Christie Large Venue Demonstration - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 632Likes

post #511 of 664 Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2861 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
Hoya HMC filters work very well and as they're coated have no visible effect on the image other than what's intended. I've never seen a B stock or interim value from Hoya unfortunately, and the adjustable ND filters people have tried aren't stable enough colour wise to be of any use, unless someone knows one that does work as intended?
Trouble with the camera filters Gary is they aren't big enough once you start angling them to avoid the rear reflection, that's why I had to step up to the larger format filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 664 Old 12-05-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2861 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check em out... the problem is they are so expensive... and I have no idea what percentage of light to block out... buy a few would be pricey... do you think a 50% would do?

btw: How do you find with and without it on your projector?
Its a necessity in my set-up (Sony 760ES + HP2.4) as the projector doesn't have sufficient luminance adjustment range to get down low enough for SDR. The filter works well as it halves the black floor, and gets me to around 18-20FtL for SDR, which is my preference for SDR.

In terms of what percentage to block, you need to measure what peak luminance you get in your chosen set-up, and decide what peak luminance you'd prefer - the difference between them is obviously the percentage you need to cut.

EDIT: You don't say what projector you have? Obviously I had to use an ND filter because there was no way for me to reduce peak luminance, but normally you wouldn't need them and the projectors iris,(if it has one) is a better solution.

EDIT 2: You can test with cheap 2nd hand filters off ebay and the like. I bought one for less than £5 off ebay to test with before pushing on with the proper one.
Reddig likes this.

Last edited by Wookii; 12-05-2018 at 07:19 AM.
post #513 of 664 Old 12-05-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Trouble with the camera filters Gary is they aren't big enough once you start angling them to avoid the rear reflection, that's why I had to step up to the larger format filter.
Yeah, good point - the largest I used was 77mm and I've not tried them against the pjs we're talking about here so I've not run into that problem before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Its a necessity in my set-up (Sony 760ES + HP2.4) as the projector doesn't have sufficient luminance adjustment range to get down low enough for SDR. The filter works well as it halves the black floor, and gets me to around 18-20FtL for SDR, which is my preference for SDR.

In terms of what percentage to block, you need to measure what peak luminance you get in your chosen set-up, and decide what peak luminance you'd prefer - the difference between them is obviously the percentage you need to cut.

EDIT: You don't say what projector you have? Obviously I had to use an ND filter because there was no way for me to reduce peak luminance, but normally you wouldn't need them and the projectors iris,(if it has one) is a better solution.

EDIT 2: You can test with cheap 2nd hand filters off ebay and the like. I bought one for less than £5 off ebay to test with before pushing on with the proper one.
I think NDs are a great way to do that and FL-Days can work better if the pj allows an increase in contrast after recalibration (along with a reduced black floor) - but it all depends on the native output of the lightsource. They work well with most UHP lamps, and with some lasers. problem with those of course is they need a separate calibrated setting if you want to slide them out of the way for HDR etc.

Ebay is a great place to pick up filters for the reasons you state - I used to use a swatch of Lees plastic CC filters to get me close to where I wanted to be, then pick up a decent glass equivalent. I found a pack of cheap NDs (2, 4 and 8) that were actually a lot better than expected so I always had one of each to hand to test with and it didn't matter if they got dropped or lost. With high lumen projectors I wouldn't recommend using thin plastic filters on a temporary basis as they can actually get hot and crinkle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 664 Old 12-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Yeah, and I can't think why I would want to move to sunny Florida when I will be enjoying THIS gorgeous weather for the next 6 months or so! Lovely, isn't it?!:

Lol, it's why I moved to Texas from London.... although it is getting into the 30's at night! And I don't mean C! Although it does amuse me when my British friends/family say it's "hot" at 30oC during the day and I point out that it's usually that at NIGHT!
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #515 of 664 Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
Yeah, good point - the largest I used was 77mm and I've not tried them against the pjs we're talking about here so I've not run into that problem before.

I think NDs are a great way to do that and FL-Days can work better if the pj allows an increase in contrast after recalibration (along with a reduced black floor) - but it all depends on the native output of the lightsource. They work well with most UHP lamps, and with some lasers. problem with those of course is they need a separate calibrated setting if you want to slide them out of the way for HDR etc.

Ebay is a great place to pick up filters for the reasons you state - I used to use a swatch of Lees plastic CC filters to get me close to where I wanted to be, then pick up a decent glass equivalent. I found a pack of cheap NDs (2, 4 and 8) that were actually a lot better than expected so I always had one of each to hand to test with and it didn't matter if they got dropped or lost. With high lumen projectors I wouldn't recommend using thin plastic filters on a temporary basis as they can actually get hot and crinkle!

Gary do you PM? I wanted to talk to you about filters again and I don’t see that option for you.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread!
post #516 of 664 Old 12-08-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Gary do you PM? I wanted to talk to you about filters again and I don’t see that option for you.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread!

Hi Dave,

Yes, I do PMs and I've had a few recently so I don't know why there's a problem there. I'll PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #517 of 664 Old 12-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Thanks - looks like it will be beast to install...
You do not want to be sitting in the room with it. It whizzes, pops, cracks, clicks and puts out a lot of heat. But if you do have a designated projection booth, that is well insulated, such as in a large scale theatre, set up is no more troublesome than any other Christie. They are large and heavy, more so than a comparable Barco.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #518 of 664 Old 12-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
The lack of RGB laser artifacting at the demonstration was likely more due to the laser wavelength diversity employed than total output. This isn't to mention the fact that ,at least during the morning when I was there, it was running full out I believe. Getting 500 nits on something that gigantic with perfect black is something to behold.
Art, wavelength has been played with considerable as has different lens materials and manufacturing processes. Glad you enjoyed it. Think the total bill for R&D on this was like $2.3Million for Christie. Not sure what it was for the other partners like Dolby, high I am sure. The end game for this, as it should be no secret, is to have a visual experience that makes you forget you are watching an image projected on a silver screen and of course glasses-free 3D.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #519 of 664 Old 12-20-2018, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Art, wavelength has been played with considerable as has different lens materials and manufacturing processes. Glad you enjoyed it. Think the total bill for R&D on this was like $2.3Million for Christie. Not sure what it was for the other partners like Dolby, high I am sure. The end game for this, as it should be no secret, is to have a visual experience that makes you forget you are watching an image projected on a silver screen and of course glasses-free 3D.
Can someone explain to me how glasses free 3D works? I know you need to present different image to different eye... how does glasses free work for that... ? I can't figure it out... the only thing that pops into my mind is if you play it at super fast frames and somehow the brain uses each eye to watch different frames because it's too fast? haha..
post #520 of 664 Old 12-20-2018, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post

The money has been well spent IMO. I hope more get to see the capability. I was honestly not expecting what I saw but something with some sort of parameter trade instead of something that is setting the bar incredibly high across the board.

Art
post #521 of 664 Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 171
So there isn't a name for this incredible Christie projector yet? It's nowhere to be found in Christie's website.
post #522 of 664 Old 01-10-2019, 11:06 PM

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...icester-square

Quote:
"The projection is also completely bespoke with dual modified Christie laser projectors due to go in that are custom-built for Dolby Vision."
Saw this article, not sure if it's the same projector we're talking about in here or not.....
post #523 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Will only buy it if they can be stacked!
post #524 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
So there isn't a name for this incredible Christie projector yet? It's nowhere to be found in Christie's website.

It has a name, an appropriate one I might add, but we were asked to not divulge it.

Art
Reddig and ARROW-AV like this.
post #525 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 06:57 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 3845 Post(s)
Liked: 6267
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...icester-square

Saw this article, not sure if it's the same projector we're talking about in here or not.....
NO that is NOT this projector. That is the commerical DOLBY CINEMA projector

Furtheremore, I experienced that particular Dolby Cinema only last week and I walked out in disgust after 10 minutes and we all demanded ticket refunds, because it is the WORST Dolby Cinema that I have ever experienced. The degree of in-room lighting was so severe that I estimate less than 5,000:1 on screen contrast; plus the audio system's EQ was all out of whack. Bloody awful experience I highly recommend that anyone in the UK AVOID IT!

post #526 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
It has a name, an appropriate one I might add, but we were asked to not divulge it.

Art
The name is perfect. Hopefully in a few months' time it can be revealed

Art Sonneborn and Reddig like this.
post #527 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Most probably called "Unobtainium".
post #528 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Art
Ooooo highly secret!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1restarter View Post
Most probably called "Unobtainium".
Hahaha that's a good one!

Anyway, I'm hoping this kind of technology can trickle down eventually to more affordable and practical projectors. Only time will tell.
post #529 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ooooo highly secret!!

Hahaha that's a good one!
Not so sure about highly secret the folks at Christie were kind enough to invite me to look at the projector, they asked me to not discuss the name, I haven't.
post #530 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 426
^^^

You would have done well in the mafia.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #531 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not so sure about highly secret the folks at Christie were kind enough to invite me to look at the projector, they asked me to not discuss the name, I haven't.
I understand, not a problem. The fact that this kind of cutting edge technology exists is what is exciting. They could name it whatever they want. It's gonna be bada$$ with whatever name they give it.

Like I mentioned before, I hope in the future Christie (or whichever company) can make a more affordable and practical projector with the same or similar performance. One can dream!
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #532 of 664 Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Furtheremore, I experienced that particular Dolby Cinema only last week and I walked out in disgust after 10 minutes and we all demanded ticket refunds, because it is the WORST Dolby Cinema that I have ever experienced. The degree of in-room lighting was so severe that I estimate less than 5,000:1 on screen contrast; plus the audio system's EQ was all out of whack. Bloody awful experience I highly recommend that anyone in the UK AVOID IT!

Well that's disappointing (that it's a crap cinema), I was thinking about making a visit next time I was back home.

So when do tickets go on sale to watch a movie at your place?
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #533 of 664 Old 01-14-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:

Sounds like the video experience I had at an AMC Dolby Cinema in Kansas City that had such terrible red light spill from the aisle lights that the entire movie had a red glow to it. My wife and I drove 4.0 hrs both ways to see it too.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #534 of 664 Old 01-14-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Art
Id name it Hyperion after the God of Light and I of course haven't even seen it yet.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #535 of 664 Old 01-14-2019, 12:33 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Sounds like the video experience I had at an AMC Dolby Cinema in Kansas City that had such terrible red light spill from the aisle lights that the entire movie had a red glow to it. My wife and I drove 4.0 hrs both ways to see it too.
That's the earlier generation of Dolby Cinemas that has the red lighting. I have been to a couple of those and they are indeed bloody awful...

...This was WORSE than that!!!!

Reddig likes this.
post #536 of 664 Old 01-14-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's the earlier generation of Dolby Cinemas that has the red lighting. I have been to a couple of those and they are indeed bloody awful...

...This was WORSE than that!!!!

Indeed. Makes you wonder why they would even instal Dolby Vision and Atmos if the end game is interior design over picture and audio quality?

post #537 of 664 Old 01-14-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 681
They installed a new complex in our area. We went on opening night and even the Dolby Engineers were on site. I was shocked that they left the lights on dim so they could serve food to people while the movie was going on.
post #538 of 664 Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
They installed a new complex in our area. We went on opening night and even the Dolby Engineers were on site. I was shocked that they left the lights on dim so they could serve food to people while the movie was going on.
That is shocking.

post #539 of 664 Old 01-14-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Ouch!

I mentioned my last Dolby Cinema experience seeing Solo. The light spill was worse than a regular theater. I was so mad that I haven't returned. Fortunately, I only had to drive fifteen minutes.
Reddig likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #540 of 664 Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 AM

You guys are ruining this all for me.

Basically it sounds like the only place to go is Art and Arrow's
Reddig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement