Christie Eclipse Projector - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1879Likes

post #1651 of 1683 Old 05-21-2020, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked: 7943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
OK, so this is by no means scoring points nor about who is right or wrong.

I am coming back with the response from SONY regarding the Gamut Tracker feature on the Sony BVM-HX310 31inch 4K Trimaster HX Professional Master Monitor as promised.

This is extremely important information, so after I reached out to my contact at SONY Europe I also asked ALAN GOUGER to reach out to his contacts at SONY as well, who is a senior technical person. They provided answers, after which to make absolutely definitively 100% sure I asked Alan to have that individual confirm with the most senior technical person at SONY such that we can all be 100% certain that the response is factually accurate and correct

The response is THIS:

Wherein, the email message had the above text colored in red. I have not added this.

Sorry Kris, you were misinformed.

No worries. I'll see what, if anything, the grader says. Thanks for the info.
ARROW-AV likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED NOV 2019
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1683 Old 05-21-2020, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked: 7943
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP850-CLED View Post
PS. Also, the Lumagen is not the end all be all, you have maxed out the capabilities of it to great levels for which you deserve great credit!! regrettably, there is a haze of DNR and perhaps chroma delay which is the chip limitation, after 6 months with an RGB 3p unit (apparently the artifact is not visible on LCOS) these at all times present image artifacts are glaringly obvious on 4k3dlp, it cannot be excised. When compared with the amazing clarity and fine granularity controls a souped-up Pixel Perfect Madvr HTPC has the lumagen may yet end being useful due to its robust inputs 1 3 5 7 switching reliability so I was thinking this could be a good solution moving forward.
Huh? For one, I only helped identify issues to Lumagen and gave inputs on different things I thought may or may not help with the tone mapping, which led to different directions in their process that paid off. ALL of the praise for its performance goes to the folks over at Lumagen. I'm glad I could help for sure, but the work and achievements are theirs alone.

Second, not sure where you get "is a chip limitation" from. How do you know what is or isn't a chip limitation in a device you have no hand in engineering or developing? If there are issues that you are seeing with the Lumagen, by all means report them to Lumagen to evaluate. Chroma delay is easy to test for, but not sure what content you are using for DNR. Are you sure you are not just enhancing the output of MadVR which then makes the other output look softer? That could easily be the case. Jim has said MANY times before that his intent for the Lumagen scaling and processing is to NOT introduce "enhancements" which provide a subjectively sharper image, but I realize many like or prefer that. But that doesn't make one output filtered.

The Lumagen output is CONSTANTLY being evaluated on a large number of displays including feedback from an industry expert evaluating its performance against in studio grades and tone mapping on a Dolby Cinema projector. If you have input for Lumagen on things you see as a problem, by all means report it. But baseless claims about its capabilities aren't helping anyone.
llang269 likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED NOV 2019
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #1653 of 1683 Old 05-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 7299
OK, so rather than clutter up this thread with any more examples of movies which have a significant amount of BT.2020 Color Gamut color, because the reality is quite a few movies do, I've started a new thread accordingly, so those of you who are interested can find it and follow it HERE:

4K HDR MOVIES WITH BT.2020 COLOR

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-21-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 1683 Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Your dismissal of it is something extremely insulting, you might owe apologies to Gouger, That is how unfair your comments are. DCI projectors need no “stinking calibrators” an assistant manager attending concession stands and stall hygiene can make a xenon projector using a pr655 way more accurate than all of the lcos and sxrd calibrations in the history of the world.
Sony Cinema's PCAB (automated gamma, white balance, and uniformity calibration) is a threat to all "stinking calibrators" who like to twiddle with the knobs to show their calibration prowess. It could easily be applied to any display technology to render those "stinking calibrators" obsolete.

Much like Trinnov is doing in the audio world. Automated > manual.
CP850-CLED likes this.
post #1655 of 1683 Old 05-21-2020, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

Suffice to say THE MATRIX and ALIEN COVENANT will be the next two movies I watch on the Christie Eclipse, what with their very nice usages of the BT.2020 color gamut

Suffice it to say that it's awesome you can do this!

From my limited experience at your demo, both movies will be show well!
ARROW-AV likes this.

See ya. Dave

"The Blues ain't nothin' but a botheration on the mind." Otis Spann
post #1656 of 1683 Old 05-21-2020, 07:16 PM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Suffice it to say that it's awesome you can do this!

From my limited experience at your demo, both movies will be show well!
Well not quite yet... But hopefully SOON!

I am getting Eclipse 'Withdrawal Symptoms' though!

Will likely add LA LA LAND to my watch list as well...

post #1657 of 1683 Old 05-21-2020, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3974 Post(s)
Liked: 2301
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcinematech View Post
Sony Cinema's PCAB (automated gamma, white balance, and uniformity calibration) is a threat to all "stinking calibrators" who like to twiddle with the knobs to show their calibration prowess. It could easily be applied to any display technology to render those "stinking calibrators" obsolete.

Much like Trinnov is doing in the audio world. Automated > manual.
Is this tongue in cheek or serious? If serious then wouldn't you still need to purchase an expensive add on to do said calibration?

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #1658 of 1683 Old 05-21-2020, 08:21 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 1530
Quote:
PS. Also, the Lumagen is not the end all be all, you have maxed out the capabilities of it to great levels for which you deserve great credit!! regrettably, there is a haze of DNR and perhaps chroma delay which is the chip limitation, after 6 months with an RGB 3p unit (apparently the artifact is not visible on LCOS) these at all times present image artifacts are glaringly obvious on 4k3dlp, it cannot be excised. When compared with the amazing clarity and fine granularity controls a souped-up Pixel Perfect Madvr HTPC has the lumagen may yet end being useful due to its robust inputs 1 3 5 7 switching reliability so I was thinking this could be a good solution moving forward.
Kris Deering pointed your post out and I thought I would make a couple comments.

On the "haze:" I have only had a couple people say there was a haze and in the cases I know about, once I helped them get both their optical and digital black levels set correctly they said the "haze" was completely gone. I have absolutely no "haze" on our RS4500 using the Radiance Pro DTM.

Or it is perhaps an issue of not having as good of blacks as desirable for HDR. Setting the optical and digital blacks can help but there will be issues with Black for HDR in a low contrast (most DLPs) projector (or TV). This may be the case here, and if you own a Radiance Pro I would be happy to see if we can eliminate or at least improve it, in your system. I would say "low-contrast" is anything under about 5000:1 static contrast. Of course others may have a different number for the low-contrast point. Give me a call on Lumagen support at 503-572-2211 Option 2 if you would like to discuss.

We have tested for Chroma delay and have not seen any. It is possible one has crept in and we will check. However, I want to point out that the Radiance Pro is a 4:2:2 pipeline and if the source is RGB from PC gaming you might see what looks like Chroma delay, but it would likely be the Chroma resolution conversion of 4:4:4/RGB to 4:2:2 and back. I would be interested in discussing this as well if you would like to call.

I do not frequent this thread and so apologize if I seem less than responsive to further posts.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1659 of 1683 Old 05-21-2020, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Kris Deering pointed your post out and I thought I would make a couple comments.

On the "haze:" I have only had a couple people say there was a haze and in the cases I know about, once I helped them get both their optical and digital black levels set correctly they said the "haze" was completely gone. I have absolutely no "haze" on our RS4500 using the Radiance Pro DTM.

Or it is perhaps an issue of not having as good of blacks as desirable for HDR. Setting the optical and digital blacks can help but there will be issues with Black for HDR in a low contrast (most DLPs) projector (or TV). This may be the case here, and if you own a Radiance Pro I would be happy to see if we can eliminate or at least improve it, in your system. I would say "low-contrast" is anything under about 5000:1 static contrast. Of course others may have a different number for the low-contrast point. Give me a call on Lumagen support at 503-572-2211 Option 2 if you would like to discuss.

We have tested for Chroma delay and have not seen any. It is possible one has crept in and we will check. However, I want to point out that the Radiance Pro is a 4:2:2 pipeline and if the source is RGB from PC gaming you might see what looks like Chroma delay, but it would likely be the Chroma resolution conversion of 4:4:4/RGB to 4:2:2 and back. I would be interested in discussing this as well if you would like to call.

I do not frequent this thread and so apologize if I seem less than responsive to further posts.
It's not really a haze used as an analogy, trying to say it is lossy, it looks like microwaxiness (my term), other barco 6p and 3p laser owners just say that the DNR is on at all times and cannot be removed, 3 separate people have identified it. Otherwise it is a phenomenal tonemapping unit and a very reliable way to run an a/v system. Since sxrd and lcos higher frequencies MTF are less crispy than dlp it might not show, but I definitely saw it on the Thor in 2015 a waxiness like 3%, and a lot lesser recently like 1% on the 4k series 4, but then there are the other 2 videophiles with Barco 6p lasers, it can be seen by bypassing the unit with an oppo. They told me it was the chip's limitation.

"I have spoken."
post #1660 of 1683 Old 05-22-2020, 05:17 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 1530
Quote:
It's not really a haze used as an analogy, trying to say it is lossy, it looks like microwaxiness (my term), other barco 6p and 3p laser owners just say that the DNR is on at all times and cannot be removed, 3 separate people have identified it. Otherwise it is a phenomenal tonemapping unit and a very reliable way to run an a/v system. Since sxrd and lcos higher frequencies MTF are less crispy than dlp it might not show, but I definitely saw it on the Thor in 2015 a waxiness like 3%, and a lot lesser recently like 1% on the 4k series 4, but then there are the other 2 videophiles with Barco 6p lasers, it can be seen by bypassing the unit with an oppo. They told me it was the chip's limitation.
Doing a true apples-to-apples comparison for content between directly out of an Oppo 203 and through the Radiance Pro would require the source and output from the Pro set to 3840x2160 at 23.98 Hertz, 4:2:2, with the Pro at default. In this case scaling should be off (you can check on "Info Pg 3" - press OK three times). In this case , even for a HDR content, DTM would be off, with the Pro outputting HDR (assuming a HDR source).

The Pro does not try to bypass blocks of logic when at default but the blocks are effectively making no changes to the data, except there is a conversion from 4:2:2 to RGB at the beginning of the calibration pipeline, and then back to 4:2:2 at the end of the calibration pipeline. If you are right at the screen you might see a small difference due to this conversion. However, it is my considered opinion than all judgments of quality must be done at viewing distance (I consider this 1X screen width for 4k). So my question would be if you believe there is a difference in this case.

When comparing, if one cannot see the difference at viewing distance I believe there is no material difference. With a 4k projector, you should not be able to see the Chroma sampling difference at viewing distance, but you would see it close to the screen. I mention this since some (most?) people like to evaluate close to the screen. I believe this is misleading since one does not watch from too close to the screen.

Once the Pro is set to process the image, there must be differences.

If the Pro settings cause it to turn on scaling then there will be some slight "softening" of the image as it must be due to Nyquist sampling requirements. We believe the Pro has the best scaling (and gets the highest score using the Tektronix HDMI tester image scaling analysis for real time scalers that we know of) there is no getting around the math of scaling which requires a filter. I mention this as some will see this as DNR.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so perhaps we can take this offline if you are willing to continue the discussion. You can email me at support AT lumagen.com. We strive to have the absolute best image quality, and I am always interested in feedback.

As a final note, now that we have the Radiance Pro DTM well in hand, we are working on additional pipeline enhancements that might make a small, perhaps discernible, improvement in the image. The front end of the pipeline is currently 10-bits, and we will be increasing this to 12-bits. DTM is already floating point, but we will be increasing the calibration pipeline from its current 12+ bits to higher precision. These enhancements will lower the image noise floor, and have the most chance of being noticeable on DLP given its digital nature.
A7mad78 likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1661 of 1683 Old 05-22-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

As a final note, now that we have the Radiance Pro DTM well in hand, we are working on additional pipeline enhancements that might make a small, perhaps discernible, improvement in the image. The front end of the pipeline is currently 10-bits, and we will be increasing this to 12-bits. DTM is already floating point, but we will be increasing the calibration pipeline from its current 12+ bits to higher precision. These enhancements will lower the image noise floor, and have the most chance of being noticeable on DLP given its digital nature.
Thanks, Jim, I think this may well be the solution since I noticed a big improvement since 2015, as you make the upgrades I will check them on the Barco series 4 and report.

"I have spoken."

Last edited by CP850-CLED; 05-22-2020 at 06:59 AM.
post #1662 of 1683 Old 05-22-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Onyx is not going to be installed into anyone's home theater though. It's a commercial product with a very large size pixel pitch which is unsuitable for installation in home theaters.
There are 'plenty' of 2K units installed in smaller rooms. Of course there are HTs that will find the Wall a bit small at 8K, let alone the 4K version, so need something bigger. Of course there needs to be a reason to kick the DCi projector to the curb.

No Sale, same position Sony took, will some Super Yacht owner/operator came along. The suggestion was they paid 'cash';-). Then Sony changed its mind. Guess there are only so many car designers out there;-).
post #1663 of 1683 Old 05-23-2020, 07:59 AM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Quote:
Onyx is not going to be installed into anyone's home theater though. It's a commercial product with a very large size pixel pitch which is unsuitable for installation in home theaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
There are 'plenty' of 2K units installed in smaller rooms.
I was referencing Samsung ONYX, which is 4K, not 2K. It has a very large size pixel pitch of 2.5mm and is not suitable for installation into home theaters.

Quote:
Of course there are HTs that will find the Wall a bit small at 8K, let alone the 4K version, so need something bigger. Of course there needs to be a reason to kick the DCi projector to the curb.
The 8K iteration of The Wall is 6.5m / 21' 2" wide... not exactly "a bit small" LOL!

Or are you referencing the prototype smaller 0.4mm pixel pitch iteration? If so, bearing in mind that the 0.8mm version of Samsung's The Wall is not seamless (you can see the joins between the panels) I have serious concerns regards going smaller with the pixel pitch size, given this will exacerbate the problem fourfold. Something which is evident from the prototype demos of the 0.4mm pixel pitch size technology to date. ALL had an even worse issue with respect to seamlessness. Better to get the 0.8mm MicroLED iteration perfected first IMO

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-23-2020 at 08:37 AM.
post #1664 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was referencing Samsung ONYX, which is 4K, not 2K. It has a very large size pixel pitch of 2.5mm and is not suitable for installation into home theaters.

The 8K iteration of The Wall is 6.5m / 21' 2" wide... not exactly "a bit small" LOL!

Or are you referencing the prototype smaller 0.4mm pixel pitch iteration? If so, bearing in mind that the 0.8mm version of Samsung's The Wall is not seamless (you can see the joins between the panels) I have serious concerns regards going smaller with the pixel pitch size, given this will exacerbate the problem fourfold. Something which is evident from the prototype demos of the 0.4mm pixel pitch size technology to date. ALL had an even worse issue with respect to seamlessness. Better to get the 0.8mm MicroLED iteration perfected first IMO

Nope Onyx has been available in both 4K and a quarter size version, 2K. Both in 2.56mm pitch. Later the 14M larger pitch 4K version was launched. These 2K one are what goes into Hollywood rooms, due to their 'limited' size. The first demo unit Samsungs Hollywood Liaison told me early 2018 had just been installed in his office.

Well those HT's that currently use a DCi projector can be sizable. So if you come from a 9+ meter screen 6.5 meter is small. It can't be just Arnold Chase's initially JVC CRT fed projector based 103 then 105 seat TK designed HT.
post #1665 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 06:42 AM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Quote:
Nope Onyx has been available in both 4K and a quarter size version, 2K. Both in 2.56mm pitch. Later the 14M larger pitch 4K version was launched. These 2K one are what goes into Hollywood rooms, due to their 'limited' size. The first demo unit Samsungs Hollywood Liaison told me early 2018 had just been installed in his office.

Well those HT's that currently use a DCi projector can be sizable. So if you come from a 9+ meter screen 6.5 meter is small. It can't be just Arnold Chase's initially JVC CRT fed projector based 103 then 105 seat TK designed HT.
No Donald, that is incorrect.

Video Walls in general do not actually have any particular resolution, because the resolution of the screen is variable according to how many panels are used to make up the screen. So you can essentially have any resolution you like.

The exception to this is Samsung ONYX which is Samsung's DCI certified video wall product for commercial cinema application. The DCI certification has 4K resolution being mandatory, which is why they are not allowed to use a smaller size pixel pitch and 8K resolution. It has to be 4K, hence the large pixel pitch size.

I think you might be confusing ONYX with Samsung's IF LED video wall products, wherein the target demographic is the professional market, where again, the resolution will be variable for the aforementioned reason, but HD 1080p iterations are commonplace.

OR you might be confusing ONYX with an earlier generation product when it was called Cinema LED Screen, and had not yet received DCI certification?

If ONYX is installed in any other resolution configuration other than 4K then this will NOT be a DCI compliant installation and hence not ONYX's primary application.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-25-2020 at 06:48 AM.
post #1666 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The post and sign off are done prior to DCi security.

But what gives you the idea that DCi Certification requires 4K?! Ask your buddies at Christie, about their recent 2K RGB laser jobbies, marketed into the xenon replacement market, now service (contract)life has ended on the first generation of Xenon DCi projectors. No scaling just means the distributale has to offer 2K resolution, nothing new. Most theater rooms are likely 2K, regardless whether Xenon, UHP, Laser-Phosphor or RGB laser. Only RGB laser saw initial deployment in premium market, hence originally 4K only.

Samsung has said it installed the 5.2M 2K version in theaters. Page 24 shows the readily available models 5.2, 10.4, and the 14M with the larger pitch; https://displaysolutions.samsung.com..._180423_2p.pdf.

Modular, but Samsungs control only offers three configurations.
post #1667 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 AM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Quote:
The post and sign off are done prior to DCi security.

But what gives you the idea that DCi Certification requires 4K?! Ask your buddies at Christie, about their recent 2K RGB laser jobbies, marketed into the xenon replacement market, now service (contract)life has ended on the first generation of Xenon DCi projectors. No scaling just means the distributale has to offer 2K resolution, nothing new. Most theater rooms are likely 2K, regardless whether Xenon, UHP, Laser-Phosphor or RGB laser. Only RGB laser saw initial deployment in premium market, hence originally 4K only.

Samsung has said it installed the 5.2M 2K version in theaters. Page 24 shows the readily available models 5.2, 10.4, and the 14M with the larger pitch; https://displaysolutions.samsung.com..._180423_2p.pdf.

Modular, but Samsungs control only offers three configurations.
Samsung has lots of different video wall products for different applications and industries.

Read my posts properly. DCI Certification does not require 4K. Samsung's ONYX which has the DCI certification is 4K. It's NOT HD / 2K.

This is the respective press release by Samsung themselves:

Quote:
Samsung Onyx display delivers visual quality, technical performance and reliability beyond that of traditional projector-based operations. With the 4K model earning validation as the world’s first Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI)-certified LED theatre display, Samsung Onyx brings the visual power of LED picture quality and High Dynamic Range (HDR) picture refinement to the big screen for more captivating and lifelike content.
post #1668 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 2245
I was wondering about something, has anyone heard anything about that ... what's it called ... oh yea Eclipse projector ? Seriously ,I think another video wall thread would be great or even a new subforum for Video Walls for these discussions.

Art
post #1669 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 10:11 AM

Thay may be the case but it has not stopped studios and cinemas(Switzerland) from implementing the 2k version.

https://www.roundabout.com/onyx-cinema-screen

That image is phenomenal, If I had a room in the house the size of the studio, assuming I could get the hdmi in, it would be a viable option at 16 feet away.

The one thing that is glaringly obvious when you visit the various Hollywood Videowall studios is that compression driver loudspeakers and large glass reflectors are not the best choice for smooth sound.
woofer likes this.

"I have spoken."

Last edited by CP850-CLED; 05-25-2020 at 10:15 AM.
post #1670 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Quote:
Thay may be the case but it has not stopped studios and cinemas(Switzerland) from implementing the 2k version.
Spoiler!

https://www.roundabout.com/onyx-cinema-screen

That image is phenomenal, If I had a room in the house the size of the studio, assuming I could get the hdmi in, it would be a viable option at 16 feet away.

The one thing that is glaringly obvious when you visit the various Hollywood Videowall studios is that compression driver loudspeakers and large glass reflectors are not the best choice for smooth sound.
Fair enough. However, that's not DCI certified. It's only the 4K version that's installed into theaters wherein DCI compliance is mandatory.

And if you are wanting a video wall then there are many much better products than this. 2.5mm pixel pixel is way too large size pixel pitch for home installations. Really needs to be south of 1.0mm, with the exception being Sony Crystal LED which is 1.2mm but wherein the emissive pixel component is only 0.05mm.

Either way, bit of an odd choice for a grading studio for numerous reasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I was wondering about something, has anyone heard anything about that ... what's it called ... oh yea Eclipse projector ? Seriously ,I think another video wall thread would be great or even a new subforum for Video Walls for these discussions.

Art
100% agree! Thank you

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-25-2020 at 11:22 AM.
post #1671 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 11:44 AM

Someone is bending the rules, these 2 venues I speak of are DCI compliant in 2k.

"I have spoken."
post #1672 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 12:36 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 3302 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Is there a different spec for DCI flat panels? The DCI projection spec v1.3 says both 2K and 4K are fine, though you can only watch 2K packages on a 2K setup I believe.
post #1673 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Is there a different spec for DCI flat panels? The DCI projection spec v1.3 says both 2K and 4K are fine, though you can only watch 2K packages on a 2K setup I believe.
You can't just install any display product into a commercial cinema. The product has to be DCI certified. There are many DCI certified projectors that are 2K. There are not currently any DCI certified LED Video Walls that are 2K. The Samsung ONYX 4K iteration is the first and only DCI certified Video Wall from Samsung at the present time.

Sony has also attained DCI certification for their Crystal LED MicroLED Video Wall; however, this also is only for the 4K iteration. Due to the small pixel pitch of only 1.2mm this is only 5.24m x 2.72m in size, so not viable for big screen commercial cinemas. Also, Sony has just dropped out of the commercial cinema projector market so their intent with respect to pursuing installation of Crystal LED Video Walls into commercial cinemas is unknown at the present time.

Also, I have to agree with @Art Sonneborn , what has ANY of this to do with the CHRISTIE ECLIPSE?

Can we PLEASE kindly cease any and all further discussion regarding video walls and get back to the topic of this thread?

tigerhonaker and dgrizzard like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-25-2020 at 02:12 PM.
post #1674 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Samsung has lots of different video wall products for different applications and industries.

Read my posts properly. DCI Certification does not require 4K. Samsung's ONYX which has the DCI certification is 4K. It's NOT HD / 2K.

This is the respective press release by Samsung themselves:

And the quote doesn't exclude the later certification and therefore release of a 2K 5 meter version (nor of the 14M version), all the quote says it is the first led wall to be DCi certified. Where does that say anything about the 5.2M and 14 Meter and that 20.8M 8K version Samsung put forward in its (verbal) timelime.

On the other hand I showed you the official brochure/catalog for the Onyx. That shows all three current models, the 2K 5.2 model, the original 10.4M 4K model and the 3.3mm pitch 14M 4K.

You disregarded the evidence and called me a liar;-). You forgot to check on the offical DCi certified equipment list.

So here it is, the 24 cabinet version: https://www.dcimovies.com/compliant_...-20180410.html!

The 14M https://www.dcimovies.com/compliant_...-20180730.html

And the First, also certified without the GDC mediablock, 10.4 Meter 4K: https://www.dcimovies.com/compliant_...-20170927.html

So Nigel Onyx has been 4K and 2K for over two years now...
post #1675 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope there has been/is a working group working one guidelines/requirements, that released whitepapers, but no standardisation sofar. What Peter Lute that has been consulting with DCi on the issue for a number of years indicated at a cinema session at IBC 2018 was that a lot of issues with walls have to be resolved/quality improved to get it to mainstream and therefore standardisation.

At the same gathering the Sony rep. told the audience that certification for the Crystal Led was imminent with the testing concluded and passed.

And Nigel keeps repeating that the 2K version is not certified, where DCi says it is. So no rule bending required in Switzerland. studio's not necessarily require DCi certification, but the Onyx has certification on all three current models.

Last edited by donaldk; 05-25-2020 at 06:25 PM.
post #1676 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only way to get this thread back on track, is real news on the Eclipse. Did anyone say DCi certification

And no mention of any alternatives, provoking replies regarding the mentioned alternatives.
post #1677 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
The DCI spec includes a requirement that the server be able to downscale a 4K package to 2K (if it is connected to a 2K projector). This enables a single 4K package delivery to all sites, irrespective of whether they are 2K or 4K capable.
post #1678 of 1683 Old 05-25-2020, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Art
Amen. Good grief.
ARROW-AV and dgrizzard like this.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #1679 of 1683 Old 05-26-2020, 08:01 AM
Absolute Ultimate AV

Quote:
So here it is, the 24 cabinet version: https://www.dcimovies.com/compliant_...-20180410.html!

The 14M https://www.dcimovies.com/compliant_...-20180730.html

And the First, also certified without the GDC mediablock, 10.4 Meter 4K: https://www.dcimovies.com/compliant_...-20170927.html

So Nigel Onyx has been 4K and 2K for over two years now...
In which case I stand corrected sir. And apologies for having doubted you

Very strange of Samsung to publish a press release not so long ago stating that the 4K iteration of ONYX is the first to receive DCI certification. So go figure!

So our takeaway from this is that if someone wishes to install a 2K version of Samung's ONYX Video Wall into a commercial cinema then they can most certainly do so.

Now can we please get back on topic? Pretty pretty please?

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 05-26-2020 at 08:29 AM.
post #1680 of 1683 Old 05-26-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Thumbs up

Quote:
You can't just install any display product into a commercial cinema. The product has to be DCI certified. There are many DCI certified projectors that are 2K. There are not currently any DCI certified LED Video Walls that are 2K. The Samsung ONYX 4K iteration is the first and only DCI certified Video Wall from Samsung at the present time.

Sony has also attained DCI certification for their Crystal LED MicroLED Video Wall; however, this also is only for the 4K iteration. Due to the small pixel pitch of only 1.2mm this is only 5.24m x 2.72m in size, so not viable for big screen commercial cinemas. Also, Sony has just dropped out of the commercial cinema projector market so their intent with respect to pursuing installation of Crystal LED Video Walls into commercial cinemas is unknown at the present time.

Also, I have to agree with @Art Sonneborn , what has ANY of this to do with the CHRISTIE ECLIPSE?

Can we PLEASE kindly cease any and all further discussion regarding video walls and get back to the topic of this thread?

Nigel,

I was and have been wondering when someone was going to say that ^^^

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page