Christie Large Venue Demonstration - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 632Likes

post #61 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 04:54 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked: 6267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
But I mean aside from that, the 'spacial modulator' it should be able to almost completely block light on the black squares in terms of reflection off the DMD - all that should be left to pollute the ANSI pattern will be lens and light path reflections.
Gotcha. Yes theoretically the ANSI should indeed be much higher than DLP normally is. However if there is blooming that could offset this somewhat. Either way, it won't be long before I can confirm what's what in this regard

Currently sitting on the plane at London Heathrow waiting to take-off

Lygren likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

To be honest, I think I would have preferred an LCD or LCoS display to do the dimming, because that would probably have allowed much more dimming zones than this approach will.
Why is that? I would assume they are simply using another DMD, given the low volumes I'd wager its an off the shelf chip, so probably a 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 DMD - that said, I'm not sure why they can't just use another 4K chip (perhaps too much inter-pixel light spill for it to be effective for this purpose?).

Certainly another question for Art/Nigel - how many dimming zones?
post #63 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 458 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Why is that? I would assume they are simply using another DMD, given the low volumes I'd wager its an off the shelf chip, so probably a 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 DMD - that said, I'm not sure why they can't just use another 4K chip (perhaps too much inter-pixel light spill for it to be effective for this purpose?).
Yes, but they seem to use very large dithering zones. Each zone is comprised of many pixels to form a big dithering block. As a result, the local dimming resolution will be MUCH lower. I think an analog driven LCD or LCoS panel would have allowed much finer dimming zones, even up to full res!
Wookii likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
post #65 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 05:08 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
@ARROW-AV , is this the mystery processor you have been hinting at for a while? Or is that still another one?

For the Chistie/Dolby projector, do you know how many "local dimming zones" there will be?

To be honest, I think I would have preferred an LCD or LCoS display to do the dimming, because that would probably have allowed much more dimming zones than this approach will.
Nope. This should significantly outperform that. There's also some others in the pipeline too

Number of dimming zones is proprietary information.

LCoS and LCD have numerous disadvantages as compared with DLP. Extremely high ON/OFF contrast with DLP, when ON/OFF contrast is normally DLP's Achilles Heal, is like having your cake and eating it. If the measurements confirm extremely high ON/OFF and ANSI then personally IMO using DLP is absolutely the best choice. I am not sure what you'd give up by using LCoS or LCD would be less than what you'd gain. That said it boils down to the performance and measurements so let's see!

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 10-25-2018 at 05:17 AM.
post #66 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
LCoS and LCD have numerous disadvantages as compared with DLP. Extremely high ON/OFF contrast with DLP, when ON/OFF contrast is normally DLP's Achilles Heal, is like having your cake and eating it. If the measurements confirm extremely high ON/OFF and ANSI then personally IMO using DLP is absolutely the best choice. I am not sure what you'd give up by using LCoS or LCD would be less than what you'd gain. That said it boils down to the performance and measurements so let's see!
I meant using the LCD/LCoS panel *only* for local dimming, not for the RGB panels.
post #67 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Gotcha. Yes theoretically the ANSI should indeed be much higher than DLP normally is. However if there is blooming that could offset this somewhat. Either way, it won't be long before I can confirm what's what in this regard

Currently sitting on the plane at London Heathrow waiting to take-off

Have a safe trip ,see you in the morning !

Art
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #68 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
@Art Sonneborn and @ARROW-AV , could you ask about the color gamut/volume coverage? From what I recall, the theatrical Dolby projectors have the largest coverage of bt.2020 of any current display technology and it would be nice if that carried over. Also if it will decode all forms of Dolby Vision: the regular and the lite versions of Sony/Microsoft.
post #69 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3411 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
Quote:
I meant using the LCD/LCoS panel *only* for local dimming, not for the RGB panels.

I believe the original Brightside technology was with a LCD panel. Rod on the HTG's podcast mentioned using a LCD panel and they should be fairly inexpensive. IIRC he said the biggest issue with this is light output. Obviously not an issue if you are starting with this much light.

I only remember the basics about the Brightside tech. Dolby bought them in like '07 and seemed to sit on the tech for a long time. Maybe Darinp can provide some info. IIRC Brightside asked him to design a pj with their tech.
ARROW-AV likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #70 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 01:23 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
@Art Sonneborn and @ARROW-AV , could you ask about the color gamut/volume coverage? From what I recall, the theatrical Dolby projectors have the largest coverage of bt.2020 of any current display technology and it would be nice if that carried over. Also if it will decode all forms of Dolby Vision: the regular and the lite versions of Sony/Microsoft.
Already on my list

EDIT: Sorry, just reread your post... I won't be asking about gamut coverage... I will be measuring it

Also, by the way the highest coverage of BT.2020 is 6P RGB laser, which can be as high as 99 -100% of BT.2020. You can't get that high with 3P RGB laser because of the narrow wavelength of laser diodes... So with 6P laser it uses 2 different wavelengths for each of red, green, and blue and thereby achieves wider gamut coverage. However it is worth noting that this produces more speckle, however ad previously mentioned there are inexpensive effective solutions to this.

Also, regarding Dolby Vision, we already know this will decode DCP encoded Dolby Vision. What I will be finding out is whether it will decode consumer Dolby Vision over HDMI, which is a completely different kettle of fish.

puddy77 likes this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 10-25-2018 at 02:32 PM.
post #71 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 02:35 PM
We're Nuts About AV

post #72 of 664 Old 10-25-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Tick tock gents!
ARROW-AV likes this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #73 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
All Christie RGB Projectors do REC 2020, including the small 6:000-1. I was told yesterday by the Dolby Projector Guy. The Dolby Projector is now available for leasing for 100 grand a year with a large up-front deposit plus maintenance fee from Dolby. The Dolby Projector now is 6P despite one projector, the Christie is 3P.

What will be unveiled today to the lucky duo is not a Dolby Product but one that incorporates many elements of Dolby's Ip, combined I guess with HDMI functionality and other feature sets, hopefully, it has the wonderful Christie scaler with unsharp mask.

The IMS-3000 Media block is used in the Dolby Cinema version in the next 60 days gets an upgrade (A book size module with drives and connectors that inserts inside a series 2 cinema projector) the unit will be fully 4k60 rec 2020. but also support some high frame rate formats. From the Horse's mouth.
LJG likes this.
post #74 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 04:26 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Scaramanga View Post
All Christie RGB Projectors do REC 2020, including the small 6:000-1. I was told yesterday by the Dolby Projector Guy. The Dolby Projector is now available for leasing for 100 grand a year with a large up-front deposit plus maintenance fee from Dolby. The Dolby Projector now is 6P despite one projector, the Christie is 3P.

What will be unveiled today to the lucky duo is not a Dolby Product but one that incorporates many elements of Dolby's Ip, combined I guess with HDMI functionality and other feature sets, hopefully, it has the wonderful Christie scaler with unsharp mask.

The IMS-3000 Media block is used in the Dolby Cinema version in the next 60 days gets an upgrade (A book size module with drives and connectors that inserts inside a series 2 cinema projector) the unit will be fully 4k60 rec 2020. but also support some high frame rate formats. From the Horse's mouth.
Yes and no

Sure all Christie RGB projectors do BT.2020 / REC 2020, but they don't all cover 100% of the color gamut. Some (but not all) 6P RGB laser projectors can achieve this, but not 3P RGB laser. The reason is due to the narrow wavelengths of laser diodes. You need 2 diodes of difference wavelengths for each of the red, green, and blue (= 6P laser) in order to achieve 100% of BT.2020 / REC 2020

And as I already explained in my previous post, Dolby has an exclusive licensing agreement with Christie that applies only to commercial cinemas, not the domestic / home theater market; and so this is a Christie projector product

Media blocks relate to DCP and D-Cinema, so will only be relevant with respect to home theater if you plan on operating DCP media content in your home theater. This is in fact possible, and same day (or in fact sometimes the day before) general release movie content via DCP is something that can be made available to home theaters; however, at a sizeable premium cost, both for the equipment, as well as per movie title.

Also, Dolby Cinemas historically use dual projectors, not just one projector:

However, there has been some confusion within the public domain regarding this, due to the fact that in some Dolby Cinemas a singular port glass / window is used for both projectors:

TWO WINDOWS:

ONE WINDOW:

Furthermore, this is not in fact a brand new projector product by Christie that incorporates many elements of Dolby's IP; it is simply essentially the Dolby Cinema projector that has been tweaked such that it can be integrated into home theaters over HDMI and as a singular unit as opposed to the dual configuration that features within Dolby Cinemas. In fact, one of the caveats with respect to my early meetings and discussions with Christie's VP of engineering and head of product development with respect to Christie allowing this to be sold into and used within home theaters was specifically that we would not require Christie to carry out much additional R&D

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 10-26-2018 at 04:41 AM.
post #75 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 04:46 AM

I will bring the good point of pairing frequencies to do rec 2020 to the Dolby Exec, Dolby has ditched the dual projector approach for 6p they are now combined into one projector, a la cinemeccanica.
post #76 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 05:08 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Scaramanga View Post
I will bring the good point of pairing frequencies to do rec 2020 to the Dolby Exec, Dolby has ditched the dual projector approach for 6p they are now combined into one projector, a la cinemeccanica.
Singular / Dual projectors and 3P / 6P laser light sources are two completely different things.

Both of the dual projectors used historically in all Dolby Cinemas are 3P the combination 6P

And you need dual projectors in order to be able to do 3D, namely 'Dolby 3D'.

With respect to each and every of Dolby's / Christie's 6P projectors, the light source comprises a separate unit that contains a rack with banks of RGB laser diodes with two differing wavelengths for each of red, green, and blue. This is already similar as compared with Cinemeccanica.

If Dolby has indeed decided to reduce the number of projectors from dual to singular projector, then this is a new development that represents a backwards step in more ways than one. Wherein, if true, I highly doubt that all pre-existing Dolby Cinemas will be adopting this. In other words, they won't be 'ditching' their existing dual projector arrays.

I will obtain some clarification regarding this from Christie in today's meetings

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 10-26-2018 at 09:32 AM.
post #77 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Hi everyone, I'm going to do a proper writeup and post this on here later, plus Art will of course post his own feedback. But for now I'm just going to say O.M.G.!!! And also, just an initial titbit of information to whet your appetites... 2 million number local dimming zones individually for each of the red, the green, and the blue...

Ericglo and Lygren like this.
post #78 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
6 figures???
ARROW-AV likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #79 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm going to do a proper writeup and post this on here later, plus Art will of course post his own feedback. But for now I'm just going to say O.M.G.!!! And also, just an initial titbit of information to whet your appetites... 2 million number local dimming zones individually for each of the red, the green, and the blue...

Cool - so I was right, a 1920 x 1080 DMD.

Forget your proper write up Nige, give us the damn measurements man!
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #80 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3411 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
LOL, is there a couple of Sony 5000s being listed in the classifieds?
ARROW-AV likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #81 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Hey that suits me fine Eric! It's bloody freezing here in England right now too; so at least I only have to pack cold weather clothing

Not like when I visited sunny Florida a few weeks ago where I had to miraculously cram both hot and cold weather clothing into a carry-on bag, along with all my measuring and analysis equipment!

What such a difference in weather ove such a short distance. Here it has been unseasonably warm, we had 15C degrees lows. This week there has been 5 degrees over niormal highs, but wind and some rain.

As for non- nda info i was told no dolby processing involved. So ask about that? Differentmatter from dolby vision support.
post #82 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Actually 6P by definition is not 2020 compliant, due to deviating primaries, only three can by definition be at the prescribed locations, that's why the Barco only supports rec 2020 in 3P mode. The arrays in 3P projectors can be designed just as diverse as in 6P mode. There just isn't the off-set triplet of primaries. 6P comes in a few varieties. The Barco's offer two seperate videopaths. The Christie's and Dolby use two projection heads, that come with their own videopaths. These can be used for frequency off-set 3D systems like Infitec, and Dolby's version. The Cinemeccanica feeds all 6 primaries through the same fiber, and uses the single videopath offered by the base Barco cinema projector it uses in its design.

I read on the other forum that the new Christie D4K40-RGB is specified at a considerably lower 2020 area coverage, only >90%. This makes sense as it allows for more light out of the projector, at still much better colour than the Large Venue competition. Especially Laser-Phosphor that struggles to reach Rec. 709 colour space. This offers more intense greenn (remember that big Panny at Lang, Nigel) and our eyes are more perceptive to Green light so the projector will appear even brighter.

As for 1 million to one LCD monitors these are readily for sale, expensive and small though.

Actually Wookii, it may still involve 3x 4K imagers, with a 2K DMD as light modulator. But Christie has been moving away from 4K proper to pixelshifting 4K in the commercial market.
post #83 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Actually Wookii, it may still involve 3x 4K imagers, with a 2K DMD as light modulator. But Christie has been moving away from 4K proper to pixelshifting 4K in the commercial market.
Yes, they’d still need the 3x4K imaging DMD’s, that’s not what I was referring to, purely the ‘spacial modulator’ chip that provides the local dimming. For that I’d actually assume they would use three, one for each primary, as it modulates the light prior to hitting the imaging chip.
ARROW-AV and Lygren like this.
post #84 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:

If Dolby has indeed decided to reduce the number of projectors from dual to singular projector, then this is a new development that represents a backwards step in more ways than one. Wherein, if true, I highly doubt that all pre-existing Dolby Cinemas will be adopting this. In other words, they won't be 'ditching' their existing dual projector arrays.

I will obtain some clarification regarding this from Christie in today's meetings

There is nothing backward about eliminating projector stacking, if the venue is not 3D or if using the spectacular reald ultimate screen 3D, granted not a Dolby Cinema the single projector 6P solution is in my eyes QUITE AN ADVANCEMENT.

In fact what would it take for the Christie single projector unit to do 6P, the far superior colorimetry solution.

I bet the on-off blew the pants off everyone, it did at NAB 15 when this proto was shown using the Martian, I found the planet orange lacking in red, more mustardy a 6p version would improve that situation as well as possibly reduce metameric deviations and improve on eye comfort.
post #85 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
S

That would be second-hand info because when I asked who is doing this he said, we are! He implied that there are manufacturing processes going on at Dolby beyond the chassis and subcomponents Christie hands them.
post #86 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:

"O.M.G.!" Sounds like what the astronaut said in "Space Odyssey 2001"!
ARROW-AV likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #87 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2 million number local dimming zones individually for each of the red, the green, and the blue...
That's great! But that must mean they don't use dithering for dimming, anymore (as the patent paper suggested)? Or do they use a 4K chip and then do just 2x2 pixels for dithering? That would only give 16 possible brightness variations, though, so seems unlikely?
post #88 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

I will do the same just walked in from Kitchener. This is a game changing product. The blacks were so black that you couldn't make out the edge of the image that was black compared to the screen that had no image. The projector is the sharpest thing I've ever seen. 525 nits, approximately , on a 20' wide screen. the colors were mind blowing.. I wish I had more words you cold have easily read a news paper in the room from the projected image into the room.

The number of dimming zones results it essentially no blooming.. A space station in the distance blinding white on black of space you can hold your hand over it and there is no evidence around it that it exists, ANSI plus incredibly precise control of local dimming.

I'll talk more after Nigel gets his in but subjectively this thing is an order of magnitude leap. This is the first time ever IMO that we have everything ,and I mean everything, in one box.

Projection wet dream lets just get that out.

Art

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 10-26-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #89 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 97
ahh, the joy of living vicariously. thank you gentlemen.
F.Scaramanga likes this.

L + L = R
post #90 of 664 Old 10-26-2018, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I will do the same just walked in from Kitchener. This is a game changing product. The blacks were so back that you couldn't make out the edge of the image that was black compared to the screen that had no image. The projector is the sharpest thing I've ever seen. 525 nit, approximately , on a 20' wide screen. the colors were mind blowing.. I wish I had more words you cold have easily read a news paper in the room from the projected image into the room.

The number of dimming zones results it essentially no blooming.. A space station in the distance blinding white on black of space you can hold your hand over it and there is no evidence around it that it exists, ANSI plus incredibly precise control of local dimming.

I'll talk more after Nigel gets his in but subjectively this thing is an order of magnitude leap. This is the first time ever IMO that we have everything ,and I mean everything, in one box.

Projection wet dream lets just get that out.

Art

Am I the only one checking back every 20 minutes for possible updates from Nigel and Art?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
boomaxx and tnaik4 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page