Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Jvc rs4500

I finally got my projector going in second HT. I have watched it about 5 hours so far. I love how bright it is. Picture is amazing..... However it makes quite a bit of noise even with it 8-9 feet behind me. I have the air diverters. Also this happens to be in the hottest room in our house and it feels like it puts out as much heat as a portable 1500 watt heater

**Much better after updated firmware and in a cooler room. Noise is no longer an issue. **

HT #1 Yamaha AVENTAGE 1080 /Dalite 133 built in ceiling / Ben Q W1500 / SVS PB1000 Sub / Bose (LOL I know)
HT#2 Seaton Catalyst 12C L/C/R / JVC RS4500 / Yamaha 3070 / DYI 160 inch wall screen.
65 in Panasonic Plasma in bedroom

Last edited by dllhg; 03-14-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 7490 Post(s)
Liked: 9091
Quote:
Originally Posted by dllhg View Post
I finally got my projector going in second HT. I have watched it about 5 hours so far. I love how bright it is. Picture is amazing..... However it makes quite a bit of noise even with it 8-9 feet behind me. I have the air diverters. Also this happens to be in the hottest room in our house and it feels like it puts out as much heat as a portable 1500 watt heater

I'm considering other options. Noise and a lot of heat are pretty big concerns. I suppose you could build an enclosure that would help a lot with sound and find a way to pump the hot air outdoors

I really wanted 4K and I really didn't want to have bulbs to deal with. Mainly diminishing PQ issue with bulbs. 500 hours and they are not the same anymore. I didn't expect these issues would bother me so much but I find myself considering other options....

Any advice ? I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to sell If I did decide to. It has a total of 15 hours on it and could sell for about a third under MSRP.
How warm is it in that room ? This projector runs quieter if run cooler. Also, do you have the latest firmware installed ( there were fan noise improvements in one of the firmware updates ) ? I feel that a projector enclosure vented to the outside is a must for this and just about every projector I've had. That is one way to go.
post #3 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2489
Quote:
. Also this happens to be in the hottest room in our house and it feels like it puts out as much heat as a portable 1500 watt heater

I suppose you could build an enclosure that would help a lot with sound and find a way to pump the hot air outdoors

Any advice ?
It really depends on what your ambient temperature is. The fan levels on the Z1/RS4500 vary according to ambient temperature.

I would NOT run the Z1/RS4500 in an non air conditioned environment ...summer time would make it unusable for me. Once ambient temps climb over about 25c the fan levels ramp up.

Keep the environment cool and its not an issue..
OzHDHT and Mark_H like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
It really depends on what your ambient temperature is. The fan levels on the Z1/RS4500 vary according to ambient temperature.

I would NOT run the Z1/RS4500 in an non air conditioned environment ...summer time would make it unusable for me. Once ambient temps climb over about 25c the fan levels ramp up.

Keep the environment cool and its not an issue..
Considering I live where it getting 110 F / 43 C in the summer, any projector would be unusable for me - the theater in general would be way too hot. I agree - we usually have our theater under 25C in the summer. No issues.
woofer and OzHDHT like this.
post #5 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
How warm is it in that room ? This projector runs quieter if run cooler. Also, do you have the latest firmware installed ( there were fan noise improvements in one of the firmware updates ) ? I feel that a projector enclosure vented to the outside is a must for this and just about every projector I've had. That is one way to go.

Not that warm when we fire it up. Maybe 75 degrees. With projector running it heats it up a lot more. We have the door closed because it is near my son's room. We do have central AC. Once we properly shade the windows I don't think it will be any warmer than the rest of the house.

I have had it sitting in a box since around March of last year. So if there are updates since then I do not have them. Pretty easy to update ? When you update will it erase all of your settings ?

So you always build enclosure and vent to outside ? Beyond what I could do. Do you have a carpenter frame in a second wall or just an enclosure around projector ?

HT #1 Yamaha AVENTAGE 1080 /Dalite 133 built in ceiling / Ben Q W1500 / SVS PB1000 Sub / Bose (LOL I know)
HT#2 Seaton Catalyst 12C L/C/R / JVC RS4500 / Yamaha 3070 / DYI 160 inch wall screen.
post #6 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not that warm when we fire it up. Maybe 75 degrees. With projector running it heats it up a lot more. We have the door closed because it is near my son's room. We do have central AC. Once we properly shade the windows I don't think it will be any warmer than the rest of the house.

I have had it sitting in a box since around March of last year. So if there are updates since then I do not have them. Pretty easy to update ? When you update will it erase all of your settings ?

So you always build enclosure and vent to outside ? Beyond what I could do. Do you have a carpenter frame in a second wall or just an enclosure around projector ?
Update the firmware to the current 1.22 VERY easy to do..
post #7 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When you update will it erase all of your settings ?
All settings are retained..
post #8 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I built a projector closet when I moved into our current house and built my theater, 10 years ago. Wasn't aimed at any particular projector - more like all of them. The RS4500 is just the 6th projector to be stationed in there. What size is your screen ? You may find that once calibrated ( call Chad B ) mid laser is bright enough, depending on screen size.
post #9 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I built a projector closet when I moved into our current house and built my theater, 10 years ago. Wasn't aimed at any particular projector - more like all of them. The RS4500 is just the 6th projector to be stationed in there. What size is your screen ? You may find that once calibrated ( call Chad B ) mid laser is bright enough, depending on screen size.
Sounds cool. I'd like to see some pictures of it. Perhaps I wont need it once updated and I have room cooler...

My screen is 12 feet wide. Room is only 18 feet long and projector is all the way back of course. It is sitting on top of an AV cabinet.

Would be thrilled if I dont have to get another new projector

post #10 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Sounds cool. I'd like to see some pictures of it. Perhaps I wont need it once updated and I have room cooler...

My screen is 12 feet wide. Room is only 18 feet long and projector is all the way back of course. It is sitting on top of an AV cabinet.

here you go. It's vented out the attic using an inline duct fan. Has worked great for 10 years !

post #11 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:

What's right behing your RS4500 wall wise ? Several people have pointed out that more noise comes from the back - you might put something sound absorbant on the wall directly behind the projector and see what happens.
post #12 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Why not a hush box?

And if it's 8-9 feet behind you, maybe that's disguised by a rear acoustically transparent wall?
post #13 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
here you go. It's vented out the attic using an inline duct fan. Has worked great for 10 years !

Nice job !

Mine is right up against the wall. A few inches from wall. I thought the noise was coming from the diverters. I need to look at that again.

post #14 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Nice job !

Mine is right up against the wall. A few inches from wall. I thought the noise was coming from the diverters. I need to look at that again.
Thanks. The rear wall could easily be magnifying the sound of the intake, made worse because it's warm. Make sure the exhuast isn't somehow being drawn back into the intake too.
post #15 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. The rear wall could easily be magnifying the sound of the intake, made worse because it's warm. Make sure the exhuast isn't somehow being drawn back into the intake too.
Thanks for all the help. I'll report back once I get the update and cool the room a little more. I'll try moving the unit a few more inches away from the wall. The diverters pump air out the sides so I dont see them going into intake in the rear..

How much power do these these draw anyway ? I would guess around 1000 watts at full power. A real beast. My cheapo Ben Q W1500 downstairs looks like a little toy compared to this thing. A lot easier to mount and super quite though.

post #16 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 05:07 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Sorry I thought this thread was about Stormy Daniels
post #17 of 40 Old 01-17-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 552
^^^

Jack’s third cousin.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #18 of 40 Old 01-18-2018, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@dllhg

What is the firmware version currently on your Z1/RS4500 ?

I know the first time i auditioned the Z1/RS4500 with the "original" firmware, it sounded like a "Hair Dryer" on steroids !! 'Thankfully" that has all changed..
post #19 of 40 Old 01-18-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 99
It doesn't appear that anyone has asked you what laser setting you are using. If it's on HIGH, then yes, it's noisy, but on MEDIUM it is fairly quiet (I can barely hear it).

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
post #20 of 40 Old 01-18-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post
It doesn't appear that anyone has asked you what laser setting you are using. If it's on HIGH, then yes, it's noisy, but on MEDIUM it is fairly quiet (I can barely hear it).
Yep, but even High Laser has several "steps" that depend an ambient temps..
post #21 of 40 Old 01-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I'll report back once I get the update and cool the room a little more. I'll try moving the unit a few more inches away from the wall. The diverters pump air out the sides so I dont see them going into intake in the rear..

How much power do these these draw anyway ? I would guess around 1000 watts at full power. A real beast. My cheapo Ben Q W1500 downstairs looks like a little toy compared to this thing. A lot easier to mount and super quite though.
The unit requires a certain distance at the back of the unit to any obstruction (wall). I believe it's around 12" to allow for ample airflow through the intake at the rear of the unit, which is where the bulk of the sound comes from. If you have it right up against the wall you could be doing two things that work against you here. 1) you do not have enough clearance form the wall to allow adequate airflow and 2) since most of the sound comes from the rear then you are probably getting a lot of sound reverberated back towards you off the wall.
Craig Peer likes this.

JVC RS4500 projector/Lumagen Radiance Pro /Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs
post #22 of 40 Old 01-19-2018, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
The unit requires a certain distance at the back of the unit to any obstruction (wall). I believe it's around 12" to allow for ample airflow through the intake at the rear of the unit, which is where the bulk of the sound comes from. If you have it right up against the wall you could be doing two things that work against you here. 1) you do not have enough clearance form the wall to allow adequate airflow and 2) since most of the sound comes from the rear then you are probably getting a lot of sound reverberated back towards you off the wall.
before most of the sound was from the front. Now I would agree it is from the rear. Firmware update made a big improvement on the fan noise. I bought the unit last Feb before they released that fix. Can you believe I sat on this thing for so long and just started using it ? Had some remodeling I was waiting for to run speakers wires under new floor etc plus a few months of laziness.

I am still concerned about the heat it puts out. I guess with fan running less it wont pump as much heat out ? I am going to put in blackout insulated curtains in. Should help a lot of that particular rooms high temps in the summer.

Couple questions .

Can this projector do Dolby Vision ?

How big of a difference does the 4K player make ? I just grabbed a Sony X800. Was reading about the OPPO-203. Think PQ and sound would be noticeably better ? I have to say this unit is blowing me away just with regular HD so far. It must be up scaling because the picture looks better on my painted wall than it does on my downstairs Dalite/W1500 setup I am waiting to figure out exactly what sized screen to get before I invest in one. Other than the few nail holes I can see, the PQ is honestly incredible....

post #23 of 40 Old 01-20-2018, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 13035 Post(s)
Liked: 10670
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

I would not vent outside. That puts your house in negative pressure, so that your house is sucking in high humidity air. Unless you happen to live in an area with low humidity. I have my 4500 so that it vents to another area of my house. I am using one of the whisper quiet bath fans with adjustable output. At 80 CFM is is so quiet, that I can't hear it. I installed a relay activated with 12 volt power. Have that plugged into the 12 volt trigger on the projector, so that when the projector comes on, the fan automaticlly starts. I never hear the fan.

Added
Can you have a second supply vent run into your room?

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 01-20-2018 at 08:28 AM.
post #24 of 40 Old 01-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
before most of the sound was from the front. Now I would agree it is from the rear. Firmware update made a big improvement on the fan noise. I bought the unit last Feb before they released that fix. Can you believe I sat on this thing for so long and just started using it ? Had some remodeling I was waiting for to run speakers wires under new floor etc plus a few months of laziness.

I am still concerned about the heat it puts out. I guess with fan running less it wont pump as much heat out ? I am going to put in blackout insulated curtains in. Should help a lot of that particular rooms high temps in the summer.

Couple questions .

Can this projector do Dolby Vision ?

How big of a difference does the 4K player make ? I just grabbed a Sony X800. Was reading about the OPPO-203. Think PQ and sound would be noticeably better ? I have to say this unit is blowing me away just with regular HD so far. It must be up scaling because the picture looks better on my painted wall than it does on my downstairs Dalite/W1500 setup I am waiting to figure out exactly what sized screen to get before I invest in one. Other than the few nail holes I can see, the PQ is honestly incredible....
No projector can do Dolby Vision. And the Oppo 203 does have some features coming that may make it the player to own, and Panasonic has the new UB820 with some new features too.
post #25 of 40 Old 01-20-2018, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I would not vent outside. That puts your house in negative pressure, so that your house is sucking in high humidity air. Unless you happen to live in an area with low humidity. I have my 4500 so that it vents to another area of my house. I am using one of the whisper quiet bath fans with adjustable output. At 80 CFM is is so quiet, that I can't hear it. I installed a relay activated with 12 volt power. Have that plugged into the 12 volt trigger on the projector, so that when the projector comes on, the fan automaticlly starts. I never hear the fan.

Added
Can you have a second supply vent run into your room?

I was thinking of having air coming in and out. Good point about humid air though.No attic above in this room. Only thing I could do is vent it outdoors. Below the projector is my garage. Possibly run a small ac and pump the air up to it. Getting a bit too involved at that point I think. Did you build an enclosure around yours as well ? Pictures ? Given how much heat this puts out it would have to be ventilated.

I played with some settings last night. Fan was pretty quiet until I put it on user 1 and natural. Both of those kicked the fan speed up a lot. Wasn't terrible but probably twice as loud.

post #26 of 40 Old 01-20-2018, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No projector can do Dolby Vision. And the Oppo 203 does have some features coming that may make it the player to own, and Panasonic has the new UB820 with some new features too.
Okay that's good to know. I'll probably stick with the Sony for now. I dont want to cut any corners though and a few hundred more I wouldn't have to wonder if I was missing anything... I played 4K on netflix and on Amazon. It didnt seem much better that the 1080 content I have been watching. I am sitting 9 feet away from 150 inch screen. I am suspicious about streaming 4K not being a true 4K. That or my unit is up scaling to 4K really well and I cant tell the difference. If it wasn't for HDR I would have likely gone with a faux 4K unit and spent a lot less money. I was also skeptical about upconverted PQ. Going to hook up my 4K DVD player today and see how that looks.

post #27 of 40 Old 01-20-2018, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Okay that's good to know. I'll probably stick with the Sony for now. I dont want to cut any corners though and a few hundred more I wouldn't have to wonder if I was missing anything... I played 4K on netflix and on Amazon. It didnt seem much better that the 1080 content I have been watching. I am sitting 9 feet away from 150 inch screen. I am suspicious about streaming 4K not being a true 4K. That or my unit is up scaling to 4K really well and I cant tell the difference. If it wasn't for HDR I would have likely gone with a faux 4K unit and spent a lot less money. I was also skeptical about upconverted PQ. Going to hook up my 4K DVD player today and see how that looks.
Whether content is native or "true" 4K or not 4K resolution is only one factor in the picture quality and clarity. Another major factor to be aware of (especially when streaming from the internet) is the bitrate of the video being delivered, which gives you a good clue as to how compressed the video is. Usually 4K from Netflix is about 15-20 megabits (not megabytes) per second when the content is 24fps. I'm not sure exactly about 4K from Amazon Video. 4K UHD blu-rays are usually around 60 Mbps at 24fps and HDR, when using H.265 HEVC format. Also, keep in mind that 99% of 4K content that you see just about anywhere anytime is compressed to some degree in some way in some format. This is because a 2 hour film with a native or true 4K studio master DPX/TIFF sequence is several TBs in size, so anything to be delivered to a consumer needs to go through compression first, whether it'd be UHD 4K blu-ray, Netflix/Amazon streaming, etc. Even movie theaters with a 4K digital projector do a mild form of compression when the content is delivered in DCP. Of course, the picture quality is still superb and "visually lossless" because the compression is very good/mild. Original resolution of the content matters a lot, but so does the degree of compression the content goes through before it hits your eyes.

As far as upscaling 1080p to 4K, I'm also a Sony X800 owner, and I'm pretty satisfied with the upscaling abilities of the player. I'm pretty sure the JVC 4500 upscales pretty good as well. I can guarantee you though that the quality gap between 1080p and 4K/2160p is not going to be as big as the gap between 480i/p and 1080p. There'll be some improvements, but if you're expecting 4K to be night and day from 1080p, you might be a little disappointed. The HDR and wide color gamut will give you far more bang for your buck.

Last edited by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan; 01-20-2018 at 10:51 PM.
post #28 of 40 Old 01-20-2018, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 13035 Post(s)
Liked: 10670
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I was thinking of having air coming in and out. Good point about humid air though.No attic above in this room. Only thing I could do is vent it outdoors. Below the projector is my garage. Possibly run a small ac and pump the air up to it. Getting a bit too involved at that point I think. Did you build an enclosure around yours as well ? Pictures ? Given how much heat this puts out it would have to be ventilated.

I played with some settings last night. Fan was pretty quiet until I put it on user 1 and natural. Both of those kicked the fan speed up a lot. Wasn't terrible but probably twice as loud.
No hush box and my 4500 is just above me. I have good airflow into the room and exhaust the hot air, right above the projector out of the room. Since I can keep the room cool, I do not have any problem with fan noise, though I do not use high. I use medium for SDR and HDR, just different manual iris settings.

If you are exhausting air outside the house, you need to bring back in make up air, but you need to dehumidify the make up air. This can introduce quite a bit of cost. This is why I just send the exhaust air to my other zone in my house. I have a total of three zones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS4500 with A-lens.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	2348830   Click image for larger version

Name:	powered vent.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	616.8 KB
ID:	2348832  
OzHDHT and Reddig like this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 01-20-2018 at 11:10 PM.
post #29 of 40 Old 01-20-2018, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Mine is also ceiling mounted but again I have aircon in the room, which is really needed as the room is so well insulated for soundproofing it traps a lot of heat plus is a second floor room to boot. With stable temp in the room my unit runs a fine. I also don't bother with high laser as mid seems to do the job well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	673.4 KB
ID:	2348834  
post #30 of 40 Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I didnt realize you could ceiling mount these. I have a high ceiling so not doable anyway.

You guys both mention mid laser. Where is the setting for laser output ? My fan kicks on higher when I hit the HDR mode.

So I played Apollo 13 on my new 4K player in HDR. I had to adjust the gamma settings using that hot button which has presets. One scene where you can see the crowd in the stands waiting for lift off there are some guys in uniforms and it was too dark to see detail in their jackets. Found a setting that worked great and still gave the amazing color of HDR. I had no idea regular Blurays were so pale in comparison. Kept going back and forth and I actually had a hard time believing the difference was this big. If you play an HDR disc and put it in another mode is it going to look washed out like that or is the difference really that big ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page