Christie Eclipse Projector - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1985Likes

post #1711 of 1735 Old 06-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hi Nigel, wanted to ask, what screen material are you using in your setup ?

I presume you are using an AT perforated screen by Stewart.

What is the best micro-weave screen that you've seen ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1735 Old 06-08-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 571
I built out my theater\music room in 2006 after drooling over Art's Room, the bland, etc, etc.
Like you guys everyone who's ever been in my room is amazed, certainly not on the same level as the above or Kris' room but you guys are in the rarifiedest air of rarified air, especially gear-wise.
I too came to the realization that I would be doing 99.9% of viewing or listening solo & that not a single person who visited would invest in the expense\work of building out a room.
I sill love my Fortress of Solitude as the world could blow up and I'd be the last person in the city to know.

Currently, I positive I won't buy another projector. I will be moving in 2 to 2 1/2 years when I retire mostly likely to another state with lower cost of living.
Most likely be building a single-level house without the luxury of a dedicated room and I won't do one even if I can.

By that time the cost to upgrade my projector vs what will hopefully be a 100+" OLED will not pencil out, not even close.
Sorry to say, while PJ performance has improved by orders of magnitude the only that make a pj superior is the screen size
Kris Deering likes this.

post #1713 of 1735 Old 06-08-2020, 11:40 AM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Quoted: 4498 Post(s)
Liked: 7488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Sorry to say, while PJ performance has improved by orders of magnitude the only that make a pj superior is the screen size
Sorry to say that this is factually incorrect.

There is not a single other display currently in existence which matches the video performance of the Christie Eclipse.

Whilst I am sure that products will continue to evolve the fact of the matter is that as of right now there will always be an element of compromise. The Eclipse is the exception to this.

You can name whichever display you like and I will be able to point out at least one aspect of video performance, if not multiple, wherein the Christie Eclipse is superior.

So, no it is most certainly NOT the case that the only advantage of a projector is the screen size.

Art Sonneborn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 1735 Old 06-08-2020, 12:06 PM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post

Check your PM

post #1715 of 1735 Old 06-08-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Sorry to say that this is factually incorrect.

There is not a single other display currently in existence which matches the video performance of the Christie Eclipse.

Whilst I am sure that products will continue to evolve the fact of the matter is that as of right now there will always be an element of compromise. The Eclipse is the exception to this.

You can name whichever display you like and I will be able to point out at least one aspect of video performance, if not multiple, wherein the Christie Eclipse is superior.

So, no it is most certainly NOT the case that the only advantage of a projector is the screen size.

I stand corrected and was speaking to the broader market like Epson, JVC, Sony etc., & more directly to the 2ndary topic of dedicated theater rooms
My apologies.

post #1716 of 1735 Old 06-08-2020, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
That may be true to the die hard enthusiasts on here, in the past the main driver for projection was a very cost effective screen size/price ratio.

As panels increase in size and quality and come down ever more in price, a lot of people will (understandably) forego the hanging of a screen, projector on the ceiling and light treatment in their rooms, for a huge panel display that is basically a 'drop in' replacement with minimal fuss and rewiring.

Makes sense to me, even though IMO, a projected image is just somehow much nicer to look at all things being equal.
Ya its inevitable that the LED panels will drop down in price over time. Even just the regular LED back lit LCD televisions 80" class have become a budget option for many. Not this guy!
ARROW-AV and Archibald1 like this.

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monolith/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku

Last edited by Reddig; 06-08-2020 at 07:42 PM.
post #1717 of 1735 Old 06-09-2020, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
I stand corrected and was speaking to the broader market like Epson, JVC, Sony etc., & more directly to the 2ndary topic of dedicated theater rooms
My apologies.
Basically anything that doesn't cost as much or even more than that single story house. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=barndomium
Milt99 likes this.
post #1719 of 1735 Old 06-23-2020, 02:30 PM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

UPDATE:

We now have the new timeline that has been revised as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Christie Eclipse product launch is now scheduled for the first units to be shipped circa January 2021.

The early birds are now circling and it looks like the first will be shortly out of the gate.

Seriously looking forward to seeing the first of these out in the field.

Looking forward even more to seeing my own installed

According to Christie demos by prior appointment with respect to East Coast United States are due to come online circa December 2020.

Following the success of the previous demo at Christie Cypress California last March, and in light of the fact that there's a bunch of folks who were unfortunately unable to attend, I am in process of organizing a second demo event to transpire there; wherein we are currently aiming for sometime in September 2020.

If you are interested in attending then please kindly send me a PM to let me know accordingly.

Many thanks,
Nigel

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 06-23-2020 at 02:45 PM.
post #1721 of 1735 Old 06-23-2020, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
In anticipation of the first...
THE CHRISTIE ECLIPSE PROJECTOR OWNER'S THREAD
Can't wait to see live reports, especially from people who own a big OLED.

I have been forced to live with a 77" one for 3 years due to a temporary relocation, no way I go back to a normal PJ. No other projector can do 100% HDR (and REC 2020), and these are much more important for me than 4K. Maybe the dual SIM, but 2K panels (even if that contradicts what I just said ) already make it obsolete. If I get one of these babies, it will be to keep it for 5 to 7 years minimum. Maybe more!

It will be either a 88" OLED, or the Eclipse, depending on the way the markets rebound. Likely not early 2021 I'm afraid.
ARROW-AV likes this.

Robert
post #1722 of 1735 Old 06-23-2020, 03:11 PM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by robena View Post
Can't wait to see live reports, especially from people who own a big OLED.

I have been forced to live with a 77" one for 3 years due to a temporary relocation, no way I go back to a normal PJ. No other projector can do 100% HDR (and REC 2020), and these are much more important for me than 4K. Maybe the dual SIM, but 2K panels (even if that contradicts what I just said ) already make it obsolete. If I get one of these babies, it will be to keep it for 5 to 7 years minimum. Maybe more!

It will be either a 88" OLED, or the Eclipse, depending on the way the markets rebound. Likely not early 2021 I'm afraid.
Personally, I consider this to be equivalent to the 'Holy Grail' of video displays that I and many others have been waiting for a very long time indeed

Even with respect to high-end video displays there has always been an element of compromise... pick your poison so to speak... The Christie Eclipse is the first to literally tick every box with zero compromise. Consequently, IMO if you get one of these babies, you're done. You have the ultimate video display. No upgrade necessary. Or at least for a VERY long time!

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 06-23-2020 at 03:18 PM.
post #1723 of 1735 Old 06-23-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Yep, exactly, which is why a compromise like the dual SIM is out of the question, even if it's really the second best.
ARROW-AV likes this.

Robert
post #1724 of 1735 Old 06-23-2020, 05:28 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
UPDATE:

We now have the new timeline that has been revised as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Christie Eclipse product launch is now scheduled for the first units to be shipped circa January 2021.

The early birds are now circling and it looks like the first will be shortly out of the gate.

Seriously looking forward to seeing the first of these out in the field.

Looking forward even more to seeing my own installed

According to Christie demos by prior appointment with respect to East Coast United States are due to come online circa December 2020.

Following the success of the previous demo at Christie Cypress California last March, and in light of the fact that there's a bunch of folks who were unfortunately unable to attend, I am in process of organizing a second demo event to transpire there; wherein we are currently aiming for sometime in September 2020.

If you are interested in attending then please kindly send me a PM to let me know accordingly.

Many thanks,
Nigel

Hi Nigel:

Where on the East Coast? If I can drive there I'm in.
post #1725 of 1735 Old 06-23-2020, 05:50 PM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

post #1726 of 1735 Old 06-23-2020, 07:14 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Florida

Too bad it's too far of a drive
post #1727 of 1735 Old 06-24-2020, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Florida

Gulf Coast, I guess;-).
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #1728 of 1735 Old 06-30-2020, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post

Quote:
Check your PM

I have the same question.\

Thanks,
Darrell

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
post #1729 of 1735 Old 06-30-2020, 11:09 PM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
I have the same question.\

Thanks,
Darrell
The various screen material manufacturers continue to evolve and improve their products. I will be shortly carrying out an up-to-date due diligence evaluation exercise to ascertain what is the best screen material to use with the Christie Eclipse. However, if I were a betting man my money would be on the DreamScreen UltraWeave v7 (and v6). I have a sample of the v7 material and will be carrying out evaluations in its own right as well as versus an array of other materials that I have short-listed

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 06-30-2020 at 11:12 PM.
post #1730 of 1735 Old 07-01-2020, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
Quote:
The various screen material manufacturers continue to evolve and improve their products. I will be shortly carrying out an up-to-date due diligence evaluation exercise to ascertain what is the best screen material to use with the Christie Eclipse. However, if I were a betting man my money would be on the DreamScreen UltraWeave v7 (and v6). I have a sample of the v7 material and will be carrying out evaluations in its own right as well as versus an array of other materials that I have short-listed

Looking forward to your review !

Art
swarm87 likes this.
post #1731 of 1735 Old 07-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It would be extremely interesting to see how close or how not so close in different aspects the V7 is compared to the one is inspired by the Stewart Studiotek 100
post #1732 of 1735 Old 07-01-2020, 04:51 PM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailil View Post
It would be extremely interesting to see how close or how not so close in different aspects the V7 is compared to the one is inspired by the Stewart Studiotek 100
Exactly right. Personally I use the Stewart SnoMatte 100 as my comparative reference standard.

post #1733 of 1735 Old 07-02-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Looking forward to your review !

Art
As am I. Ive heard great things.

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monolith/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #1734 of 1735 Old 07-05-2020, 01:21 PM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

For those who are interested here is the Home Theater which I recently completed within my house in the UK, wherein I had intended to feature the Christie Eclipse as the projector, prior to my deciding to instead install it within my new home theater in the United States:

And here's my build thread: THE MANOR DEDICATED HOME THEATER

tigerhonaker, jeno, ailil and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 07-05-2020 at 01:57 PM.
post #1735 of 1735 Old 07-05-2020, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
For those who are interested here is the Home Theater which I recently completed within my house in the UK, wherein I had intended to feature the Christie Eclipse as the projector, prior to my deciding to instead install it within my new home theater in the United States:

https://youtu.be/br32luTomOU

And here's my build thread: THE MANOR DEDICATED HOME THEATER

What a theater well done that’s words can’t describe how beautiful is the room ...enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ARROW-AV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page