AVS Forum banner

Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread

689K views 9K replies 275 participants last post by  Archibald1 
#1 · (Edited)

UPDATE: 2/28/2018

USER MANUAL:

Sony VPL-VW760ES VPL-VW885ES User Manual

Superlative native 4K picture quality with a laser light source in a compact projector

It’s an unforgettable experience, whatever you’re watching. An ideal choice for your home cinema room, the VPL-VW885ES / VPL-VW760ES brings movies to life with extraordinary cinematic detail, color and contrast.

This compact projector combines an advanced laser light source with the same 4K SXRD panel technology found in Sony's professional cinema projectors.

Crisply detailed native 4K images (4096 x 2160) offer four times the resolution of Full HD, pulling you right into the heart of the action with unprecedented clarity. You’ll experience fabulously rich cinematic colors, smooth motion and spectacular contrast.

Generous 2,000 lumen brightness assures vibrant images, even in well-lit rooms. The ultra-pure, highly efficient laser light source delivers consistent image brightness, without the gradual drop-off in light levels experienced with lamps. You’ll also enjoy reduced operating costs compared with conventional projection systems, and less worry of sudden lamp failure during the show. You’re future-proofed with compatibility for the latest 4K standards, including High Frame Rates and HDR (High Dynamic Range) - so you’ll get the very best out of today’s content, and tomorrow’s.

With flexible installation due to its compact size, simple setup, fuss-free auto calibration and low-noise operation, the VPL-VW885ES / VPL-VW760ES 4K Home Cinema Projector puts you in control of the ultimate entertainment experience.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION SEE:

United States | Sony VPL-VW885ES

Europe | Sony VPL-VW760ES

Australasia | Sony VPL-VW760ES

CALIBRATION/OPTIMIZATION:

Best Out-the-Box Best Settings brought to you by @SoulOfUniverse
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gentlemen,

I have received and am now an official 885ES owner thanks to Craig Shumer at TheaterMax. Let the games begin. More updates to follow.

See less See more
#13 ·
It’s an amazing projector!!! I will post a link to my Review here when it is complete!
Joe, I didn't even know you got a 885 ? I thought you had a 5000 ?

Wow I am so happy you stayed the Sony Path.

Unfortunately there are more nay sayers than ever because they still don't have 4K native projectors for under 35K and Sony has one at 8K.

Cant wait to see your posts Joe !!

Craig Shumer
Theatermax

#3 ·
Craig Shumer of TheaterMax was my dealer as well for this pj and other equipment in the past. Extremely customer driven; he has been in the AV industry quite a while.

Setting Brightness makes me take the unit up considerably from the "50" standard preset to something like 63 in the Reference Picture Mode. Although this sets the Brightness pattern correctly for both 709 and HDR it seems too high based on past experience. Am I way off here and what might be the cause? Thanks.

#10 ·
I should received mine next week. Cant wait :)

I am from Canada, I think nobody from Canada received there Sony yet.

Not yet, next week I have been informed as well . Who will be the first in Canada I wonder ? ;) :D

#6 · (Edited)
Message to all: Please try to keep this thread for Sony 760/885 owners discussions only.

If you wish to compare with other projector brand there is a very good thread for that : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-u...vw885es-vw760es-depth-review-comparisons.html[/QUOTE

So I won't tell you how much I luve that "other" Sony laser projector my VPL-VW5000ES! HA! Craig Shumer is a good friend of many years and has been my Theta Digital and some other stuff dealer for many years!!! Great guy and dealer! I wanted to go BIGGER than I was - nonw 14' wide 2:40 screen compared to 10.5" wide 2:35 screen with prior projector - hence the 5000's humongous lumens output!

WOOPS! As of now, I have good reasons and do not recommend Craig as a dealer to anyone. I do have other excellent and reasonable Sony projector dealers. And I didn't get my VW5000 from him anyway!

#12 ·
Gentlemen,

As of about an hour ago, I have received and am now an official 885ES owner thanks to Craig Shumer at TheaterMax. Let the games begin. More details to follow.
D

Thank you so much for the kind words. I can't wait to see this up and running tonight. Post lots of pics and show the JVC guys who rules the roost.

Thanks
Craig Shumer
Theatermax

#14 ·

Bottom detail. The mounts will be an issue for me. My old panamorph A lens setup needs a bigger frame to support it. I’m going to have to get a new chief mount and zoom until I decide what my A lens options are.

ISCO x1.25 or Panamorph paladin. My issue is I’m 15 feet projector to screen and the Paladin needs 16ft min to avoid the barrel distortion. Is there a min throw distance for the ISCO lens? 138” diagonal 2.35:1 screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#17 ·
Bottom detail. The mounts will be an issue for me. My old panamorph A lens setup needs a bigger frame to support it. I’m going to have to get a new chief mount and zoom until I decide what my A lens options are.

ISCO x1.25 or Panamorph paladin. My issue is I’m 15 feet projector to screen and the Paladin needs 16ft min to avoid the barrel distortion. Is there a min throw distance for the ISCO lens? 138” diagonal 2.35:1 screen.

Are you going to try your current older Panamorph to see if it is compatible ( focus/sharpness/color aberration/etc) with the vw885? If so would you please report your observations. I love what A lens do, but the cost of those top end lens really causes pause, especially when adding the cost of this projector.

#18 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Which Chief mount will you be using? I'm hoping that my current Chief VCM is compatible. Would you mind providing measurements for mount screw distances?

Regards.

#48 ·

Which Chief mount will you be using? I'm hoping that my current Chief VCM is compatible. Would you mind providing measurements for mount screw distances?

Regards.[/QUOTE]

Why not do what I did. Make a completely separate mount support system for the A-lens. Then you could make it so that it can easily fit any projector. Mine easily adjusts forward, back, right, left and up/down. If you would like info, send me an email.

#21 ·
User or Film 1 mode,
laser 70 or 80,
RC ON 40
Gamma 2.4
hdr auto
dynamic contrast full
contrast enhancer medium or full
D65
Brightness 50-51
Contrast 99-max

Reactions: roxiedog13
#22 ·
The owners of that unit and LumagenPro with 18Ghz output modules, can you please test, that your Lumagen recognizes sony as 18Ghz capable display unit? At the moment my Lumagen Pro accepts 18Ghz no problem, but cannot see that Sony is capable of 18Ghz, therefore output is always limited to YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bit at 2160p@60. Tried 3 cables and set Sony all HDMI Inputs to Enhanced, but no luck. Already reported 128 bytes of EDID from Sony to Lumagen support team so they investigating, but wanted if someone has those two units can check? Thank you.

#28 ·
You may want to post this in the VW5000 forum as that projector has the same xtreme processor as the VW885 and many owners there also have the Lumagen pro . Either way I'm sure Jim Peterson will get you through this soon enough
help to find the issues . I'm obviously interested in the outcome of your problems as I actually installed the same 18gbs cards in my Lumagen Pro a couple of weeks back and have the same projector on the way . For reference though , I
let a friend borrow my Lumagen with the new boards installed , tested with the JVC RS600 which has 18gbs HDMI . He used this without issue.

#23 ·
Didn't know we should start a separate thread, I would start this when Arrow had his unit :D

Reactions: roxiedog13
#29 ·
What country ? I'm from Canada btw .

#33 ·
So I’m having a little issue with zooming mine. When I set my Oppo 205 to project Source Direct and my 885 to 2:35:1 zoo I get a ton of image spill over on the top and bottom. When I blank the top and bottom it cuts off 10% of the image on each side when I get the width set for the zoom. What am I doing wrong? On my old set up I use my A lens to correct the letter box. I’m not seeing the letter box on my image to zoom out.

#35 ·
This content is not 2.35:1, its more like 16:9 therefore you need to use 1.78:1 zoom not 2.35 ;)

#39 ·
I'll tell you what, Sony needs their ass kicked for this projector. I am completely blown away with the performance of the 885 out the box. My wife is also. We can't believe that the 885 provides so much more of a performance increase over the 675. And it's an immediate and very noticeable difference. I wasn't expecting that at all. The colors are far more vibrant, the blacks are much darker, the entire image is super crisp and razor sharp but super smooth and silky at the same time. Unfreakingbelievable. You just have to see it. I was worried that the extra $10K wouldn't be justified based on the comments I've read on other threads. But hey, I have no idea what those people saw. Maybe something was a little off with the European units because I don't see any of what I read about on my unit but the hint of green on the pixel patterns. My wife kept talking about how black the black is and it is... black. It kind of messes with your head a little it looks so good.

Everything we've played on it is like watching it for the first time. The 3D is phenomenal. Damn near 4D at times. If 3D looked like this in the theater, there is absolutely no way it would have fell out of popularity. And the lens is a significant improvement over the 675. All this time I thought I was just getting old because I would see some odd things when trying to focus and find the sweet spot. A little blur, bloom, etc. Not with this one. Crisp from corner to corner. So sharp in fact, it took me hardly no time to dial the image in.

When going through the Disney WOW disc, I did notice a touch of the green moire that people were talking about on certain pixel patterns but haven't decided if I wanted the fix done or not because I don't want to mess up the Black Levels. If I could just get rid of the green and leave every other setting intact until Chad B blows this way, I will do it. It will only make the image the 885 produces even better. Chime in if you know the answer to this.

Also, on another note, for those of you who want to try it. Change your Bright TV setting to the HDR settings Dave Harper came up with for the 675. I was surprised it worked so well on the 885 also. The Harpervision tweak is shockingly impressive and made The Revenant look far better and brighter over the stock HDR settings. I even game on my PS4 Pro with these settings. Eye candy for sure. You can find them here: The HarperVision Experience.

More to come.

#45 · (Edited)
What your are experiencing is exactly what I have been hearing from Germany and Switzerland . Owners there who had VW550 (675) and X750 ( RS500) series are marveling at all this brings additionally to what they had before . Razor sharpness, increased brightness , perfect fade to black and better contrast.

There is a reason the VW885 is sold out in many countries , as are ALL the new Sony 4K projector models in fact . It's certainly not because of the lowest price nor any kind of deficiencies . :D

#42 ·
I am wondering if there is something off with the Sony EDID as I have had sound issues that didn't exist before. In one case, since I use dual AVRs the color space gets kicked to 709 and in the other I couldn't get DTSMA to play (defaulted to stereo). The only change here was taking out a 350ES and inserting the 885ES. I have tried to save off the Sony EDID but when I try to open it in an EDID editor it says there is a problem with the header and essentially drops all the CEA extension information. The good news is I have the Oppo-203 arriving today and I will see if it changes what happens.

#43 ·
As I understand it could be the reason why Lumagen Pro doesn't see its capable of 18Ghz device, so it might be that Sony will release firmware upgrade for those units if they will acknowledge the problem.

#47 ·
Usually a lurker, but proud to say I'm the owner of this beautiful projector since last Friday! The picture is gorgeous, coming from a JVC X7500 (RS520) and a Sony VW500ES (VW600ES) before that. Black levels, sharpness, colours, everything picture quality wise is superb. My dealer already prepared the service menu 'trick' for me to get rid of the green smearing discussed in the other topic, so I wasn't bothered by that.

HOWEVER, and this is a serious problem for me, 23p (and also 24p) mode in UHD resolution (3840x2160) using a PC (WIN10) is not working correctly. It looks like a HDMI handshake problem of some sort. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and always sooner or later the problem is returning. E.g. after a while playing (usually within a couple of minutes) a movie or just a static Win10 desktop at those framerates, the screen goes black (one half, then the other, then total). I tries to reconnect or handshake again and again, mostly unsuccessful. I tried all the different colorspaces and dynamic ranges available in Windows, tried all options in de VW760 (standard/enhanced mode, dynamic range limited/full), none successful. Tried re-installing Windows10, different Nvidia drivers, with AVR (Denon X7200WA) in chain or direct connecting PC to VW760. Nothing works.

Important to notice is that 50p and 60p in RGB-FULL (8bit) work just fine, also switching between these. And I'm also pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with my playback chain or cables. I've used this exact setup with my previous JVC X7500 (also full 18gbit). My typical usecase (as advised by the creator of Madvr) is using RGB-FULL 60p 8bit for desktop use and RGB-FULL 23,976 (23p in Windows) 12bit for 24p content, which my JVC did without any problems.
@jqmn and @SoulOfUniverse comments about the strange EDID behaviour trigger me. As further investigating leads me to believe there's either something wrong with the EDID or it has problems with the full 18gbit bandwidth. So just now I tried to read out the EDID for the Sony and this looks really off. It says manufacture date 2013, no uhd/4k resolutions specified.

Maybe my PC does force a EDID read out frequently and is this causing my problem? And the Shield and X800 don't do this? Any ideas?

Next I might try a Win10 EDID override in the registry. Maybe that works...

My complete setup:
HTPC (win10, nvidia 1080ti gpu, madvr)
Denon X7200WA AVR
Sony VW760
Certified full 18gbit HDMI cables

#50 ·
Usually a lurker, but proud to say I'm the owner of this beautiful projector since last Friday! The picture is gorgeous, coming from a JVC X7500 (RS520) and a Sony VW500ES (VW600ES) before that. Black levels, sharpness, colours, everything picture quality wise is superb. My dealer already prepared the service menu 'trick' for me to get rid of the green smearing discussed in the other topic, so I wasn't bothered by that.

HOWEVER, and this is a serious problem for me, 23p (and also 24p) mode in UHD resolution (3840x2160) using a PC (WIN10) is not working correctly. It looks like a HDMI handshake problem of some sort. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and always sooner or later the problem is returning. E.g. after a while playing (usually within a couple of minutes) a movie or just a static Win10 desktop at those framerates, the screen goes black (one half, then the other, then total). I tries to reconnect or handshake again and again, mostly unsuccessful. I tried all the different colorspaces and dynamic ranges available in Windows, tried all options in de VW760 (standard/enhanced mode, dynamic range limited/full), none successful. Tried re-installing Windows10, different Nvidia drivers, with AVR (Denon X7200WA) in chain or direct connecting PC to VW760. Nothing works.

Important to notice is that 50p and 60p in RGB-FULL (8bit) work just fine, also switching between these. And I'm also pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with my playback chain or cables. I've used this exact setup with my previous JVC X7500 (also full 18gbit). My typical usecase (as advised by the creator of Madvr) is using RGB-FULL 60p 8bit for desktop use and RGB-FULL 23,976 (23p in Windows) 12bit for 24p content, which my JVC did without any problems.

@jqmn and @SoulOfUniverse comments about the strange EDID behaviour trigger me. As further investigating leads me to believe there's either something wrong with the EDID or it has problems with the full 18gbit bandwidth. So just now I tried to read out the EDID for the Sony and this looks really off. It says manufacture date 2013, no uhd/4k resolutions specified.

Maybe my PC does force a EDID read out frequently and is this causing my problem? And the Shield and X800 don't do this? Any ideas?

Next I might try a Win10 EDID override in the registry. Maybe that works...

My complete setup:

HTPC (win10, nvidia 1080ti gpu, madvr)

Denon X7200WA AVR

Sony VW760

Certified full 18gbit HDMI cables

Ok I used to run the setup on HTPX using madVR and best possible picture I could get was using YCbCr 4:2:2 in pc 12 bit and in madVR you should choose full not limited video.
Try that approach and see if it works. Set HDMI Auto range, and Enhanced in SONY. And send 4:2:2 12 bit signal. I used to have 960ti which supported hevc decoder and it worked flawlessly, I do own 1080ti as well but I find setup using Oppo udp-203 with nas servers is way much better color wise and greyscale.

#72 ·
EDID Issues

I fixed my EDID issue (dual AVRs, color space dropping to Rec 709, sound dropping down to stereo from lossless, and Oppo saying my pj can't do 4k). I brought back the HDFury Linker by inserting it to a spot between my first AVR zone 2 out and my second AVR BD in. I set the Linker to its first custom preset: 600Mhz/2020/HDR). Back in business.

Hope this helps someone with similar or related issues.

#54 ·
Playing around with settings. I now see the black level can’t match my old JVC D-ILA projector, but the picture is so much better I don’t care. Again out of the box settings only so I’m expecting even more once calibrated.

The dynamic contrast setting makes a huge difference to my eyes. I have it set to high and with HDR content it’s pretty profound how much it elevates the contrast. Some might argue it’s over processed, but to my eyes I like it.

Set laser to 70-80 is pretty bright for HDR on my 138” diagonal 2:35:1 ST130 screen.

#55 ·
Another VW760 owner reported similar results with identical screen size as yours ( 138' diagonal scope) though his was 1.1 gain , he was satisfied with HDR running 70% laser . I'd call that mid laser for sure . What are you running on
non HDR content , laser level that is ?

This projector is doable on a screen in the 150" range
though even better with anamorphic lens . Once the screen size gets as large as this the anamorphic lens really helps to punch out another 25% more brightness, but also equally important, 25% more detail as you will be using the entire 16:9
image instead of using the crop and zoom method .

The only reservation I had upgrading from my previous projectors the Sony VW675 & JVC RS600 was additional brightness. This projector is way ahead of those obviously and certainly brighter than the 2000 lumens original suggested.
The 1600 calibrated has been exceeded , it appears the 1800 range that Werner ( Jetsen) first reported is more in line, Ekki confirmed 1700-1800 . Great news indeed .

#57 ·
Well it looks like @Wookii will be joining this thread very soon...

Suffice to say, he liked the SONY 760/885 so much during his visit today that he took it home with him :)

:wink:

#59 ·
I have a couple of Dilemma's, and one question ... first dilemma , this projector is out of my price range (US Dollars $25k) :-( , second dilemma... I live in a rural area and can only get 23mb down for streaming... I currently have a VPL-VW500ES... while non-HDR, it is 4k... So... streaming 4k content is borderline at best... it looks ok, but I am not sure how it "could" look until I see it with faster bandwidth... I suspect that the upscaling of the projector has a lot to do with it looking at least "ok"

So, that brings my question... Does the 885/760 upscaling work well? Has anyone tried? If so, would you know if it is much improved over an older Sony like I have? This is a big part of any major financial decision I may make...

I am sure the 885 vs my older 500es will be a night and day improvement on UHD blurays... but bandwidth for streaming may be an issue for me.

on a side note... I have 2 friends... (well, more than 2, because I am such an awesome guy :) , I live in the Houston TX area... one of my friends is from London, and another's wife is from Japan... they both have relatives there they visit quite often... this is making the wheels turn in my head... I know the downside of warranty support, and I am not trying to be cheap, but I think I will at least explore the possibility if they brought a 760es back on their next trip, what the price difference would be.... I have read that it can be up to 50% .... I just wish SONY would treat all customers as 'Global" and have a standard price for the product.

if anyone knows, please advise on the upscaling...

thx

#61 ·
The upscaling on an 885 works very well. But the upscaling on your 500ES is no slouch.

#74 ·
People are here from US , Canada, Germany, Switzerland ,England, Australia and ...................______________? Please add on your local if not mentioned . A couple owners with the VW885 at home now feel as though
they are in Heaven , that doesn't count no matter how bright it appears . :D:D

Reactions: rgash11