Now that OPPO is gone, what will you use for your disc player? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #61 of 86 Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Glad I picked up a 205 before they dropped them from production. I put myself on the list for a second one in case they make some more. I wouldn't mind an extra one for my living room...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 02-03-2019, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 882
I still have my 205, but discs are finished for me. I haven't watched one in 6 months I think. I'll likely ebay them all and clear it all out.

With apple tv/ itunes, I like:
a) renting
b) library functions
d) simplification of my overall system (single source)
e) I am mostly watching streamed shows anyway
f) atmos - it still sounds very good and unless I A/B it, im not going to notice a difference that is worthy to worry about for most movies
g) most movies are not good enough for me to care about their atmos quality anyway.
h) my music needs are mostly electronic music and Apple Music compression sounds fine - again I can play this via my apple TV without changing sources, etc
i) voice search to find stuff

My CD's and next my blu-rays are going to wind up collecting dust.
Our new media room design for another house doesn't even include space to keep discs or physical media.

Blazar!
post #63 of 86 Old 02-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 583
I still mostly use my PlayStation 3 or Xbox One for Blu-ray discs, but I also have a Toshiba HD-A30 HD DVD player that I use for regular DVD's since I like the fact that the menu for the player has an audio option for dialog enhancement. Now that I have a 4K TV though, I was considering an Xbox One S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 86 Old 06-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Panasonic

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
post #65 of 86 Old 06-15-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I still have my 205, but discs are finished for me. I haven't watched one in 6 months I think. I'll likely ebay them all and clear it all out.

With apple tv/ itunes, I like:
a) renting
b) library functions
d) simplification of my overall system (single source)
e) I am mostly watching streamed shows anyway
f) atmos - it still sounds very good and unless I A/B it, im not going to notice a difference that is worthy to worry about for most movies
g) most movies are not good enough for me to care about their atmos quality anyway.
h) my music needs are mostly electronic music and Apple Music compression sounds fine - again I can play this via my apple TV without changing sources, etc
i) voice search to find stuff

My CD's and next my blu-rays are going to wind up collecting dust.
Our new media room design for another house doesn't even include space to keep discs or physical media.
I also still have my Oppo 205, but new movies are from KScape with my new Kaleidescape system! Sony just closed its UK disc plant (including blu rays and 4k, though Sony has several other such plants still functional in Europe). I'm afraid that in 4-5 years blu rays, let alone 4k discs, will be that much more hard to come by. Hopefully KScape will stick around! The more compressed video and audio via Apple, Voodoo, etc simply don't do it for me.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #66 of 86 Old 06-15-2019, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The simple, best good one, and the best one, is either The Playsation 4 Pro or XboX One S.
As these are basically mini computers, their horse power can * reach * * * * * stabilizing 30+ mega bits per second bit rates on consumer 2160p (4k consumer HD video output) and really garnehses a lot of horse power.

The best?
AMD Ryzen 3 w/ hopefully HDMI 2.1 Cinsumer 4K Blu - Ray supported.

Etc.

Look for * hackers messages from the deep web (dark web?
MIRC
Irc.relic.net

They should still be around?

- Andy
post #67 of 86 Old 06-15-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I also still have my Oppo 205, but new movies are from KScape with my new Kaleidescape system! Sony just closed its UK disc plant (including blu rays and 4k, though Sony has several other such plants still functional in Europe). I'm afraid that in 4-5 years blu rays, let alone 4k discs, will be that much more hard to come by. Hopefully KScape will stick around! The more compressed video and audio via Apple, Voodoo, etc simply don't do it for me.
with advent of 8k tv's and bigger and bigger home internet capability (we have way more available than we use), the quality will get there... hopefully before we are too old to see it!

Blazar!
post #68 of 86 Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
with advent of 8k tv's and bigger and bigger home internet capability (we have way more available than we use), the quality will get there... hopefully before we are too old to see it!
I agree - but also re your last sentence! I've got 900+ mbps so I can already handle whatever. But it may take years before Apple, etc do disc equivalent downloads like KScape does - so I decided to take that leap now rather than AFTER I leap into my grave!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #69 of 86 Old 06-18-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
The Oppos are the Swiss Army knife of UHD players with all their great features. We especially like the Zoom mode to get rid of the black bars as much as we can. Mode 1.2 is awesome! I recently picked up a 205 so will sell one of my 203s soon. Anyway, I plan to use the Oppo with an Apple 4K for a long time. Even sending the A4K into the Oppo allows use of the Zoom mode! You get the best of both worlds utilizing an Oppo...

Good morning joerod,

Can I rig my Oppo 103D up the same way with ATV?
Seems possible when I look at the manual and input/output terminals...the only thing I wonder about is:
"Either of the two HDMI output terminals (HDMI 1 OUT and/or HDMI 2 OUT) on the rear panel of the BDP-103D can be connected to your receiver. Preference should be given to the HDMI 1 output
for video since it is the only output to benefit from the superior Darbee Visual Presence and Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processors."
Which merely seems to say I can not use darbee and ATV?

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510, MiniDSP 2x4HD/WI-DG
Oppo 103d, Apple TV 4K, GIK MBT Panels
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, 4 monitor surround 3 v7, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
post #70 of 86 Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Good morning joerod,

Can I rig my Oppo 103D up the same way with ATV?
Seems possible when I look at the manual and input/output terminals...the only thing I wonder about is:
"Either of the two HDMI output terminals (HDMI 1 OUT and/or HDMI 2 OUT) on the rear panel of the BDP-103D can be connected to your receiver. Preference should be given to the HDMI 1 output
for video since it is the only output to benefit from the superior Darbee Visual Presence and Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processors."
Which merely seems to say I can not use darbee and ATV?
That’s a good question. It’s been awhile since I have had a 103D in my presence. You can always try and see what you get. Keep us posted I am curious.

NVIDIA Shield TV Pro | 4K/60 HDR10 ATMOS-best streaming device for image and sound available today!
post #71 of 86 Old 06-20-2019, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I'm all for having the ability to download full sized files with something like the KScape, but for the life of me I'll never understand the enthusiasm people have for paying top dollar to basically rent a product. Its on thing when you have a service like Netflix or Hulu, its a whole other when I'm asked to pay $3000 for a player to have to pay $25-$35 a pop a movie, that I dont physically own.
I wish they would just create a player like the Kaleidescape that you would own the physical media, but you could just download the file as well. Nothing wrong with having both
post #72 of 86 Old 06-20-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
That’s a good question. It’s been awhile since I have had a 103D in my presence. You can always try and see what you get. Keep us posted I am curious.
It sure does work. What a nice surprise. It is nice after all these years to discover a benefit with dated equipment.
Using the Input button (right next to eject button on top row of Oppo remote) to access the "input source menu" is a piece of cake and allows to switch between front and rear HDMI input.
I will finally be able to enjoy "Inception" on ATV with out the black bars

As you said...1.2x seems perfect for eliminating the bars on top and bottom.
Thank you.
bgarcia likes this.

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510, MiniDSP 2x4HD/WI-DG
Oppo 103d, Apple TV 4K, GIK MBT Panels
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, 4 monitor surround 3 v7, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
post #73 of 86 Old 06-20-2019, 10:03 AM

I have an Oppo 205, KScape, and still have an Oppo 103D - but the latter I really have been using only to rip SACDs when I get one (I've ripped a lot of them) for my two and multi-channel ROON audio! HA! At AudiophileStyle forum there's been a thread for years with 3rd party software to use with certain blu ray players to rip SACDs.

post #74 of 86 Old 06-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Over 90% of my viewing and listening is on ripped BDMV, ISO, Flac, files for UHD,3D,BD movies and multi-channel and 2 channel music.
I use a Panasonic 9000 for my in room Disc player (also can use Oppo 103 from whole house system). The 9000 does all types of movies well, very limited beyond UHD, BD and DVD disc’s.
post #75 of 86 Old 09-27-2019, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My Oppo 93 just died. Won't boot. Damn. I used it only for audio from hard drives via USB ports. Can you guys recommend a player that can handle the variety of audio formats via USB (or at least get close) and supports at least two 2 TB hard drives? I will buy a used 203 if I have to, but looking for alternatives first. Thanks.
post #76 of 86 Old 09-27-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtekmk2 View Post
My Oppo 93 just died. Won't boot. Damn. I used it only for audio from hard drives via USB ports. Can you guys recommend a player that can handle the variety of audio formats via USB (or at least get close) and supports at least two 2 TB hard drives? I will buy a used 203 if I have to, but looking for alternatives first. Thanks.
If my Oppo dies , I will be buying Panasonic UB9000
I don’t know off hand if it meets all your specs mentioned above , but you may want to check it .

Last edited by mani; 09-27-2019 at 08:47 PM.
post #77 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 673

Works perfect and the picture looks great with the JVC RS4500 laser projector.

Terry
Bulldogger likes this.
post #78 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post

Works perfect and the picture looks great with the JVC RS4500 laser projector.

Terry
How will you compare it to Oppo
I will have to change my Oppo at some point
post #79 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
How will you compare it to Oppo
I will have to change my Oppo at some point
Mani,

I did have the Panasonic UB820 and once the UB9000 was introduced to the USA market I traded the UB820 for the Newer High-End UB9000.
Keep in mind I have a projector so in my situation I do benefit from the UB9000.

Terry
Craig Peer likes this.
post #80 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Mani,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWLPl95-Ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvWEK0novkY&t=963s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaCX8SaFPtk&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTw_Toh0PzA&t=40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9YOB33Pic&t=735s

I did have the Panasonic UB820 and once the UB9000 was introduced to the USA market I traded the UB820 for the Newer High-End UB9000.
Keep in mind I have a projector so in my situation I do benefit from the UB9000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77rwMAYe9M4&t=381s

Terry
How would you describe the benefits of the Panasonic UB9000 vs the UB820?

post #81 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Here is what I think on that from a layman's point of view.
If a person owned a newer Flat-Screen with certainly the really "BRIGHT" picture then the UB820 would do just fine IMO.

However if you happen to have a dedicated Custom-Home-Theater that is actually as dark as a Cave ???
And you are using a projector like I am.
Then the added benefits of the UB9000 come into play !!!
See pictures below of my Set-Up with the UB9000.

This the 350-Nits setting for a projector that the UB820 does not have.

There is IMO No-Way to be disappointed with the UB9000 if one has the monies for it.

If I had the exact same decision to make again it would be 100% for the Panasonic UB9000 !!!

Terry
post #82 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Here is what I think on that from a layman's point of view.
If a person owned a newer Flat-Screen with certainly the really "BRIGHT" picture then the UB820 would do just fine IMO.

However if you happen to have a dedicated Custom-Home-Theater that is actually as dark as a Cave ???
And you are using a projector like I am.
Then the added benefits of the UB9000 come into play !!!
See pictures below of my Set-Up with the UB9000.

This the 350-Nits setting for a projector that the UB820 does not have.

There is IMO No-Way to be disappointed with the UB9000 if one has the monies for it.

If I had the exact same decision to make again it would be 100% for the Panasonic UB9000 !!!

Terry
I thought HDR tweaking available was same in 820 and 9000. From what I gathered 9000 was much better build quality and more audiophile directed ?
post #83 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
I thought HDR tweaking available was same in 820 and 9000. From what I gathered 9000 was much better build quality and more audiophile directed ?
Yes,

The overall Build-Quality of the UB9000 is way-way-way over the much-much Less-Expensive "Super-Light-Weigh" UB820.

The audio section is Far-Superior on the UB9000, fact, not an opinion.

And as I posted if the end-user is using a projector there really is no choice for the very-best-picture the UB9000.

There is nothing at all wrong with the UB820 and I had that one for something like, maybe, 9-months.
Waiting for the UB9000 to be available to the US market.
In my case I try to keep up on products I actually use in my H/T.
So I was well aware of the Panasonic UB9000 but there was No-Way to purchase it at that time.
I kept a close-eye on the Best Buy local internet site and finally there was the UB9000 actually available.
I contacted my buddy at local Best Buy that is the G/M of the store.
He already knew and recalled that when I got the UB820 I actually wanted the UB9000.
So, when I contacted him and told him I had intentionally saved all packing material as I received the UB820.
Including the plastic bag for the remote that I never even used, plus originally batteries UN-Used etc.
I repacked it exactly as I had received it and he (Ben) let me return it for Full-Credit.
I used that full credit against the actual cost difference on the UB9000.

Seriously, there is No-Way to really compare the 2-units if you see both in person.

Repacked the UB820 .........

Ben holding it for the return .........

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 10-07-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #84 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Please note that for those of you using a Lumagen as your Video processor, it makes absolutely zero difference when playing a disk through the UB9000 vs the 820.

Speakers: L/C/R: Ascend Sierra Towers (Raal) / Ascend Horizon (Raal) Subwoofers: 2 x JTR Captivator 2400ULF Surrounds: Revel S16(4) / Atmos: RSL C34e (4)
Video: JVC RS2000, 132.8" SeymourAv 2.40:1 with dual roller masking to 16:9
Other: Anthem AVM60 / DSonic M3a 2800-7 / Crown XLS 1002 (2) / Kaleidescape Strato S, XBOX One X, ATV4k, UB9000
post #85 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
Please note that for those of you using a Lumagen as your Video processor, it makes absolutely zero difference when playing a disk through the UB9000 vs the 820.
That’s exactly what I was trying to ask
post #86 of 86 Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 PM

For my basement system I ordered the UB820 - audio is not crucial down there, only a 5.1 system with a receiver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page