Favorite 4k Blu Ray Movie & Chapter Demos! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 03-04-2018, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Favorite 4k Blu Ray Movie & Chapter Demos!

OK folks. List your favorite 4k blu ray movie demos by movie & chapter. This will be a great list for us in demoing our projectors & theatres. In terms of best picture & audio quality!

(Getting ready to demo my theatre the end of this month for our entire Az Audio Video Club.)
SuperFist likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 If I recommend a dealer It will be a person to person recommendation! Theatre renovation/upgrade awaiting July/August 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-04-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
I have 2 to start you out:

Planet Earth II: This is a video demo as audio is only ok, as expected. It's a visual spectacle to show off your Sony projector, and one of THE greatest nature documentaries ever made IMHO. I don't understand how they got some of these shots. Any chapter is good.

Blade Runner 2049: This is an unbelievable audio demo and a can't-miss. The movie is dreadfully long and is no match for original Blade Runner, movie wise, but it has Ryan Gosling ( my favorite actor YMMV). Gut wrenching gun shots and stupendous bass that will shake your hometheater and diagnose ALL the loose screws, shelves, panels, etc. in the room LOL. I don't have the chapters yet but a couple of the fight scenes (of course) are noteworthy. This is an Atmos movie and I believe @Roger Dressler likes the immersion effect, so that should tell you it's top notch Atmos :-).

I really can't go on enough about the dynamics of the sound mix and the bass of this movie. It's not just quantity, but quality as well: there's a variety of different "types" and "sounds" of the bass effects, making the audio so very interesting. My subwoofers were drenched in sweat :-). For a good laugh, make sure you crank up as loud as possible the start of the movie then stand back and watch everyone jumps at the space ship's arrival, from behind, "right through their bodies."
kingwiggi and phara like this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 03-06-2018 at 06:25 PM.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-05-2018, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A couple more for you. Dredd is now considered a cult favorite for many. Available in 4k but I think it's 2k up-converted. Nevertheless it will impress your audience and show off the JL Audio Fathom very nicely. It's a well known bass blockbuster, one of the best/deepest ever made (down to 4-5 Hz !! on PvA graph IIRC, and top 10 in my book).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post50484153
Dredd A 5-star bass blockbuster with an extremely polished bass mix, and also quite a tongue-in-cheek fun action movie. I am just not content with hearing explosions anymore (War Horse for example) because it gets boring after a while, so I'm happy that in Dredd, the bass mix is sophisticated with a variety of bass effects, and therefore so much more interesting. My son the movie buff and I both loved it. Available for pennies on ebay and therefore *extremely* highly recommended. There are other movies (NOT many) with perhaps "louder" bass, but this is top 7 because it has "sophisticated" bass :-). Scenes: Chapter 2 5:50 - Chapter 7 Lock down; door dropping - Chapter 10: Opens with an explosion that would clean your ears and followed by complete mayhem. Of note, at 51:38 as extremely menacing rumbling came on as Dredd tortured Kay. So subtle yet adds so much to the experience - listen to see if your subwoofer highlights this, I love it!

Enchanted Kingdom If you have any interest in 3D, this is a must IMHO. I'm not a 3D expert but of all the ones I've seen, this is far and away my most favorite. I like all of these nature documentaries from BBC.

Deep Water Horizon HDR 4k + stupendous sound, a well known movie for bass-heads. Video is good, but audio is why this should be a demo for every system (what can I say I'm an audiophile and good sound is everything ). Enjoyable movie, with another favorite actor, John Malkovich. HUGE bass to ~18 Hz.
Craig Peer likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 03-05-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Hrm...

The opening scene of Mad Max. Starts off with creepy voices above and around you, the roar of the engine starting, followed by a few seconds of silence and then the chaos chasing him. Quick way to demo 4 aspects of a solid Atmos theater.

And although not a movie, I love the R.E.M. atmos remix, and I'm not even a fan.

Completely agree on BR:2049. I watched it and the original last weekend.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #5 of 31 Old 03-06-2018, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6566 Post(s)
Liked: 7593
I don't have particular chapters, but I agree with the above movies and will add the following ( 4K UHD Blu-ray ) -

Wonder Woman - great movie and looks excellent over all.

IT - best looking scary clown movie I've ever seen !

Lone Survivor

Passengers

Baby Driver

Kick Ass

Kingsman 1 & 2

Logan Lucky - might be the sharpest looking 4K Blu-ray I have. Fun movie too.

Hacksaw Ridge

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
post #6 of 31 Old 03-06-2018, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Opening chapter of "Unbroken" is great too...
post #7 of 31 Old 03-08-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted C View Post
Opening chapter of "Unbroken" is great too...
Is that 4K?

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post
Is that 4K?
No, it is not.

One 4K movie I love, that looks excellent is " The Martian " ! And of course " Lucy " ! " Valerian " is also some great looking eye candy !
post #9 of 31 Old 03-12-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot to mention this one - another ABSOLUTE can't-miss for demo, as this is both an audio and video spectacle. This movie always left *me* (let alone my audience ) shaking . One of the best video demos ever IMHO. It is also real 4k.

Interstellar: Mostly a mid-bass dominated movie, but nevertheless, in all my years of fooling around with audio, this is probably the most prominent example yet of sounds (NOT the physical vibration, just sounds) that give me an illusion that objects are physically shaking in my room (think about it :-)). An intense, very intense, sonic experience that makes me feel like I were there (and isn't that what this is all about?). Oscar nomination best sound editing/mixing 2014 Richard King. Demo Scenes: Liftoff (oh my goodness!) - Entering worm hole (holy macaroni :-)) - In Gargantua (OMG!).

The sound engineer is Richard King who has won or been nominated for multiple previous sound Oscars. Bass-heads know him from War of the Worlds, Master & Commander, Dark Knight. Need I say more?
Craig Peer likes this.

Regards, Can
post #10 of 31 Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 948
No mention of the 5th Element here? Very good Atmos mix in that one.
Archibald1 likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #11 of 31 Old 04-10-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Enchanted Kingdom If you have any interest in 3D, this is a must IMHO. I'm not a 3D expert but of all the ones I've seen, this is far and away my most favorite. I like all of these nature documentaries from BBC.
Just re-watched Enchanted Kingdom and giving second recommendation :-). IMHO if you want to show off the capability of your "ultimate" projector, this is the one and only. One of those Blurays that makes me regret that 3D might be a dying format.

Chapter 3: Spectacular Flamingo dance and flight-off. I would love to see this on a BIG 15 ft wide screen.
Chapter 6: Underwater. Mesmerizing 3D depth - perhaps the best of them all. Fantastic Atmos sound. Check out the lionfish scene.
Chapter 9: Conclusion with nice uplifting music that gives some hope for future of other species on this planet.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 04-10-2018 at 06:25 PM.
post #12 of 31 Old 04-15-2018, 12:45 PM

A few new demo discs out on 4K Blu-ray -

3 Billboards - excellent picture and I like the movie a lot.

The Greatest Showman - top tier picture and sound for sure ! If you like musicals, this is a must have demo disc. My entire room full of people last night were wowed !
cannga and sgzarate like this.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
UHD Batman Trilogy.

Particularly the Dark Knight Rises.

A pin sharp and super detailed rendition with a great soundtrack. (True 4K image and also 4K VFX).
post #14 of 31 Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Just re-watched Enchanted Kingdom and giving second recommendation :-). IMHO if you want to show off the capability of your "ultimate" projector, this is the one and only. One of those Blurays that makes me regret that 3D might be a dying format.

Chapter 3: Spectacular Flamingo dance and flight-off. I would love to see this on a BIG 15 ft wide screen.
Chapter 6: Underwater. Mesmerizing 3D depth - perhaps the best of them all. Fantastic Atmos sound. Check out the lionfish scene.
Chapter 9: Conclusion with nice uplifting music that gives some hope for future of other species on this planet.
If you take a Phoenix area vacation you can see it on my BIG 14' wide [email protected]@@
SuperFist likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 If I recommend a dealer It will be a person to person recommendation! Theatre renovation/upgrade awaiting July/August 2019!
post #15 of 31 Old 04-25-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Some great recs above for sure. That liftoff scene in Interstellar definitely separates the men from the boys so to speak when it comes to HT setups! Same with some of the famous moments in Master & Commander. It was probably 2002 or so when a neighbor wanted to show off his new Bose setup. I was like "Cool, pop this in there! It has an insane DTS track." His poor "bass module" just puttered and chuffed its way through. Thought we were going to blow his speakers. So we went back to my house where I had a setup with some big Cerwin Vega towers (not great speakers by any means, but they can sure take some abuse). My vastly cheaper setup handled M&C like a champ and he returned his Bose gear that weekend. Lol.

Another great one to show off your home theater is the beginning of Pacific Rim. Awesome visuals, big, clean bass, and a track that will get everybody in the mood to watch a giant monster/mech fighting movie! I always loved when my setup totally changed their opinion of the movie 100%. People who have watched it without a sound system on a small screen understandably thought it was hokey. But then they'd watch it on my 120" screen with a 4K PJ, Atmos, and a couple massive subs with big power... Then it went straight to epic, no matter the person. Always blew people's minds how much it changed their opinion of the film.
post #16 of 31 Old 04-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The train crash scene from Super 8 is also highly recommended. Very good demo material to check if your speakers could handle the sound. A friend's Monitor Golds couldn't and ended up sounding screechy,
post #17 of 31 Old 04-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The Huntsman: Winter's War looked great: great picture depth (3D like) and the night scenes with torches looked awesome.
post #18 of 31 Old 04-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinav555 View Post
The train crash scene from Super 8 is also highly recommended. Very good demo material to check if your speakers could handle the sound. A friend's Monitor Golds couldn't and ended up sounding screechy,
Can you get Super 8 in UHD now? Love that movie
post #19 of 31 Old 04-26-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Binegar View Post
Can you get Super 8 in UHD now? Love that movie
While not 4K, the standard Blu-Ray is only like $8 right now. Well worth an impulse buy at that price.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-27-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
If you take a Phoenix area vacation you can see it on my BIG 14' wide [email protected]@@
Ah yes I am sure it looks fantastic!

Have you had the GTG yet?

Regards, Can
post #21 of 31 Old 04-27-2018, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
While not 4K, the standard Blu-Ray is only like $8 right now. Well worth an impulse buy at that price.

Agreed, train wreck sequence is an all-time classic. Devastatingly dynamic .

I am a little leery of reissue, primarily about whether the new mix is as good as original. So my vote would be for the standard Bluray also.

Sound engineer's Ben Burrt interview

Regards, Can
post #22 of 31 Old 05-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Agreed, train wreck sequence is an all-time classic. Devastatingly dynamic .

I am a little leery of reissue, primarily about whether the new mix is as good as original. So my vote would be for the standard Bluray also.

Sound engineer's Ben Burrt interview

https://youtu.be/ryVNG6WPCxg
As far as I know, there is no UHD reissue for Super 8. But if anyone knows differently, please chime in.
post #23 of 31 Old 05-03-2018, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The starting airplane scene of The Dark Knight Rises. Shot in IMAX, so its 16:9 and sounds amazing.

John Wick 2 from about the 54th minute. Excellent sound mixing, and an overall dark scene to show off blacks.

The Grey. Not in 4k (afaik) but that airplane crash scene is just horrifying to watch. Turn up the volume for that one. If i'm ever in a plane crash, i KNOW that's how scary it'll sound.
SuperFist likes this.
post #24 of 31 Old 07-04-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
So far, I've been most impressed with these 4k movies and consider these my go to movies for demo's:

Pacific Rim

Logan
X-Men Apocalypse
Fate of the Furious
The Great Wall
Passengers
Lucy

After investing more into my audio equipment, I have some completely different recommendations, leaning more toward quality of bass and atmos/dts-x effects:

Mad Max Fury Road
Ready Player One
Pacific Rim
Star Trek

The Matrix
John Wick (1 or 2)

Black Panther
Kong Skull Island

Last edited by m0j0; 12-30-2018 at 09:56 AM.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-05-2018, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Saw Den of Thieves last night. Few scenes really stood out in terms of audio.

Mild spoilers:

1. Opening Scene
2. Donnie takes Merrimen for a drive
3. Final Shootout
post #26 of 31 Old 07-06-2018, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1616
Lucy: 20% just let it run spectacular visuals color dynamic range and Atmos
Lawrence of Arabia : start at Chapter2 incredible clarity rich true color images wonderful dynamics visually
Dunkirk: Opening scene with visual dynamics all through great depth and detail. Audio can be jarringly incredible if Atmos set up is up to the task
post #27 of 31 Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM

Gladiator looks excellent on 4K Blu-ray.

Fury is another movie that looks outstanding on 4K Blu-ray.
post #28 of 31 Old 07-17-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Gladiator looks excellent on 4K Blu-ray.
It does indeed!

I will add:
Pacific Rim, X-Men Apocalypse, The Great Wall, Passengers, Lucy, GOTG Vol2, Atomic Blonde, Batman trilogy (especially 2 and 3) and Red Sparrow.
(Spectacular visuals on that last one.... uh-hum..... cough...)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #29 of 31 Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Here's some more recommendations after watching many, many 4k movies on my setup, which has now grown to a 7.1.4 setup with 2 near field subs (hence more emphasis on movies with great sound):

Spider Man Into the Spider Verse
Wonder Woman
Fury
Blade Runner 2049
Ready Player One
Aquaman
Mad Max Fury Road
Insurgent (and Divergent for that matter)
Terminator Genisys
The Matrix
Star Trek Into Darkness

Last edited by m0j0; 04-19-2019 at 07:06 PM.
post #30 of 31 Old 04-17-2019, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Check out Mortal engines for Pq thats up their with the best of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement