post #31 of 36 Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5794 Post(s)
Liked: 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Channel increase will have no impact on IMAX Enhanced soundtracks, which top out at 11.1 channels (7.1.4) plus one object. The one object carries the upper centre channel info of IMAX 12-channel soundtracks and is reproduced by a speaker near the top of an IMAX screen. Even if all 30 DTS:X speaker locations were to be activated, it wouldn't matter because neither DTS:X nor Atmos have a speaker location at the top of the screen, so the upper centre IMAX channel will always be reproduced as a phantom image. That won't change when DTS goes past its 11.1 speaker limit because full reproduction of IMAX Enhanced soundtracks only requires a 7.1.4 set-up.
Thanks for the clarification. That's a huge dealbreaker then. I don't see any reason why DTS/iMax couldn't support a discrete CH if it's in the physical layout and the processing power is there (apart from the fact that only a minority of users could benefit from this, as it requires 12 processing channels. Auro 3D does this fine on the X8500H).

Either they provide the original Atmos (full-range) with objects, or they provide 12 discrete pre-rendered channels with CH if the AVR supports it. I have zero interest in their hybrid 7.1.4 + phantom CH.

Atmos and DTS:X might not have a CH position, but they have FH so you can phantom a perfect CH from that, or position a CH object very accurately there (where it should be, exactly in the middle, above the screen). So arguably a full range Atmos/DTS:X mix using FH to position a CH object would provide better results than their "iMax Enhanced" monstruosity, which is entirely unnecessary from a technical point of view and doesn't bring anything that couldn't be delivered with Atmos or DTS:X.

I'll try one title when I have a chance, but there is no way this will sound good in my setup. Their phantom CH will be in the middle of the screen, not above it, and forward, so basically in my head.

I guess it might work better for those with an AT screen and a C in the middle of the screen, or with C above the screen.

If it does work well, I'll report back, but I'm not holding my breath.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro

Last edited by Manni01; 01-06-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 01-08-2019, 02:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Channel increase will have no impact on IMAX Enhanced soundtracks, which top out at 11.1 channels (7.1.4) plus one object. The one object carries the upper centre channel info of IMAX 12-channel soundtracks and is reproduced by a speaker near the top of an IMAX screen. Even if all 30 DTS:X speaker locations were to be activated, it wouldn't matter because neither DTS:X nor Atmos have a speaker location at the top of the screen, so the upper centre IMAX channel will always be reproduced as a phantom image. That won't change when DTS goes past its 11.1 speaker limit because full reproduction of IMAX Enhanced soundtracks only requires a 7.1.4 set-up.
Looks like Trinnov just announced support. Maybe they will be able to render the upper center channel object to the Auro 3D CH speaker.
post #33 of 36 Old 01-08-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Quoted: 5794 Post(s)
Liked: 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Looks like Trinnov just announced support. Maybe they will be able to render the upper center channel object to the Auro 3D CH speaker.
That's what I would expect on the X8500H as well. With 13ch and CH support for Auro, it seems like a better way to do it than the phantoming.
Lasalle likes this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 7621 Post(s)
Liked: 6792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Yes, if a set-up already includes an Auro Centre Height speaker at or near the top of the screen, then Trinnov can use their proprietary re-mapping feature to stabilize the phantom imaging of the IMAX upper centre. The re-badged version of the Altitude (JBL Synthesis SDP-75) cannot do this because it did not get remapping. As mentioned before, the DTS:X renderer can't do this because the format has no speaker (rendering assumption) at that location (DTS:X Centre Height is around 20 degrees above that location, so the DTS:X decoder will always try to render that object between the Centre Height and Centre, no matter where you place those speakers).
Manni01 likes this.

Sanjay
post #35 of 36 Old 03-01-2020, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Everyone

I'm buying Denon X-6500 which is IMAX Enhanced? Do I need to buy IMAX Enhanced tv as well to play IMAX Enhanced content or can the IMAX Enhanced AV reciever play its content on my 4K LG OLED659C?
post #36 of 36 Old 03-01-2020, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maher Noseir View Post
Hello Everyone

I'm buying Denon X-6500 which is IMAX Enhanced? Do I need to buy IMAX Enhanced tv as well to play IMAX Enhanced content or can the IMAX Enhanced AV reciever play its content on my 4K LG OLED659C?
The Denon will play the IMAX Enhanced soundtrack correctly, but to get the full benefit of the IMAX Enhanced program on the picture side you will need a TV set certified to be compliant with IMAX Enhanced. However, that said, if you have a good TV and you are happy with its picture quality, IMAX Enhanced discs should still look great, even if not technically fully compliant with IMAX's intentions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page