Ken Whitcomb Sony 5000es Stack Sonneborn Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 241Likes

post #61 of 168 Old 12-31-2017, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Did you move them farther apart than the previous photo?

The projectors are in the same place. I made the frames for the glass first ,positioned them in the opening in front of each lens then measured the spaces to see the exact size needed to fill the gaps ; the rest is plywood covered with velvet.

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 168 Old 12-31-2017, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4010 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
Ok, they look closer together in the first photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stack 1_zpsr8rlj2r6.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	2338142   Click image for larger version

Name:	port cover final 01_edited-1_zpsohurredv.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	2338144  

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #63 of 168 Old 12-31-2017, 10:04 PM
Ron
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Really appreciate that. It’s always a treat to see you and Angela and spend time chatting.

But regarding the offer to bring the wine, I recall your last meet I wanted to pick up something locally but couldn’t find anything that I wanted to drink. So I was a little embarrassed by what I brought. I know it’s not a hugest deal to you but I think something much more much more fun to drink.

It was great seeing Ken and Mark at your house last time as well. Ken brought a real treat of a bottle of wine. My only regret is I didn’t have time to shoot pool with anybody.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Hey Jeff, if I would have known!! I hardly get to shoot pool anymore...but I'll have to remember to bring my stick...

Let's make sure we do that next time!
suffolk112000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 168 Old 01-01-2018, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
OK !!!!
I want to thank Ken Whitcomb ,Chris Cooley and Mark Seaton for what my family experienced tonight !! We watched Blade Runner 2049 in 4K in my theater. I can say without reservation that this was the greatest home theater experience of my life.

The combination of size, light, clarity and room shaking base ,together, was beyond anything yet for me. No single aspect or component made this but the integration and a great film was the thing.

Anyway , I'll stop gushing for now but I want to thank all of those who have worked hard to make this happen for me...thanks !!!

P.S. Let me throw in Jim Peterson , a man I've never met or even spoken to but I know, from others, through his Lumagen and almost unbelievable support, really has made my theater possible.
Art,

I had a similar experience Saturday afternoon with the Chicago 5000 stack. After a quick touchup and discussion of HDR Intensity Mapping with the client, we watched what was to be a few minutes of “Fastastic Beasts (and where to find them)”. It was so immersive we ended up watching the whole movie. The overall APL, the specular highlights, the low-level shadow detail, the effortless JBL Synthesis audio, the complete package!

As always, it’s been my pleasure to help you attain the next level. Welcome back to the stack!

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc
Indianapolis, IN

ISF, THX, PVA
Now offering LightSpace CMS 3D LUT calibration
post #65 of 168 Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
Ken Whitcomb Sony 5000es Stack Sonneborn Theater

Quote:
OK !!!!
I want to thank Ken Whitcomb ,Chris Cooley and Mark Seaton for what my family experienced tonight !! We watched Blade Runner 2049 in 4K in my theater. I can say without reservation that this was the greatest home theater experience of my life.

The combination of size, light, clarity and room shaking base ,together, was beyond anything yet for me. No single aspect or component made this but the integration and a great film was the thing.

Anyway , I'll stop gushing for now but I want to thank all of those who have worked hard to make this happen for me...thanks !!!

P.S. Let me throw in Jim Peterson , a man I've never met or even spoken to but I know, from others, through his Lumagen and almost unbelievable support, really has made my theater possible.

Art

Art,

It’s has truly been a pleasure to work with you!

I am honored just to be involved with this upgrade. Thanks for allowing me to help guide you through all the latest audio/video upgrades.

Working with a team of people like Ken Whitcomb and Mark Seaton, only made this experience even better.

From your initial upgrade to the 5000ES, to the addition of the 16’ wide Vistascope, we were able to stay focused on the target and execute things quickly and professionally.

Then, after so many years of not wanting to touch the surrounding fabric walls of the room, you gave me the opportunity to do so, with a promise that the overall aesthetics of the room wouldn’t be harmed in anyway.

That allowed us to replace your original 7.4 surround sound system with a full JBL 11.6.6 Synthesis system. Not only did you upgrade your mains to the JBL M2 Studio Reference speakers, but every single in-wall surround speaker and in-ceiling Atmos speaker is also based on the same award winning M2 technology. Pair those speaker with 6 of Mark Seaton’s subs, and you have an audio system fit for the finest mixing studios anywhere in the world.

The final icing on the cake was adding a second 5000ES projector. With that stack you are able to get 72fL on a 16’ wide screen. Not only does that stack give you the extremely bright SDR images you like, but still leaves you plenty of headroom for all the specular highlights of HDR.

Your room has always been the pinnacle of Home Theater performance, and once again you are leading the pack into the next decade. Rarely does a day go by where your name isn’t mentioned in some post on AVS. There is always someone saying, “Art has done this, or Art prefers that, or if Art says it’s so, then it’s so”.

So what’s left to say except, Happy New Year! I can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2018!

Best wishes to you and your family!
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ccool96; 01-02-2018 at 09:34 AM.
post #66 of 168 Old 01-02-2018, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Chris,
You give me too much credit but I can say like anything getting with the right people makes all the difference. Using the system over the weekend and watching the stack for perhaps 20 hours it appears that my stability concerns are getting laid to rest. I've had the thing on all day at times beating the snot out of it with all the power in there and it just doesn't move either during or after some intense action.

The last thing I'd want is to have to baby sit my theater, not to mention having a meet and not having things function optimally.

The thing I've mentioned many times to you, Ken and Mark is that getting something this much better makes not only new films more impressive but makes my favorites new again. Of course ,after seeing the CGI Rachael in Blade Runner 2049 I had to go back and watch the original UHD and HDR the scene where she smokes during the Voight Kampf test the back lit puffs are blindingly bright while black is still held low...just incredible !

Anyway, so far the stacked 5000s is a home run.

Art
post #67 of 168 Old 01-06-2018, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Nice torture test for fringing and uniformity. Bonus for a guy like me who watches a lot of old films...uniformity is better with two than one projector.

Art
post #68 of 168 Old 01-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Ron
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Nice torture test for fringing and uniformity. Bonus for a guy like me who watches a lot of old films...uniformity is better with two than one projector.

Art
Wow Art...even though it's a picture of your image, and you know how I feel about those old movies, that still looks very impressive.

Very impressive indeed.
ccool96 likes this.
post #69 of 168 Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i hope you guys don't hate me but i was planning on doing this same stack, what was the size of this room? BEAUTIFUL SET-UP BTW, the picture looks amazing on my computer so i know it must look breathtaking in person
post #70 of 168 Old 01-07-2018, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
Ken Whitcomb Sony 5000es Stack Sonneborn Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepiticy2;
i hope you guys don't hate me but i was planning on doing this same stack, what was the size of this room? BEAUTIFUL SET-UP BTW, the picture looks amazing on my computer so i know it must look breathtaking in person

More power to you, the bigger the better in my book! But a stack is not easy, so you better plan to bring in a pro!

I worked with Art on his stack in coordination with Ken Whitcomb. Ken came to my place for us to do a trial stack, before we did Art’s full install.

I am in the process of also adding another 5000ES to complete a stack to light up my 17’ wide screen. I live half the time in Panama City, and half the time in Tallahassee. The stack is being installed in Tally, which is only about 4 1/2 hours from B-ham.

Once you see a 5000ES stack, you will never be satisfied with anything else currently available.

I forget the same exact dimensions of Art’s room, but it’s pretty similar to mine. My room is 20’ wide x 24’ deep. I believe Art’s room is 19’-20’ wide x 26’ deep.

If you are serious about doing the stack you need to work with a pro. A stack install is about 100 times more complicated than a single projector setup. Feel free to PM to discuss more.

I also see you mentioned KBlaw’s (Kris Barber) theater. I also helped him with his last big upgrade as well.

Best-
Chris

trammer likes this.

Last edited by ccool96; 01-07-2018 at 12:59 AM.
post #71 of 168 Old 01-07-2018, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

I knew she looked familiar. The maid is the same actress that played Grandmama in The Addams Family TV series.

Scope aspect ratio and black & white, rare and glorious!

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc
Indianapolis, IN

ISF, THX, PVA
Now offering LightSpace CMS 3D LUT calibration
post #72 of 168 Old 01-07-2018, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepiticy2;

More power to you, the bigger the better in my book! But a stack is not easy, so you better plan to bring in a pro!

I worked with Art on his stack in coordination with Ken Whitcomb. Ken came to my place for us to do a trial stack, before we did Art?s full install.

I am in the process of also adding another 5000ES to complete a stack to light up my 17? wide screen. I live half the time in Panama City, and half the time in Tallahassee. The stack is being installed in Tally, which is only about 4 1/2 hours from B-ham.

Once you see a 5000ES stack, you will never be satisfied with anything else currently available.

I forget the same exact dimensions of Art?s room, but it?s pretty similar to mine. My room is 20? wide x 24? deep. I believe Art?s room is 19?-20? wide x 26? deep.

If you are serious about doing the stack you need to work with a pro. A stack install is about 100 times more complicated than a single projector setup. Feel free to PM to discuss more.

I also see you mentioned KBlaw?s (Kris Barber) theater. I also helped him with his last big upgrade as well.

Best-
Chris

Hi Art

The picture looks awesome!!
Do you notice more graininess in the older movies with Sony as compared to Sim2 . At least subjectively I feel it is more with Sony , probably because it can resolve more .

Mani
post #73 of 168 Old 01-07-2018, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 310
congrats Art. Raised the bar...yet again.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #74 of 168 Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Hi Art

The picture looks awesome!!
Do you notice more graininess in the older movies with Sony as compared to Sim2 . At least subjectively I feel it is more with Sony , probably because it can resolve more .

Mani
Yes,
I think if you work with the reality creation adjustments this can work it a bit. What I notice is the tendency for the grain in some films to look a little more clumped looking than it did with my DLPs.

Art
post #75 of 168 Old 01-07-2018, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
congrats Art. Raised the bar...yet again.

Thanks ! Ken set up in my remote a 50% laser 75% and 100% for HDR. It's cool looking at 50% which is each projector at 50% and this is actually a little more light than one at 100% then hit 100% and you just get this feeling that you want to just say Bang !

Art
post #76 of 168 Old 01-07-2018, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Art do you use the full brightness for 2D, no HDR, as well? I remember you asking Wolfgang and he obliged with a picture of his Xenon B32(s?) produced 67fL image. 4K in Directview LED is still guite the step up price wise, as it is four times HD. HD is starting to get slightly less outrageous, with Delta launching an pre-integrated 1.26mm pitch LED display with an MSRP excluding VAT for under €75K excluding installation. I believe the quoted €75K came from the official announcement, the MSRPs I got were even a bit lower €72500 for 1.26,and 79K for a larger size, not sure which, but could be the 2.5mm 220 inch display.Let's see all the new goodies at ISE next month.
post #77 of 168 Old 01-08-2018, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Art do you use the full brightness for 2D, no HDR, as well? I remember you asking Wolfgang and he obliged with a picture of his Xenon B32(s?) produced 67fL image. 4K in Directview LED is still guite the step up price wise, as it is four times HD. HD is starting to get slightly less outrageous, with Delta launching an pre-integrated 1.26mm pitch LED display with an MSRP excluding VAT for under €75K excluding installation. I believe the quoted €75K came from the official announcement, the MSRPs I got were even a bit lower €72500 for 1.26,and 79K for a larger size, not sure which, but could be the 2.5mm 220 inch display.Let's see all the new goodies at ISE next month.
No I use 50% laser setting for everything else except HDR. This gives me almost 40fL since two at 50% is more light than one at 100%.

Right now just starting to settle into using it not just watching the system. I'm the type who want to use the theater to enjoy movies optimally not one who enjoys the gear and adjustment of.

Art
post #78 of 168 Old 01-08-2018, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by D6500Ken View Post
I knew she looked familiar. The maid is the same actress that played Grandmama in The Addams Family TV series.

Scope aspect ratio and black & white, rare and glorious!

Ken Whitcomb

I just had to chime in - a black and white film in 2.35 aspect ratio caught my eye and I was curious as the the film. Your clue about the older actress (the maid) was the key. The maid was played by Blossom Rock (aka Marie Blake). I believe that the movie was She Devil (1957). Marie Blake did also play Grandmama on the original Adam's Family TV series - she passed in 1978 at 82. Just a little film trivia. I'd live it if Art had any additional 2.35 ratio black and white films he could list.
D6500Ken and Reddig like this.

Last edited by kamichael; 01-08-2018 at 06:24 PM.
post #79 of 168 Old 01-08-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Art
Art - I believe that this is She Devil (1957). Do you have any additional black and white 2.35 scope movies to recommend from your library.
post #80 of 168 Old 01-09-2018, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamichael View Post
Art - I believe that this is She Devil (1957). Do you have any additional black and white 2.35 scope movies to recommend from your library.
Ding,Ding,Ding !!

Off the top of my head Jailhouse Rock is another . I'll check around this weekend.

Art
kamichael likes this.
post #81 of 168 Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4373 Post(s)
Liked: 3107
Your new setup looks amazing from the projectors to the new audio Art. I'd love to experience what you've put together. Can I crash/attend this meet?
post #82 of 168 Old 01-09-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
I just had to chime in - a black and white film in 2.35 aspect ratio caught my eye and I was curious as the the film. Your clue about the older actress (the maid) was the key. The maid was played by Blossom Rock (aka Marie Blake). I believe that the movie was She Devil (1957). Marie Blake did also play Grandmama on the original Adam's Family TV series - she passed in 1978 at 82. Just a little film trivia. I'd live it if Art had any additional 2.35 ratio black and white films he could list.
I thought it was Granny Clampett!
kamichael likes this.

See ya. Dave

"The Blues ain't nothin' but a botheration on the mind." Otis Spann
post #83 of 168 Old 01-10-2018, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Off the top of my head Jailhouse Rock is another. I'll check around this weekend.
Another Elvis B&W flick (his film debut) in 2.35 was Love Me Tender, 1956, starring Richard Egan, and Debra Paget.
kamichael likes this.
post #84 of 168 Old 01-10-2018, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have any additional black and white 2.35 scope movies to recommend from your library.
I'm not Art, but a few other recommendable B&W films in scope in my library (that are also available on BD):

+Three Faces of Eve, the 1957
+Hustler, the 1961
+Longest Day, the 1962
-Elephant Man, the 1963
-Apartment, the 1960
-In Cold Blood, 1967
-Fate is the Hunter, 1964

I have a few other scope films in B&W (on DVHS-HD), but they have not been pressed to BD as of yet:

NA+In Harms Way, 1965
NA+Hud, 1963
NA+Lonely Are the Brave, 1962

NA+Advise and Consent, 1962

I can't comment on the last one, since I haven't viewed it yet. I assume these will all eventually make it to BD.
kamichael likes this.
post #85 of 168 Old 01-10-2018, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
I'm not Art, but a few other recommendable B&W films in scope in my library (that are also available on BD):

+Three Faces of Eve, the 1957
+Hustler, the 1961
+Longest Day, the 1962
-Elephant Man, the 1963
-Apartment, the 1960
-In Cold Blood, 1967
-Fate is the Hunter, 1964

I have a few other scope films in B&W (on DVHS-HD), but they have not been pressed to BD as of yet:

NA+In Harms Way, 1965
NA+Hud, 1963
NA+Lonely Are the Brave, 1962

NA+Advise and Consent, 1962

I can't comment on the last one, since I haven't viewed it yet. I assume these will all eventually make it to BD.
Nice I have all of the BDs listed except Three Faces of Eve and I do have Love Me Tender
post #86 of 168 Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Really appreciate that. It’s always a treat to see you and Angela and spend time chatting.

But regarding the offer to bring the wine, I recall your last meet I wanted to pick up something locally but couldn’t find anything that I wanted to drink. So I was a little embarrassed by what I brought. I know it’s not a hugest deal to you but I think something much more much more fun to drink.

It was great seeing Ken and Mark at your house last time as well. Ken brought a real treat of a bottle of wine. My only regret is I didn’t have time to shoot pool with anybody.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.
I kind of accidentally glossed over this. On a similar note I took two bottles of Firesteed
(which you introduced me to)when I went to Connecticut to visit Rob Hahn so I'd have something I liked.

Your wife's face at the last get together was priceless when I said "I didn't blame you completely for my liver disease"
thebland likes this.
post #87 of 168 Old 01-10-2018, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice I have all of the BDs listed except Three Faces of Eve and I do have Love Me Tender
You might consider picking Eve up. It's a pristine transfer, and an interesting character study, that earned Woodward an Academy Award for her performance. (It's only 8 bucks at A. Well worth it for even a single watch.) I've been slowly replacing my ~5,000 HD film collection on DVHS with BD, as they became available. I'm not there yet.

One other B&W scope film that occurred to me was Woody Allen's 'Manhattan', 1979.
kamichael likes this.
post #88 of 168 Old 01-10-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
You might consider picking Eve up. It's a pristine transfer, and an interesting character study, that earned Woodward an Academy Award for her performance. (It's only 8 bucks at A. Well worth it for even a single watch.) I've been slowly replacing my ~5,000 HD film collection on DVHS with BD, as they became available. I'm not there yet.

One other B&W scope film that occurred to me was Woody Allen's 'Manhattan', 1979.

Thanks to both you and Art - I am sorry for diverting this thread. Seeing Art's shot of "She Devil" caught my attention. I have now located and purchased much of the films you listed. I found a few websites dedicated to black and white, in particular the rare scope films. I started receiving them today from A and plan on watching many this weekend on my 5000ES. I am going to add Eve to my list.
post #89 of 168 Old 01-10-2018, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks to both you and Art - I am sorry for diverting this thread. Seeing Art's shot of "She Devil" caught my attention. I have now located and purchased much of the films you listed. I found a few websites dedicated to black and white, in particular the rare scope films. I started receiving them today from A and plan on watching many this weekend on my 5000ES. I am going to add Eve to my list.

You didn't divert it. I'm the kind who has this to watch movies and primarily movies I like ...period ! There are those who have called Black and White films "cardboard". I ,on the other hand, see a special beauty in them.

Art
post #90 of 168 Old 01-10-2018, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks ! I have Manhattan and just ordered Three Faces of Eve .

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page