AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/)
-   -   Now that OPPO is gone, what will you use for your disc player? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/2971190-now-oppo-gone-what-will-you-use-your-disc-player.html)

Kain 04-13-2018 12:01 PM

Now that OPPO is gone, what will you use for your disc player?
 

Craig Peer 04-13-2018 01:42 PM

A Panasonic maybe ? There still are Oppo 203's available, and my Panasonic UB900 has been stellar. I think the new Panasonic 4K players will be great too.

willieconway 04-13-2018 01:46 PM

I bought a Sony UBP-X800 last week to try out UHD (using HDR->SDR conversion) and put my 103D in a box in the garage. Unrelated to Oppo's stopping production of course.

The Sony is much better for streaming but I miss the Oppo's screensaver. Also, Sony's remotes are pretty sucky.

Edit: I just now noticed which forum this thread is in. My first and most likely also last post around these parts :)

jkeener71 04-13-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 56030434)

Blu-ray player in my PC, Sony PS4, and Xbox one S

:)

cobr 04-13-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeener71 (Post 56031264)
Blu-ray player in my PC, Sony PS4, and Xbox one S

:)

Always a PS4.

kingwiggi 04-13-2018 03:30 PM

I put my name down for an Oppo 205 if they do a last production run.

So I guess the answer is an Oppo

blazar 04-13-2018 04:47 PM

what is our blu-ray option now with alexa control? anything?

amcfarla 04-13-2018 05:01 PM

I have an Oppo UDP-203 coming on Tuesday. Seeing I could sell my BDP-103 for more than $300 on eBay, decided to pull the trigger on the UDP player.

mani 04-13-2018 05:59 PM

Panasonic UB9000 ( not released yet )

Bulldogger 04-13-2018 11:33 PM

I've used my HTPC for awhile now. Using Jriver Media Center 24 for playback of 4K blu ray.

thebland 04-14-2018 06:15 AM

Hmm... Not sure why I need an Oppo now... I've been out of it since I sold all my equipment. What does it have relative to others?

The Bogg 04-14-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mani (Post 56032114)
Panasonic UB9000 ( not released yet )

I hope it comes to North America - I would buy one now that Oppo gone.

Oppo had great customer service and frequent updates, not sure about Panny or any other company...

orpyak 04-14-2018 08:52 AM

I just bought a second UDP-203 for music playback in another room since I have listen to a lot of digital content on CD/SACD and blu-ray audio. I would consider a Cambridge as a replacement since I don't use the analog outputs of the Oppo.

The weird thing is that I was able to buy a UDP-203 for $439 + $18 shipping and handling from their website. It may have been a pricing fluke as I could not find the same deal after I initially placed the order. I wanted to share the deal but was unable to.

Craig Peer 04-14-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bogg (Post 56034078)
I hope it comes to North America - I would buy one now that Oppo gone.

Oppo had great customer service and frequent updates, not sure about Panny or any other company...

Panasonic has updated the UB900 firmware since I bought it at least twice. It's been trouble free and has great features and a great picture. Arguably it was better than the Oppo 203 when the Oppo first came out. I have both, and there are things I like better about each of them.

The Bogg 04-14-2018 09:00 AM

Only thing about the UB900 was the dropdown panel - I prefer the slideout drawer for a couple of reasons. I use IR extenders and wasn't sure how they'd work with the dropdown panel. Plus I like the look of a drawer better, lol. Oppo had a rear IR sensor but for some reason only the Sony X1000 has a "socket" that an IR extender could be plugged into (using the appropriate cable). I hope the new Panny has the socket!

Craig Peer 04-14-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bogg (Post 56034172)
Only thing about the UB900 was the dropdown panel - I prefer the slideout drawer for a couple of reasons. I use IR extenders and wasn't sure how they'd work with the dropdown panel. Plus I like the look of a drawer better, lol. Oppo had a rear IR sensor but for some reason only the Sony X1000 has a "socket" that an IR extender could be plugged into (using the appropriate cable). I hope the new Panny has the socket!

I use an IR extender too. It works fine in an equipment rack. The panel just stays down ( no need to close it ). Anyway, it's all about the picture quality.

Mike Garrett 04-14-2018 10:18 AM

I plan on using my Oppo 203 for a long time. i figure by the time it needs to be replaced, there will be other good options.

Art Sonneborn 04-15-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Peer (Post 56034466)
I use an IR extender too. It works fine in an equipment rack. The panel just stays down ( no need to close it ). Anyway, it's all about the picture quality.


I just opened it up. Near the front you will find the IR receiver tape the IR transmitter head to it then run the line out the back of the unit through one of the vent holes. I tried to add it to the front but it never looked very good to me.


Art

Bulldogger 04-15-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebland (Post 56033526)
Hmm... Not sure why I need an Oppo now... I've been out of it since I sold all my equipment. What does it have relative to others?

I have never owned one but recommend them to friends. You likely wouldn't need one either but they do offer benefits to some. For example the 205 has a special USB driver and can be used as a USB dac. I think Roon calls it an endpoint. I set up a buddy that selects it as the audio device in Jriver. I don't think 203 can do this. Also, both models have a HDMI input which allows for processing of external HDMI sources. One buddy uses it with his cable box on an older Sony LCD television and there is substantial picture improvement. Also I believe the 205 is capable of decoding MQA.

As stereo source for someone using an analog preamp, the performance is very good. The 205 is an improvement over the 105. I'm going "audiophile" here on ya:). The sound from the 205 is more balanced from top to bottom in a buddy's system who owns both. There is more clarity as well with greater delineation of instruments. This friend once played acoustic guitar professionally and notes this as the biggest improvement.

For someone looking to have true high-end sound for the highest price to performance ratio, the 205 and perhaps one of the ATI hypex based amps is a great start. Add Jriver, a lap top, and some speaker and you're all set for great audio that will not break the bank.

thebland 04-15-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogger (Post 56038632)
I have never owned one but recommend them to friends. You likely wouldn't need one either but they do offer benefits to some. For example the 205 has a special USB driver and can be used as a USB dac. I think Roon calls it an endpoint. I set up a buddy that selects it as the audio device in Jriver. I don't think 203 can do this. Also, both models have a HDMI input which allows for processing of external HDMI sources. One buddy uses it with his cable box on an older Sony LCD television and there is substantial picture improvement. Also I believe the 205 is capable of decoding MQA.

As stereo source for someone using an analog preamp, the performance is very good. The 205 is an improvement over the 105. I'm going "audiophile" here on ya:). The sound from the 205 is more balanced from top to bottom in a buddy's system who owns both. There is more clarity as well with greater delineation of instruments. This friend once played acoustic guitar professionally and notes this as the biggest improvement.

For someone looking to have true high-end sound for the highest price to performance ratio, the 205 and perhaps one of the ATI hypex based amps is a great start. Add Jriver, a lap top, and some speaker and you're all set for great audio that will not break the bank.

Thanks. As my room will solely be HT, I just can't think of a feature I needed except that the Oppo could move subtitles around if needed for various films where they spilled into the black bars... Do most other players do this?

Any other Oppo unique features that are not duplicated in other players that you'd want for HT?

Debating on whether to pick one up.

Thanks

Bulldogger 04-15-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebland (Post 56038706)
..,except that the Oppo could move subtitles around if needed for various films where they spilled into the black bars... Do most other players do this?

I don't believe that's a common feature. I saw one guy asking in a Panasonic player thread but couldn't see where he had success. I don't think you could lose by picking up an Oppo if it has all the features you need. I've spoken with tech support a few times and emailed them a few times as well. Their support is excellent.

Craig Peer 04-15-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn (Post 56037890)
I just opened it up. Near the front you will find the IR receiver tape the IR transmitter head to it then run the line out the back of the unit through one of the vent holes. I tried to add it to the front but it never looked very good to me.


Art

That's a good idea !

thebland 04-15-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogger (Post 56039052)
I don't believe that's a common feature. I saw one guy asking in a Panasonic player thread but couldn't see where he had success. I don't think you could lose by picking up an Oppo if it has all the features you need. I've spoken with tech support a few times and emailed them a few times as well. Their support is excellent.

I get it. Just with them stopping production and perhaps, customer service at some point, I wondered if it would be a good move if other players were 'as good'.

Don't need the player for 6-8 months but thought of buying a new one while supplies last if nothing else was its equal.

Thanks

Steve Bruzonsky 04-15-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebland (Post 56038706)
Thanks. As my room will solely be HT, I just can't think of a feature I needed except that the Oppo could move subtitles around if needed for various films where they spilled into the black bars... Do most other players do this?

Any other Oppo unique features that are not duplicated in other players that you'd want for HT?

Debating on whether to pick one up.

Thanks

My Oppo 205 not only moves subtitles, but moves the disc "Info" as well for my 2.40 aspect ratio screen. NICE!

Steve Bruzonsky 04-15-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebland (Post 56039232)
I get it. Just with them stopping production and perhaps, customer service at some point, I wondered if it would be a good move if other players were 'as good'.

Don't need the player for 6-8 months but thought of buying a new one while supplies last if nothing else was its equal.

Thanks

The new Panasonic top line 4k blu ray I believe will not only do Dolby Vision, but the upcoming HDR10+. I hope my Oppo 205 will get the HDR10+ upgrade but who knows? The new Panasonic is touted to be built like a tank and audiophile sounding like the Oppo players - we will see!

eljaycanuck 04-15-2018 11:44 AM

OPPO BDP-83
Sony BDP-S6200
Sony BDP-S3700

Mike Garrett 04-15-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebland (Post 56038706)
Thanks. As my room will solely be HT, I just can't think of a feature I needed except that the Oppo could move subtitles around if needed for various films where they spilled into the black bars... Do most other players do this?

Any other Oppo unique features that are not duplicated in other players that you'd want for HT?

Debating on whether to pick one up.

Thanks

Oppo can do vertical stretch, including 4K @60p .

Mike Garrett 04-15-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky (Post 56039472)
The new Panasonic top line 4k blu ray I believe will not only do Dolby Vision, but the upcoming HDR10+. I hope my Oppo 205 will get the HDR10+ upgrade but who knows? The new Panasonic is touted to be built like a tank and audiophile sounding like the Oppo players - we will see!

Oppo said, if the units have the processing power, then they will get HDR10+ firmware update. But right now, do not know if they have the processing power.

thebland 04-15-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Garrett (Post 56040676)
Oppo can do vertical stretch, including 4K @60p .

Good to know.

So no other player does such?

Mike Garrett 04-15-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebland (Post 56040782)
Good to know.

So no other player does such?

Nope, you would have to step up to a Lumagen.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.