Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3247Likes

post #2941 of 4988 Old 07-26-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2782 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
Glad you like it; that seems to be a great tool with tons of flexibility and smart/passionate people pushing it forward. I keep thinking I need to give it a try but I would have to build from scratch so I have been putting it off.

I personally use the Lumagen , smart and passionate are all well and good, time is however another valuable component required when going the HTPC and MadVR route . The Lumagen is in no way a walk in the park overall , however the HDR function itself is amazing, the ability to do a finite calibration another of it's strengths . I did not have any satisfactory results with HDR using the projector alone, with the Lumagen it's a night and day difference, even on the VW675 and RS600 I had previously, in combination with the VW885 it's simply incredible .
tassop likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 4988 Old 07-26-2018, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Lot's of different ways to attack this new HDR stuff and the pj world is so far out of the industry's target zone that they are happy saying just use the BD. I actually had pretty good success building a substitute tone mapped curve using HCFR to do the modeling. It is static however and obviously can't use a UHD disc's metadata even if it was accurate. I thought I would try eeColor first since the Lumagen is so much more expensive and the max cube size is smaller. I do wish it wasn't a dead box with HDMI 1.3 though since passing thru 4k would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I personally use the Lumagen , smart and passionate are all well and good, time is however another valuable component required when going the HTPC and MadVR route . The Lumagen is in no way a walk in the park overall , however the HDR function itself is amazing, the ability to do a finite calibration another of it's strengths . I did not have any satisfactory results with HDR using the projector alone, with the Lumagen it's a night and day difference, even on the VW675 and RS600 I had previously, in combination with the VW885 it's simply incredible .
roxiedog13 likes this.
post #2943 of 4988 Old 07-26-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
Lot's of different ways to attack this new HDR stuff and the pj world is so far out of the industry's target zone that they are happy saying just use the BD. I actually had pretty good success building a substitute tone mapped curve using HCFR to do the modeling. It is static however and obviously can't use a UHD disc's metadata even if it was accurate. I thought I would try eeColor first since the Lumagen is so much more expensive and the max cube size is smaller. I do wish it wasn't a dead box with HDMI 1.3 though since passing thru 4k would be nice.

I'm fortunate at this point in my life the Lumagen is not a concern financially. For 40 years I managed to use sweat equity to build, design and fabricate that which I could not afford, now I only put the time into areas that are more interesting or necessary. My airplane for example takes most of my energy . When the projector fails to perform no biggie, when a aircraft component fails, the consequences can be a little more exciting . Agreed that HDR for projectors is crude, the price we pay for these are a premium it's shameful how they perform out of the box. Fortunately they're are solutions for everyone, the Lumagen does indeed provide dynamic tone mapping as I understand will be even improved again based on MaxCll MaxFALL data . Incredible solution, definitely not cheap.
tassop likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2944 of 4988 Old 07-27-2018, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 103
One reason i was a little hesitant to post my settings before calibration ( apart from it being potentially misleading) is that I have taken a different approach to testers/reviewers who have published theirs. Firstly , I tend to use the high contrast setting under cinema black pro as well as dynamic laser on limited or high. For HDR material, I still use the high contrast settings and the sliders to adjust brightness and contrast. Brightness gets kicked up a bit - which raises the black floor level/ reduces dynamic range to something projectors can handle. That goes up to around 54-58, and Contrast 75-85. With those settings I get a lot more pleasing results and in a fraction of the time than I could from Oppo tone mapping. And of course I am still getting BT2020 colour. I usually leave laser setting on high but I have reduced it to around 80 for a couple of movies.

For Bluray, laser setting is around 75-80, and I just use the standard gamma curves until I get the calibration done. Usually 2.6 .My screen is a 140", 2.37:1 ratio and the HDR and Bluray settings apply to the PJ being zoomed in to suit from a distance of 15 feet from the screen. I haven't fiddled with colour correction - Ive been very impressed with the 760ES out of the box. But the best laid plans can be thwarted when the movie makers do their arty farty thing and manipulate contrast/colour/resolution away from the norm. The movie "The Post" for example should never have been brought out as a UHD disc, they muted the colour palette, reduced dynamic range and lowered resolution for "artistic" effect. IMO, its more farty than arty, but what do I know?

For 16 x9 - Laser is in the 50's -60's - this is where a static iris control might be useful.
roxiedog13 and Archibald1 like this.
post #2945 of 4988 Old 07-27-2018, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassop View Post
One reason i was a little hesitant to post my settings before calibration ( apart from it being potentially misleading) is that I have taken a different approach to testers/reviewers who have published theirs. Firstly , I tend to use the high contrast setting under cinema black pro as well as dynamic laser on limited or high. For HDR material, I still use the high contrast settings and the sliders to adjust brightness and contrast. Brightness gets kicked up a bit - which raises the black floor level/ reduces dynamic range to something projectors can handle. That goes up to around 54-58, and Contrast 75-85. With those settings I get a lot more pleasing results and in a fraction of the time than I could from Oppo tone mapping. And of course I am still getting BT2020 colour. I usually leave laser setting on high but I have reduced it to around 80 for a couple of movies.

For Bluray, laser setting is around 75-80, and I just use the standard gamma curves until I get the calibration done. Usually 2.6 .My screen is a 140", 2.37:1 ratio and the HDR and Bluray settings apply to the PJ being zoomed in to suit from a distance of 15 feet from the screen. I haven't fiddled with colour correction - Ive been very impressed with the 760ES out of the box. But the best laid plans can be thwarted when the movie makers do their arty farty thing and manipulate contrast/colour/resolution away from the norm. The movie "The Post" for example should never have been brought out as a UHD disc, they muted the colour palette, reduced dynamic range and lowered resolution for "artistic" effect. IMO, its more farty than arty, but what do I know?

For 16 x9 - Laser is in the 50's -60's - this is where a static iris control might be useful.

Very much appreciate the feedback , we have come to some of the same conclusions/observations by the looks of your post . My screen is 134" diagonal 2.35:1 the gain is 1.5 range .Some of my observations are similar, but as expected my settings a little different , we have different screen size likely gain is not the same either . I'm still playing with gamma curves as well until I can find the time to do a full calibration, what is done now is basic overall . I'm in the middle of building a new home , new theater my equipment is in storage, once the new theater up and running I'll have more time to invest .

What is the gain for your screen? I have the same size ( 140" diagonal scope) planned for the new theater was thinking ST130 material a good compromise . I really prefer to go with a unity gain like the ST100 but at 140" I expect HDR will be marginal for my taste . I may wait to see what the new VW1200 has on tap later in the fall, if it's 3500 lumens range and HDR premium like the VW885 without a filter it may be my next transition . The VW885 will suffice at 140" with the ST130 based on the numbers I have already on the current screen , that I am confident about.

anamorphic lens

post #2946 of 4988 Old 07-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is the gain for your screen? I have the same size ( 140" diagonal scope) planned for the new theater was thinking ST130 material a good compromise . I really prefer to go with a unity gain like the ST100 but at 140" I expect HDR will be marginal for my taste . I may wait to see what the new VW1200 has on tap later in the fall, if it's 3500 lumens range and HDR premium like the VW885 without a filter it may be my next transition . The VW885 will suffice at 140" with the ST130 based on the numbers I have already on the current screen , that I am confident about.

anamorphic lens
My screen gain as quoted by the manufacturer is 1.26. Of course mounting distance of the PJ plays a part in the amount of light to play with. I mounted mine a bit closer than originally intended to maximise light availability. Sony's "2.35:1" aspect ratio utilising the full 4k panel helps in this regard. When zoomed in I have around 37 foot lambert of light which seems fine for HDR. Mounting the projector further back or using a lower gain screen would reduce that number though.
roxiedog13 likes this.
post #2947 of 4988 Old 07-28-2018, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 6891 Post(s)
Liked: 6579
Quote:
My screen gain as quoted by the manufacturer is 1.26. Of course mounting distance of the PJ plays a part in the amount of light to play with. I mounted mine a bit closer than originally intended to maximise light availability. Sony's "2.35:1" aspect ratio utilising the full 4k panel helps in this regard. When zoomed in I have around 37 foot lambert of light which seems fine for HDR. Mounting the projector further back or using a lower gain screen would reduce that number though.
I have the same material and I believe its far closer to 1.0 based on measurements from known lumens output vs readings from the screen. I am looking at importing a higher gain (proven) screen for next round.
tassop likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #2948 of 4988 Old 07-29-2018, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I have the same material and I believe its far closer to 1.0 based on measurements from known lumens output vs readings from the screen. I am looking at importing a higher gain (proven) screen for next round.

I'm having the ISF calibration done this week, I'll come back with readings that the calibrator takes. I did think that the new material provides for a brighter image than my previous screen but it would be good to know exactly what we are dealing with.
woofer likes this.
post #2949 of 4988 Old 07-29-2018, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
I'm having the ISF calibration done this week, I'll come back with readings that the calibrator takes. I did think that the new material provides for a brighter image than my previous screen but it would be good to know exactly what we are dealing with.
Most interested in this as well! I have the same screen material (Oztheatre) .
charlypittsburgh and tassop like this.
post #2950 of 4988 Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@tassop I didn't see you mention of what material that is, others seem to know . You say it's 1.26 gain others say it's 1.0 , do you know for sure? If you are getting 37FL on a 140" diagonal scope at 1.0 gain without a anamorphic lens that's pretty darn good , that comes out to 126nits, well ahead of where many determine HDR acceptable .

With my 134" diagonal scope at 1.6 gain my anamorphic lens and 17 ft throw I'm hitting close to 60FL, around 200 nits . Higher gain screens are a compromise , nothing is better than a matte white 1.0 unity gain material for both contrast and detail , any gain above this you have to accept the drawbacks . I'm going to a 140" ST130 or 134" ST100 , the VW885 has the brightness to do this on a descent size screen without having to compromise . This is the first projector that has given me the addition light capacity , now I have to decide best picture, or a bigger screen higher gain with the compromises .

Will be interesting to know what is the actual gain for your material, if it's actually 1.0 gain , 140" diagonal scope and no A-lens this will be great information for my decision moving forward . Obviously having the projector calibrated may shift this around somewhat, I'll be interested to know those results too.

Last edited by roxiedog13; 07-30-2018 at 04:53 AM.
post #2951 of 4988 Old 07-30-2018, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@tassop I didn't see you mention of what material that is, others seem to know . You say it's 1.26 gain others say it's 1.0 , do you know for sure? If you are getting 37FL on a 140" diagonal scope at 1.0 gain without a anamorphic lens that's pretty darn good , that comes out to 126nits, well ahead of where many determine HDR acceptable .

With my 134" diagonal scope at 1.6 gain my anamorphic lens and 17 ft throw I'm hitting close to 60FL, around 200 nits . Higher gain screens are a compromise , nothing is better than a matte white 1.0 unity gain material for both contrast and detail , any gain above this you have to accept the drawbacks . I'm going to a 140" ST130 or 134" ST100 , the VW885 has the brightness to do this on a descent size screen without having to compromise . This is the first projector that has given me the addition light capacity , now I have to decide best picture, or a bigger screen higher gain with the compromises .

Will be interesting to know what is the actual gain for your material, if it's actually 1.0 gain , 140" diagonal scope and no A-lens this will be great information for my decision moving forward . Obviously having the projector calibrated may shift this around somewhat, I'll be interested to know those results too.

This is a link to the screen material "Evo Ultra 4k". Official gain is listed as 1.26

http://www.ozts.com.au/fabrics.html

If the 1.26 number is wrong then my calculated FL will also be wrong but I did notice a brightness increase ( subjective) over my last screen which was supposed to be 1:1.

How far from the screen is your projector mounted? Getting it closer can make all the difference.
post #2952 of 4988 Old 07-30-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is a link to the screen material "Evo Ultra 4k". Official gain is listed as 1.26

If the 1.26 number is wrong then my calculated FL will also be wrong but I did notice a brightness increase ( subjective) over my last screen which was supposed to be 1:1.

How far from the screen is your projector mounted? Getting it closer can make all the difference.

My projector is around 16-17 feet throw, I actually had to move it back from the original positon/mounting because the VW885 was much brighter than the last projectors I had, a Sony VW675 & JVC RS600 . I made an adjustable mount that allows four feet of travel, I've been playing with the distance a little, tried a couple of anamorphic lens . Closer is better for brightness, longer throw better for contrast , my projector is in a middle of the road location .

post #2953 of 4988 Old 07-30-2018, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
My projector is around 16-17 feet throw, I actually had to move it back from the original positon/mounting because the VW885 was much brighter than the last projectors I had, a Sony VW675 & JVC RS600 . I made an adjustable mount that allows four feet of travel, I've been playing with the distance a little, tried a couple of anamorphic lens . Closer is better for brightness, longer throw better for contrast , my projector is in a middle of the road location .
Which lens did you decide on?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #2954 of 4988 Old 07-30-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If that screen was the gain it says it is, I should be getting these numbers relating to these lumens:

And I am definitely not. Tested with multiple projectors multiple lamps, all the readings were in the same ballpark, pretty much only seen 40fl once one a lamp a couple hours old, Which was 455 LUX on the meter, which for the screen size is 1770 lumens, but 40fl at that LUX value means 1.0 gain, I should have been looking at 50fl if it was even 1.2 gain, which is rubbish, never happened. Most common reading is 33fl in high lamp with filter, same deal, convert LUX by screen size etc... 1.0 gain pretty much every time.
tassop likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #2955 of 4988 Old 07-30-2018, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37

First movie with my new 885!! just viewing on the wall for now until my av guys get here.
post #2956 of 4988 Old 07-30-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Ribelin View Post

First movie with my new 885!! just viewing on the wall for now until my av guys get here.
Sahara?

-
post #2957 of 4988 Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Sahara?

Yes, even my non-movie wife watched it with me. None of my audio gear has been installed so we just used a Bluetooth speaker connected to my 4K AppleTV.
Javs likes this.
post #2958 of 4988 Old 07-31-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlypittsburgh View Post
Which lens did you decide on?

Neither, all is still a work in progress . I'm using the ISCO IIIL now with a curved screen , not sure if I'm going to use another curved or go with the Paladin DCR and a flat screen . Too busy with work and building a new home to decide . Both are great A-lens, different applications .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 07-31-2018 at 12:01 PM.
post #2959 of 4988 Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

actual lumens X screen area X actual screen gain = Foot Lamberts . Moving the projector closer will obviously be brighter, using a anamorphic lens will also increase brightness as will brightness preset chosen . The VW885 is a laser projector does not have the well documented dramatic drop all lamp based projectors have . I had a JVC RS600 and VW675 after 200 hours you can actually visually see a big difference in light output , it keeps going down from there . I never let a lamp exceed 800 hours before replacing it, even then I had waited much longer than I wanted .

A calibrated VW885 is coming out at 1850 lumens , a RS600 best case with brand new lamp is around 1600, around 250 hours out down 15-20% which is 1360, downward from there . This is why your VW885 can light up a screen so much better, compared to 2000 lumen rated lamp based projectors , bonus you don't have to continuously re-calibrate to compensate for dimming . You save on lamps and calibrators , most importantly the time involved and nuisance of the fluctuations. Once you calibrate ,you can literally set and forget .
HoustonHoyaFan likes this.

Last edited by roxiedog13; 08-01-2018 at 09:29 AM.
post #2960 of 4988 Old 07-31-2018, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Neither, all is still a work in progress . I'm using the ISCO IIIL now with a curved screen , not sure if I'm going to use another curved or go with the Paladin DCR and a flat screen . Too busy with work and building a new home to decide . Both are great A-lens, different applications .
Using the Radiance Pro (no anamorphic lens), my Sony VW5000 picture is sharpest scaling to 3840, not 4096. Easily discrenable. If you use the Paladin lens, then you will need to scale to 4096 and I assume would lose sharpness, as the ISCO IIIL (I have one I don't use anymore) will pass through the 3840 but not the 4096 pixels! And all consumer video sources are 3840, not 4096!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #2961 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Using the Radiance Pro (no anamorphic lens), my Sony VW5000 picture is sharpest scaling to 3840, not 4096. Easily discrenable. If you use the Paladin lens, then you will need to scale to 4096 and I assume would lose sharpness, as the ISCO IIIL (I have one I don't use anymore) will pass through the 3840 but not the 4096 pixels! And all consumer video sources are 3840, not 4096!
@Steve Bruzonsky This is the case indeed . Content delivered to home is in fact 3840 not 4096. To take advantage of the full 17:9 panel you need to scale 3840 to 4096 . I also used my Lumagen to do this scaling when I had the Paladin DCR in place, I didn't really look closely at the image as the DCR was removed shortly thereafter . This is a good point to consider moving forward at there really is not content 17:9 that fits the panel without requiring some kind of scaling away from one to one . Before I make up my mind which lens to retain , I should have a closer look at the image when scaled , see if it lowers resolution or introduces artifacts that may be unacceptable . Then again there are always compromises. Even when I don't use the anamorphic and zoom( crop the 17:9 image) to fill a 2.40:1 screen image I can see the pixels increase, the resolution decrease. Which is the lesser of the two evils becomes a choice we all have to rationalize and accept.

Most of us make some kind of compromise with our projectors, screens, even the room characteristics , very few are set up for absolute best image . Best image from many projectors are achieved using a long throw for best contrast, short throw achieves the brightest image for a larger screen . We use higher gain screen materials and then there are AT screens with perforations , another compromise . Trick is to minimize the compromises, the lower end projectors often need a lot of help to make up deficiencies . The VW5000 is the only projector with the reserve lumens to allow a long throw without suffering losses , the long throw zoom also uses a much smaller portion of the lens surface area , this benefits a precision lens that shorter throw does not realize fully . If we all wanted the best image possible , screen sizes would drop in size dramatically, we would only use a matte white unity gain material and so on . Most also forget the Paladin DCR is a plastic lens. All those trying to discredit the plastic lens used in the VW885 and other 4K models forget that increased detail and resolution they have ever seen is achieved with a plastic element ( Paladin DCR) up front, in fact it is by far the biggest one . The Paladin DCR is an excellent product, I have owned and used every last one of their products . The latest Paladin DCR , probably their best to date and most accurate , suffers less negative effects of any previous glass lens , it also just happens to be plastic . There are a lot of all glass lens projectors with this plastic element up front, their owners are bragging about the increased light and resolution, some of the same individuals trying to discredit the single plastic element used in the VW885 . Imagine that.
joerod likes this.

post #2962 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 06:09 AM

There are great plastic lens'... 99. 9% of the people that wear glasses are looking through a plastic polycarbonate lens...for me they correct my vision to 20/10 .....as far as long throw vs short throw...the tremendous shift capabilities of the 5000 and 885 require the lens to remain undistorted and sharp to the outer edges...I tested maximum shift sharpness ...couldn't percieve a difference that would matter...I could be wrong but my understanding of native res of our projectors is that it's not scaled for uhd...it renders the unused pixels black...
Quote:
@Steve Bruzonsky This is the case indeed . Content delivered to home is in fact 3840 not 4096. To take advantage of the full 17:9 panel you need to scale 3840 to 4096 . I also used my Lumagen to do this scaling when I had the Paladin DCR in place, I didn't really look closely at the image as the DCR was removed shortly thereafter . This is a good point to consider moving forward at there really is not content 17:9 that fits the panel without requiring some kind of scaling away from one to one . Before I make up my mind which lens to retain , I should have a closer look at the image when scaled , see if it lowers resolution or introduces artifacts that may be unacceptable . Then again there are always compromises. Even when I don't use the anamorphic and zoom( crop the 17:9 image) to fill a 2.40:1 screen image I can see the pixels increase, the resolution decrease. Which is the lesser of the two evils becomes a choice we all have to rationalize and accept.

Most of us make some kind of compromise with our projectors, screens, even the room characteristics , very few are set up for absolute best image . Best image from many projectors are achieved using a long throw for best contrast, short throw achieves the brightest image for a larger screen . We use higher gain screen materials and then there are AT screens with perforations , another compromise . Trick is to minimize the compromises, the lower end projectors often need a lot of help to make up deficiencies . The VW5000 is the only projector with the reserve lumens to allow a long throw without suffering losses , the long throw zoom also uses a much smaller portion of the lens surface area , this benefits a precision lens that shorter throw does not realize fully . If we all wanted the best image possible , screen sizes would drop in size dramatically, we would only use a matte white unity gain material and so on . Most also forget the Paladin DCR is a plastic lens. All those trying to discredit the plastic lens used in the VW885 and other 4K models forget that increased detail and resolution they have ever seen is achieved with a plastic element ( Paladin DCR) up front, in fact it is by far the biggest one . The Paladin DCR is an excellent product, I have owned and used every last one of their products . The latest Paladin DCR , probably their best to date and most accurate , suffers less negative effects of any previous glass lens , it also just happens to be plastic . There are a lot of all glass lens projectors with this plastic element up front, their owners are bragging about the increased light and resolution, some of the same individuals trying to discredit the single plastic element used in the VW885 . Imagine that.
post #2963 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlypittsburgh View Post
There are great plastic lens'... 99. 9% of the people that wear glasses are looking through a plastic polycarbonate lens...for me they correct my vision to 20/10 .....as far as long throw vs short throw...the tremendous shift capabilities of the 5000 and 885 require the lens to remain undistorted and sharp to the outer edges...I tested maximum shift sharpness ...couldn't percieve a difference that would matter...I could be wrong but my understanding of native res of our projectors is that it's not scaled for uhd...it renders the unused pixels black...

@charlypittsburgh Funny enough , I've always made the same observation , a stark reality , 65% of people need glasses . The majority use a composite polycarbonate lens , calling it plastic just sounds cheap, the very reason it's used negatively by certain individuals, who by the way , often are wearing the same.

Zeiss refer to their polycarbonate lens as organic glass . Glass as we know it is a man made product not a natural mineral , plastic derived from oil . Plastic has many advantages over glass, when manufactured correctly the properties are equally as good . There are plenty of cheap glass elements too, quality of control is the key .

The test you say you conducted, was this on both lens assemblies in the VW5000 , VW885 or both ? I would think zero lens shift should be better in terms of a lens performance , nice to know that there are little visual penalties for those at the outer extremes for shift . Not sure anyone can shoot an image perfectly straight, the majority including commercial theaters, short throw and those in our homes all have some level of offset .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 08-01-2018 at 07:37 AM.
post #2964 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Keep the room velvet black, no matter the projector it yields the best results. I'm always amazed the image I can produce on screen using the VW885 with ambient light, when lights go off it's just incredible . Black velvet walls and on that open ceiling I see will keep washout to a minimum. In my room I can see the light emitting from a single LED blue indicator light from my air purifier on screen during a movie, that's how sensitive this is . For reference , the purifier is 12 ft back from the screen , I also had to disconnect the lights for the control panel buttons on my reclining theater chairs , put a door on the AV rack.

post #2965 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
@charlypittsburgh Funny enough , I've always made the same observation , a stark reality , 65% of people need glasses . The majority use a composite polycarbonate lens , calling it plastic just sounds cheap, the very reason it's used negatively by certain individuals, who by the way , often are wearing the same.

Zeiss refer to their polycarbonate lens as organic glass . Glass as we know it is a man made product not a natural mineral , plastic derived from oil . Plastic has many advantages over glass, when manufactured correctly the properties are equally as good . There are plenty of cheap glass elements too, quality of control is the key .

The test you say you conducted, was this on both lens assemblies in the VW5000 , VW885 or both ? I would think zero lens shift should be better in terms of a lens performance , nice to know that there are little visual penalties for those at the outer extremes for shift . Not sure anyone can shoot an image perfectly straight, the majority including commercial theaters, short throw and those in our homes all have some level of offset .
Didn't test 5000.. just my 885...5000 should be better

roxiedog13 likes this.
post #2966 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Keep the room velvet black, no matter the projector it yields the best results. I'm always amazed the image I can produce on screen using the VW885 with ambient light, when lights go off it's just incredible . Black velvet walls and on that open ceiling I see will keep washout to a minimum. In my room I can see the light emitting from a single LED blue indicator light from my air purifier on screen during a movie, that's how sensitive this is . For reference , the purifier is 12 ft back from the screen , I also had to disconnect the lights for the control panel buttons on my reclining theater chairs , put a door on the AV rack.

Thanks for the sound advice. The screen wall will be flat black acoustic panel (the entire wall, most of the wall will be screen). The ceiling will also be a flat black acoustic panel. My AV gear is in the closet so those lights won’t be an issue.
post #2967 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the sound advice. The screen wall will be flat black acoustic panel (the entire wall, most of the wall will be screen). The ceiling will also be a flat black acoustic panel. My AV gear is in the closet so those lights won’t be an issue.

Marvelous , you obviously have a great handle on what needs to be done . I'm actually in the middle of building a new theater myself , fortunate to still have my current theater active until I move into my new home. The VW885 is a little different to set up compared to other lamp based projectors , coming from the Sony VW675 even though very familiar the setup is entirely different . Use it for a while and play with settings , when comfortable then have a calibration done . My biggest suggestion is to keep the black level( brightness) on the low end range , depending on screen 30-40 may suffice . For HDR the contrast slider I recommend starting around 54 adjust up or down as necessary . It will take while to get use to what are the best settings for all the various movies, SDR and HDR, once you do get it dialed in you will not be disappointed. I've passed the 400 hour mark on mine , I'm still in the learning curve .

post #2968 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Allen, I see you are here in Arizona! If by chance you are in the Phoenix area AVS PM me your email and phone, and I'll invite you over to demo my theater and my Sony [email protected]@@
roxiedog13 likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #2969 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Quote:

I agree with everything you've said. We all make some sort of compromise. My possible "compromise" is that my projector is ceiling mounted just a foot in back of the minimum throw - thus without using an anamorphic lens, I make use of close to max pixels with widest opening of the projector lens - but then since I have a 2.40 aspect ration 14' wide screen (so I can keep my floorstanding speakers), I am throwing away pixels. Nonetheless my picture looks remarkable. I didn't use my previous ISCO IIIL anamorphic lens because it would be a the very front of the throw range which is ill advisable sharpness wise, etc in using that lens. I could however use the Paladin DCR, with the benefit of using all of the projector's pixels - but I simply question whether in my setup the negatives would outweight the positives and I don't for now want to mess with a good thing
tassop and roxiedog13 like this.

post #2970 of 4988 Old 08-01-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Review VW760 from Audiovision

http://audiovision.de/sony-vpl-vw760es-test/

This was in the $3000 up section , really belongs in this thread since the projector is $20K .

Some interesting points made, the sharpness of the lens for one he compared to the VW5000 as follows :
Often discussed is the digital convergence calibration ex-factory, which generates colored interference patterns in high-resolution test patterns, but in film operation, such artefacts show nothing. In our direct comparison, the VW760 can even compete with its big brother VW5000 in terms of sharpness.

ANSI 400 range , contrast and other variables pretty much what has been reported consistently .Premium UHD at 92% DCI no filter required . This projector is especially strong with HDR as many have noted, he notes the same in this review. Interesting point about using Cinema film 2 preset, I'm not sure I looked at this preset closely, will do so now for sure. His comments re below about HDR.
4K HDR rendering

As a highlight, we come to the UHD premium playback with 4K resolution, DCI-P3 color space and HDR10: Here, the VW760 runs on top form and leaves his little brothers behind.The recommended preset is called "Cinema Film 2", in which the automatic HDR detection and the color space "BT2020" should be activated. Our measurement shows that the laser light source does a great job in terms of the DCI color space.

Once the configuration hurdles have been taken, the UHD premium quality is shown on the screen, which until now has only been known from the much more expensive VPL-VW5000. Even with large image widths of 3 to 4 meters, the VPL-VW760 offers sufficient brightness reserves for HDR highlights, with the use of the adaptive laser dimming is joined by a very good black level. All in all, the VW760 succeeds as one of the first beamer on the market a near-perfect UHD premium experience, especially the bright and intense colors with high depth effect makes a fascination that you get so far not commanded in other projectors. Particularly atmospheric films such as "Bladerunner" benefit immensely from these additional stylistic devices of "light and shadow", one feels almost like being there live.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page