As We Get Older - Hearing Aids for High End Audio/Concerts & Home Theatre - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #31 of 155 Old 11-24-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
A few more articles I just found dealing with hearing aid issues re music vs speech:
https://www.healthyhearing.com/repor...h-hearing-aids
Very good thread and links. The key, surprise surprise, appears to be no different from high-end 2 channel audio: less processing and simplicity. "The results of the study showed that, in general, the less processing that occurs at the hearing aid level, the better the music sounded." Any comment from audiologist about these key features that need to be disabled? Is that how yours is setup?

1. For starters, modern hearing aids are built with a complex feedback reduction system. High frequency sounds in music, such as flute or piano, for example, will be read by the hearing aid as feedback and the hearing aid will automatically try to reduce or eliminate them. The result? Distortion. By disabling the feedback reduction system while listening to music, the music will sound clearer and more true to itself. You can re-engage the feedback reduction system when you are done listing to music.

2. Noise reduction systems are another culprit when it comes to altering the way music sounds. Hearing aids are programmed to reduce background noise, necessary to hear conversation in a noisy environment such as a restaurant or party; certain musical sounds, such as sustained chords for example, are mistaken as background noise. Disabling the noise reduction feature will allow your hearing aids to hear all of the elements of your music as music, not noise.

3. Hearing aids can also be set to amplify an extended range of lower frequencies. For speech, hearing aids need to target high frequency sounds. In music, however, it is the lower frequencies that are the most important.
Luckily, almost any pair of hearing aids can be configured with a “music setting” that disables many of the automatic functions and reduces the amount of processing that needs to occur in the hearing aids. It is important to remember to return the hearing aids to their normal setting when done listening to music.

4. At the hearing aid level, the problem stems from what is referred to as “wide dynamic range compression." A feature that works well for speech, this compression leaves moderately loud sounds untouched but amplifies softer sounds. This setting wreaks havoc on music processing. In addition, a recording technique called compression limiting can cause music to be distorted before it even reaches the hearing aids. The loud and soft sounds are squeezed together in a narrower range, increasing the perceived volume overall. By the time the hearing aid gets its turn to process the music, it has already been through so many layers of processing that distortion is inevitable.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Casablanca IVa Dirac Set Up Help HERE And some interesting audio diagrams.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 11-24-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 155 Old 11-24-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Also, any comment on in-the-ear versus behind-the-ear models?

In the ear is inherently occlusive, and seems so obvious to me to be less desirable (since it blocks natural sound and natural reception, whereas behind the ear just seems to enhance your natural reception), but no one seems to be talking about this. Am I wrong? I am no expert and have no personal experience comparing the two.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Casablanca IVa Dirac Set Up Help HERE And some interesting audio diagrams.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #33 of 155 Old 11-24-2018, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Very good thread and links. The key, surprise surprise, appears to be no different from high-end 2 channel audio: less processing and simplicity. "The results of the study showed that, in general, the less processing that occurs at the hearing aid level, the better the music sounded." Any comment from audiologist about these key features that need to be disabled? Is that how yours is setup?

3. Hearing aids can also be set to amplify an extended range of lower frequencies. For speech, hearing aids need to target high frequency sounds. In music, however, it is the lower frequencies that are the most important.
Luckily, almost any pair of hearing aids can be configured with a “music setting” that disables many of the automatic functions and reduces the amount of processing that needs to occur in the hearing aids. It is important to remember to return the hearing aids to their normal setting when done listening to music.
I am just getting going on this. However, watching some 4k movies, in particular "Skyscraper" last night, and listening to my two channel music and two live concerts so far (Rodney Crowell & Bill Cunliffe/piano trio last week, next two nights Carol Robbins Harp Jazz Quartet & Jane Monheit), I can tell you that I have lost nothing low to high with the hearing aids on, and gained all around with them on! These Phonaks with Autosense are designed to lessen processing when you listen to music, whereas in a restaurant with lots of noise they decrease background noise so one can focus much better on conversations. And no doubt my daily intermittent headaches and tinnitus have much improved as well. My Audiologist told me she was initially making some minimal adjustments and may make more when I follow up next Tuesday.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 11-24-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 155 Old 11-24-2018, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

1. For starters, modern hearing aids are built with a complex feedback reduction system. High frequency sounds in music, such as flute or piano, for example, will be read by the hearing aid as feedback and the hearing aid will automatically try to reduce or eliminate them. The result? Distortion. By disabling the feedback reduction system while listening to music, the music will sound clearer and more true to itself. You can re-engage the feedback reduction system when you are done listing to music.

High frequency sounds, mid bass on up, simply are better, clearer. Lower bass is undisturbed. I can hear cymbal metal I could never hear. I can hear drum brushes that were not or barely discernable. I can make out vocals at concert without effort. Whatever the hell Phonak and my Audiologist programming has been done has been wonderful! Especially much lesser and frequent headaches and tinnitus! And the Autosense feature does all of this automatically, you don't have to engage or re-engage, which to me is very imperative!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #35 of 155 Old 11-24-2018, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

4. At the hearing aid level, the problem stems from what is referred to as “wide dynamic range compression." A feature that works well for speech, this compression leaves moderately loud sounds untouched but amplifies softer sounds. This setting wreaks havoc on music processing. In addition, a recording technique called compression limiting can cause music to be distorted before it even reaches the hearing aids. The loud and soft sounds are squeezed together in a narrower range, increasing the perceived volume overall. By the time the hearing aid gets its turn to process the music, it has already been through so many layers of processing that distortion is inevitable.
Fortunately I am not experiencing any dynamic compression or issues you mention above, and such issues have been a plague for audiophiles with hearing aids. But apparently these Phonak Audeo B-R HAs with Autosense 2.0 as programmed by a top notch Audiologist have banished these problems for me. And the new models just coming out, the Phonak Marvel HAs with new chip and Autosense 3.0 may well be even better. I can't wait!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-19-2018 at 04:12 PM.
post #36 of 155 Old 11-24-2018, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also, any comment on in-the-ear versus behind-the-ear models?

In the ear is inherently occlusive, and seems so obvious to me to be less desirable (since it blocks natural sound and natural reception, whereas behind the ear just seems to enhance your natural reception), but no one seems to be talking about this. Am I wrong? I am no expert and have no personal experience comparing the two.
My Audiologist obviously felt as you do that in the ear would be inherently occlusive and problematic for me as an audiophile. I didn't discuss this with her but I will and I'm sure that's what she'll say. My online web sleuthing indicates this as well.

post #37 of 155 Old 11-25-2018, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

The Carol Robbins Harp Jazz Quartet last night at Tempe Center for the Arts was excellent. We were seated parallel to Carol Robbins playing her harp, maybe 12 feet away. I call this angelic jazz. With the hearing aids in (vs out) no doubt the presentation was more full bodies, higher reaching frequency, with the harp tones pulsating quite a bit better than without the hearing aids. Another unqualified success for this 'ol fogie wearing hearing aids!

post #38 of 155 Old 11-25-2018, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Good thread you started, Steve. You have been a member since 1999. I have been a member since 1998 but new account in 2001. We are old!

I went to costco and got my hearing graph. They said I was borderline and did not need it. I noticed that that was a particular drop off between 2k hz and 3khz. Of course, there was drop off above 8 khz and complete drop off at about 10 khz or so (forgot).

I did the following, which helped me hear the dialogues, clearly again.

I bought a Datasat LS10 with built in parametric equalizer. (Amazing and far superior to my Lexicon MC12). I submit that if you have hearing issues, get a Datasat LS10!

I have two electrovoice horn two way L and R. Center is an SLS Ribbon two way speaker. Their woofer was not bad but I replaced it with a JVC woofer - same as in their $20k speakers.

I lowered the SPL of L and R, significantly. I am interested only in center, for dialogue. I raised the side and rear SPL levels significantly (this gives me nice surround effects without interfering with my ability to hear the dialogue). I also put in two bose dual cubes as front side and fed them exactly the same as the center channel (yes, I know they are not audiophile but the point is, I want to be able to hear the dialuges!)

I removed the internal crossovers of the front three speakers.
I bought Ashly protea 4.8sp 4X8 processor/crossover.
I played with the parametric equalizer in the LS10. I also experimented, feeding the LS10 with a frequency generator and me being able to hear it (on amazon). I don't recall exactly how I arrived at the "ideal" parametric equalization setting but I can hear the dialogues better now.

Summary: I can hear better, thanks to the following;

1. Datasat (even without using PEQ, I could hear better with Datasat as compared to my prior, the Lexicon MC12).
2. Datasat's PEQ - play with it, modify to your personal preference. Never mind the auto equalization/calibration etc. What's the point, if you can't hear normally?
3. Discard internal cross overs of two way speakers (much more difficult to do with 3 say speakers). Protea is excellent. Sound is much more clean/clear.
4. SLS ribbon speakers help very much for audio dialogue. Again, this is NOT about, are they amazing or not.. It is about "can you hear it better now".
post #39 of 155 Old 11-26-2018, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Good thread you started, Steve. You have been a member since 1999. I have been a member since 1998 but new account in 2001. We are old!

I went to costco and got my hearing graph. They said I was borderline and did not need it. I noticed that that was a particular drop off between 2k hz and 3khz. Of course, there was drop off above 8 khz and complete drop off at about 10 khz or so (forgot).

I did the following, which helped me hear the dialogues, clearly again.

I bought a Datasat LS10 with built in parametric equalizer. (Amazing and far superior to my Lexicon MC12). I submit that if you have hearing issues, get a Datasat LS10!

I have two electrovoice horn two way L and R. Center is an SLS Ribbon two way speaker. Their woofer was not bad but I replaced it with a JVC woofer - same as in their $20k speakers.

I lowered the SPL of L and R, significantly. I am interested only in center, for dialogue. I raised the side and rear SPL levels significantly (this gives me nice surround effects without interfering with my ability to hear the dialogue). I also put in two bose dual cubes as front side and fed them exactly the same as the center channel (yes, I know they are not audiophile but the point is, I want to be able to hear the dialuges!)

I removed the internal crossovers of the front three speakers.
I bought Ashly protea 4.8sp 4X8 processor/crossover.
I played with the parametric equalizer in the LS10. I also experimented, feeding the LS10 with a frequency generator and me being able to hear it (on amazon). I don't recall exactly how I arrived at the "ideal" parametric equalization setting but I can hear the dialogues better now.

Summary: I can hear better, thanks to the following;

1. Datasat (even without using PEQ, I could hear better with Datasat as compared to my prior, the Lexicon MC12).
2. Datasat's PEQ - play with it, modify to your personal preference. Never mind the auto equalization/calibration etc. What's the point, if you can't hear normally?
3. Discard internal cross overs of two way speakers (much more difficult to do with 3 say speakers). Protea is excellent. Sound is much more clean/clear.
4. SLS ribbon speakers help very much for audio dialogue. Again, this is NOT about, are they amazing or not.. It is about "can you hear it better now".
Interesting. But of course this absent hearing aids does not improve sound at live concerts, and I go to at least two per week! And in my theater dialogue was pretty darn clear even prior to hearing aids!

post #40 of 155 Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Last night I got to hear Jane Monshein at the Phoenix Musical Instrument Museum. Jane at 41 has a powerful, often quite high pitched voice! I did find that some songs I understood her words quite well, some I didn't. Whether this is due to how she sings at times, vs whether the mixing at the concert was fine for the jazz instruments but not as helpful for vocals, I don't know. More probably that as Cannga notes above, the music mode for hearing aids may disable a lot of the processing particularly for speech so that the music comes through. Yet not even two weeks ago Rodney Crowell's vocals were clear as daylight - but Rodney has a lower pitched voice, whereas Jane has a very high pitched voice much of the time! I will discuss this when I see my Audiologist this Wednesday! Once again the music itself was clearly better, more well rounded/3D, I could hear drum rolls and cymbals much better, etc like I've discussed before.

post #41 of 155 Old 11-26-2018, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 1812
Quote:
Last night I got to hear Jane Monshein at the Phoenix Musical Instrument Museum. Jane at 41 has a powerful, often quite high pitched voice! I did find that some songs I understood her words quite well, some I didn't. Whether this is due to how she sings at times, vs whether the mixing at the concert was fine for the jazz instruments but not as helpful for vocals, I don't know. More probably that as Cannga notes above, the music mode for hearing aids may disable a lot of the processing particularly for speech so that the music comes through. Yet not even two weeks ago Rodney Crowell's vocals were clear as daylight - but Rodney has a lower pitched voice, whereas Jane has a very high pitched voice much of the time! I will discuss this when I see my Audiologist this Wednesday! Once again the music itself was clearly better, more well rounded/3D, I could hear drum rolls and cymbals much better, etc like I've discussed before.

You will notice that speech nuance with women ,including the ability to distinguish one from another ,is lost much earlier than men's voices.

Art
post #42 of 155 Old 11-26-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My father was an audiophile and avid concertgoer all of his life. When his hearing started going downhill in his mid/late 60s, he was very upset. His audiologist was able to find him an “ audiophile” hearing aid. Unfortunately I can’t remember the manufacturer but do recall them costing him around $5k. This was about 7 years ago so might be a lot cheaper now. They made a significant improvement and he could fully enjoy music again.
post #43 of 155 Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Not sure if this is too off topic, but I thought of this article after reading this thread. Fingers crossed that it's ready for me once I hit my 60's. (Or sooner. O_o)

Possible new therapy for hearing loss:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/...ring-loss.aspx
post #44 of 155 Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
My gut from the bit I could read on the web is that the Marvel with a faster more powerful chip and newer software with the third version of Autosense (Autosense 3.0) may be even better for hearing sound in 360 degrees with higher frequency extension...
Can you remember why you might think that? I ready everything at the Phonak site on the Marvel and I saw zero mention of freq response.

Quote:
Whatever the hell Phonak and my Audiologist programming has been done has been wonderful! Especially much lesser and frequent headaches and tinnitus! And the Autosense feature does all of this automatically, you don't have to engage or re-engage, which to me is very imperative!

Any idea what "programming" means for music listening use other than turning off all superfluous processing?

Does your audiologist even understand what freq response is? The one I had at Kaiser didn't, and I couldn't tell whether the one at Costco could or not.

Even if they did, not sure what they could do because of the coarseness of audiograms; mine has only 8 points between the 250 Hz and 8kHz endpoints.

What would be nice for us is to let us listen to freq sweeps and use parametric EQ to render a smooth response, then use the inverse of that to program the response of our HA's.

Also, in case you weren't aware, note that audiograms measure threshold response, i.e. the softness sounds we can hear at different freq, whereas we'd want the above done at normal listening SPL.

Noah
post #45 of 155 Old 11-26-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Now that would be awesome!

Noah
post #46 of 155 Old 11-26-2018, 11:25 PM

When I first investigated HA's a couple of years ago and asked about HA's for audiophiles, several people mentioned Bernafons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter_29 View Post
My father was an audiophile and avid concertgoer all of his life. When his hearing started going downhill in his mid/late 60s, he was very upset. His audiologist was able to find him an “ audiophile” hearing aid. Unfortunately I can’t remember the manufacturer but do recall them costing him around $5k. This was about 7 years ago so might be a lot cheaper now. They made a significant improvement and he could fully enjoy music again.

Noah
post #47 of 155 Old 11-26-2018, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not sure if this is too off topic, but I thought of this article after reading this thread. Fingers crossed that it's ready for me once I hit my 60's. (Or sooner. O_o)

Yes I can’t wait for Viagra’s sister drug “Hearagra” becomes available!
audioguy, chirpie and thezaks like this.

post #48 of 155 Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Yes I can’t wait for Viagra’s sister drug “Hearagra” becomes available!
"If hearing extends beyond 30,000hz for more than 4 hours, please contact your doctor."
markrubin, thezaks and Matt2026 like this.
post #49 of 155 Old 11-27-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
When I first investigated HA's a couple of years ago and asked about HA's for audiophiles, several people mentioned Bernafons.
Those are the ones. Looks like they are more expensive now ($7k). I guess it followas the pricing model of all high-end gear . They really did make a huge difference for him.
post #50 of 155 Old 11-28-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 129
How much break in is needed for HA's to sound their best?

Dave
post #51 of 155 Old 11-28-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
How much break in is needed for HA's to sound their best?

Dave
Hearing aids themselves do not need a break in. Its your ears that needs to get used to the hearing aid. Different hearing aids will sound different as some have better background/feedback noise cancellation.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120" screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M | Funk Audio subs | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson Tech MAs | Surgex XR 315 | GIK room treatment

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8 |
post #52 of 155 Old 11-28-2018, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Hearing aids themselves do not need a break in. Its your ears that needs to get used to the hearing aid. Different hearing aids will sound different as some have better background/feedback noise cancellation.
Yes, as I have noted in this thread, at times over 10-20 minutes, or even an hour, depending upon what movie or music I'm listening too, I can hear the sound improve. But this has been a few times, not all the time by any means. E.G., when I listened to a harp ripped SACD, first time I started getting a headache as I noticed much more vibration and better sonics, as harp is high pitched. A few days later I listened to it with HAs engaged and all was fine!
ereed likes this.

post #53 of 155 Old 11-28-2018, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Saw my Audiologist again today. My demo Phonak Audeo B-R hearing aids had been set for me as a beginner - today she set them to use full range correction. Should be interesting. Follow up in two weeks. She's interested in my "observations" and then she wants me to try a pair of Russound hearing aids with auto features including music! She confirmed pricing will be very competitive but I won't go into detail any more than that.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-19-2018 at 04:14 PM.
post #54 of 155 Old 11-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
He admitted Costco is a "volume" hearing aid seller - you come in for the exam, they can give you some demos to try, and then if you buy the setup once and that's it. No further adjustments re your concerns.
I bought my hearing aids from Costco and that’s not my experience at all. In fact, I was informed the same as on their website:

Quote:
Free hearing tests
Free follow up appointments
Free hearing aid cleanings and check-ups
I have been back once and there was never a question as to whether there was any charge for the follow-up visit. There was none. I was told that I could get a test annually and follow up visits free for as long as I was a Costco member, even ten or twenty years!

I went to a certified degreed audiologist and was treated poorly. I decided, after that to pay half the price and get treated no worse at Costco. I have been very happy with the result.

I am skeptical that a person with a mild to moderate hearing loss requires complicated, feature rich $4000+ hearing aids.

I understand that it is disheartening to listen to a multi-thousand dollar system with $1600 hearing aids, but, to me, it comes down to whether I want to hear roughly 80% as well as I did when I was young, with hearing aids, or 40% without.

As well, with my hearing aids in place, I am not at all bothered by tinnitus. When I take them out to go to sleep at night, the hissing is quite disturbing.
post #55 of 155 Old 11-28-2018, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Below is my Audiologist hearing test results - what they call mild to moderate hearing loss, but which I have been finding out has a significant effect pa particularly on music, especially live music concerts that I go to a lot. Blue is left ear, red is right ear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Audiology Test.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2488868  

post #56 of 155 Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
I bought my hearing aids from Costco and that’s not my experience at all. In fact, I was informed the same as on their website:

I understand that it is disheartening to listen to a multi-thousand dollar system with $1600 hearing aids, but, to me, it comes down to whether I want to hear roughly 80% as well as I did when I was young, with hearing aids, or 40% without.

As well, with my hearing aids in place, I am not at all bothered by tinnitus. When I take them out to go to sleep at night, the hissing is quite disturbing.
I am lucky I guess that my "whoosing" sounding tinnitus is only when I watch tv/movies or listen to music, not when I sleep with hearing aids out. But my tinnitus has been greatly improved in the two weeks of hearing aids.

post #57 of 155 Old 11-28-2018, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili555 View Post

I am skeptical that a person with a mild to moderate hearing loss requires complicated, feature rich $4000+ hearing aids.
Its ok to be skeptical. I've had a 2 week demo of Phonak Audeo B-R, as that's the demo. The Audiologist when I come in reviews how many hours I've used them each day and what features and programs have been used and how long for each. This helps determine which model she will eventually recommend. Fo the first 2 weeks, she did minimal adjustments to correct my frequency response, as I am a beginner. Today she did the full normal adjustment to correct my frequency response. In another 2 weeks she wants to try me on some Resound hearing aids. She believes these suit me best. After completing the demo I we will discuss the models, the features I use, and I will decide. But let me tell you the pricing we discussed for the top line, if I decide I want that, for both Phonak or Resound is simply not that much more than Costco's most expensive hearing aids, in the range of $2700 or so per pair. And at least I researched that the Phonaks sold by Costco currently are a model/chip behind for Phonak, and perhaps this may be the case for other non-Kirkland hearing aids as well.

Like anything in the audiophile conundrum - whatever makes one happy! And whatever one thinks its worthwhile to afford given cost benefits and negotiation of price. I simply started this thread to give my own contribution and journey, and its great that folks contribute even if they may think I am grossly overspending or an idiot! HA! (I have a hard head!)

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-19-2018 at 04:15 PM.
post #58 of 155 Old 11-30-2018, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Now that my Audiologist last Tuesday "opened up" the frequency correction of my demo Phonaks to fully correct my mild to moderate hearing loss (as opposed to a beginner's milder correction before), all I can say is - WOW!

First little things. Watched a tv show and sound seemed perhaps more open and better than before (comparing to the beginners correction before). I say perhaps. What I really noticed is I turned on my Sony VW5000 projector and heard a high pitched whirring I had never heard before. I thought gee I'm hearing too much gonna have to have the Audiologist turn it down. Fortunately, after a minute or two the high pitch went away, guess it was on startup for a bit. Wore these the past two days and tonight time for some music ! And here's the WOW! This full range frequency correction heck I dig it totally! Music is jumping at me with everything, its like I had an ear/brain transplant! HA! Two channel improvement is marked vs the beginners correction, which was a nice improvement vs no hearing aids.

Tonight listening to music, its like I'm in a whole new world!

When I next see my Audiologist she wants me to demo Resound. She is very interested in my feedback and personal perception as an audiophile. I have started to read up on Resound and interesting including 116 dB dynamics and frequncy correction to 9.5 kHZ.
https://www.resoundpro.com/en-US/hea.../sound-quality

Though I am happy as a camper right now! Even though the Phonaks only have frequency extension to 8 kHz!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 11-30-2018 at 12:27 AM.
post #59 of 155 Old 11-30-2018, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I heard they may do a phallic to inner ear hair transplant because phallic hair is the most sensory and feeling and active!

post #60 of 155 Old 11-30-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Tonight listening to music, its like I'm in a whole new world!

That reminds me of what happened when I went out into the parking lot after getting my HA's.

My universe expanded - there was a huge feeling of space from hearing hearing distant echos of street sounds, leaves rustling in trees, etc.

I'm very interested to hear your impressions of the Resounds and how much difference the extra 1.5 kHz makes (if any, it's just a fraction of an octave).

Does your audiologist carry Bernafon?

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page