Alcons Audio Official Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #121 of 131 Old 02-23-2020, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
But the specs (https://www.alconsaudio.com/wp-conte...ech-spec-1.pdf) say there are 2x RJ45 etherCON (networked audio) connectors provided on the rear. Just trying to understand how future proof the Sentinel3 amp is. Thank you!
Just like Trinnov, the connectors are there for future expandability. The plugin module has not been designed yet in Alcons case.

But the intention is to add this feature in the future.
ece2k2 and ReTrOToo like this.

"I have spoken."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 Old 02-23-2020, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Are there user presets in sentinel? If there are 2 different rooms, only one being used at any given time, is it possible to change presets based on room usage?
post #123 of 131 Old 02-24-2020, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuning View Post
Are there user presets in sentinel? If there are 2 different rooms, only one being used at any given time, is it possible to change presets based on room usage?
The Sentinels are not used for room correction, you would need an external processor such as a Storm or Trinnov unit to do that. The Sentinels, however, uses presets, available for all Alcons speaker models, that normalises the basic frequency response as well as phase / time (using FIR filters).

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 131 Old 02-24-2020, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
The Sentinels are not used for room correction, you would need an external processor such as a Storm or Trinnov unit to do that. The Sentinels, however, uses presets, available for all Alcons speaker models, that normalises the basic frequency response as well as phase / time (using FIR filters).
Thanks for your response. I think I could have phrased my question better. Given below is the scenario I am thinking about.

If I have a theater with 7.1.4 with CRMS speakers, I know there are presets for these on the sentinel. If I have a living room where I want another setup with say 5.1.4 CRMSC speakers. At any given time, only one of the venues will be used.

In this case, is it possible switch between presets so the correct presets are used based on room usage?
post #125 of 131 Old 02-24-2020, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I think I could have phrased my question better. Given below is the scenario I am thinking about.

If I have a theater with 7.1.4 with CRMS speakers, I know there are presets for these on the sentinel. If I have a living room where I want another setup with say 5.1.4 CRMSC speakers. At any given time, only one of the venues will be used.

In this case, is it possible switch between presets so the correct presets are used based on room usage?
Ah, got it... Several reasons why that won´t be possible, some of which are the fact that you will physically connect the CRMS´s differently being bi-amped as opposed to single amped on the CMRSC´s... So, I guess you would just have to keep the speakons for the CRMSC´s laying there ready for connection when needed, manually alter the preset and vice versa when connecting back to the CRMS. Lucky guy btw, Alcons in TWO rooms!!
Tuning likes this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
post #126 of 131 Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Ah, got it... Several reasons why that won´t be possible, some of which are the fact that you will physically connect the CRMS´s differently being bi-amped as opposed to single amped on the CMRSC´s... So, I guess you would just have to keep the speakons for the CRMSC´s laying there ready for connection when needed, manually alter the preset and vice versa when connecting back to the CRMS. Lucky guy btw, Alcons in TWO rooms!!
I think ahead, not getting 2 sets together
Lygren likes this.
post #127 of 131 Old 03-07-2020, 02:30 PM

Has anyone listened to CR3 and CRMS? How does it compare to CRMS?
post #128 of 131 Old 03-09-2020, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

We used CR3´s at CEDIA 2016... Peter was a bit heavy on the volume knob and all that year, but yeah, in general they did sound fantastically good - albeit I really don´t think those beasts are required for even the very very lage home cinema installs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alcons-@-CEDIA-2106-crew.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	2695336  
Tuning and ReTrOToo like this.

post #129 of 131 Old 03-09-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Quote:

We used CR3´s at CEDIA 2016... Peter was a bit heavy on the volume knob and all that year, but yeah, in general they did sound fantastically good - albeit I really don´t think those beasts are required for even the very very lage home cinema installs...
What “one requires “ and what “one can “ shouldn’t be compared on an audiophile forum ...😀.... 🙂
If OP can fit in and afford CR3s , I am sure he will enjoy them 🙂
Tuning and Lygren like this.
post #130 of 131 Old 03-09-2020, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:

I would agree, at CEDIA they overpowered the surrounds and heights. I think you need to be sitting further back and have plenty of surround firepower. They are designed to handle up to 350 seat theaters.
Tuning likes this.
post #131 of 131 Old 03-09-2020, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
What “one requires “ and what “one can “ shouldn’t be compared on an audiophile forum ...😀.... 🙂
If OP can fit in and afford CR3s , I am sure he will enjoy them 🙂
Well, don´t let me be the party pooper for sure; but if I´d go all overboard I would have considered running with a full line-array instead! One of those micro ones might be cool to try out, LR7´s for example: https://www.alconsaudio.com/product/lr7/... They´re even available in 120 degrees horizontal coverage versions, and after having heard the LR24´s in that theatre in Amsterdam I am quite confident those smaller ones might work perfectly in a (large) home cinema setting as well...
audiovideoholic and Tuning like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page