Alcons Audio Official Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #91 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Agree

Only other thing I would say from my experience is that difference between CRMS Mk II that runs as two way active monitor and the CRMS SRIW ( not compact series ) is not subtle from what I can hear . I wish they had options to run all their speaker as active monitors with digital active crossovers in the amps . It’s almost after 10 years I have bought passive speakers . I used genelecs few years ago and then Seaton’s for last many years . There is something about active monitors , whether it is digital active crossover or better dynamics because of efficiency , I can’t pinpoint .

Sure, I completely agree that passive filtering normally, and to some extent also for Alcons, would reduce the quality of the x-over, and with audio there is also a highly subjective factor involved. Still, considering the amount of money saved on using less amplifier stages, I really like their CRMS LCR compacts, but money not being an object I’d certainly run with the big brother CRMS’s as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
Quote:
Agree

Only other thing I would say from my experience is that difference between CRMS Mk II that runs as two way active monitor and the CRMS SRIW ( not compact series ) is not subtle from what I can hear . I wish they had options to run all their speaker as active monitors with digital active crossovers in the amps . It’️s almost after 10 years I have bought passive speakers . I used genelecs few years ago and then Seaton’️s for last many years . There is something about active monitors , whether it is digital active crossover or better dynamics because of efficiency , I can’️t pinpoint .

Sure, I completely agree that passive filtering normally, and to some extent also for Alcons, would reduce the quality of the x-over, and with audio there is also a highly subjective factor involved. Still, considering the amount of money saved on using less amplifier stages, I really like their CRMS LCR compacts, but money not being an object I’️d certainly run with the big brother CRMS’️s as well... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Agree
That’s why I decided to go with money not being an object for LCRs only , as 90% of sound is produced by LCR , rest of them are ambiance and immersive effect

[QUOTE=Lygren;58569756][quote=mani;58569638]Agree

Only other thing I would say from my experience is that difference between CRMS Mk II that runs as two way active monitor and the CRMS SRIW ( not compact series ) is not subtle from what I can hear . I wish they had options to run all their speaker as active monitors with digital active crossovers in the amps . It’️s almost after 10 years I have bought passive speakers . I used genelecs few years ago and then Seaton’️s for last many years . There is something about active monitors , whether it is digital active crossover or better dynamics because of efficiency , I can’️t

Agree
That’s why I decided to go with money not being an object for LCRs only , as 90% of sound is produced by LCR , rest of them are ambiance and immersive effect only
Lygren likes this.
post #93 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Agree

Only other thing I would say from my experience is that difference between CRMS Mk II that runs as two way active monitor and the CRMS SRIW ( not compact series ) is not subtle from what I can hear . I wish they had options to run all their speaker as active monitors with digital active crossovers in the amps .
I think there are a couple variables in play in this comparison. The top speaker in CRMS Mk II has identical drivers (4” ribbon and 8” upper bass/midrange) as the CRMS SRIW and CRMS SC. However the top speaker in the CRMS Mk II is in a sealed cabinet and electronically crossed over at about 200Hz. The CRMS SRIW and SC are in ported cabinets and crossed over to a sub typically between 100-70Hz. Also the Mk II and SC can be setup off the nearest wall where the SRIW is typically on or in wall.
Lygren likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 98 Old 09-17-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, compared to the SRIW the full MKII is certainly something quite different in terms of overall performance, both in terms of mid-field output and low-end performance (the MKII rolls of at 30Hz!)... The LCR alternative I was referring to is this one; https://www.alconsaudio.com/product/crmsc/.

That said, it would be interesting to actually test a small(er) room setup using the SRIW as LCR’s too, but right now the cost of each amp stage makes that a bit far fetched... I mean, crossed over at 80, and using the CRMS sub it might actually sound quite impressive too. Alcons are experts in making small form factor sound fantastically good, their new 5» woofer / 2» pro ribbon ‘monitor’ for the pro market being an example. If they get around to releasing an amp featuring more channels I am sure that type of systems might rival a number of alternative ones such as Procella, in-wall Synthesis and so on... I might very well test such a layout in my own theater one day!

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
post #95 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The thread sleep for a while ...

Just love to know alcons CRMS mkll vs the compact in 6m room length and will bi amp both is the sound Q difference will be huge ? and dose the price point between the 2 or big ir slight upper for the mkll ?

make the thread active is a good thing

post #96 of 98 Old 11-01-2019, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
The thread sleep for a while ...

Just love to know alcons CRMS mkll vs the compact in 6m room length and will bi amp both is the sound Q difference will be huge ? and dose the price point between the 2 or big ir slight upper for the mkll ?

make the thread active is a good thing

You would add a bit more punch in the mids and lows with the MKII´s vs. the compacts, and you would also have more SPL to play around with in general, but for a room of 6m in length I would say the CRMSC is more than sufficient. As I have stated before, we use those in our 6,5x4,2m showroom in Norway and they sound amazing. We used to have the CRMS though, and sure, there is a slight difference, so it´s not like that additional amp channel, the larger ribbon and the 15" vs. 12" has no impact, but I would still say that most people would be very pleased with the compacts still...

post #97 of 98 Old 11-01-2019, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
You would add a bit more punch in the mids and lows with the MKII´s vs. the compacts, and you would also have more SPL to play around with in general, but for a room of 6m in length I would say the CRMSC is more than sufficient. As I have stated before, we use those in our 6,5x4,2m showroom in Norway and they sound amazing. We used to have the CRMS though, and sure, there is a slight difference, so it´s not like that additional amp channel, the larger ribbon and the 15" vs. 12" has no impact, but I would still say that most people would be very pleased with the compacts still...

Thank u while I am happy with the triads but I am looking and plan for the final room upgrade regards to speakers vs room acoustic and very love the concept of alcons

Thank u and I hope I can have chance to listen to them one day

post #98 of 98 Old 11-09-2019, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Any info on the crossover frequencies of CRMS mkii and CRMSc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page