Panamorph DCR Paladin Owners Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 439Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1141 of 1180 Old 09-30-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,557
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5622 Post(s)
Liked: 5459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Hard to tell as I also dropped the lens a bit too. Between both of those adjustments I’d say yes the problem has gone away. Bit over overscan fixes any lingering curve at bottom.
Even before you moved the pj the overscan took care of it just fine?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1142 of 1180 Old 09-30-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Hard to tell as I also dropped the lens a bit too. Between both of those adjustments I’️d say yes the problem has gone away. Bit over overscan fixes any lingering curve at bottom.
Even before you moved the pj the overscan took care of it just fine?
Yes. But I needed more overscan. Trying to get it so I use the minimum overscan as possible (ie left/right sides of image are almost straight.
Sittler27 is offline  
post #1143 of 1180 Old 10-01-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,557
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5622 Post(s)
Liked: 5459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Yes. But I needed more overscan. Trying to get it so I use the minimum overscan as possible (ie left/right sides of image are almost straight.
Good enough for me. Knowing there is no way to get the couple inches back to dead center, I will just have to use a little more overscan but I don't have brightness issues to speak of so I can sacrifice a little more if needed. Thanks for the nfo.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1144 of 1180 Old 10-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Member
 
tomasg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just curious. I saw Paladin DCR unboxing and there was no glass at back, just hole to prism. I thought that there is cover glass in front and at back.
tomasg is offline  
post #1145 of 1180 Old 10-01-2019, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,946
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Yup. It's no different with my RS4500 / Lumagen Radiance Pro / DCR lens combo.
I look forward to hearing if you still feel that way after you've had a chance to A/B each setup, like I have. I may be biased, but the owner of the DCR lens was not.
lovingdvd is offline  
post #1146 of 1180 Old 10-07-2019, 12:39 AM
Senior Member
 
blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Why doesn’t the JVC RS4500 support the Paladin DCR directly ? The NX5/7/9 do.

Can’t believe it would need that much processing power to simply use the whole lcos panel !?
blake is online now  
post #1147 of 1180 Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 AM
Member
 
howiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Can any of the microperf be viewed at a close distance like 9 feet from screen ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm guessing a no on that - based on zero experience! I've read various reports that you want a good 13'-16' for micoperf screens. If anyone has a different experience, i'd like to know.

Last edited by howiee; 10-07-2019 at 03:44 AM.
howiee is online now  
post #1148 of 1180 Old 10-07-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,367
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6992 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
I look forward to hearing if you still feel that way after you've had a chance to A/B each setup, like I have. I may be biased, but the owner of the DCR lens was not.
Are you referring to A / B comparing a Lumagen and an Envy ? That could be interesting.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1149 of 1180 Old 10-07-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,557
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5622 Post(s)
Liked: 5459
Quote:
Originally Posted by howiee View Post
I'm guessing a no on that - based on zero experience! I've read various reports that you want a good 13'-16' for micoperf screens. If anyone has a different experience, i'd like to know.
Sitting 9 feet from my Severtson MP and see no issues at all.
howiee likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #1150 of 1180 Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,367
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6992 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Can any of the microperf be viewed at a close distance like 9 feet from screen ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get a screen sample and set it up and see. They are free usually.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1151 of 1180 Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 AM
Member
 
howiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Sitting 9 feet from my Severtson MP and see no issues at all.
Cheers. I've just done a good bit of reading up on these are they look very nice. I'll get some samples and check them out if they sell to the UK.
howiee is online now  
post #1152 of 1180 Old 10-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by howiee View Post
Cheers. I've just done a good bit of reading up on these are they look very nice. I'll get some samples and check them out if they sell to the UK.
Get a sample of the SAT4K too. Its a little more expensive, but its a really good compromise between all the advantages of the V6 and the microperf. It's brighter than the V6 but the picture is more that of the V6 compared to the microperf. I compared between the V6, the XD, the uF, and the two Severtsons and the SAT4K is where I ended up. Two caveats I'd have been pretty happy with probably any of those and my room isn't yet complete (taken longer than I have expected but oh well) so I cannot comment too much on real life practice.
howiee likes this.
rcsauvag is offline  
post #1153 of 1180 Old 10-08-2019, 03:54 AM
Member
 
howiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsauvag View Post
Get a sample of the SAT4K too. Its a little more expensive, but its a really good compromise between all the advantages of the V6 and the microperf. It's brighter than the V6 but the picture is more that of the V6 compared to the microperf. I compared between the V6, the XD, the uF, and the two Severtsons and the SAT4K is where I ended up. Two caveats I'd have been pretty happy with probably any of those and my room isn't yet complete (taken longer than I have expected but oh well) so I cannot comment too much on real life practice.
Cheers! I'll check it out if they send to the UK. I'll pm you a few questions re. this if that's ok to not clog up this thread.
howiee is online now  
post #1154 of 1180 Old 10-11-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I'm using a DCR and I also run Kodi. During playback in anamorphic "C" mode I can't see the controls at the bottom and usually navigate them blindly.

Is there a better way to do this with an anamorphic lens?
Sittler27 is offline  
post #1155 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
ddgdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
I'm using a DCR and I also run Kodi. During playback in anamorphic "C" mode I can't see the controls at the bottom and usually navigate them blindly.

Is there a better way to do this with an anamorphic lens?
Kodi via ... htpc? Shield?

If via htpc, just dive into madvr, which can do all the scaling for you and output at 4096x resolution so you don't need the anamorphic modes on the projector at all 🙂
ddgdl is offline  
post #1156 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,018
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Why doesn’t the JVC RS4500 support the Paladin DCR directly ? The NX5/7/9 do.

Can’t believe it would need that much processing power to simply use the whole lcos panel !?


Isn’t this due to the fact that 4500 has a 3840 panel and the NX series has a 4096 panel?
ScottieBoysName is offline  
post #1157 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,367
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6992 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Isn’t this due to the fact that 4500 has a 3840 panel and the NX series has a 4096 panel?


No, the RS4500 has 4096 panels too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1158 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,018
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
No, the RS4500 has 4096 panels too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Gotcha. Well....then why doesn’t the 4500 natively support the DCR? Do I have it placed wrong in my mind?
ScottieBoysName is offline  
post #1159 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,367
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6992 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Gotcha. Well....then why doesn’t the 4500 natively support the DCR? Do I have it placed wrong in my mind?


I think there might not be enough memory available to add it after the fact, although they might be able to by eliminating something like keystone correction. Which nobody should be using anyway. But with my Lumagen I get 4096 scaling, excellent DTM and a lot more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1160 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,018
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I think there might not be enough memory available to add it after the fact, although they might be able to by eliminating something like keystone correction. Which nobody should be using anyway. But with my Lumagen I get 4096 scaling, excellent DTM and a lot more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Gotcha. Makes sense.
ScottieBoysName is offline  
post #1161 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I think there might not be enough memory available to add it after the fact, although they might be able to by eliminating something like keystone correction. Which nobody should be using anyway. But with my Lumagen I get 4096 scaling, excellent DTM and a lot more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


How much memory does the rs4500 have , compared to NX series ? Never see this spec reported.
blake is online now  
post #1162 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,367
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6992 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
How much memory does the rs4500 have , compared to NX series ? Never see this spec reported.
Who knows. I imagine it's not easy to add features after the fact. Pretty much no projector manufacturers have done so over the 16 or 17 years I've had projectors.
But JVC hasn't totally ruled it out. Then again, if you can afford some of these projectors and a DCR lens, a Lumagen is just another small step money wise. Go all in. Blade Runner 2049 on 4K looked phenomenal the other night !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1163 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I wish JVC would fix Anamorphic C/D in 3D mode to scale to 4096 wide on the RS3000 etc. 1024p24 frame packed is effectively 1024p48 in terms of input content rate (though is 96Hz output) yet 1080p60 (and 4k60) are supported fine.

Last edited by dlinsley; 10-12-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Noted that output rate for 3D is effectively 1080p96
dlinsley is offline  
post #1164 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
I wish JVC would fix Anamorphic C/D in 3D mode to scale to 4096 wide on the RS3000 etc. 1024p24 frame packed is effectively 1024p48 in terms of content rate yet 1080p60 (and 4k60) are supported fine.
Could you elaborate on how the JVC now handles both 16:9 3D content, as well as 2.35:1 3D content? I have seen conflicting reports on whether or not 3D is handled properly now, with the DCR lens.

One post showed it filling the full height of the screen, but had very narrow black bars left/right, so not *quite* filling horizontally. I forget if this was 16:9 or 2.35:1 content.

Thanks.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #1165 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Could you elaborate on how the JVC now handles both 16:9 3D content, as well as 2.35:1 3D content? I have seen conflicting reports on whether or not 3D is handled properly now, with the DCR lens.

One post showed it filling the full height of the screen, but had very narrow black bars left/right, so not *quite* filling horizontally. I forget if this was 16:9 or 2.35:1 content.
Unfortunately it just scales 1920 to 3840, and not 4096 for Anamorphic C/D, so you end up with the black bars on the side (which you can lens zoom off to fill the screen) and an unfortunate scaling error of about 6%. My dealer says JVC have told him it's a hardware limitation, but there's nothing in the specs or manual that list this as an issue, unlike say certain bit depths / per pixel only supported at certain refresh rates, so hopefully this is something they can fix still. Even the Specifications table in the manual says "During 3D playback the display resolution is 4096x2160" as a footnote to indicate you cant use 8k eshift but no other riders. The Anamorphic C description has no riders, just saying it is stretched using full 4096 pixel width. The only place I've since found mentioning the limitation is the Panamorph site (good work by them).
dlinsley is offline  
post #1166 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Unfortunately it just scales 1920 to 3840, and not 4096 for Anamorphic C/D, so you end up with the black bars on the side (which you can lens zoom off to fill the screen) and an unfortunate scaling error of about 6%. My dealer says JVC have told him it's a hardware limitation, but there's nothing in the specs or manual that list this as an issue, unlike say certain bit depths / per pixel only supported at certain refresh rates, so hopefully this is something they can fix still. Even the Specifications table in the manual says "During 3D playback the display resolution is 4096x2160" as a footnote to indicate you cant use 8k eshift but no other riders. The Anamorphic C description has no riders, just saying it is stretched using full 4096 pixel width. The only place I've since found mentioning the limitation is the Panamorph site (good work by them).
Thanks for the reply.

This is the first I've heard of the 6% scaling error *still* being present with the new Anamorphic Modes - are you sure about this? Shawn Kelly's website refers to this, as that was the reality until recently, but indicates that the new firmware would provide proper scaling.

The devil is in the details, so:

1. When you're watching 16:9 3D content, I assume you would use Anamorphic Mode D, but correct me if I'm wrong. I would expect that the scaling would be correct for the 3D content, as it is for the 2D 16:9 content, but I need confirmation that this either does scale correctly, or doesn't.

2. When you're watching 2.35:1 3D content (there's less content like this, but there are many, such as Gravity), I assume you would use Anamorphic Mode C, as you would for 2D content, correct? Is the scaling correct here, or in other words, does it fill a scope screen horizontally and vertically, while maintaining the original aspect ratio?

I'm really hoping JVC has fully resolved this to use the DCR lens for both 16:9 and 2.35:1 3D content.

Thanks.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #1167 of 1180 Old 10-12-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I was testing with Disney/Pixar Cars, which is 2.39:1 but C produced the same as A and was scaled to almost full height 1.33x rather than 1.25x. D looks like it might be correct. For C, if they can't scale to 4096 wide, if they could just scale vertically by 1.25x instead of 1.33x, we could easily work with that with optical zoom.

From my post in the JVC owners' thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58663670 I set the Lumagen to 16:9 aspect for 3D (style 1) and 1920x1080 + frame rate pass through so that it didn't scale. The Aspect setting in the JVC (auto, native, zoom) has zero effect.

Off:



A:



B:



C:



D:


Last edited by dlinsley; 10-12-2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Note that Aspect setting in the JVC has no effect with 3D
dlinsley is offline  
post #1168 of 1180 Old 10-13-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
I was testing with Disney/Pixar Cars, which is 2.39:1 but C produced the same as A and was scaled to almost full height 1.33x rather than 1.25x. D looks like it might be correct. For C, if they can't scale to 4096 wide, if they could just scale vertically by 1.25x instead of 1.33x, we could easily work with that with optical zoom.

From my post in the JVC owners' thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58663670 I set the Lumagen to 16:9 aspect for 3D (style 1) and 1920x1080 + frame rate pass through so that it didn't scale. The Aspect setting in the JVC (auto, native, zoom) has zero effect.
Many thanks for this.

For the 2.39:1 aspect ratio of the 3D movie you're using, Anamorphic C would theoretically be the correct choice. But based on what you've posted, it's not quite there yet. Do you find it visually distracting, or just a minimal inaccuracy?

Have you similarly looked at 16:9 3D content, where Anamorphic D would theoretically be the correct choice? Is this working properly?

@Shawn Kelly - what is your understanding of how accurately the new Anamorphic Modes are working for 3D content, both 16:9 and 2.39:1?

And can you confirm that for 2D content, Anamorphic C works as desired for 2.39:1, and Anamorphic D works as desired for 16:9? Are they providing correct aspect ratio for both (i.e. no stretching or squeezing) and filling the screen appropriately?

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #1169 of 1180 Old 10-13-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Kodi via ... htpc? Shield?

If via htpc, just dive into madvr, which can do all the scaling for you and output at 4096x resolution so you don't need the anamorphic modes on the projector at all 🙂
HTPC.

Sorry, how is using madvr to do anamorphic more advantageous than just flipping the a-mode on my JVC NX9?

Would this somehow correct my Kodi control view issue? Are there other things better?
Sittler27 is offline  
post #1170 of 1180 Old 10-13-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
ddgdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Kodi via ... htpc? Shield?

If via htpc, just dive into madvr, which can do all the scaling for you and output at 4096x resolution so you don't need the anamorphic modes on the projector at all 🙂
HTPC.

Sorry, how is using madvr to do anamorphic more advantageous than just flipping the a-mode on my JVC NX9?

Would this somehow correct my Kodi control view issue? Are there other things better?
Madvr can run as the back end to kodi, and it is a better scaler than the jvc. What is nice is that it can perfectly scale everything using the proper ratio so you can leave the jvc in anamorphic off mode for all content, and madvr takes care of the rest.
ddgdl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off