Christie Eclipse Projector - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1015Likes

post #991 of 1012 Old 01-11-2020, 12:45 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 263 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4169 Post(s)
Liked: 6755
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
I think Nigel is right. Even if the Eclipse projector's picture quality performance is improved, it wouldn't be perceivable to the human eye at normal viewing distances. You don't need more than 4K resolution, really. You don't need more than the 100% BT. 2020 color gamut. So what does that mean? It means that the Eclipse is the holy grail, dawg hahaha. So personally the only thing I would like is for the price to come down. I'm talking a ten year wait. If it ten years the Christie Eclipse or similar projector can come down from it's current stratospheric price, then I'll be all over it. I'll be saving my pennies until then.
Bingo. That's precisely my thinking... and that's why I said previously I can't think why anyone would ever want to sell a Christie Eclipse after having purchased one. It's the ultimate video display, so once you own one, it's essentially job done. It really is the 'Holy Grail' that I and I know many others have been waiting a very, very long time for!

Quote:
There is one thing I'm not too sure of and that's gaming on this projector. I know the latency is low, but will it have something like VRR, ALLM, G-sync/Freesync support? I suppose all that can be added to the projector at a later date. If this is the ultimate display device, it should accommodate to gamers as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
I think and i might be wrong that Nigel said that the Eclipse will have Hdmi 2.1 or at least it is upgradable to hdmi 2.1, if that is true than it ll have 4k 120 VRR etc... and would be stunning for gaming.
Yup. The Christie Eclipse is going to be absolutely epic with respect to gaming

I will have to confirm regarding VRR, ALLM, and G-sync/Freesync support, however, what I can confirm is that the latency is only 16 ms; and it not only supports 4K120, but it has this seriously cool feature wherein via use of glasses you can have 4 players each viewing the screen and each player will see the whole screen at 4K30, but a completely different screen to everyone else, in other words it will be akin to each of the 4 players having their own full size Christie Eclipse gaming screen at 4K30... OR alternatively you can have 2 players with each viewing a different full size screen at 4K60
Craig Peer and A7mad78 like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 01-11-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1012 Old 01-11-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post

I will have to confirm regarding VRR, ALLM, and G-sync/Freesync support, however, what I can confirm is that the latency is only 16 ms; and it not only supports 4K120, but it has this seriously cool feature wherein via use of glasses you can have 4 players each viewing the screen and each player will see the whole screen at 4K30, but a completely different screen to everyone else, in other words it will be akin to each of the 4 players having their own full size Christie Eclipse gaming screen at 4K30... OR alternatively you can have 2 players with each viewing a different full size screen at 4K60
That is....insane. Insanely awesome!
post #993 of 1012 Old 01-11-2020, 01:28 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2986 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
but it has this seriously cool feature wherein via use of glasses you can have 4 players each viewing the screen and each player will see the whole screen at 4K30, but a completely different screen to everyone else, in other words it will be akin to each of the 4 players having their own full size Christie Eclipse gaming screen at 4K30... OR alternatively you can have 2 players with each viewing a different full size screen at 4K60
Hi Nigel, way out of my range as you know, but as ever interested in the tech. Does this do 3D with the passive notch filtering glasses (using the different primary laser wavelengths for each eye) or is this an active solution? How does it achieve 4 simultaneous views - is that combining active and passive, or active only? If active only, how doesn't it end up flickery (as the image could only be on screen 1/4 of the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1012 Old 01-11-2020, 02:01 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
That is....insane. Insanely awesome!
That's exactly what I said when I was informed this by Christie

Well that's what I said, after first saying: "Wait, WTF... WHAT???!!!" and "You are joking, right?"

Not joking
SED <--- Rules and Archibald1 like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 01-11-2020 at 02:22 PM.
post #995 of 1012 Old 01-11-2020, 02:19 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Hi Nigel, way out of my range as you know, but as ever interested in the tech. Does this do 3D with the passive notch filtering glasses (using the different primary laser wavelengths for each eye) or is this an active solution?
The Christie Eclipse supports BOTH active and passive 3D. Specifcally, it operates in either active or passive 3D (your choice) with 144 Hz triple flash functionality and 4K60 into each eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
How does it achieve 4 simultaneous views - is that combining active and passive, or active only? If active only, how doesn't it end up flickery (as the image could only be on screen 1/4 of the time?
In short, don't know, will have to ask!
post #996 of 1012 Old 01-11-2020, 02:25 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2986 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
The Christie Eclipse supports BOTH active and passive 3D. Specifcally, it operates in either active or passive 3D (your choice) with 144 Hz triple flash functionality and 4K60 into each eye.

In short, don't know, will have to ask!
Be really interesting to know.
If you were feeling really clever you'd make glasses with the passive filters for each eye and also active shutters, which should allow 4 viewers with only the amount of flicker you'd get from standard active 3D.

The passive 3D looks really cool. Do you know if still get full REC709 gamut with the passive 3D option?
post #997 of 1012 Old 01-13-2020, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Since it supports HDMI 2.1 with 4K 120Hz/fps, it'll be absolutely awesome to hook up a gaming PC to this projector. Say...two RTX 2080 TI cards using nvlink (or whatever the next flagship graphics card will be).
post #998 of 1012 Old 01-13-2020, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Bingo. That's precisely my thinking... and that's why I said previously I can't think why anyone would ever want to sell a Christie Eclipse after having purchased one. It's the ultimate video display, so once you own one, it's essentially job done. It really is the 'Holy Grail' that I and I know many others have been waiting a very, very long time for!

Jesus Christ that is INSANE and if you get to play with some of, or as you say the best image quality in the world
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #999 of 1012 Old 01-13-2020, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Dolby abandonned the second augmentation stream, tat required a second MPEG decoder, so effectively Dolby Vision is 10Bit only.
That's really useful info, thanks for posting it!
post #1000 of 1012 Old 01-13-2020, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
If you haven't seen them already go and check out the MicroLED Video Walls, such as Samsung's The Wall and/or SONY's Crystal LED
Yes, I did check them out. I was definitely underwhelmed by the video walls. Impressively bright, yes, but seeing the seams and structure lines throughout reminded me of watching movies on old drive-in screens.

The Sony demo with the OLED and LED screens that have actuators behind them so that the screen becomes the speaker was terrible. I cannot believe they actually showed it off as being something to be proud of.

I did enjoy seeing the demos on the new crop of superbright HDR 8K screens though. And of course all the AI that pervaded the entire show. Exciting times.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #1001 of 1012 Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Been reading this thread w/great interest. I'm a 5000ES owner with an ST lens and certainly eyeing the Eclipse 2-3 years from now. Will have to break the back wall of my HT to accommodate this of course (in my ST HT setup) and use up a portion of the back porch for it! But the dimensions aren't all that bad or humongous (relatively speaking). Now, I'd heard that RGB Lasers are prohibited from HT use unless the owner is "certified." Is this not the case any more?
post #1002 of 1012 Old 01-13-2020, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
Now, I'd heard that RGB Lasers are prohibited from HT use unless the owner is "certified."
Im sure there are many words that would fit after that word for this crowd!
gwthacker likes this.
post #1003 of 1012 Old 01-15-2020, 06:04 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Been reading this thread w/great interest. I'm a 5000ES owner with an ST lens and certainly eyeing the Eclipse 2-3 years from now. Will have to break the back wall of my HT to accommodate this of course (in my ST HT setup) and use up a portion of the back porch for it! But the dimensions aren't all that bad or humongous (relatively speaking). Now, I'd heard that RGB Lasers are prohibited from HT use unless the owner is "certified." Is this not the case any more?
Let's just say it's a non-issue
post #1004 of 1012 Old 01-15-2020, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Yes, Christie bundles a pair of very high end white canes with the projector. They though of everything!
Craig Peer and ARROW-AV like this.

Robert
post #1005 of 1012 Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
From the perspective of a Barco Thor owner, Adam Pelz had to go over some items such as do not look into the lens, and also provided some warning signs that I have outside the theater. I also make sure to warn guest not to look into the light.

But there were no issues with me having in my house.

Bryan
Reddig and ARROW-AV like this.
post #1006 of 1012 Old 01-16-2020, 02:29 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by robena View Post
Yes, Christie bundles a pair of very high end white canes with the projector. They though of everything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarcia View Post
From the perspective of a Barco Thor owner, Adam Pelz had to go over some items such as do not look into the lens, and also provided some warning signs that I have outside the theater. I also make sure to warn guest not to look into the light.

Bryan
Craig Peer and Reddig like this.
post #1007 of 1012 Old 01-16-2020, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Article today on the Christie projector at the
Hayden Planetarium.

http://www.inparkmagazine.com/worlds...rium-jan-2020/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #1008 of 1012 Old 01-16-2020, 01:26 PM
We're Nuts About AV

post #1009 of 1012 Old 01-16-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Lucky you
Hope you get it sooner . Hoping if more HT clients materialize , price will come down sooner . &#x1f600;
post #1010 of 1012 Old 01-16-2020, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarcia View Post

Bryan
At the time, there was quite a bit of paperwork that Barco had to file however. Projector setup sheets, Hazard Zone calculations, FCC variance, Radiation safety documents. Early on in the submittal process, I was also told to make sure and let local authorities know about the projector. Some of the above is no longer required.

I did temporarily put up a sign that said "Do not look into Laser with one remaining good eye". (Thanks @jamin . The signs that remain are standard laser hazard warnings and had to be posted on the entrance to the theater and mechanical space.

I remember powering up the projector/chiller combo one day, not realizing an HVAC tech was in the mechanical space. He was not amused...
Reddig, A7mad78 and dgrizzard like this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #1011 of 1012 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
That's exactly what I said when I was informed this by Christie

Well that's what I said, after first saying: "Wait, WTF... WHAT???!!!" and "You are joking, right?"

Not joking
For gaming I would think they would be happier with 120P each, at lower spatial resolution. This is clearly designed for training, live interaction simulation, and other traditional Automatic Virtual Environment (CAVE) applications, where spatial resolution is more important as images are generally static sequences or slow moving video.

Associated Great 3D might convince Wolfgang though. As he almost held off buying his new 88" 8K LG OLED TV due to the lacking 3D. He bought it, installed it and did a small test and posted his initial positive review.

Last edited by donaldk; Yesterday at 06:09 PM.
post #1012 of 1012 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Im sure there are many words that would fit after that word for this crowd!
Unless this changed recently the manufacturers all operate under waivers anyway, even for commercialapplications, so they are used to dealing with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page