Panamorph DCR Paladin Owners Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 470Likes

post #1261 of 1266 Old 01-31-2020, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post
Hi Chris - to cover all the details - would you be ok removing the DCR for 16:9 then adding it for 2.4:1? If you can comfortably reach it, it only takes about a minute to take off or put on after the first setup is all completed and locked in. That would be the preferred operation since your screen is native 16:9. Also, is it fair to say that right now when you watch movies you just play them without adjusting the projector? You just bring the masking in to cover the black bars?
Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head. Some more info:

My projector is not ceiling mounted. It is on the top shelf of a uline wire rack. So I don't know how easily a DCR can be attached to the 885ES in this physical configuration. But I can reach the projector quite easily.

But, yes, I just add my panels when I watch widescreen content (so I'm still projecting black bars, but they're covered), and I don't adjust the projector lens shift at all (I don't use any lens memories currently). I'm a huge stickler for pixel alignment, and I know the 885ES manual says that lens memories aren't guaranteed to always re-adjust back to the exact point they were before (I've never tried this).

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) & 203, Apple TV 4K, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1266 Old 01-31-2020, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Thanks for the details. In this case you would attach the XM2 plate system to the ceiling mount holes in the Sony then install the DCR inverted. When switching from 16:9 to movies with the DCR you would a) add the lens, b) bring in the masking, c) set the Sony Aspect to V-Stretch (with the anamorphic setting in "1.24x"). This will produce a movie image with about 2.6 million more pixels and about 38% more light than how you are watching now (yes, it's very noticeable). HOWEVER, it will also be slightly wider than your screen so you would indeed need to d) do a bit of zoom/shift to shrink the image down to fit. To go back to 16:9: set the Sony Aspect to Normal, remove the masking, remove the lens and zoom/shift back up a bit.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #1263 of 1266 Old 01-31-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post
Thanks for the details. In this case you would attach the XM2 plate system to the ceiling mount holes in the Sony then install the DCR inverted. When switching from 16:9 to movies with the DCR you would a) add the lens, b) bring in the masking, c) set the Sony Aspect to V-Stretch (with the anamorphic setting in "1.24x"). This will produce a movie image with about 2.6 million more pixels and about 38% more light than how you are watching now (yes, it's very noticeable). HOWEVER, it will also be slightly wider than your screen so you would indeed need to d) do a bit of zoom/shift to shrink the image down to fit. To go back to 16:9: set the Sony Aspect to Normal, remove the masking, remove the lens and zoom/shift back up a bit.
Thanks for the info. What you've described is what I anticipated, thanks for confirming.

I'll have to give this some thought. My SDR brightness is fine (I'm actually running the laser at 60 currently), it's my HDR brightness where a boost may help. So need to balance how much of my video collection is HDR scope films, along with the cost of the DCR.

Anyone out there, by chance, doing what I would be doing? (manual magnetic masking panels, similar projector) - Would love to hear some daily anecdotes on how this workflow works.

Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) & 203, Apple TV 4K, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1266 Old 02-01-2020, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 226
If scope is more important and you only wanted to switch ratios with a button you could leave the panels permanently. That would be like buying a 120 scope and flipping to a 96 or so 16:9 all with a push of the button. No lens to remove, no shift and zoom, no panel removal.
post #1265 of 1266 Old 02-01-2020, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
If scope is more important and you only wanted to switch ratios with a button you could leave the panels permanently. That would be like buying a 120 scope and flipping to a 96 or so 16:9 all with a push of the button. No lens to remove, no shift and zoom, no panel removal.

Fair but then on 16:9 content (of which I have a fair bit) I'd be taking a big step down in size. I would also have black bars on the sides (unless I got more masking panels )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1266 of 1266 Old 02-06-2020, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 39
One of the things I like about the DCR Lens with the JVC NX7, is that switching from 16:9 to Scope is a simple tap on my Logitech Elite's menu (Anamorphic D or Anamorphic C). The switching is electronic not mechanical and instant. Great for working with menus as most devices assume a 16:9 format and a selection could be off the screen in Scope. Just select "D" to see the menus and make selections. Tap on "C" for Scope to start or resume what I am watching.
Craig Peer and howiee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page