Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #1 of 98 Old 08-22-2018, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Alcons Audio Official Thread

I could not find any official thread on this magnificent brand of audio systems, so I hereby created one!

In short; Alcons Audio is a Dutch manufacturer of high performance audio systems. They are present in several areas of operations such as commercial cinema and touring, but also has a separate line for high-end residential, screening and smaller commercial cinema setups; the CRMS line: https://www.alconsaudio.com/productcategory/crms-serie/. CRMS is short for "Cinema Reference Monitor Systems".

Their patented and very high performing pro-ribbon technology enables a combination of "hi-fi sound at PA levels", which is certainly a very useful feature for a dynamic home cinema system setup.

Next major US appearance is CEDIA 2018, their press-release can be found here:
https://www.alconsaudio.com/the-best...ce-cedia-2018/

Some important features of this particular CEDIA 2018 setup would be;
  • All ceiling speakers use the newly patent pending 90x60 degree waveguide, providing broader overall coverage
  • Full digital AES signaling from source to amplification, featuring a Storm Audio 32 channel AES preamp + Sentinel AES enabled amps / processing units*
  • New 18" high excursion very low frequency response subs will be on display for the first time in the US
  • Their *Sentinel amps / speaker processing systems, features a unique "sensing" system that compensates for long cable runs, maintaining a dampening factor in the excess of 10k
  • Now, for the first time, showcased in a custom built audio room with atypical residential dimensions, booth #SR-12
  • Featuring a Sony VPL-VW5000 4K (native) 5K lumen laser projector and a ScreenAcoustics (DreamScreen) UltraWeave V6 screen system with a MotoMask PRO frame, ensuring "visual excellence which matches the exceptional quality of the Alcons pro-ribbon audio system."
thxman, maikeldepotter and A7mad78 like this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002

Last edited by Lygren; 08-22-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 08-22-2018, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Alcons are the best I've heard by a wide margin. From my perspective they exceed the performance of the rest of the market in two critical aspects, wide full frequency dispersion and incredible dynamics. The 90 degree horizontal dispersion upto 20kHZ yields rock solid amazing imaging that remains fixed even as you walk around from seat to seat. About 4 years ago Peter C and got a private showing at Infocomm just a simple L,C,R setup with the CRMS's (pre MKII). We were listening to 2 channel music that we though was upmixed for the center channel. The L and R were about 16-20 feet apart, the sound stage image remained solid walking back an forth between the L and R, even with the C support I never heard such a stable image with that kind of movement , we even walked up to about 3 feet from the C, no change, then another step forward and the whole center image collapsed, the Center speaker had never been on, we were both floored. The second area is dynamics. The Alcons use a special SIS circuit that senses and adjusts for the speaker cable impedance. This and other design features allows them to produce 15:1 dynamic range (most speakers max out at 4:1). The effect is dramatic, other speakers tend to sound flat and dampened in comparison. When not being driven at Ref+6 (thanks Peter) they sound very musical.

Full disclosure My Alcons order is starting to arrive in September:
L,C,R -3 CRMS mkII
W,S1,S2,SB -8 CRMS-SR
FH,CH,TF,TM,VOG,TB -10 CRMSC-SRHV
thxman and Lygren like this.

Last edited by Lasalle; 08-22-2018 at 04:48 PM.
post #3 of 98 Old 08-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Alcons are the best I've heard by a wide margin. From my perspective they exceed the performance of the rest of the market in two critical aspects, wide full frequency dispersion and incredible dynamics. The 90 degree horizontal dispersion upto 20kHZ yields rock solid amazing imaging that remains fixed even as you walk around from seat to seat. About 4 years ago Peter C and got a private showing at Infocomm just a simple L,C,R setup with the CRMS's (pre MKII). We were listening to 2 channel music that we though was upmixed for the center channel. The L and R were about 16-20 feet apart, the sound stage image remained solid walking back an forth between the L and R, even with the C support I never heard such a stable image with that kind of movement , we even walked up to about 3 feet from the C, no change, then another step forward and the whole center image collapsed, the Center speaker had never been on, we were both floored. The second area is dynamics. The Alcons use a special SIS circuit that senses and adjusts for the speaker cable impedance. This and other design features allows them to produce 15:1 dynamic range (most speakers max out at 4:1). The effect is dramatic, other speakers tend to sound flat and dampened in comparison. When not being driven at Ref+6 (thanks Peter) they sound very musical.

Full disclosure My Alcons order is starting to arrive in September:
L,C,R -3 CRMS mkII
W,S1,S2,SB -8 CRMS-SR
FH,CH,TF,TM,VOG,TB -10 CRMSC-SRHV
U.S distributor or seller?

DES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 Old 08-23-2018, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
U.S distributor or seller?

I´d suggest anyone interested contact the US sales manager, David Rahn:

David Rahn

North American Sales Manager Alcons Audio USA Inc.

Alcons Audio USA Corp.

PO Box 1410

Felton, CA

DIRECT-949-439-5479

OFFICE 949-439-8203

E-mail: [email protected]

I´m sure he can direct you to the appropriate dealer / installer / distributor...
thxman and Lasalle like this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!

Last edited by Lygren; 09-02-2018 at 09:04 AM.
post #5 of 98 Old 08-30-2018, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Info on the new 18" sub revealed. Also a slim version available which is nice.

https://www.alconsaudio.com/product/crms-lfe18/
Lygren likes this.
post #6 of 98 Old 08-31-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 396
For years I've been intrigued by Ribbon tech. Too bad it's not readily available in the DIY community at cheaper prices with the same SPL performance.

For a while now, I've been watching ALCONS and their reviews and upgrades. If I could ever afford them, I think they'd be the first I'd go to for a listening test.

My question is, who else has direct competition?

I know Quested supposedly has ribbons in some of their speakers. But I couldn't find anything really on their website. Or it's not very easy to navigate intuitively.
post #7 of 98 Old 09-01-2018, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

The ribbon tech used by Alcons is currently quite unique from a technical and functional standpoint, and their two main prerequisites enabling them to provide that extreme level of SPL from a planar type of driver is also patented. Thus; at least until someone figures another method of producing high SPL using ribbon tech, Alcons will be the only player providing this specific system. Sure, Quested and others are using ribbons too, but they have nowhere near the capabilities in term of power handling of that of the Alcons pro ribbons. For smaller setups / lower SPL’s, regular ribbons might still do the job though, but the - for all practical reasons - limitless dynamics provided by those Alcons systems is incredibly well suited for medium to large sized HT’s in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 98 Old 09-01-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I had understood that Quested uses ribbons in some of their speakers and an AMT-type of driver in others. Is the AMT driver not similar to what is used in the Alcons?

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #9 of 98 Old 09-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
I had understood that Quested uses ribbons in some of their speakers and an AMT-type of driver in others. Is the AMT driver not similar to what is used in the Alcons?
Not as I understand it. Alcons has a patent on a voicecoil attached to the ribbon that significantly increases its power handling and dynamic range. This combined with their SIS circuit and crossover design (passive and DSP in the Sentinal) gives them a 15:1 dynamic range. I also don't believe the Quested have the same level of full frequency dispersion, especially from 10K-20K.
post #10 of 98 Old 09-01-2018, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I thought the main feature of the Alcons were the directivity control. I think that in most rooms most AMTs and planars will be adequate in terms of SPL capability and power handling. To have more doesn't hurt, though.
post #11 of 98 Old 09-01-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Quote:
Not as I understand it. Alcons has a patent on a voicecoil attached to the ribbon that significantly increases its power handling and dynamic range. This combined with their SIS circuit and crossover design (passive and DSP in the Sentinal) gives them a 15:1 dynamic range. I also don't believe the Quested have the same level of full frequency dispersion, especially from 10K-20K.
Say we have an Alcons Audio CRMS mkII and a JBL M2. Both have roughly the same SPL capabilities (at least according to what their specs state). Are you saying the CRMS mkII will sound more dynamic than the M2 because of this SIS circuit? If so, why (especially considering that they both reach the same max SPL)?
post #12 of 98 Old 09-01-2018, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Reducing opportunity of distribution is my bet.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #13 of 98 Old 09-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Say we have an Alcons Audio CRMS mkII and a JBL M2. Both have roughly the same SPL capabilities (at least according to what their specs state). Are you saying the CRMS mkII will sound more dynamic than the M2 because of this SIS circuit? If so, why (especially considering that they both reach the same max SPL)?
I believe the assumption being made is that playing loud is the same as playing with high dynamic range which is the difference between the lowest level and highest level resolved (at the same time) with no compression and little distortion. The compression and distortion (often at the higher frequencies) leads to a flatter and more fatiguing sound, espically over time.
Lygren likes this.
post #14 of 98 Old 09-02-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You may be right. I remember seeing the heatsink and structure of the Alcons unit (in pictures) and it looked really "heavy duty". By all listener accounts it is a heckuva dynamic design. I haven't heard any Quested or Alcons systems yet, or the JBL M2 but I'm sure I'll eventually get to experience them all. Not that I'm in the market for anything, at the volume level I listen to I'm completely satisfied with what I've got. But window shopping for speakers is fun.

post #15 of 98 Old 09-02-2018, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

The second patent utilised, in addition to the coupled voicecoil for SPL, is what enables that very wide 90 degrees coverage @ full frequency. At CEDIA they will also showcase their new patent pending system increasing their vertical coverage as well (90x60 in this case), which is being used in their ceiling layout to better accommodate the spread needed for those (relatively) low ceilings that residential setups often would have...

Lasalle likes this.

Last edited by Lygren; 09-02-2018 at 09:03 AM.
post #16 of 98 Old 09-02-2018, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
Info on the new 18" sub revealed. Also a slim version available which is nice.

https://www.alconsaudio.com/product/crms-lfe18/

Yupp, that narrow version of that new 18» would be the perfect fit in a narrow baffle wall setup, which is certainly the superior method of installing the CRMS system.

clausdk likes this.

post #17 of 98 Old 09-02-2018, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Here’s a video of an Alcons CRMS compact install finished recently, the system is very compact and is a perfect fit for such an install...

clausdk and A7mad78 like this.

post #18 of 98 Old 09-02-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Is AVScience going to be your US distributor for Flexibaffle?

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #19 of 98 Old 09-02-2018, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
I thought the main feature of the Alcons were the directivity control.
The "directivity control" is mostly the focus of their wave guide patents (and a ribbon with 90 deg horizontal full freq dispersion -within it freq range). Most of the control historically was to limit vertical dispersion to enable stacked line arrays for the commercial market to project near-field sound long distances. These are not used for home cinema.

https://www.alconsaudio.com/line-array-technology/#

As mentioned below the new 60 deg vertical (90- horiz) was introduced to address the higher vertical dispersion requirements of home theater especially in the heights,tops,VOG places and also for larger seating areas in smaller rooms for the surrounds. In my theater the L.C.R and surrounds are all at least 16ft from the MLP and 12 ft from the nearest seat so the 4" 90x40 dispersion is fine and I'm only using the 90x60 for the H,T,VOG.

The Alcons system design , Pro-ribbon wt voicecoil, SIS, crossovers, and DSP sentinels are all optimized to produce a 15:1 dynamic rage capability. When talking to Tom Beck (owner) he always makes that point.
post #20 of 98 Old 09-02-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What kind of dynamic range do other "typical" speakers produce for comparison? I know that's a vague question but tbh I don't know what to make of the 15:1 spec, lol. For example, does it mean that at a certain spl the transients can be 15x the average spl?

post #21 of 98 Old 09-02-2018, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Is AVScience going to be your US distributor for Flexibaffle?

We’re currently not offering this system in the US, but if there were any special interest, AVS would be able to arrange it for sure...

As for finding comparable systems; well, it all depends on the room, requirement and general usage pattern. If you don’t max out a regular ribbon system; except for the (very essential) unique dispersion of the Alcons, you’d have kinda the same transient response at least.

Might also be other drivers similar to the Alcons ones, I believe Dolby had some professional cinema drivers with similar characteristics at some point (but still lacking in some other areas in direct comparison as far as I have understood...), but I have not seen anyone on the residential Ht market that is able to supply such a combination of SPL, transient response ala ribbon and dispersion, but if anyone knows of any similar ones please feel free to post that info!

thxman, Ericglo and Mike Garrett like this.

post #22 of 98 Old 09-03-2018, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
We’re currently not offering this system in the US, but if there were any special interest, AVS would be able to arrange it for sure...

As for finding comparable systems; well, it all depends on the room, requirement and general usage pattern. If you don’t max out a regular ribbon system; except for the (very essential) unique dispersion of the Alcons, you’d have kinda the same transient response at least.

Might also be other drivers similar to the Alcons ones, I believe Dolby had some professional cinema drivers with similar characteristics at some point (but still lacking in some other areas in direct comparison as far as I have understood...), but I have not seen anyone on the residential Ht market that is able to supply such a combination of SPL, transient response ala ribbon and dispersion, but if anyone knows of any similar ones please feel free to post that info!

What about Wisdom Audio?
post #23 of 98 Old 09-03-2018, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail View Post
What about Wisdom Audio?

Don´t shoot me if I´m mistaken, but I believe they use quite the "regular" ribbon albeit probably some really nice ones), although I am sure they sound amazing too!

Quested uses AMT’s (I am told), not sure about their power handling though...

Last edited by Lygren; 09-03-2018 at 01:14 PM.
post #24 of 98 Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12710 Post(s)
Liked: 10331
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
https://youtu.be/qmHcLekr-wE

Here’s a video of an Alcons CRMS compact install finished recently, the system is very compact and is a perfect fit for such an install...

Looks like a nice system. Lots of adjustability available with the framing. The wall covering used, looks a lot like a product sold here in the US called Hardiboard.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/James-Hardi...RoChIQQAvD_BwE
A very dense product.
post #25 of 98 Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Sure Mike, I believe that’s the same type of boards.

Some Alcons CEDIA 2018 booth install pics!

We’re hopefully up and running shortly, room looks great too, Walter measured a rt60 (reverberation time) quite close to a real world home cinema setup, quite an improvement from previous conference room setups. So far no rattling has been identifyed either, so lookin’ good!!

Subs are closed though, not ported like the pic. Linear in room response down to about 14hz prior to any eq’ing by the way...

thxman and Mike Garrett like this.

Last edited by Lygren; 09-05-2018 at 09:46 AM.
post #26 of 98 Old 09-05-2018, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12710 Post(s)
Liked: 10331
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

We’re hopefully up and running shortly, room looks great too, Walter measured a rt60 (reverberation time) quite close to a real world home cinema setup, quite an improvement from previous conference room setups. So far no rattling has been identifyed either, so lookin’ good!!

Subs are closed though, not ported like the pic. Linear in room response down to about 14hz prior to any eq’ing by the way...

Sounds good. I will see you at CEDIA.
post #27 of 98 Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
From Walter: The room construction itself lends itself to a significantly reduced ringing and resonance compared to our previous efforts...

Look forward seeing you Mike!

post #28 of 98 Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
What is this CEDIA you speak of?

I will land in about thirteen hours. Lygren and Arrow let me have this. I am not looking forward to my six hour flight.
Lygren likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #29 of 98 Old 09-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Some Alcons CEDIA 2018 booth install pics!

Looks very good!

Got a picture of the lcr+subs installed yet?
post #30 of 98 Old 09-05-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

looks awesome, wish I could experience it! Next best thing is reading the detailed show reports so don't be shy folks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page