It had a Sony plate last time around , I had it in place within 30 minutes . If you add a anamorphic lens you would want a second mount IMHO. I managed to mount my A-lens with the projector on the same mount before, even with the projectors weighing 10 lb less I considered the 50lb limitation of the mount a little too light. It worked, but just barely. No A-lens it will not be an issue for any similar mount.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2248 of 4721 Old 05-26-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,460
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I'm using the Chief custom mount which was for the 675ES. My dealer told me that Sony used the same one in their showroom (when they swapped out their projector for an 885). Not sure why it doesn't even show up in the chief mount website as an option, but it is very solid. You can also just get a chief universal which several folks have used as well. SJ
roxiedog13 likes this.
SJHT is offline  
post #2249 of 4721 Old 05-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I am not sure if this is the right place to post, I just tried my 15m ruipro cable on my new Sony VW760ES/885 and it works really well. However it’s not working with Billy Lyn 60fps 4K bluray via my oppo 205. Does anyone have this issue or am I doing anything wrong here. I purchased this cables from great reviews and tests shown here. This cable works well on 1080 blurays and normal 4K blurays at 24fps.

I also took my cable to the dealer to try it on his setup and it only works intermittently on 60fps clips. In his own setup he uses a 10m FBBR ultra pro cables and it works flawlessly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
pcho is offline  
post #2250 of 4721 Old 05-26-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,460
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcho View Post
I am not sure if this is the right place to post, I just tried my 15m ruipro cable on my new Sony VW760ES/885 and it works really well. However it’s not working with Billy Lyn 60fps 4K bluray via my oppo 205. Does anyone have this issue or am I doing anything wrong here. I purchased this cables from great reviews and tests shown here. This cable works well on 1080 blurays and normal 4K blurays at 24fps.

I also took my cable to the dealer to try it on his setup and it only works intermittently on 60fps clips. In his own setup he uses a 10m FBBR ultra pro cables and it works flawlessly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Do you have your HDMI inputs set to "enhanced"? SJ
SJHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off