Panamorph DCR Paladin Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #991 of 1002 Old 05-10-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6466 Post(s)
Liked: 7469
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I get the vertical compression part of things, and that the glass may be a LITTLE sharper than perhaps the previous gens of panamorphs, but I still find my uh380 I scooped for pennies compared to the DCR's even b-stock pricing, with a little overscan I have zero problems with, looks wonderful... To say the optics aren't good enough on the IIIL for 4K is a little suspect. You didn't say such, but I've seen it mentioned.
That UH380 won't work for 4096 though. I'm more interested in getting top performance these days. I tend to save more pennies in the long run by buying exactly what I want and being happy with it long term. The RS4500 would be another example. And I'm 100% happy with my DCR lens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1002 Old 05-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Ditto, same setup and LOVE it. Kris Deering even dialed back HDR brightness a little because of it to get me down to 32FL and get better contrast.

Noob question. On the webinar for the new line of JVC projectors it was stated that 50fL is the target for brightness and HDR. The screen I will be getting is rated at 1.3 and is 130” diagonal CinemaScope. On VideoCalc app it says my fL would be 58fL. I’ve debated getting a lens until I saw where you said Kris had to dial it back. Are there any other advantages in getting the lens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #993 of 1002 Old 05-11-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2779 Post(s)
Liked: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th601 View Post
Noob question. On the webinar for the new line of JVC projectors it was stated that 50fL is the target for brightness and HDR. The screen I will be getting is rated at 1.3 and is 130” diagonal CinemaScope. On VideoCalc app it says my fL would be 58fL. I’ve debated getting a lens until I saw where you said Kris had to dial it back. Are there any other advantages in getting the lens?

So many factors to bring into play there. I assume you’re target projector is the N7, as that has a specified 1,900 lumens?

If so:

- it will only deliver those lumens at minimum throw, any greater throw distance and the lumens will reduce.
- It will only deliver those lumens uncalibrated. I’m not sure how much the new line lose through calibration, but I’d factor in 10%.
- it will only deliver those lumens in first use. As the bulb ages, particularly as you’ll be running on high lamp to hit those numbers, the output will drop. Again, I don’t know how the new units are holding up in that regard, but I’d expect to lose 10-15% in the first few hundred hours.
- Are you sure you’re screen delivers a 1.3 gain? Many manufacturers quote a figure higher than the materials achieve in reality.

Long and short of it, you are likely to be well under 50FtL when you eventually physically measure it. The DCR lens will likely give you a large enough light boost to negate all of those factors.

Also one overriding point on a JVC projector, is having more light than you need is actually a very good thing. It allows you to clamp down the manual iris further, increasing your on/off contrast for the same target light level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1002 Old 05-11-2019, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:

I agree with Wookii, I could have a lot more but in my environment and screen size the HDR is great! I would get as much as you can within getting a projector that has good contrast and color. There is more to the DCR than just the light. The picture is great off of it also.
Th601 likes this.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #995 of 1002 Old 05-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Panamorph DCR Paladin Owners Thread

Hey good afternoon Shawn Kelly, how would I be able to get ahold of you? Tapatalk won’t let me message you. It says you aren’t accepting private messages.

post #996 of 1002 Old 05-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
So many factors to bring into play there. I assume you’re target projector is the N7, as that has a specified 1,900 lumens?

If so:

- it will only deliver those lumens at minimum throw, any greater throw distance and the lumens will reduce.

- It will only deliver those lumens uncalibrated. I’m not sure how much the new line lose through calibration, but I’d factor in 10%.

- it will only deliver those lumens in first use. As the bulb ages, particularly as you’ll be running on high lamp to hit those numbers, the output will drop. Again, I don’t know how the new units are holding up in that regard, but I’d expect to lose 10-15% in the first few hundred hours.

- Are you sure you’re screen delivers a 1.3 gain? Many manufacturers quote a figure higher than the materials achieve in reality.

Long and short of it, you are likely to be well under 50FtL when you eventually physically measure it. The DCR lens will likely give you a large enough light boost to negate all of those factors.

Also one overriding point on a JVC projector, is having more light than you need is actually a very good thing. It allows you to clamp down the manual iris further, increasing your on/off contrast for the same target light level.

Yes it’s for a N7 and the screen is a ST130

post #997 of 1002 Old 05-11-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 93
[QUOTE=Th601;58032724]Hey good afternoon Shawn Kelly, how would I be able to get ahold of you? Tapatalk won’t let me message you. It says you aren’t accepting private messages.

I'm accessible via email - [email protected].

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #998 of 1002 Old 05-17-2019, 05:36 PM

[quote=Shawn Kelly;58032928]
Quote:
Hey good afternoon Shawn Kelly, how would I be able to get ahold of you? Tapatalk won’t let me message you. It says you aren’t accepting private messages.

I'm accessible via email - [email protected].

post #999 of 1002 Old 05-17-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6466 Post(s)
Liked: 7469
[quote=Th601;58062892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post

I don't have any problem sending Shawn emails from an email account on my computer. Try that. I don't really use Tapatalk.
post #1000 of 1002 Old 05-17-2019, 09:26 PM

[quote=Craig Peer;58063496]
Quote:

I don't have any problem sending Shawn emails from an email account on my computer. Try that. I don't really use Tapatalk.

Ok I will try that. Thank you.

post #1001 of 1002 Old 05-19-2019, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post

The reason this failed is that your email client is trying to use IPv6 to send the email.

It therefore attempts to resolve the IP address of the domain panamorph.com by referring to its AAAA record in its DNS.

Since panamorph.com has no AAAA record, it can't work out where to send the email.

Two fixes:

1 - Send from a non IPv6 email client
2 - @Shawn Kelly would need to configure the AAAA record in his DNS management tool. Likely setting it to the same IP address as the A record (67.210.118.44)

Cheers
Th601 likes this.

---------------

My build thread

Last edited by JohnnyWilkinson; 05-19-2019 at 02:13 AM.
post #1002 of 1002 Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post
The reason this failed is that your email client is trying to use IPv6 to send the email.

It therefore attempts to resolve the IP address of the domain panamorph.com by referring to its AAAA record in its DNS.

Since panamorph.com has no AAAA record, it can't work out where to send the email.

Two fixes:

1 - Send from a non IPv6 email client

2 - @Shawn Kelly would need to configure the AAAA record in his DNS management tool. Likely setting it to the same IP address as the A record (67.210.118.44)

Cheers

Oh ok well that explains it. Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page