Panamorph DCR Paladin Owners Thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 527Likes

post #1321 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
If my throw range is optional which is best, closer or further back? I am at a place in my renovations where have the option to move the projector to the back wall effectively in another room at 29’-31’ back from my 13’ wide Stewart StudioTech 1.5 gain microperf white screen. Currently my Sony VW1100es is close to its closest throw of 18’ or so and above my second row so thinking about eliminating the ceiling mount but concerned with the loss of brightness at the further throw.
The shorter the throw, the brighter the image, the lower the contrast. Conversely, the longer the throw, the dimmer the image, the greater the contrast. In the HDR era, and assuming you would have a Projector with an adjustable iris, I would be inclined to go short throw, to maximize brightness, and potentially close the iris to regain contrast (depending of course on screen size and gain).

Quote:
I’ve been thinking about my next video upgrade and have been thinking the Lumagen Radiance Pro would be the best choice. What would you all say is the next step, the lens or the Lumagen Pro?
This is a tougher question. If you'll eventually have a JVC Projector, their Dynamic Tone Mapping will make a dramatic improvement with HDR content. The Lumagen would improve it further, but DTM covers quite a bit of the gap. In this case, an argument could be made to get the DCR Lens first, as that 38% bump in brightness can't be achieved any other way. As above, your screen size and gain would influence this decision.

With regard to an external video processor, you might want to wait for release and review of the MadVR Envy, which reportedly may exceed the performance of the Lumagen, with regard to HDR performance. Many of us are following this closely, looking for confirmation of initial reports, more thorough analysis when the product ships, etc.

Quote:
Best way to watch HD stretched to scope, the Lumagen Radiance Pro non linear stretch or a lens? The Lumagen’s stretch has been one of the selling points for me to spring for it as the next upgrade being that the scope image looks really good and I only use the theater for movies so want the entire screen utilized at all times if possible.

With those questions keep in mind that I am not the type that upgrades high end electronics all the time as I have to generally save for these large purchases hence why I haven’t upgraded the VW1100es yet. The next two upgrades I’m planning for video are the Lens and Lumagen and those will be spread out over a few years most likely. A new PJ will be saved until last after all the DTS-X Pro layout speakers have been installed along with the Altitude32 48 channel upgrade. So planning on sticking with the Sony PJ for quite a while unless a high output laser PJ becomes available for under $5-7k as I’d rather wait and make the upgrade when can afford to spend $15k+ on a quality unit.
If the majority of what you watch is movies, and since perhaps 70-80% or more of this content is scope aspect ratio, then you would likely want a scope screen (assuming your room isn't 'width limited'). But I'm not clear on what you're referring to with regard to 'stretching'. If you're watching 16:9 content on a 2.35:1 or similar screen, there's no way to fill it without either distorting the aspect ratio, or cropping the image. 'Stretch' seems to suggest the aspect ratio change, where people would appear short and fat, for example. Some people might find this acceptable, but many, including myself, would not. Cropping it would chop off 10% of the image top/bottom, which may or may not be problematic.

The DCR Lens and a Projector with appropriate Anamorophic Modes would give you excellent display of scope content, and can also accurately display 16:9 content with the push of a button. There is some loss of pixels and brightness for 16:9 content with the DCR in place, as opposed to zooming in and out for scope vs 16:9, but most of us find this a very acceptable trade-off.

As for what projector, and when, this is a never-ending conundrum. There's always something better around the corner, but at some point, if there is an available product which meets my needs and desires, then that would end the delay for me. That's how I ended up with the NX7 and DCR Lens, and am pretty pleased with it. Nobody knows what future products will bring, but I can see being pretty satisfied with this for a number of years.
Azekecse likes this.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Panamorph DCR Paladin Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
The shorter the throw, the brighter the image, the lower the contrast. Conversely, the longer the throw, the dimmer the image, the greater the contrast. In the HDR era, and assuming you would have a Projector with an adjustable iris, I would be inclined to go short throw, to maximize brightness, and potentially close the iris to regain contrast (depending of course on screen size and gain).

Right, basic projector functions. But being that I have a 1.5 gain screen and the Lens will add brightness shouldn’t they offset each other up until a certain distance?

This is a tougher question. If you'll eventually have a JVC Projector, their Dynamic Tone Mapping will make a dramatic improvement with HDR content. The Lumagen would improve it further, but DTM covers quite a bit of the gap. In this case, an argument could be made to get the DCR Lens first, as that 38% bump in brightness can't be achieved any other way. As above, your screen size and gain would influence this decision.

So, maybe just move my current Sony VW1100es back to the optional better aesthetic location to try out its brightness from there and if it’s satisfactory all the merry it will be when the Lens is added. Does that sound about right as far as trying to determine my most optimal setup?

With regard to an external video processor, you might want to wait for release and review of the MadVR Envy, which reportedly may exceed the performance of the Lumagen, with regard to HDR performance. Many of us are following this closely, looking for confirmation of initial reports, more thorough analysis when the product ships, etc.

I’ll check that out!

If the majority of what you watch is movies, and since perhaps 70-80% or more of this content is scope aspect ratio, then you would likely want a scope screen (assuming your room isn't 'width limited'). But I'm not clear on what you're referring to with regard to 'stretching'. If you're watching 16:9 content on a 2.35:1 or similar screen, there's no way to fill it without either distorting the aspect ratio, or cropping the image. 'Stretch' seems to suggest the aspect ratio change, where people would appear short and fat, for example. Some people might find this acceptable, but many, including myself, would not. Cropping it would chop off 10% of the image top/bottom, which may or may not be problematic.

The non linear stretch is basically a way of using the Radiance Pro to use a percentage of each, the vertical and horizontal stretching which will end up cropping just a tiny amount off the the horizontal final image so that my scope screen will always be utilized no matter the native aspect. Push of a button will just change the setting if aspect is needed. I think that is how it works. It’s a very clever way of stretching standard HD to fit scope. My room is 18’ wide so I maxed out my vertical screen size proportional to my rows of seating which ended up producing a 13’-4” WIDE length 2.35 scope screen.

I’m not a purist but do not care for the stretched looking image by any means! They look horrible but when I saw this other method of achieving a stretched image in a different way I wouldn’t have known it was being altered unless it wasn’t being presented in a side by side comparison so really like the idea of implementing it. If it doesnt work out then can always go back to regular viewing, no problem.

The DCR Lens and a Projector with appropriate Anamorophic Modes would give you excellent display of scope content, and can also accurately display 16:9 content with the push of a button. There is some loss of pixels and brightness for 16:9 content with the DCR in place, as opposed to zooming in and out for scope vs 16:9, but most of us find this a very acceptable trade-off.

As for what projector, and when, this is a never-ending conundrum. There's always something better around the corner, but at some point, if there is an available product which meets my needs and desires, then that would end the delay for me. That's how I ended up with the NX7 and DCR Lens, and am pretty pleased with it. Nobody knows what future products will bring, but I can see being pretty satisfied with this for a number of years.

Yes the never ending tech is a problem I have chose not to chase. That’s why I still have my Sony. I purchased it as soon as it was released and that was based on its brightness plus lens quality. It puts out a bright crisp image so no need to upgrade until can get brighter along with JVC level contrast levels at a much cheaper price point than the Sony was. All the other longer term upgrades like lenses and Lumagen are money better spent in my opinion. They will increase the performance of my existing system until the rest of my audio upgrades catch up.

Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 03-16-2020 at 08:13 AM.
post #1323 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7764 Post(s)
Liked: 9766
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'm no expert either. But why would you want to calibrate a projector given a specific amount of light, and then increase the light by 38% (by adding the lens) and not expect the initial calibration to be wrong?

Mine (RS4500) was calibrated by Craig Rounds with the A-Lens in place.
Definitely want the calibration done with the lens in place. Kris Deering was able to close down the iris, get me the foot lamberts I wanted and better contrast too, due to the increased brightness with the lens in place.
avrignaud likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Definitely want the calibration done with the lens in place. Kris Deering was able to close down the iris, get me the foot lamberts I wanted and better contrast too, due to the increased brightness with the lens in place.
I concur.
Craig Peer, avrignaud and Azekecse like this.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #1325 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right, basic projector functions. But being that I have a 1.5 gain screen and the Lens will add brightness shouldn’t they offset each other up until a certain distance?
Sure - everything in life is a compromise. The trick is finding one that ticks the most number of boxes that are important to you. But yes, the screen and DCR will compensate to some degree the light lost from moving the projector back. Calculations will help, but real-world measurements would be even better.
Quote:
So, maybe just move my current Sony VW1100es back to the optional better aesthetic location to try out its brightness from there and if it’s satisfactory all the merry it will be when the Lens is added. Does that sound about right as far as trying to determine my most optimal setup?
Sounds like a reasonable approach. You'll also need to take into consideration throw distance as far as filling your scope screen, with your current, as well as a future, projector. There's also the minimum throw distance of the DCR lens (1.4x screen width) which needs to be considered.
Quote:
The non linear stretch is basically a way of using the Radiance Pro to use a percentage of each, the vertical and horizontal stretching which will end up cropping just a tiny amount off the the horizontal final image so that my scope screen will always be utilized no matter the native aspect. Push of a button will just change the setting if aspect is needed. I think that is how it works. It’s a very clever way of stretching standard HD to fit scope. My room is 18’ wide so I maxed out my vertical screen size proportional to my rows of seating which ended up producing a 13’-4” WIDE length 2.35 scope screen.

I’m not a purist but do not care for the stretched looking image by any means! They look horrible but when I saw this other method of achieving a stretched image in a different way I wouldn’t have known it was being altered unless it wasn’t being presented in a side by side comparison so really like the idea of implementing it. If it doesnt work out then can always go back to regular viewing, no problem.
Sounds like it's using a combination of the 2 factors I mentioned: stretching and cropping. I've not seen any images demonstrating this technique - the Lumagen scope image vs the original 16:9 image, and would actually be very interested in seeing photos that demonstrate this in action.

post #1326 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks a bunch!

Your 1.5 gain screen might have a minimum throw distance to avoid hotspotting, along with the DCR lens having it's 1.4 minimum throw. Keep those in mind when picking a mounting distance.
DLCPhoto likes this.
post #1327 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 158
FWIW, right now I'm enjoying the JVC NX-7 w/ DTM and the Paladin DCR. Also, I'm not sure I would want to introduce another peripheral in the chain (Lumagen Pro, MadVr Pro), because realistically, the next latest and greatest is always on the horizon, but need to consider it's incremental ROI value. Would I have purchased this combo prior to C-19, I'm uncertain.

I am not knocking those who can afford it, but for me this is currently the best combo, I've experienced in my HT projector existence (~23 yrs). Of course this is dependent on other factors, i.e Media source, Screen, etc. Just my $0.02, and quick thoughts, YMMV of course.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR

Last edited by Azekecse; 03-16-2020 at 02:59 PM.
post #1328 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post
The maximum total lumens (ie light output) from the projector through the lens will be used to fill the entire 2.4:1 screen at 4096 wide resolution. Leaving the lens on, if you then show 16:9 content in its native format with black on the left and right then it will be shown with 3072 pixels wide. So compared to full 2.4:1 movies the 16:9 image will use 75% of the total light from the projector/lens because of fewer pixels, but that will show on 75% of the total 2.4:1 screen area, so the lumens (ie the amount of light) per unit area is the same for all content.

Is there no way to show 16:9 content on a 16:9 screen, using the whole 17:9 panel (with the DCR anamorphic lens on)? Can the Lumagen help with scaling to achieve this ?
post #1329 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 235

Quote:
Sure - everything in life is a compromise. The trick is finding one that ticks the most number of boxes that are important to you. But yes, the screen and DCR will compensate to some degree the light lost from moving the projector back. Calculations will help, but real-world measurements would be even better.

Sounds like a reasonable approach. You'll also need to take into consideration throw distance as far as filling your scope screen, with your current, as well as a future, projector. There's also the minimum throw distance of the DCR lens (1.4x screen width) which needs to be considered.

Sounds like it's using a combination of the 2 factors I mentioned: stretching and cropping. I've not seen any images demonstrating this technique - the Lumagen scope image vs the original 16:9 image, and would actually be very interested in seeing photos that demonstrate this in action.

Here are one of Brolic’s videos. He is a regular member here. There are other videos too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?
v=o9Stq_2lWYM
Here he explains it

Here he updates it with the Pro

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 03-16-2020 at 03:33 PM.
post #1330 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Is there no way to show 16:9 content on a 16:9 screen, using the whole 17:9 panel (with the DCR anamorphic lens on)? Can the Lumagen help with scaling to achieve this ?
16:9 content is not going to be displayed using the entire panel without some of the picture being cropped top and bottom on a 16:9 screen. They are different aspect ratios. Unless you are okay with small black bars on the sides. But why discuss 16:9 screens on the DCR lens thread ? Are you going to use two separate screens ( scope and 16:9 ) like I am?
post #1331 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here are one of Brolic’s videos. He is a regular member here. There are other videos too.

Here he explains it

Here he updates it with the Pro
Very interesting - appreciate the link. I watched it, and found another. I wasn't aware of this capability, and do like the idea that you can select how much cropping to do vs how much stretching, where it stretches, etc.

I'd have to play with it myself to draw any firm conclusions, but this approach is better than others I've seen. I can still see the impact of the stretching, but again it is better than I might have expected. No way for me to know if this is something I would use, but that's pretty neat to have that option available. I wonder if the MadVR Envy will be able to do this.

post #1332 of 1348 Old 03-16-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
There is, but not with the DCR. The Paladin DCR is designed to use the entire 17:9 projector resolution specifically for the 2.4:1 movie format. To use 4096 x 2160 for 16:9 content would require a specialized anamorphic lens and an additional scaling mode just for that additional ~ 6% increase in pixels.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #1333 of 1348 Old 03-20-2020, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Guys,

I'm going to shelf mount my DCR Lens which I've never done before. Always used the ceiling mount. My question concerning the XM2 bracket. do I mount that into the shelf? or do I still use it on top of the projector? Thank you

JVC RS3000 : Panamorph DCR Lens :Seymour New Trim 2.40 140"
Trinnov Altitude 16 : Kaleidescape Strato S 12TB :Kaleidescape 24TB Server :Apple TV 4K
Oppo 203 : Xbox One X
Procella P8's LCR and P5IW & P5V for surrounds and atoms
Procella P15SI x 4 : Audiocontrol G4 AMPS x 3 : Current Setup 9.4. 4 Atmos : Control 4
post #1334 of 1348 Old 03-20-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemike68 View Post
Guys,

I'm going to shelf mount my DCR Lens which I've never done before. Always used the ceiling mount. My question concerning the XM2 bracket. do I mount that into the shelf? or do I still use it on top of the projector? Thank you
I believe mount into the shelf, according to the instructions.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #1335 of 1348 Old 03-20-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemike68 View Post
Guys,

Because JVC projectors have Panamorph mounting holes integrated you can either mount to the shelf or mount to the projector. I think mount to the projector (ie under the projector in this case since the feet are down) would be easiest since there are only two holes and it helps to line everything up. You will see a diagram in the instructions for how to invert the DCR lens in its bracket.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #1336 of 1348 Old 03-20-2020, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Problem installing DCR Lens

Hi Folks, working with dealer to install the DCR lens on an NX7. The problem we're seeing is that the lens seems to zoom the picture out and make it so much smaller that we can't make it fit. Ie, it's squeezing the picture size down. We have tried the Anamorphic C and D and it is not widening the image. The throw is about 15'7"

Just to check, the dealer also installed a Panamorph UH480 he had on the truck, and when it place it does indeed stretch the 2.4:1 video to fit the screen. Any suggestions? (We have updated to latest firmware)

Last edited by avrignaud; 03-20-2020 at 12:25 PM.
post #1337 of 1348 Old 03-20-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrignaud View Post
Hi Folks, working with dealer to install the DCR lens on an NX7. The problem we're seeing is that the lens seems to zoom the picture out and make it so much smaller that we can't make it fit. Ie, it's squeezing the picture size down. We have tried the Anamorphic C and D and it is not widening the image. The throw is about 15'7"

Just to check, the dealer also installed a Panamorph UH480 he had on the truck, and when it place it does indeed stretch the 2.4:1 video to fit the screen. Any suggestions? (We have updated to latest firmware)
The DCR is a vertical compression lens so it works by changing the image height rather than the width to fit a 2.4:1 screen. It is not designed to widen the image like the old lens models. In the instructions you will find the steps for the lens setup. It's important to follow each of those steps before going to the next step. You can certainly request your dealer to contact Panamorph for assistance.

Shawn Kelly
Panamorph, Inc.
www.panamorph.com
[email protected]
post #1338 of 1348 Old 03-20-2020, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kelly View Post
The DCR is a vertical compression lens so it works by changing the image height rather than the width to fit a 2.4:1 screen. It is not designed to widen the image like the old lens models. In the instructions you will find the steps for the lens setup. It's important to follow each of those steps before going to the next step. You can certainly request your dealer to contact Panamorph for assistance.
Thanks Shawn. He's verifying the steps, and will give a call in a bit most likely. Appreciate the fast response!
Edit: looks like I didn't do enough research on the throw ratio (which lands at just over 1.16) - so user error.

Last edited by avrignaud; 03-20-2020 at 01:12 PM.
post #1339 of 1348 Old 03-21-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrignaud View Post
Thanks Shawn. He's verifying the steps, and will give a call in a bit most likely. Appreciate the fast response!
Edit: looks like I didn't do enough research on the throw ratio (which lands at just over 1.16) - so user error.
Hopefully, you have enough room to move back to meet the DCR minimum throw of 1.4. I just barely made it @ 1.4.1.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

post #1340 of 1348 Old 03-21-2020, 07:15 AM

My throw is 1.41:1 and it works fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1341 of 1348 Old 03-21-2020, 02:17 PM

Guys, I’m going to shelf mount my projector but when i removed it from he ceiling i have misplaced the two screws that attached the XM2 plate to the JVC RS3000. Does anyone know the size of the screw, I’ve tried all mine that i can find. Thank you

Trinnov Altitude 16 : Kaleidescape Strato S 12TB :Kaleidescape 24TB Server :Apple TV 4K
Procella P15SI x 4 : Audiocontrol G4 AMPS x 3 : Current Setup 9.4. 4 Atmos : Control 4
post #1342 of 1348 Old 03-21-2020, 02:30 PM

Found it... M4x25MM screws... now off to Home Depot....

post #1343 of 1348 Old 03-24-2020, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 634 Post(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 4106
Quote:
I wonder if the MadVR Envy will be able to do this.
Technically it's not a problem. Personally, I'm not a fan of NLS, I think it's better to watch with black bars than to distort some parts of the image and cut off some other parts. But I guess it's a matter of taste, so if there's enough demand, it will be pretty easy to implement.
post #1344 of 1348 Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Technically it's not a problem. Personally, I'm not a fan of NLS, I think it's better to watch with black bars than to distort some parts of the image and cut off some other parts. But I guess it's a matter of taste, so if there's enough demand, it will be pretty easy to implement.
Understood, and thanks.

My initial reaction was much the same as yours, and I don't know that I would use it, if available. I was just curious, and appreciate your reply.

post #1345 of 1348 Old 03-25-2020, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
Hopefully, you have enough room to move back to meet the DCR minimum throw of 1.4. I just barely made it @ 1.4.1.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

What happens if you don’t quite make it. Example, DCR is too close at 1.30 throw ?

post #1346 of 1348 Old 03-25-2020, 04:56 AM

Quote:
What happens if you don’t quite make it. Example, DCR is too close at 1.30 throw ?

Even @ 1.41.1 I have spillage onto the velvet sides of the screen. I would think you would need to either, move your projector back further or get a smaller screen. I thought of moving my projector back, but it works at its current position, so I thought why bother. Hope this helps. Perhaps Shawn or others can provide better information. Be safe and be well.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited by Azekecse; 03-26-2020 at 04:48 AM.
post #1347 of 1348 Old 03-25-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:

You will have more barrel distortion on the screen. That may or may not bother you. In the past I did not like anamorphic lenses because I felt the distortion outweighed the benefits. It bugged me. At 1.41:1 throw distance in my theater - and I have what I consider a short throw in my setup, the distortion is limited to the sides of the screen ( in the masking ) and is minimal IMO. With the DCR lens, the benefits now far outweighed any distortion. 1.40:1 is pretty short throw wise. A JVC RS4500 or RS3000 for instance doesn't quite have a 1.30 throw even in 17:9 mode using the full panel.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/lens_calc/HTML/jvc_REF.html

And you probably don't want to design a theater with that short a throw. A future projector you might want might not have that short a throw. Don't lock yourself in.
Azekecse likes this.
post #1348 of 1348 Old 03-27-2020, 09:36 PM
sor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Re: port glass - looks like https://hometheatreglass.com fixed their order form issues, I ordered an 11” x 11” 6mm pane of OptiClear, we will see how that goes.
Craig Peer likes this.

Lakeview Cinema build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page