Samsung The Wall MicroLED 4K TV at CES 2018 - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 146Likes

post #331 of 342 Old 10-06-2018, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The Samsung Onyx Cinema, AKA "Wall" was very impressive!
I was able to watch a movie while visiting my wife's family in Korea While there I was able to find some time and watch a movie alone. I dont even know the name of the movie it was 100% in Korean with no subtitles, this turned out to be a benefit, as I was totally not distracted while studying the LED wall.

As a 65 inch OLED owner I am very aware of their picture quality. Suffice to say I am very impressed with Samsung's Wall. Also I want to give props to the JBL sound system they were using, very accurate and balanced and the low end was the best I have heard in a commercial cinema. My own setup is a JBL SDP-75 with 4 Seaton F18s and a mix of JBL LSR 308s (708p very soon) for surround duty. I know people are concerned about not putting the LCR behind the screen, my advice is do not worry about it. All of the voices and effects were locked perfectly onto the screen, I spent 2 hours trying to find weaknesses and audio wise I was unable to. I did find 2 small issues which I will go into below.

Issue 1.
I am very very sensitive to motion artifacts. Single chip DLP is a no go it gives me a horrid headache. The LED DLP that came out a few years ago, I really wanted one but every time I blinked or turned my head during heavy motion I could see the pulsation of light. No idea what it was but I tried a few times and saw it every time. As for the Wall there seemed to be a interlacing effect when the camera transitioned from a still scene to abrupt action. I could sense it in my peripheral vision but could never get a lock on it. Something was a miss. Maybe the film was interlaced or encoded at a lower bitrate, every Korean TV show I saw while in Korea had bad interlacing artifacts? It was very similar to playing a interlaced video game on a LCD panel.

Issue 2.
I did see some faint color banding issues in a couple scenes with a bright blue sky. Again this could be related to the film.
I did not see any low IRE banding that OLEDs have.

All in all I am very impressed with the Samsung/Harmon setup, this is definitely the future of cinema and home cinema!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 342 Old 10-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Sneaky pictures!

I tried to be discreet, I stand out in Korea and people were watching me. Suffice to say the quality isnt the best but it should give you a rough idea of how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	2465048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	2465050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1065.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	2465052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	2465054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	2465056  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1061.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	2465058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	924.5 KB
ID:	2465059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1058.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	770.5 KB
ID:	2465060  
post #333 of 342 Old 10-07-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The Wall and the CinemaLED are two different technologies/products.
HoustonHoyaFan and ARROW-AV like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 342 Old 10-07-2018, 09:15 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 4117 Post(s)
Liked: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by forin View Post
The Samsung Onyx Cinema, AKA "Wall" was very impressive!
I was able to watch a movie while visiting my wife's family in Korea While there I was able to find some time and watch a movie alone. I dont even know the name of the movie it was 100% in Korean with no subtitles, this turned out to be a benefit, as I was totally not distracted while studying the LED wall.

As a 65 inch OLED owner I am very aware of their picture quality. Suffice to say I am very impressed with Samsung's Wall. Also I want to give props to the JBL sound system they were using, very accurate and balanced and the low end was the best I have heard in a commercial cinema. My own setup is a JBL SDP-75 with 4 Seaton F18s and a mix of JBL LSR 308s (708p very soon) for surround duty. I know people are concerned about not putting the LCR behind the screen, my advice is do not worry about it. All of the voices and effects were locked perfectly onto the screen, I spent 2 hours trying to find weaknesses and audio wise I was unable to. I did find 2 small issues which I will go into below.

Issue 1.
I am very very sensitive to motion artifacts. Single chip DLP is a no go it gives me a horrid headache. The LED DLP that came out a few years ago, I really wanted one but every time I blinked or turned my head during heavy motion I could see the pulsation of light. No idea what it was but I tried a few times and saw it every time. As for the Wall there seemed to be a interlacing effect when the camera transitioned from a still scene to abrupt action. I could sense it in my peripheral vision but could never get a lock on it. Something was a miss. Maybe the film was interlaced or encoded at a lower bitrate, every Korean TV show I saw while in Korea had bad interlacing artifacts? It was very similar to playing a interlaced video game on a LCD panel.

Issue 2.
I did see some faint color banding issues in a couple scenes with a bright blue sky. Again this could be related to the film.
I did not see any low IRE banding that OLEDs have.

All in all I am very impressed with the Samsung/Harmon setup, this is definitely the future of cinema and home cinema!
Onyx is regular LED and with a large size pixel pitch of 2.5mmm.

It's simply rebadged pre-existing LED signage.

It's NOT MicroLED.

Samsung's The Wall IS MicroLED and the pixel pitch is only 0.8mm.

Apples and oranges

Link: SAMSUNG ONYX LED SIGNAGE CINEMA LED

With respect to ranking of video performance:

MicroLED (Samsung The WALL) > OLED > LED Signage (Samsung ONYX)

post #335 of 342 Old 10-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Onyx is regular LED and with a large size pixel pitch of 2.5mmm.

It's simply rebadged pre-existing LED signage.

It's NOT MicroLED.

Samsung's The Wall IS MicroLED and the pixel pitch is only 0.8mm.

Apples and oranges

Link: SAMSUNG ONYX LED SIGNAGE CINEMA LED

With respect to ranking of video performance:

MicroLED (Samsung The WALL) > OLED > LED Signage (Samsung ONYX)

So technically the Planar/Leyard is now better already at 0.7mm pixel pitch? Anyone know what a 4k 0.7mm Planar costs?
post #336 of 342 Old 10-07-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 186
There are more quality metrics than pixel pitch. At ISE there was a Polish vendor that claimed it could do an 0.6(2?) pitch Wall, this was almost two years ago.

Not sure but what a 50% premium? I would think that is not unlikely going from 0.9375mm to 0.7mm.

Arrow, some would argue Sony Crystal LED, Samsung the Wall, OLED/Samsung Onyx (keeping viewing distance rato in mind) might trade places both have motion issues to be rectified by processing, premium RGB SMD LED (SiliconCore, Samsung, LG, Leyard, Unilumin(EU outlet bought by Leyard?), LED.

1.5/6 is what the Video market is going for in the fine pitch indoor displays, premium customers in China go for 1.2/1.25. Plenty 2.5 sold, as that is price performance king at the moment. Market is generally not video, so why pay the huge premium.

Arrow, you no longer place the 100" ZD9 higher than the premium LED brands/lines?

Last edited by donaldk; 10-07-2018 at 08:31 PM.
post #337 of 342 Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked: 2233
Looks like Samsung has stepped up to the plate at CES, with a 75" 4K direct LED screen - thats what, a 0.43mm pixel pitch approx?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57390186
LondonBenji likes this.
post #338 of 342 Old 01-07-2019, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Looks like Samsung has stepped up to the plate at CES, with a 75" 4K direct LED screen - thats what, a 0.43mm pixel pitch approx?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57390186
When it has a price tag and you can 'add to cart', I'll believe it.....
post #339 of 342 Old 01-11-2019, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
When it has a price tag and you can 'add to cart', I'll believe it.....
When directly asked, the rep said, 'ah, we have no timeline, but maybe 2 years from now'... so, i take it min 2 years from now.. but when they do manage to get production up, it's going to destroy LG completely...
post #340 of 342 Old 01-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
When directly asked, the rep said, 'ah, we have no timeline, but maybe 2 years from now'... so, i take it min 2 years from now.. but when they do manage to get production up, it's going to destroy LG completely...
I seriously doubt that.
post #341 of 342 Old 10-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Apparently, they're available now, but pricing is "contact us for individual pricing".
post #342 of 342 Old 10-05-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
Apparently, they're available now, but pricing is "contact us for individual pricing".
haha... meaning, if you have to ask, you're not buying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
ces 2018 , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page