SONY VPL-VW870ES VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector | Anticipation Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1300Likes

post #61 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 476 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6819 Post(s)
Liked: 6445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Nice!

Didn't you measure circa 500,000:1 ON/OFF with the dynamic iris with your setup? I thought I read you posting something along those lines fairly recently...
Probably, I dont trust my meter measurements for the DI as much as I do for native, since to measure dynamic the meter has to be almost touching the damn lens!

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Probably, I dont trust my meter measurements for the DI as much as I do for native, since to measure dynamic the meter has to be almost touching the damn lens!
What meter do you use Javs?
post #63 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
What meter do you use Javs?
A lux meter.

I measure contrast in lux not from a colorimeter.

My idisplay3 seems to agree with my lux meter when measuring native. But for dynamic its going to hit the limits of what the meter can read.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 292
@ARROW-AV
Marcmon1 wondered how the "blacks" of the VW760 and the anticipated new laser beamer compared to the VW675. I understood this as a rough qualitative question, not necessarily a quantitive. So I linked that video including a qualitative statement of a guy who is selling and demontrating both of them. So I guess he knows both beamers very well. And since those beamers are all calibrated and set up by the same person (Ekki Schmitt) he could give you also some contrast figures: those of Ekki Schmitt. However this was not the question.
P.S. I do not judge projectors by just looking at pictures or videos. Particularly not HDR pictures. And if you are asking for providing some measurements of my own: I did in the past and found them to be consistent with both measuremets of Lars Mette and Ekki Schmitt. However since you did not accept Ekki's number that I gave the other day I do not see any point of providing any further quantitative data here.

Last edited by *Mori*; 08-14-2018 at 05:10 AM.
post #65 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
A lux meter.

I measure contrast in lux not from a colorimeter.

My idisplay3 seems to agree with my lux meter when measuring native. But for dynamic its going to hit the limits of what the meter can read.
Sorry, I had assumed it was a lux meter, I meant which specific meter as I’m after one myself.
post #66 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mori* View Post
@ARROW-AV
Marcmon1 wondered how the "blacks" of the VW760 and the anticipated new laser beamer compared to the VW675. I understood this as a rough qualitative question, not necessarily a quantitive. So I linked that video including a qualitative statement of a guy who is selling and demontrating both of them. So I guess he knows both beamers very well. And since those beamers are all calibrated and set up by the same person (Ekki Schmitt) he could give you also some contrast figures: those of Ekki Schmitt. However this was not the question.
P.S. I do not judge projectors by just looking at pictures or videos. Particularly not HDR pictures. And if you are asking for providing some measurements of my own: I did in the past and found them to be consistent with both measuremets of Lars Mette and Ekki Schmitt. However since you did not accept Ekki's number that I gave the other day I do not see any point of providing any further quantitative data here.
With respect, I asked you to provide the full details with respect to how that number was measured and what were the respective parameters and settings; which you subsequently did not provide

I suspect that you will find that it does not correspond to the peak ON/OFF contrast with the projector properly and fully accurately calibrated including with respect to the white balance being calibrated to D65. Ekki often reports figures that correspond to something other than this, such as for example where he has reported the peak luminance as being circa 2,100 lumens when in fact with D65 it is circa 1,650. Therefore, I suspect that it's a case of apples with oranges and not figures that are representative of actual performance with respect to when the projector is accurately calibrated including the white balance to D65 white point.

The fact of the matter is that I know of at least 6 AV professional who have all independantly reached similar conclusions regarding what is the actual native ON/OFF and peak dynamic ON/OFF contrast performance. These all relate to the projector being calibrated to D65 and the figures are circa 15,000:1 native ON/OFF and circa peak 23,000:1 ON/OFF respectively.

If you believe that you are able to measure 70,000:1 ON/OFF contrast performance with the SONY 885/760ES then please say so, because I will jump on a plane and fly to pay you a visit, wherein I would like for you to show me.

Alternatively, I would like to invite you to visit me here and I would like to see you measure 70,000:1 ON/OFF contrast performance with respect to my SONY 885/760ES. I'll reset it to the factory settings and you can calibrate it and set it up however you like. I live only a circa 20 minute drive from both London Heathrow and Luton International airports and I will even offer to pay for your flight and chauffeur you to and from the airport.

Either way, if you can successfully measure 70,000:1 ON/OFF contrast in this regard, then I will give you £1,000 GBP in cash right there and then. I bet that you won't be able to do so. Will you take that bet?

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 08-14-2018 at 06:23 AM.
post #67 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

post #68 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I had assumed it was a lux meter, I meant which specific meter as I’m after one myself.
Nothing super special it's a local one to our electronics chain here called Jaycar.

I'm keeping an eye out for something like a Minolta t10 second hand.

-
post #69 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 464 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 3042
@ARROW-AV , any news about your special secret projector?
post #70 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
@ARROW-AV , any news about your special secret projector?
I am due to visit the manufacturer's factory as part of my final due dilligence. There has been a final tweak to the hardware, which was not implemented with respect to the particular pre-production prototype unit that I had been evaluating, so I need to see this and retake my measurements with respect to that. The intention is to have the projector on demo at the primary AV shows, however for a variety of reasons, including because of this, unfortunately it was not possible to organize for the finished projector to be demoed at IFA or CEDIA 2018. Hopefully it will be at CES 2019 in January and/or ISE 2019 in February. My review is scheduled to be published shortly after CEDIA
post #71 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 464 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 3042
Quote:
I am due to visit the manufacturer's factory as part of my final due dilligence. There has been a final tweak to the hardware, which was not implemented with respect to the particular pre-production prototype unit that I had been evaluating, so I need to see this and retake my measurements with respect to that. The intention is to have the projector on demo at the primary AV shows, however for a variety of reasons, including because of this, unfortunately it was not possible to organize for the finished projector to be demoed at IFA or CEDIA 2018. Hopefully it will be at CES 2019 in January and/or ISE 2019 in February. My review is scheduled to be published shortly after CEDIA
Ok, thanks for the update!
post #72 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 292
@ARROW-AV
Thank you for your offer. What we disagree is not the native contrast (on /off ) but what the dynamic dimming does. You say that it does very little (about 30%, right ?) and I say it is far more than that (rather 300%). It is clear to me that this discrepancy is mainly due to the methodology applied (how to measure that figure) and potentially to some degree about the proper equipment.
In order to quantify this properly you must prevent the laser from going off. In order to do that you must provide basically a black picture with just a tiny white square. Then you measure the black part with dynamic dimming on or off, respetively. To do that reliably you need a sensitive and suitable meter which is ideally in a tube so that you measure no light coming from the white area.
post #73 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@ARROW-AV
Thank you for your offer. What we disagree is not the native contrast (on /off ) but what the dynamic dimming does. You say that it does very little (about 30%, right ?) and I say it is far more than that (rather 300%). It is clear to me that this discrepancy is mainly due to the methodology applied (how to measure that figure) and potentially to some degree about the proper equipment.
In order to quantify this properly you must prevent the laser from going off. In order to do that you must provide basically a black picture with just a tiny white square. Then you measure the black part with dynamic dimming on or off, respetively. To do that reliably you need a sensitive and suitable meter which is ideally in a tube so that you measure no light coming from the white area.
Would a 3840 x 2160 still black image with a single partially lit pixel in one corner not be enough to use for the black level measurement, or does the dimming algo still black out the image if only one pixel is lit?
post #74 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
@ARROW-AV
That's NOT how you accurately measure the peak ON/OFF contrast. You should be using a test pattern that comprises a singular white pixel in one of the corners against full field black. This prevents light engine shutoff. NOT a "white square". That's what I (and other AV professionals who know what they are doing) use. You can typically simply blank/mask off the singular white pixel such that it does not contaminate the measurements or prevent the ability to accurately measure what is the luminance of the black. You are creating a problem that should not exist, and by as a result of this making use of a "tube" there exists the potential for inaccuracy due to failing to capture 100% of what is the luminance of the black. So you are very likely ending up with an inaccurate black level reading as a result, hence the discrepancy as compared with everyone else who is going about things in the correct manner.

I use the most accurate method.

All of my measurements are taken within a fully 100% blacked out laboratory environment.

The equipment that I use includes:

• Konica Minolta T-10A Illuminance Meter

• Colorimetry Research CR-300 0.8nm Optical Resolution Spectroradiometer

• Klein K10-A Tristimulus Colorimeter

These are amongst the most accurate meters in the world.

All meters are sent back to the respective factories to be recalibrated annually and certified accordingly.

In short, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my measuring methods, nor my equipment. But thank you for the implication. Somewhat ironic when it's clearly the other way around...

The peak ON/OFF contrast performance with dynamic dimming set to FULL and with the projector properly and accurately calibrated including the white balance to D65 white point measures peak circa 23,000:1

I am by no means only person reporting such measurements. I know of at least 5 other AV professionals who concur, including @Kris Deering who is a very well respected AV professional reviewer for the likes of Sound & Vision magazine.

So, you claim to be measuring 60,000 - 70,000:1 ON/OFF contrast are you? My challenge stands. So, am I flying to visit you or are you coming to visit me. Either way I will have the £1,000 cash ready and waiting

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 08-15-2018 at 02:26 AM.
post #75 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Would a 3840 x 2160 still black image with a single partially lit pixel in one corner not be enough to use for the black level measurement, or does the dimming algo still black out the image if only one pixel is lit?
That's precisely what I (and other AV professionals who know what they are doing) use. Where, no it does not trigger the light engine to shut-off

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 08-14-2018 at 09:20 AM.
post #76 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, you claim to be measuring 60,000 - 70,000:1 ON/OFF contrast are you? My challenge stands. So, am I flying to visit you or are you coming to visit me. Either way I will have the £1,000 cash ready and waiting

ARROW-AV likes this.
post #77 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I find it odd how people call this a 'half baked product' when in the 885 owners thread you cant even slightly mention something along these lines without everyone getting all up in arms over it and pointing out how the blacks are "super deep black". Personally, I think the 885ES is probably a good projector. I wish I had one for gaming. I didn't buy it and got the 675ES because I wanted better blacks and heard that the dynamic dimming just didn't do a good enough job. Still, people seem pretty happy with the projector. If you go into the owners thread, everyone there is ecstatic and has no complaints.
The more important question is why does the same 4 or 5 posters feel it is necessary to constantly go into the 885es' owners thread and tell owners that there is something bad about the 885es?

Everyone has a different criteria for what is most important as far as image quality. Not everyone spends all their time watching star fields, if they do then they need to buy an OLED.

The fact is, depending on what you are watching, the blacks on an 885es are "super deep black". I watched "Murder on the Orient Express" this weekend on a VW885es (16,000:1) and on a RS4500 (8,400:1) and at no time did I think that there was any issue with the blacks. Simply jaw dropping image quality in both cases!
joerod and roxiedog13 like this.
post #78 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Although I agree just about completely with the measurements posted by @ARROW-AV (we use just about the same gear as he does by the way, just add a PR670 to that, and our THX / ISF certified calibrator have measured out all these projectors to just about the same level as indicated... ), I have been surprised lately as to what even quite "low" contrast in combination with laser modulation is able to do with image quality overall. The VW5000 has impressed me in particular due to the combination of that extreme "Sony sharpness" (yes, I know, it´s probably a bit sharper than it "should be" due to RC, but as long as it works it works, right??) and it´s immense light output, also the Z1 / RS4500 is certainly quite impressive as well. I also liked the Sony VW760, very nice unit for smaller screen setups for sure!

However, certain scenes and movies still "falls through" on the above mentioned units, but luckily there are very few that is made out to require such extreme contrast values to be enjoyable. Most movie production studios are actually somewhat aware of the limitation in pitch black detailing at commercial cinemas and tend to somewhat take that into account using lighting / contrast / gamma or whatever to compensate.

So, although I remember I was extremely disappointed when we measured out the 8000:1 native on the Z1 (which is fully capable of reaching far higher levels after tweaking...), I was also surprised that it actually measured out as it did given how much I actually enjoy the images it produces.

That being said, it is CERTAINLY a limit as to what is absolutely required in native contrast to produce acceptable details and dynamics even using laser as the light source, and the XPR DLP based <1000:1 based units are not even close to that requirement.....

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002

Last edited by Lygren; 08-14-2018 at 08:38 AM.
post #79 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
Although I agree just about completely with the measurements posted by @ARROW-AV (we use just about the same gear as he does by the way, just add a PR670 to that, and our THX / ISF certified calibrator have measured out all these projectors to just about the same level as indicated... )
UPDATED:
Quote:
I am by no means only person reporting such measurements. I know of at least 6 other AV professionals who concur...

Looking forward to seeing you again at CEDIA sir! Are you doing IFA as well? It will be good to catch up
phara likes this.
post #80 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6706 Post(s)
Liked: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post
The more important question is why does the same 4 or 5 posters feel it is necessary to constantly go into the 885es' owners thread and tell owners that there is something bad about the 885es?

Everyone has a different criteria for what is most important as far as image quality. Not everyone spends all their time watching star fields, if they do then they need to buy an OLED.

The fact is, depending on what you are watching, the blacks on an 885es are "super deep black". I watched "Murder on the Orient Express" this weekend on a VW885es (16,000:1) and on a RS4500 (8,400:1) and at no time did I think that there was any issue with the blacks. Simply jaw dropping image quality in both cases!
I think that the measurements being posted that are all over the place drive a lot of folks crazy. I'll agree the the actual picture thrown by these projectors is amazing. But these days, anyone can post just about anything they want on the internet. Especially here. Maybe the AVS ( " Audio Video Science " ) forum should change it's name to AVR ( Audio Video Rumor ) forum.
tigerhonaker and Eventidal like this.
post #81 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I think that the measurements being posted that are all over the place drive a lot of folks crazy. I'll agree the the actual picture thrown by these projectors is amazing. But these days, anyone can post just about anything they want on the internet. Especially here. Maybe the AVS ( " Audio Video Science " ) forum should change it's name to AVR ( Audio Video Rumor ) forum.
Not sure what you mean by drive a lot of folks crazy?

The VW885es was setup and calibrated at a new visualization startup founded by former employees of the post-production startup we sold a few years ago:

16,000:1 sequential on/off, 1,800 lumens, 390:1 ANSI CR.

The RS4500 is the personal projector of my former chief engineer of said post-prod startup. He is still in post production and has been a DP on several independent films. The RS4500 replaced his former VW1100es which is why I was keen to see it.

iris fully open: 8,400:1 sequential on/off, 2,500 lumens, 290:1 ANSI CR.
iris fully closed 27,000:1 sequential on/off, 575 lumens, 210:1 ANSI CR.

We watched iris fully open on his 12' wide scope ST100 at slightly over 30fTL in his black velvet bat cave theater.

Absolutely phenomenal images, especially given that we were able to previously see sections of the same movie at the studio on a DCI Christie and the Sony BVM 300 OLED Master.
roxiedog13 likes this.
post #82 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
UPDATED:

Looking forward to seeing you again at CEDIA sir! Are you doing IFA as well? It will be good to catch up
My stamina is only good for one of those shows when actually having to rig all that heavy gear, so this year it´ll be CEDIA only... LOVE Berlin & IFA this time a year though, and I attended IFA like 10 years in a row prior to CEDIA the last three, but hopefully I´ll be able to take some time off to at least have a quick look at those new Sony and JVC wonderboys. Look forward to meeting you again for sure!!
ARROW-AV likes this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
post #83 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6706 Post(s)
Liked: 7830
Quote:

The VW885es was setup and calibrated at a new visualization startup founded by former employees of the post-production startup we sold a few years ago:

16,000:1 sequential on/off, 1,800 lumens, 390:1 ANSI CR.

The RS4500 is the personal projector of my former chief engineer of said post-prod startup. He is still in post production and has been a DP on several independent films. The RS4500 replaced his former VW1100es which is why I was keen to see it.

iris fully open: 8,400:1 sequential on/off, 2,500 lumens, 290:1 ANSI CR.
iris fully closed 27,000:1 sequential on/off, 575 lumens, 210:1 ANSI CR.

We watched iris fully open on his 12' wide scope ST100 at slightly over 30fTL in his black velvet bat cave theater.

Absolutely phenomenal images, especially given that we were able to previously see sections of the same movie at the studio on a DCI Christie and the Sony BVM 300 OLED Master.
I wasn't referring to you or anything you've necessarily posted. There are too many people posting contrast and other numbers outside the norm of many respected reviewers / calibrators. That's always been the case though. The problem is there are too many variables, not everyone is using the same equipment, and there isn't a National Bureau of Standards measuring projectors. Add to that manufacturers can post just about any numbers they want for lumens and contrast. Nothing new really.
post #84 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't referring to you or anything you've necessarily posted. There are too many people posting contrast and other numbers outside the norm of many respected reviewers / calibrators...
For example, the peak ON/OFF contrast performance of the SONY 885/760ES has been confirmed as being circa 23,000:1 by many professional reviewers and calibrators... and yet there are instances of 'measurements' being repeatedly posted that are (and I quote): "330,000:1" and "70,000:1"... I think that this is the sort of thing that @Craig Peer is referring to
Craig Peer, phara and Lygren like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 08-15-2018 at 01:45 AM.
post #85 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 141
And this is why I was asking over in the owner's thread what the actual measured black level and white levels were in nits. I am using some of the same equipment you are and my NIST certificate is up to date as well. The VERY large contrast numbers you quote make no sense to me at all but then again neither does 23K:1 unless a gain screen is being used. The best I have ever gotten was around 15K+ : 1 on a screen of 0.95 - 1.0 or so.

Quote:
For example, the peak ON/OFF contrast performance of the SONY 885/760ES has been confirmed as being circa 23,000:1 by many professional reviewers and calibrators... and yet there are instances of 'measurements' being posted that are (and I quote): "330,000:1" and "70,000:1"... I think that this is the sort of thing that @Craig Peer is referring to
markmon1 and ARROW-AV like this.
post #86 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 11991 Post(s)
Liked: 9504
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
And this is why I was asking over in the owner's thread what the actual measured black level and white levels were in nits. I am using some of the same equipment you are and my NIST certificate is up to date as well. The VERY large contrast numbers you quote make no sense to me at all but then again neither does 23K:1 unless a gain screen is being used. The best I have ever gotten was around 15K+ : 1 on a screen of 0.95 - 1.0 or so.
The 23,000:1 was with the dynamic dimming system in use, but a single white pixel lit up, to keep the laser from completely shutting off. A negative or positive gain screen does not make a real change to the contrast spec. It basically stays the same. That is because while the white level increases with gain, the black level also increases.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #87 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The 23,000:1 was with the dynamic dimming system in use, but a single white pixel lit up, to keep the laser from completely shutting off. A negative or positive gain screen does not make a real change to the contrast spec. It basically stays the same. That is because while the white level increases with gain, the black level also increases.
Absolutely correct Mike

And just to add to what you say here and to elaborate...

23,000:1 is peak ON/OFF contrast with the dynamic dimming set to FULL but without the laser light engine shut-off being triggered. For this you will need to use a test pattern comprising full field black 16 with a singular white pixel in one of the corners. You can then simply blank/mask off the singular white pixel such that it does not contaminate the measurements or prevent the ability to accurately measure what is the luminance of the black.

Peak native ON/OFF contrast is circa 15,000 - 17,000:1.

However, it should be noted that the SONY 885/760ES is very prone to significantly losing contrast as a consequence of calibration, so when calibrating you need to be careful of this. Furthermore, the only way I have achieved such high figures is by making use of and changes via the service menu whilst setting up and calibrating the projector. The same applies to peak luminance.

In order to accurately measure ON/OFF contrast ratio you don't want to be measuring the black level off the screen (alone) due to the accuracy being too low, irrespective of what is the equipment used. The best way is to measure both the white level and black level off the lens. This also factors the screen out of the equation and gives you the true, accurate ON/OFF contrast performance of the projector.

What I then do is to cross-check and verify by measuring the white level and black level off the screen; wherein I use a Stewart Filmscreen Reference D65 1.0 gain screen (SnoMatte 100).

You can then also calculate the precise accurate on screen black level by taking the off-screen white level measurement, which will be accurate due the the high luminance and then use the accurate ON/OFF contrast ratio calculated via the off the lens measurements to calculate what is the accurate on screen black level, which can then be verified by measuring it off the screen

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 08-14-2018 at 12:27 PM.
post #88 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
If it sits below the 5000ES but has the same lens, then what could possibly be worse than the 5000ES? Just slightly lower lumens? But the dual laser engine sounds like it might allow full DCI-P3 coverage without light loss. So won't Sony have to update the 5000ES with a dual laser engine, as well, otherwise who's going to buy a 5000ES?
It would be very similar and even better in several parameters than the VW5000ES so I think it is highly improbable that Sony will release such a projector.

Another argument against releasing a projector with that kind of specs is that at least for previous 4k models Sony always introduced new technologies from the top of the range and then worked their way to the lower priced models so a dual laser in a projector that is positioned below the 5000 is also highly improbable because of that.
post #89 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 01:36 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post
It would be very similar and even better in several parameters than the VW5000ES so I think it is highly improbable that Sony will release such a projector.

Another argument against releasing a projector with that kind of specs is that at least for previous 4k models Sony always introduced new technologies from the top of the range and then worked their way to the lower priced models so a dual laser in a projector that is positioned below the 5000 is also highly improbable because of that.
I have been thinking exactly the same thing, Sony tech always trickles down. The little brother would very possibly outperform the big brother. Unless of course they released a replacement for the 5000ES at the same time. One projector above the 5000 one projector below the 5000, both with new technology.

Last edited by LJG; 08-14-2018 at 02:00 PM.
post #90 of 1466 Old 08-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 141
This more detailed explanation is helpful as my readings now make sense in the context of the numbers thrown out (I was taking readings w/o Laser Light DD). I have also observed that adjusting gamma thru Sony PCP is a very difficult process as the controls/points become highly interactive low against high and vice versa; one of the reasons I moved to a LUT box and just left the projector's gamma curve (2.6) un-adjusted. This is one of the areas I hope they address going forward.

Quote:

23,000:1 is peak ON/OFF contrast with the dynamic dimming set to FULL but without the laser light engine shut-off being triggered. For this you will need to use a test pattern comprising full field black 16 with a singular white pixel in one of the corners. You can then simply blank/mask off the singular white pixel such that it does not contaminate the measurements or prevent the ability to accurately measure what is the luminance of the black.

Peak native ON/OFF contrast is circa 15,000 - 17,000:1.

However, it should be noted that the SONY 885/760ES is very prone to significantly losing contrast as a consequence of calibration, so when calibrating you need to be careful of this. Furthermore, the only way I have achieved such high figures is by making use of and changes via the service menu whilst setting up and calibrating the projector. The same applies to peak luminance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
870 , laser , projector , Sony , vw870es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page