Replacing McIntosh MX151. Deciding between MX160 and Lyngdorf MP50. Please help. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 01-28-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
...Heck, I even said when I installed my Trinnov and did a direct compare of 7.x.4 to what I had listened to previously (my RS20i) that with 11 speakers playing, I could hear ZERO differences (said so on my thread)...
Statement like this does make me wonder why I should go on discussing , and adds to the recommendation for "sibblings" of that Datasat RS20i, the ATI and Monoprice 9.1.6 SSP's. I applaud your honesty; just a simple note though, that in spite of your finding, (obviously) others do/may hear a difference.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 01-28-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
others do/may hear a difference.
If blind and perfectly level matched, I completely applaud them. If not, in my opinion, totally meaningless. I've tried doing blind testing with JUST 7 speakers playing. Incredibly difficult (and to my ears and others that participated, impossible) to hear differences that are more obvious with just 2. Try it sometime.
post #33 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If blind and perfectly level matched, I completely applaud them. If not, in my opinion, totally meaningless. I've tried doing blind testing with JUST 7 speakers playing. Incredibly difficult (and to my ears and others that participated, impossible) to hear differences that are more obvious with just 2. Try it sometime.
Casablanca has a mode that allows instant switch between DA conversion methods, in my case the top card Xtreme and the cheaper card Premium. This is instant A-B switch that is a step beyond what you do (the few minutes of switching decreases value of your test - audio memory is a b*** LOL). The mere tonal difference hits one in the face like a ton of bricks. I heard the same bricks switching from Krell SSP to Casablanca. Now I know why you seem to have such difficulty with the concept that the DA conversion step has major influence on sound.

Enough bantering - I still think OP should give MX160 a try. If that is unsatisfactory, my preferred second choice would be that ATI ATP-16, and not necessarily the Monoprice. Basically, wait for more information such as release date and what's inside - DA conversion, power supply, and analog stage designs (things that matter to sound) might be different between Monoprice and ATI.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 01-29-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Casablanca has a mode that allows instant switch between cards, in my case the top card Xtreme and the cheaper card Premium. Instant A-B switch that is a step beyond what you do (the few minutes of switching decreases value of your test - audio memory is a b*** LOL). The mere tonal difference hits one in the face like a ton of brick. Now I know why you seem to have such difficulty with the concept that the DA conversion step has major influence on sound.
"that is a step beyond what you do". Blatantly false. The switching was INSTANT. So please quit telling me how I conducted the tests when you have no idea. But even if you knew how the test was conducted, you would find fault.

So we all understand you are a Theta DAC lover and believe it to be so far superior to anything else that even with 16 channels playing on two different Dirac processors (e.g. Datasat vs Casablanca), your beloved Theta DACs will be clearly discernible, to at least you. Amazing!!

"Now I know why". Again, blatantly false!!
duckymomo likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 01-29-2019 at 06:18 AM.
post #35 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
The mere tonal difference hits one in the face like a ton of bricks. I heard the same bricks switching from Krell SSP to Casablanca.

Were these blind tests?

If not, your assertions are totally meaningless.

Noah
post #36 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Were these blind tests?

You are attributing that quote to the wrong person. It was Cannaga who made that quote. And I totally agree with you about the test needing to be blind. Next time, please attribute the quote to the correct person.
post #37 of 47 Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
You are attributing that quote to the wrong person. It was Cannaga who made that quote. And I totally agree with you about the test needing to be blind. Next time, please attribute the quote to the correct person.

So sorry.

Let me address my comment to the right person:

Quote:
The mere tonal difference hits one in the face like a ton of bricks. I heard the same bricks switching from Krell SSP to Casablanca.

Were these blind tests?

Noah
post #38 of 47 Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Were these blind tests?
I'm almost afraid to answer - don't know why but @audioguy seems increasingly "excitable" with each post (please calm down, really) . Anyway, I did not risk blowing my $20k SSP by re-configuring the sound cards for nothing. Allow me to expand. The key to hearing differences, **to me**, is instantaneous switch. In the Theta you could and thus comparing DACS/sound cards with just a push on remote. Of the 3 kinds of shoot-outs that I have done over the last several years (amps, preamps, cartridges, vacuum tubes (numerous times), etc.):

1. Long term ownership - then first moment of switch. For example, I owned Krell for 10 years, first switch to Classe amp was the easiest time to tell difference.
2. Blind test with time in between. The way audioguy is doing it (you cannot switch two SSP's without a time lapse) - "totally meaningless." Kidding.
3. Blind test with instantaneous switch. Best.
Number 3, the instantaneous switch, allows one to hear much easier, first, if there is a difference. And second, repeating multiple times to key in on that difference. Frequently **for me**, the sound of LF/drums, and human voice. Number 2 is worst because audio memory is fleeting. The time in between switches makes it difficult to notice a difference and to learn how to key into it. When materials are complex and loud, you're more likely to get null result (NB audioguy), and you would be wrong. All IMHO. Don't ask about MATERIALS AND METHODS please.

Unless one is extremely naive (not you) or was born yesterday, the premise of better engineering, better components resulting in better sound is not new. Table radio ---> AV Receiver ---> Separates. If someone buys separates, why? The belief of better components, better dacs, etc., leading to better sound. Basic principle so I don't know why guys get so excited that DACS could sound different. There have been 200,000 posts on this topic of blind testing, wait 500,000, so last post on topic. Let's not digress this thread further.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 01-30-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #39 of 47 Old 01-30-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@audioguy seems increasingly "excitable" with each post (please calm down, really) .
I do get excitable because you either can't read, chose not to read or continue to distort the truth and/or make ridiculous claims

Quote:
2. Blind test with time in between. The way audioguy is doing it (you cannot switch two SSP's without a time lapse) - "totally meaningless." Kidding.
If you are capable of doing so, please go re-read what I previously posted. My comparison/switching was instant (as in no delay) as in instant contrary to your inaccurate (again) highlighted statement above. What part of that do you not understand? In case you have difficulty of finding my previous statement, here it is for you:

Quote:
"that is a step beyond what you do". Blatantly false. The switching was INSTANT. So please quit telling me how I conducted the tests when you have no idea. But even if you knew how the test was conducted, you would find fault.
If you care to learn how I did the instant compare, I will let you do the research. But please do not state what I did or did not do since you were not here ... hence, you are uninformed ........ on this matter.
post #40 of 47 Old 01-30-2019, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
the OP asked for help: some posts are not helpful

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #41 of 47 Old 02-04-2019, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am considering the same - would ideally love an MX160 replacement that has HDMI 2.1 support but I don’t see any evidence that is on the horizon. If that isn’t coming soon Lyngdorf it is I guess
post #42 of 47 Old 02-05-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddmlewis View Post
I am considering the same - would ideally love an MX160 replacement that has HDMI 2.1 support but I don’t see any evidence that is on the horizon. If that isn’t coming soon Lyngdorf it is I guess
2.1 support isn't coming to the mass market AVRs until mid-late 2020. Then, you're looking at another 1-2 years for the boutique products.
Jan T likes this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4

Last edited by duckymomo; 02-05-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #43 of 47 Old 02-06-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
2.1 support isn't coming to the mass market AVRs until mid-late 2020. Then, you're looking at another 1-2 years for the boutique products.
I did get confirmation that there will be a board upgrade for MX-160 in Calendar 2019.
It will require shipping to McIntosh and will not be free....
post #44 of 47 Old 02-06-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
I did get confirmation that there will be a board upgrade for MX-160 in Calendar 2019.
The board is 2.0b, not 2.1.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #45 of 47 Old 03-13-2019, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Do you have any idea what the timeline is for this?
post #46 of 47 Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpdog View Post

FWIW and IIRC Lyngdorf says the board for the MP-50 will be available in the fall.

Noah
post #47 of 47 Old 03-14-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:

You can bypass the whole need for AVP based HDMI switching and gain a major benefit(advance display calibration abilities, auto AR control, advanced HDR auto tonemapping etc) in actual home theater installs by putting a Lumagen VP into your system. Not hard a addition to justify if you already can afford a MX160. I have had one now since mid last year and completely bypass the MX160 for video. If you're more living room style feeding a panel fair enough I guess to desire HDMI passthrough and switcing. Mind you I couldn't personally justify a high end processor in my (albeit large) living room the way I can in my dedicated HT.
markrubin likes this.
post #48 of 47 Old 05-23-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by svpdog View Post

I heard from my dealer that the next generation of this processor may be released in July. Anyone else hear this rumor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page