Christie Eclipse Projector - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1187Likes

post #541 of 1175 Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
That is shocking.
Yup, I am 99% sure that the insurance companies are requiring it now. Living in Denver with the theater shooting same thing here.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1175 Old 01-15-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Ouch!

I mentioned my last Dolby Cinema experience seeing Solo. The light spill was worse than a regular theater. I was so mad that I haven't returned. Fortunately, I only had to drive fifteen minutes.
Yikes thats just terrible too. Unbelievable the amount of light spill issues in SO many of these Dolby Cinemas. Blows my mind they won't engineer around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
You guys are ruining this all for me.

Basically it sounds like the only place to go is Art and Arrow's
No doubt!!

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #543 of 1175 Old 01-15-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Yup, I am 99% sure that the insurance companies are requiring it now. Living in Denver with the theater shooting same thing here.
Thats a good point to consider. They then just need to design louvers over them to direct the light away from the screen.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 1175 Old 01-15-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Quote:

Haven't been to Arrow's but I can vouch for Art's place.. Reference all the way!
Reddig likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #545 of 1175 Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 2199
Quote:

I think Art would admit that Rob Hahn's theater is the SOTA at the moment.

Quote:
Yikes thats just terrible too. Unbelievable the amount of light spill issues in SO many of these Dolby Cinemas. Blows my mind they won't engineer around it.
At Cedia a couple of years ago, a bunch of us went to the DC in Dallas. IIRC it was one of the first. There was light spill from the exit signs. @Mike Garrett and @Craig Peer (who are both commercial contractors) basically said codes wouldn't allow for any changes. Maybe they can clarify.

My local theater was worse. I would have to look up what I said at the time. IIRC they had the stupid track lighting illuminating the whole theater. I wish I would have had the balls to walk out and ask for my money back.
Reddig likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village

Last edited by Ericglo; 01-16-2019 at 05:51 AM.
post #546 of 1175 Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

At Cedia a couple of years ago, a bunch of us went to the DC in Dallas. IIRC it was one of the first. There was light spill from the exit signs. Mike Garrett and Craig Peer (who are both commercial contractors) basically said codes wouldn't allow for any changes. Maybe they can clarify.

My local theater was worse. I would have to look up what I said at the time. IIRC they had the stupid track lighting illuminating the whole theater. I wish I would have had the balls to walk out and ask for my money back.
Rob Hahn's theater looks absolutely amazing! Art does have double the amount of Sony 5000ES's tho.

It seems fire coding may be exactly the issue. But I still wonder why they can't direct that light away from the screen with louvers?

post #547 of 1175 Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:

It seems fire coding may be exactly the issue. But I still wonder why they can't direct that light away from the screen with louvers?

Because you have to clearly see the Exits marked from any angle.
post #548 of 1175 Old 01-16-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Because you have to clearly see the Exits marked from any angle.
Even the screen needs to see the fire I guess.

post #549 of 1175 Old 01-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked: 9435
Quote:

At Cedia a couple of years ago, a bunch of us went to the DC in Dallas. IIRC it was one of the first. There was light spill from the exit signs. @Mike Garrett and @Craig Peer (who are both commercial contractors) basically said codes wouldn't allow for any changes. Maybe they can clarify.

The fire department / fire codes / building code and building department don't care it ruins the contrast. Life / safety come first. Nobody wants to watch " The Towering Inferno " and have their movie theater turn into an actual towering inferno.
post #550 of 1175 Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The fire department / fire codes / building code and building department don't care it ruins the contrast. Life / safety come first. Nobody wants to watch " The Towering Inferno " and have their movie theater turn into an actual towering inferno.

Is this state by state or national? Ive visited cinemas that have been built in the past that had the foresight to direct scattered light away from the screen;EXIT lights included. Im sure others have too.

My local 8-plex, now an AMC Classic 8, has a few houses that are so dark its hard to get up and visit the bathroom during dark scenes. The EXIT lights have side covers to direct the light away form the screen as well in those rooms. Seem some of these new builds have too much lighting to properly control. Unless some states have stricter codes.

post #551 of 1175 Old 01-16-2019, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked: 9435
Quote:
Is this state by state or national? Ive visited cinemas that have been built in the past that had the foresight to direct scattered light away from the screen;EXIT lights included. Im sure others have too.

My local 8-plex, now an AMC Classic 8, has a few houses that are so dark its hard to get up and visit the bathroom during dark scenes. The EXIT lights have side covers to direct the light away form the screen as well in those rooms. Seem some of these new builds have too much lighting to properly control. Unless some states have stricter codes.
Probably a state Fire Marshall thing. Some codes are national ( the National Electrical Code for instance ). Have you heard the term " you can't fight city hall " ? It's hard to fight building inspectors and the plan check department too.
Reddig likes this.
post #552 of 1175 Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
Quote:

I hear at the one in Indianapolis you can't see your hand in front of your face when it fades to black.

Art
Reddig and ARROW-AV like this.
post #553 of 1175 Old 01-16-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Probably a state Fire Marshall thing. Some codes are national ( the National Electrical Code for instance ). Have you heard the term " you can't fight city hall " ? It's hard to fight building inspectors and the plan check department too.
Thanks Criag. I have and thats a good point. As you said they could care less about light spillage etc. in such a situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I hear at the one in Indianapolis you can't see your hand in front of your face when it fades to black.

Art
Nice. That's what Im talking about!

post #554 of 1175 Old 01-22-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post

In this regard, it actually outperforms OLED TVs. And in fact, it also outperforms OLED TVs with respect to other aspects of video performance as well, such as the chroma performance, uniformity, and banding to name just a few. So I wasn't kidding or exaggerating when I said in my review that it significantly outperforms not only all other projectors, but also all other video display devices that I can think of with respect to overall video performance, across all formats, and this includes OLED TVs. It really is the new reference standard against which everything else should be compared

The video performance of this projector is more akin to that of the new flagship Sony BVM HX310 Master Reference Monitor but with a screen size that's 18 - 20' wide!

Well now I really want one... Or perhaps two of them.
post #555 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Well now I really want one... Or perhaps two of them.
Private buyers tend to pay a premium, so given the balking at the price, and the figures on the original Dolby going round at the time, it must be extremely expensive, so what 1.5 Million a pop? Three million for a pair?
post #556 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 03:41 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 6949
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Private buyers tend to pay a premium, so given the balking at the price, and the figures on the original Dolby going round at the time, it must be extremely expensive, so what 1.5 Million a pop? Three million for a pair?
Nope

It's nothing like as expensive as that... it's six figures, not seven figures

post #557 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
$3 million, sold! will fit in nicely in my Fifth Avenue penthouse
Art Sonneborn and ARROW-AV like this.
post #558 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope

It's nothing like as expensive as that... it's six figures, not seven figures

Yeah, we shouldn't forget the Dolby figure was for the pair.

So, roughly the price of two Thor's...

And a slight premium over the Large Samsung Wall.

BTW Nigel, why wouldn't you sell this Christie projector? Christie has been keen on integrated market/sales approach on this type of specialty products, first Dolby, now planetaria, and private theater/rooms could be you and perhaps a few others. Genesis switched side to Barco a number of year ago, so that can't be a candidate to handle design to install in the luxury market?

Last edited by donaldk; 01-24-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #559 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Yeah, we shouldn't forget the Dolby figure was for the pair.

So, roughly the price of two Thor's...

And a slight premium over the Large Samsung Wall.
Nope. It's less expensive than that as well

post #560 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So basically half the Dolby pair, minus the dci servers, and so on, I have a rough idea now;-). Still a serious chunk of change for a serious piece of equipment.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #561 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 08:55 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
So basically half the Dolby pair, minus the dci servers, and so on, I have a rough idea now;-). Still a serious chunk of change for a serious piece of equipment.
Yup

post #562 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
Why don't we just play the "you're getting warmer"game.
post #563 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3028 Post(s)
Liked: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Why don't we just play the "you're getting warmer"game.
Why don't you guys just tell us instead lol
audioguy and The Bogg like this.
post #564 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
i don't think we can post pricing on the forums. I think if we PM him, he will give us a price.
post #565 of 1175 Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colozeus View Post
i don't think we can post pricing on the forums. I think if we PM him, he will give us a price.
In short, the exact pricing is currently protected via NDA, which both Art and I have signed... so unfortunately as much as we'd love to tell you guys we quite simply are not allowed to do so at the present time... The same goes for the name of the projector... sorry!

Hopefully in circa 6 months' time we will be able to reveal all

post #566 of 1175 Old 01-25-2019, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ARROW-AV

Fantastic room that will be perfect for the Christie «Monster». Can you reveal some of the other components going into this theater? What kind of audio setup and components are involved?

Quote:
Just to add to what Art says here, aside from being big and bulky with multiple sizeable parts, and requiring cooling, this is going to be very noisy

In short, this will not be suitable for an in-room type installation. What will be required is to install the projector within its own enclosed separate environment 'outside of the room'.

The simplest way of achieving this if retrofitting into an existing home theater would be to install a false wall at the rear of the theater across the full width of the room with an entry door, thereby creating a plant room / corridor 'behind' the home theater into which the projector would then be installed, with the projector projecting via a hole in the false wall that would ideally be sealed using an optical pane of glass installed at an angle so as to prevent reflections back into the projector lens. Or if building the room from scratch then the build layout can be designed accordingly. This plant room / corridor can then be cooled via an appropriate domestic climate control system separate from the home theater.

As it happens, this is exactly the situation with respect to a current home theater/cinema build of mine that is circa 6 months away from completion, with respect to which I am considering installing this projector:

post #567 of 1175 Old 01-26-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In short, the exact pricing is currently protected via NDA, which both Art and I have signed... so unfortunately as much as we'd love to tell you guys we quite simply are not allowed to do so at the present time... The same goes for the name of the projector... sorry!

Hopefully in circa 6 months' time we will be able to reveal all

So it is delayed by another half a year!
post #568 of 1175 Old 01-26-2019, 05:06 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartw View Post
ARROW-AV

Fantastic room that will be perfect for the Christie «Monster». Can you reveal some of the other components going into this theater? What kind of audio setup and components are involved?
This particular home theater would indeed be ideal for the Christie; however, it is looking like the timing of availability of the iteration of this Christie projector that I would wish to install is such that it will be too late for inclusion within this home theater. Where in fact I will be shortly be relocating so I have now decided to install the Christie into my next home theater build that I will be building shortly after. Where if I have time and/or if folks are interested I might start a thread covering the build of that one and perhaps even this one as well

Quote:
So it is delayed by another half a year!
Nope. The timeframe is the same as has always been planned by Christie, with the main product being launched 2nd quarter 2019

oldsteve and Reddig like this.
post #569 of 1175 Old 01-27-2019, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
This particular home theater would indeed be ideal for the Christie; however, it is looking like the timing of availability of the iteration of this Christie projector that I would wish to install is such that it will be too late for inclusion within this home theater. Where in fact I will be shortly be relocating so I have now decided to install the Christie into my next home theater build that I will be building shortly after. Where if I have time and/or if folks are interested I might start a thread covering the build of that one and perhaps even this one as well

Nope. The timeframe is the same as has always been planned by Christie, with the main product being launched 2nd quarter 2019

Threads covering these builds will be very much appreciated!
gwthacker likes this.
post #570 of 1175 Old 01-27-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartw View Post
Threads covering these builds will be very much appreciated!
Ill second that!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page