Panamorph DCR Paladin Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 347Likes

post #991 of 1027 Old 05-10-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I get the vertical compression part of things, and that the glass may be a LITTLE sharper than perhaps the previous gens of panamorphs, but I still find my uh380 I scooped for pennies compared to the DCR's even b-stock pricing, with a little overscan I have zero problems with, looks wonderful... To say the optics aren't good enough on the IIIL for 4K is a little suspect. You didn't say such, but I've seen it mentioned.
That UH380 won't work for 4096 though. I'm more interested in getting top performance these days. I tend to save more pennies in the long run by buying exactly what I want and being happy with it long term. The RS4500 would be another example. And I'm 100% happy with my DCR lens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1027 Old 05-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Ditto, same setup and LOVE it. Kris Deering even dialed back HDR brightness a little because of it to get me down to 32FL and get better contrast.

Noob question. On the webinar for the new line of JVC projectors it was stated that 50fL is the target for brightness and HDR. The screen I will be getting is rated at 1.3 and is 130” diagonal CinemaScope. On VideoCalc app it says my fL would be 58fL. I’ve debated getting a lens until I saw where you said Kris had to dial it back. Are there any other advantages in getting the lens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #993 of 1027 Old 05-11-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th601 View Post
Noob question. On the webinar for the new line of JVC projectors it was stated that 50fL is the target for brightness and HDR. The screen I will be getting is rated at 1.3 and is 130” diagonal CinemaScope. On VideoCalc app it says my fL would be 58fL. I’ve debated getting a lens until I saw where you said Kris had to dial it back. Are there any other advantages in getting the lens?

So many factors to bring into play there. I assume you’re target projector is the N7, as that has a specified 1,900 lumens?

If so:

- it will only deliver those lumens at minimum throw, any greater throw distance and the lumens will reduce.
- It will only deliver those lumens uncalibrated. I’m not sure how much the new line lose through calibration, but I’d factor in 10%.
- it will only deliver those lumens in first use. As the bulb ages, particularly as you’ll be running on high lamp to hit those numbers, the output will drop. Again, I don’t know how the new units are holding up in that regard, but I’d expect to lose 10-15% in the first few hundred hours.
- Are you sure you’re screen delivers a 1.3 gain? Many manufacturers quote a figure higher than the materials achieve in reality.

Long and short of it, you are likely to be well under 50FtL when you eventually physically measure it. The DCR lens will likely give you a large enough light boost to negate all of those factors.

Also one overriding point on a JVC projector, is having more light than you need is actually a very good thing. It allows you to clamp down the manual iris further, increasing your on/off contrast for the same target light level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1027 Old 05-11-2019, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:

I agree with Wookii, I could have a lot more but in my environment and screen size the HDR is great! I would get as much as you can within getting a projector that has good contrast and color. There is more to the DCR than just the light. The picture is great off of it also.
Th601 likes this.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #995 of 1027 Old 05-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Panamorph DCR Paladin Owners Thread

Hey good afternoon Shawn Kelly, how would I be able to get ahold of you? Tapatalk won’t let me message you. It says you aren’t accepting private messages.

post #996 of 1027 Old 05-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
So many factors to bring into play there. I assume you’re target projector is the N7, as that has a specified 1,900 lumens?

If so:

- it will only deliver those lumens at minimum throw, any greater throw distance and the lumens will reduce.

- It will only deliver those lumens uncalibrated. I’m not sure how much the new line lose through calibration, but I’d factor in 10%.

- it will only deliver those lumens in first use. As the bulb ages, particularly as you’ll be running on high lamp to hit those numbers, the output will drop. Again, I don’t know how the new units are holding up in that regard, but I’d expect to lose 10-15% in the first few hundred hours.

- Are you sure you’re screen delivers a 1.3 gain? Many manufacturers quote a figure higher than the materials achieve in reality.

Long and short of it, you are likely to be well under 50FtL when you eventually physically measure it. The DCR lens will likely give you a large enough light boost to negate all of those factors.

Also one overriding point on a JVC projector, is having more light than you need is actually a very good thing. It allows you to clamp down the manual iris further, increasing your on/off contrast for the same target light level.

Yes it’s for a N7 and the screen is a ST130

post #997 of 1027 Old 05-11-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 108
[QUOTE=Th601;58032724]Hey good afternoon Shawn Kelly, how would I be able to get ahold of you? Tapatalk won’t let me message you. It says you aren’t accepting private messages.

I'm accessible via email - [email protected].

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #998 of 1027 Old 05-17-2019, 05:36 PM

[quote=Shawn Kelly;58032928]
Quote:
Hey good afternoon Shawn Kelly, how would I be able to get ahold of you? Tapatalk won’t let me message you. It says you aren’t accepting private messages.

I'm accessible via email - [email protected]com.

post #999 of 1027 Old 05-17-2019, 09:08 PM

[quote=Th601;58062892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post

I don't have any problem sending Shawn emails from an email account on my computer. Try that. I don't really use Tapatalk.
post #1000 of 1027 Old 05-17-2019, 09:26 PM

[quote=Craig Peer;58063496]
Quote:

I don't have any problem sending Shawn emails from an email account on my computer. Try that. I don't really use Tapatalk.

Ok I will try that. Thank you.

post #1001 of 1027 Old 05-19-2019, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post

The reason this failed is that your email client is trying to use IPv6 to send the email.

It therefore attempts to resolve the IP address of the domain panamorph.com by referring to its AAAA record in its DNS.

Since panamorph.com has no AAAA record, it can't work out where to send the email.

Two fixes:

1 - Send from a non IPv6 email client
2 - @Shawn Kelly would need to configure the AAAA record in his DNS management tool. Likely setting it to the same IP address as the A record (67.210.118.44)

Cheers
Th601 likes this.

---------------

My build thread

Last edited by JohnnyWilkinson; 05-19-2019 at 02:13 AM.
post #1002 of 1027 Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post
The reason this failed is that your email client is trying to use IPv6 to send the email.

It therefore attempts to resolve the IP address of the domain panamorph.com by referring to its AAAA record in its DNS.

Since panamorph.com has no AAAA record, it can't work out where to send the email.

Two fixes:

1 - Send from a non IPv6 email client

2 - @Shawn Kelly would need to configure the AAAA record in his DNS management tool. Likely setting it to the same IP address as the A record (67.210.118.44)

Cheers

Oh ok well that explains it. Thank you so much.

post #1003 of 1027 Old 05-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Best practice for 2.0:1 content

An increasing amount of (mostly streaming) content is delivered with an aspect ratio of 2.0:1. For you owners with a DCR, how are you displaying this material? I assume the projectors do not have an anamorphic mode for this aspect ratio. Does the Lumagen? Or do you project in 16:9 mode and then zoom in to move the letterbox bars offscreen? *Can* you use zoom+lens memory for this application, or does having the anamorphic lens in place preclude easy zooming?
post #1004 of 1027 Old 05-24-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
An increasing amount of (mostly streaming) content is delivered with an aspect ratio of 2.0:1. For you owners with a DCR, how are you displaying this material? I assume the projectors do not have an anamorphic mode for this aspect ratio. Does the Lumagen? Or do you project in 16:9 mode and then zoom in to move the letterbox bars offscreen? *Can* you use zoom+lens memory for this application, or does having the anamorphic lens in place preclude easy zooming?
I have a Radiance Pro set to the auto aspect ratio, and a 14' wide 2.40 Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope screen with the "User 1" mask setting set for 2.0 aspect ratio. Works great! When I move projector back a bit soon in a cooled enclosure, I plan to add the DCR anamorphic lens, but this won't change anything as it will always be in place.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 If I recommend a dealer It will be a person to person recommendation! Theatre renovation/upgrade awaiting July/August 2019!
post #1005 of 1027 Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I have a Radiance Pro set to the auto aspect ratio, and a 14' wide 2.40 Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope screen with the "User 1" mask setting set for 2.0 aspect ratio. Works great! When I move projector back a bit soon in a cooled enclosure, I plan to add the DCR anamorphic lens, but this won't change anything as it will always be in place.
With this setup is there any zooming involved, or are the aspect ratio changes handled entirely by scaling?
post #1006 of 1027 Old 05-24-2019, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a new owner of a Paladin DCR and JVC RS3000 but won't have either in my possession until next week. Before they arrive I have to retrofit my theatre to accommodate the required increased throw distance by having a glassless projection port created and my projector installed on the opposite wall in a projection room (really just a spare bedroom but from henceforth known as the projection room). Very similar to what Ash has in his theater and illustrated on page 1 of this thread.

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to the specifications for the dcr/rs3000 combo - ie: depth, width, height anterior to the projector.

Also, does anyone have pictures of their projector/dcr they would like to share? Especially if it is one of the rs3000/2000/1000 jvc models.

Thanks
post #1007 of 1027 Old 05-24-2019, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Quote:
With this setup is there any zooming involved, or are the aspect ratio changes handled entirely by scaling?
My Lumagen Radiance does all the aspect ratio changes scaling, but of course, this works for me whether or not I use a DCR anamorphic lens and my Vistascope screen's sides adjust to perfectly mask the 2.0 picture!
dschulz likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 If I recommend a dealer It will be a person to person recommendation! Theatre renovation/upgrade awaiting July/August 2019!
post #1008 of 1027 Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
The DCR really shines when it comes to 2.0 material such as First Contact and Stranger Things in Netflix - I don't want to get a Lumgen - so I keep th DCR in place all the time - the beauty for 2:0 material is my DCR is always in place and my projector set to 2:40 so the 2:0 fills the 2:40 screen with a slight spill top and bottom of the screen which does not bother me.
To watch 2:0 content in full 2:40 glory - that is the magic of the DCR.
post #1009 of 1027 Old 05-25-2019, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
The DCR really shines when it comes to 2.0 material such as First Contact and Stranger Things in Netflix - I don't want to get a Lumgen - so I keep th DCR in place all the time - the beauty for 2:0 material is my DCR is always in place and my projector set to 2:40 so the 2:0 fills the 2:40 screen with a slight spill top and bottom of the screen which does not bother me.
If you're watching 2.00:1 content with the same overall configuration and settings as 2:40:1, my understanding is that the only difference is that some of the content would be cropped top and bottom from the 2.00:1 content, since there is content in part of the areas that would be all black with 2.40:1 content. If that is the case, then there wouldn't be any light spill top and bottom for either aspect ratio content. In 2.40:1, only the black bars are cropped out, as they should be, and in 2.00:1 the same cropping occurs, but this time there is some content in the areas that are cropped.

I am wanting to get a DCR down the road, and have been following this thread for a long time. Could you clarify this?

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #1010 of 1027 Old 05-25-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
If you're watching 2.00:1 content with the same overall configuration and settings as 2:40:1, my understanding is that the only difference is that some of the content would be cropped top and bottom from the 2.00:1 content, since there is content in part of the areas that would be all black with 2.40:1 content. If that is the case, then there wouldn't be any light spill top and bottom for either aspect ratio content. In 2.40:1, only the black bars are cropped out, as they should be, and in 2.00:1 the same cropping occurs, but this time there is some content in the areas that are cropped.

I am wanting to get a DCR down the road, and have been following this thread for a long time. Could you clarify this?

Yes, there is some of the 2.0 picture cropped. I watched “ Green Book “ with the DCR lens, and it looked fine.

post #1011 of 1027 Old 05-25-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Yes, there is some of the 2.0 picture cropped. I watched “ Green Book “ with the DCR lens, and it looked fine.
Thanks for confirming this; I was pretty sure I understood how it worked. That's why I was puzzled when ash sharma referred to light bleed top/bottom, which shouldn't occur at all with the DCR lens.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #1012 of 1027 Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 AM

The question I have is why someone would go to the trouble of producing and directing an Academy Awarding winning feature film, and shoot it to fit on a phone.
Killer, DLCPhoto and llang269 like this.
post #1013 of 1027 Old 05-25-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
That makes sense but doesn't work for me - I want to see the content as framed by the DP and director. So I guess my question is: since the projectors don't have a 2.0:1 anamorphic mode, is a Lumagen the only solution here? Or could I run in the 16:9 mode and zoom in to frame the content appropriately (CIH with pillar box bars on the sides)? Or does having the DCR in place prevent zooming?
post #1014 of 1027 Old 05-25-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
That makes sense but doesn't work for me - I want to see the content as framed by the DP and director. So I guess my question is: since the projectors don't have a 2.0:1 anamorphic mode, is a Lumagen the only solution here? Or could I run in the 16:9 mode and zoom in to frame the content appropriately (CIH with pillar box bars on the sides)? Or does having the DCR in place prevent zooming?
You can do that (assuming the lens doesn't vignette) but you end up using less resolution both vertically and horizontally (I tried it with a standard ISCO once and although it worked it looked noticeably lower res). I'd be inclined to remove the lens and zoom for those movies.
dschulz likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #1015 of 1027 Old 05-25-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

Sorry - that's what happens when you respond after a big wine session.... I meant crop - Craig answered it correctly.
DLCPhoto and Craig Peer like this.
post #1016 of 1027 Old 05-25-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
You can do that (assuming the lens doesn't vignette) but you end up using less resolution both vertically and horizontally (I tried it with a standard ISCO once and although it worked it looked noticeably lower res). I'd be inclined to remove the lens and zoom for those movies.

I have watched both Green Book and A Simple Favor ( also 2.00:1 ) on my 16:9 screen ( lens removed since it’s easy in my case ) and with the DCR lens scope. Pick your poison - crop it or black bars.

Ash Sharma likes this.
post #1017 of 1027 Old 05-25-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I have watched both Green Book and A Simple Favor ( also 2.00:1 ) on my 16:9 screen ( lens removed since it’s easy in my case ) and with the DCR lens scope. Pick your poison - crop it or black bars.

I meant with respect to using the 16:9 mode and zooming with the lens in place vs removing the lens and zooming. You get the same image content in both cases (no cropping) but the latter would be the better choice IMHO as you're not throwing away as much actual source information.

Leaving the lens in place and cropping using the normal 2.40 anamorphic mode also results in a better image though you lose some top and bottom of the image - that's not too bad with 2.20:1 movies but with 2.0:1 you do lose twice as much to cropping - say 4 inches from the top and from the bottom (8 total from the height) vs 2 inches from the top and bottom (4 inches total). That depends on your screen size of course but it's just a rough guide of how much you lose comparatively.
cargen and Craig Peer like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #1018 of 1027 Old 05-26-2019, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyone here using the RS2000, DCR lens with SI slate 1.2 screen? If so, are you happy? How does it look in a dedicated room?

JVC RS2000 : Panamorph DCR Lens : Screen Innovations 125" Slate 1.2 2.40.1
Anthem MRX 1120 : Kaleidescape Strato :Kaleidescape 24TB Server :Apple TV 4K
Oppo 203 : Xbox One X
Paradigm 95f , 55c, Paradigm Elite in wall surround and atmos speakers
SVS sb16 ultra x 3 : Emotiva XPA 3 DR 3 for LCR : Current Setup 7.3.4 Atmos : Control 4
post #1019 of 1027 Old 05-26-2019, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I have a 140” Slate 1.2 and I am using a Paladin (not DCR) with my NX5 (RS1000) shooting at 24’. I am very happy with it. I don’t get the 6% squeeze that the DCR would have with 16:9, so that’s a plus I guess. I use Anamorphic Modes A/B where DCR would use B/C if I have been following along.

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Slate Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra
AV8805 / UB9000 / AppleTV 4K / PS4 Pro / Connect / Node 2i / RPM-10 C
C1100 / D1100 / MC303s / 800D3 / HTM1D3 / 702 S2 / CCM7.3 / PC4000s

Last edited by RaceCarDriver; 05-26-2019 at 07:35 AM.
post #1020 of 1027 Old 05-26-2019, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Good news. Thank you. Placing my order for slate 2.40.1. 1.2. 125”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JVC RS2000 : Panamorph DCR Lens : Screen Innovations 125" Slate 1.2 2.40.1
Anthem MRX 1120 : Kaleidescape Strato :Kaleidescape 24TB Server :Apple TV 4K
Oppo 203 : Xbox One X
Paradigm 95f , 55c, Paradigm Elite in wall surround and atmos speakers
SVS sb16 ultra x 3 : Emotiva XPA 3 DR 3 for LCR : Current Setup 7.3.4 Atmos : Control 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page