As We Get Older - Hearing Aids for High End Audio/Concerts & Home Theatre - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #91 of 156 Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 676
I'm wondering if I could just improvise a new target curve for my HT so I wouldn't need anything between my loudspeakers and ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 156 Old 12-19-2018, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 915
As of today I am now demoing the Oticon OPN-1 HAs. Speced at 113 dB dynamic range and 9.5 kHz frequency extension. This will be interesting.
mikela likes this.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-20-2018 at 05:32 AM.
post #93 of 156 Old 12-19-2018, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
As of today I am now demoing the Oticon UPN HAs. Speced at 113 dB dynamic range and 0.5 kHz frequency extension. This will be interesting.
I don't think you mean 0.5?

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 156 Old 12-19-2018, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I don't think you mean 0.5?
Thanks. I edited and fixed it.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #95 of 156 Old 12-23-2018, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting info on hearing aids for musicians and audiophiles!

http://www.marshallchasinassociates....g_articles.htm
noah katz and mikela like this.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-23-2018 at 08:49 PM.
post #96 of 156 Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

How a virus may restore your inner ear hair and hearing!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/amp/323925
noah katz likes this.

post #97 of 156 Old 12-26-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
FWIW:

I grew up in L.A., and from my teens thru my 20s spent waaaaayy too much of my time in clubs and at concerts, all with punishingly loud (some ear-bleed) sound levels. I was, however, somehow smart enough to be fiercely protective of my hearing from the very beginning: right before going into any club/concert, I would tear a 1" wide strip off a square of toilet paper and tightly pack one in each ear. Everything was pleasantly muffled. Sometimes not that easy to hear people talking, though....

I went to the Chinese theater in Hollywood a couple of times recently where the previews were ear-shatteringly loud. I quickly made a beeline for the restroom to make my earplugs; with them in the sound was just right. I marveled, though, at how it didn't seem to bother anyone else in the theater, or if it did how they just put up with it. Didn't see anyone with their fingers in their ears.

Anyway, I haven't had my hearing tested lately, but a few years ago I was able to hear a 'mosquito' ringtone on a cellphone, so I think my hearing's pretty good. An ounce of prevention.....

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
post #98 of 156 Old 12-27-2018, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I think my hearing may have changed a bit in the positive direction even without hearing aids recently. In listening to test tones, 8 kHz was perhaps about half of 6 kHz, and I couldn't hear 10 kHz. Now, 8 kHz is closer to 6 kHz, and I can hear 10 kHz at abut half of 8 or 6 kHz. Why?

I think I know the answer. It will surprise you. I was just hospitalized from Thursday - Monday for a ruptured appendix. A drain was inserted, appendix not removed yet, the abdominal bugs identified and IV antibiotics given. Since hospital release, I report daily for a dose of IV antibiotics. I follow up with doctors (Infectious Disease, General Surgeon, Primary Care). The drain will be removed AFTER the CT scan confirms all the gook is gone from my abdomen AND lab work confirms infection eradicated. Here's the catch. I think my appendix ruptured like 18 months ago. This is when I moved all components off three racks, moved racks away from the wall, and my custom installer installed my in ceiling Dolby Atmos/DTS-X speakers. Install completed Thursday. Friday I put everything back. An hour or two later, I got real sick, nausea, throwing up, with abdominal pain moving over to right side, next to my right hip replacement, severely. I laid in bed and couldn't move, the pain was so bad with any movement. I got up in the morning maybe 50% better, and as I got out of bed, I had a terribly painful muscle spasm at the right upper thigh, I could see the muscle spasming and moving down the right upper leg. I assumed I did too much physical activity, and in a few days I was fully recovered. Over the next 18 months, I had occasional (about every several months) flareups of some pain at right abdomen which went away in a few days. My family doctor a few times wrote this off as muscle spasm (I'm ditching him for sure, he never ordered tests, and 10 days ago saw me and did nothing). About two weeks ago symptoms came back and did not go away, hence I ended up in the ER last Thursday. By the way, when I initially reported to the ER, my temperature and blood pressure were in normal range. The ER doctor said she had seen this once before, where the patient was very strong and walled off and controlled the infection from a burst appendix for some time! For some time I have had some headaches daily, particularly watching movies/tv or reading. Since they administered antibiotics in the hospital, the headaches have practically disappeared. Right now I feel better than ever! But I surmise this may have affected my hearing at least some.

I will continue to demo hearing aids, and when I select a pair to buy, I will ask my Audiologist to give me a new hearing test first, to see if the results differ from earlier at all, and then to program the hearing aids for my then current hearing loss!

I am wondering if I should be in Ripley's Believe It Or Not! However, I can only surmise when my appendix ruptured, I don't have actual medical proof!
Matt2026 likes this.

post #99 of 156 Old 12-27-2018, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I think my hearing may have changed a bit in the positive direction even without hearing aids recently. In listening to test tones, 8 kHz was perhaps about half of 6 kHz, and I couldn't hear 10 kHz. Now, 8 kHz is closer to 6 kHz, and I can hear 10 kHz at abut half of 8 or 6 kHz. Why?

I think I know the answer. It will surprise you. I was just hospitalized from Thursday - Monday for a ruptured appendix. A drain was inserted, appendix not removed yet, the abdominal bugs identified and IV antibiotics given. Since hospital release, I report daily for a dose of IV antibiotics. I follow up with doctors (Infectious Disease, General Surgeon, Primary Care). The drain will be removed AFTER the CT scan confirms all the gook is gone from my abdomen AND lab work confirms infection eradicated. Here's the catch. I think my appendix ruptured like 18 months ago. This is when I moved all components off three racks, moved racks away from the wall, and my custom installer installed my in ceiling Dolby Atmos/DTS-X speakers. Install completed Thursday. Friday I put everything back. An hour or two later, I got real sick, nausea, throwing up, with abdominal pain moving over to right side, next to my right hip replacement, severely. I laid in bed and couldn't move, the pain was so bad with any movement. I got up in the morning maybe 50% better, and as I got out of bed, I had a terribly painful muscle spasm at the right upper thigh, I could see the muscle spasming and moving down the right upper leg. I assumed I did too much physical activity, and in a few days I was fully recovered. Over the next 18 months, I had occasional (about every several months) flareups of some pain at right abdomen which went away in a few days. My family doctor a few times wrote this off as muscle spasm (I'm ditching him for sure, he never ordered tests, and 10 days ago saw me and did nothing). About two weeks ago symptoms came back and did not go away, hence I ended up in the ER last Thursday. By the way, when I initially reported to the ER, my temperature and blood pressure were in normal range. The ER doctor said she had seen this once before, where the patient was very strong and walled off and controlled the infection from a burst appendix for some time! For some time I have had some headaches daily, particularly watching movies/tv or reading. Since they administered antibiotics in the hospital, the headaches have practically disappeared. Right now I feel better than ever! But I surmise this may have affected my hearing at least some.

I will continue to demo hearing aids, and when I select a pair to buy, I will ask my Audiologist to give me a new hearing test first, to see if the results differ from earlier at all, and then to program the hearing aids for my then current hearing loss!

I am wondering if I should be in Ripley's Believe It Or Not! However, I can only surmise when my appendix ruptured, I don't have actual medical proof!
Not that uncommon. The body has a way of protecting itself and in such a case most likely caused a loculation and walling off of the infected area. Many people can walk around for some time without realizing their precarious position. That infection could have easily seeded upwards into the liver causing hepatic abscesses a potentially fatal disease if not caught early. They probably put you on a high dose of Rocephin and flagyl which would cover the usual players. That said, considering your symptoms I would have ordered an ultrasound early on which is noninvasive with no radiation plus if you experienced pain when they were pushing on the area this would have alerted us to do a further workup. Months later when you were feeling fine bloodwork would have essentially come back normal. Glad you're feeling better. Happy New Year!!!
post #100 of 156 Old 12-27-2018, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post
Not that uncommon. The body has a way of protecting itself and in such a case most likely caused a loculation and walling off of the infected area. Many people can walk around for some time without realizing their precarious position. That infection could have easily seeded upwards into the liver causing hepatic abscesses a potentially fatal disease if not caught early. They probably put you on a high dose of Rocephin and flagyl which would cover the usual players. That said, considering your symptoms I would have ordered an ultrasound early on which is noninvasive with no radiation plus if you experienced pain when they were pushing on the area this would have alerted us to do a further workup. Months later when you were feeling fine bloodwork would have essentially come back normal. Glad you're feeling better. Happy New Year!!!
Yes - Within weeks after the first bout I saw my family doctor and mentioned this and he did nothing! Fortunately all seems to be well and my surgeon took out the drain this afternoon!!!!

Now, back to hearing aids, or adverse health affecting hearing as well!

post #101 of 156 Old 01-01-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I'll be on siesta from demoing hearing aids for a bit. Due to my appendix rupture, I'm on IV antibiotics at the hospital daily, and info is they can adversely affect hearing (hopefully only temporarily). So until I'm recovered (I hope) and off antibiotics no sense in further demoing - then I will continue. The 3rd company demo recently has been Opticon OPN-1 and so far not impressed, but again, who knows, as I've been on these antibiotics. Hopefully can resume this quest in a few weeks!

post #102 of 156 Old 01-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
unfortunately hearing loss from all kinds of medications including antibiotics, chemotherapy and many others such as plain old aspirin can be temporary/reversible or irreversible and may occur during treatment or some time well after treatment. Fortunately you have a baseline with your hearing tests before treatment so you should repeat the hearing test during treatment and afterwards to determine if you're developing a problem.
post #103 of 156 Old 01-01-2019, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Absolutely agree with the above. Years back surgeons would give gentamicin for GI infections and this is a well known ototoxic agent. Hope you're better shortly and can resume your HA research. We're all ears.
post #104 of 156 Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Steve, good luck with your treatment, and I'll look forward to your continuing exploits.
markrubin likes this.

Noah
post #105 of 156 Old 01-09-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I am doing great and hopefully will have a clear bill of heatlh, from my ruptured appendix, in a few days, then in a few weeks have the appendix removed laparoscopically. Meanwhile, been on one oral and different IV antiobiotics at outpatient hospital daily, and this will hopefully be done in a few days.
But an interesting effect of all this is that a few months ago when I had my hearing tested, test tones 8 kHz not near as loud as 6 kHz, and I couldn't hear
10 kHz or above at all. Now, I can hear 8 kHz pretty clearly, and 10 kHz not bad, nothing above. As I mentioned previously in this thread, now in looking back symptomwise I think my appendix actually ruptured some months ago, and it "sounds" like this may have negatively impacted my hearing. I was concerned about one IV antibiotic I had for like 5 days which could impact hearing - but no longer, my hearing without hearing aids seems really good now (at least compared to the past few months before this ruptured appendix antibiotic regimen). The last hearing aids I demod, Oticon OPN, didn't seem to do much for me. But who knows what did what for me given the appendix issues! When I am fully recovered I will have my hearing retested and then continue the quest of what my hearing loss is and to extent any hearing aids will improve it sufficiently to be worth my $$. So far, I really like the Phonak, but again, given what I've been going through, I need to fully recover and then start the process over!

post #106 of 156 Old 02-04-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Update: I'm more than 6 weeks out from my IV antiobiotics for my ruptured appendix, IVs started Dec 20 and ended Jan 10! Subjectively my hearing now seems the best I can ever remember, at live concerts and for two channel and movies/tv in my theater. Not just in terms of frequency, but also re dynamic range, gunshots, explosions, etc. Unquestionably my illness had negatively affected my hearing for sometime.

My repeat abdominal CT scan will be start of March, then see surgeon and hopefully schedule laparoscopic surgery to remove appendix. Then once I recover I'll follow up and get my hearing retested. Will be interesting to compare with my prior hearing test some months ago when led to me demoing hearing aids!
Matt2026 likes this.

post #107 of 156 Old 03-08-2019, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Update: I'm more than 6 weeks out from my IV antiobiotics for my ruptured appendix, IVs started Dec 20 and ended Jan 10! Subjectively my hearing now seems the best I can ever remember, at live concerts and for two channel and movies/tv in my theater. Not just in terms of frequency, but also re dynamic range, gunshots, explosions, etc. Unquestionably my illness had negatively affected my hearing for sometime.

My repeat abdominal CT scan will be start of March, then see surgeon and hopefully schedule laparoscopic surgery to remove appendix. Then once I recover I'll follow up and get my hearing retested. Will be interesting to compare with my prior hearing test some months ago when led to me demoing hearing aids!
CT scan clear, full bill of health, appendix with tiny hole looks normal and don't require surgery to remove. YEA!

What's really intriquing is after being on antibiotics awhile, my hearing cleared up and got better. No question about it. I play test tones from a hi rez 2XHD demo disc. Last few months of last year, without hearing aids I couldn't hear 10 kHz and maybe 50% 8 kHz at best. Now, I can hear up to 12.5 kHz though it may be reduced some. Though with the Theta Casablanca IV-A with Dirac room correction my best recently was 10 kHz, now with Trinnov Altitude 32 just installed and superior room correction, etc I can hear 12.5 kHz! I am going to see my Audiologist and get my hearing retested in a few weeks and I anticipate that my hearing is much improved and really doubt hearing aids will give me benefit now - whereas last November, I demod Phonak hearing aids and at that time I could hear the difference both with music in my theatre and at live concerts locally.

post #108 of 156 Old 03-09-2019, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad to hear the good news on your health. Keep us posted.

Dave

post #109 of 156 Old 03-12-2019, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3746 Post(s)
Liked: 953
@Steve Bruzonsky - Thanks so much for putting this thread together and reporting all your observations! I stumbled on this thread and am fascinated! I have moderate hearing loss, particularly in my right ear. I've never tried a hearing aid of any kind. My family has been slightly nudging me to do something about my hearing. I can hear them fine most of the time. I explain its best not to try talking to me from another room!

Anyway, I had always thought that a hearing aid, even very high end ones, would help me hear speech better, but assumed it would make the sound a bit "tinny" and sound like it was "amplified" and or in a tunnel. From what you describe you get a full bandwidth improvement that is significantly better than without them? Wow I would never have imagined that!

Some questions please:

1. You seem to have tried various ones and reported good results with several. Strictly for music and movie listening (we have to have our priorities, right?!), and putting price completely aside, do you prefer the Phoank or the ReSound?

2. Do you think its necessary to spend some time in beginner mode or should I request they go straight to full spectrum?

3. What advice do you have for finding the best/right audiologist in my area that is going to understand my needs as an audiophile? I assume I won't find that listed in anyone's online bio. So I could easily wind up making an appointment only to meet the audiologist and realize they don't "get it" for what I'm trying to accomplish and then its a wasted appointment and $.

4. Did you ever mange to try the new Phoank Marvel and if so what were your impressions? Do you think it is worth me seeking those out from the start, again, putting cost aside? If I can't find the Marvel, how can I be sure I am getting Autosense 2.0?

Thanks again. I'm finally motivated to get a hearing aid. Even if I just keep it in the armrest in my theater. (just kidding, kinda)
post #110 of 156 Old 03-12-2019, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
@Steve Bruzonsky - Thanks so much for putting this thread together and reporting all your observations! I stumbled on this thread and am fascinated! I have moderate hearing loss, particularly in my right ear. I've never tried a hearing aid of any kind. My family has been slightly nudging me to do something about my hearing. I can hear them fine most of the time. I explain its best not to try talking to me from another room!

Anyway, I had always thought that a hearing aid, even very high end ones, would help me hear speech better, but assumed it would make the sound a bit "tinny" and sound like it was "amplified" and or in a tunnel. From what you describe you get a full bandwidth improvement that is significantly better than without them? Wow I would never have imagined that!

Some questions please:

1. You seem to have tried various ones and reported good results with several. Strictly for music and movie listening (we have to have our priorities, right?!), and putting price completely aside, do you prefer the Phoank or the ReSound?

Answer: I preferred the Phonak easily. But again, now I know I was sick at the time, not hearing well at all I think compared to now, and whatever hearing issue I have or had may be different than yours.

2. Do you think its necessary to spend some time in beginner mode or should I request they go straight to full spectrum?

Answer: My Audiologist set the Phonaks to a beginner mode for two weeks for me to get used to them, then I came back and she set them to full correction, which didn't bother me a bit.

3. What advice do you have for finding the best/right audiologist in my area that is going to understand my needs as an audiophile? I assume I won't find that listed in anyone's online bio. So I could easily wind up making an appointment only to meet the audiologist and realize they don't "get it" for what I'm trying to accomplish and then its a wasted appointment and $.

Answer: I got lucky! No idea! However, Google "San Francisco (or Bay Area) Audio Society" and you will find info on a presentation last year by an audiophile Audiologist and take a vacation. HA!

4. Did you ever mange to try the new Phoank Marvel and if so what were your impressions? Do you think it is worth me seeking those out from the start, again, putting cost aside? If I can't find the Marvel, how can I be sure I am getting Autosense 2.0?

Answer: I was going to get the Marvel, but then my appendix burst and I discovered after weeks of IV antibiotics that my hearing is much better now. The model I demod has Autosense 2.0. The brand new Marvel has Autosense 3.0.

Thanks again. I'm finally motivated to get a hearing aid. Even if I just keep it in the armrest in my theater. (just kidding, kinda)
In about two weeks my hearing is being retested. Stay tuned! Meanwhile, with my new Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP play some test tones via ROON, I can hear 12.5 kHz now. Apparently the superior optimization/room correction gives me higher hearing. HA! With my prior SSP via ROON I could hear recently 10 kHz. The next test tone is at 16 kHz can't hear that. So I have sincere doubts that hearing aids, even the best, will do anything for me at this point - I am lucky I can hear better again and that I fully recovered instead of dieing at age 65 from a burst appendix!

post #111 of 156 Old 03-12-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In about two weeks my hearing is being retested. Stay tuned! Meanwhile, with my new Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP play some test tones via ROON, I can hear 12.5 kHz now. Apparently the superior optimization/room correction gives me higher hearing. HA! With my prior SSP via ROON I could hear recently 10 kHz. The next test tone is at 16 kHz can't hear that. So I have sincere doubts that hearing aids, even the best, will do anything for me at this point - I am lucky I can hear better again and that I fully recovered instead of dieing at age 65 from a burst appendix!
Hi Steve: Quick question: How do you play test tones through Roon?

Dave

post #112 of 156 Old 03-12-2019, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Steve: Quick question: How do you play test tones through Roon?
Either rip or buy online an album with test tones!

http://www.hdtracks.com/audiophile-hi-res-system-test

Although I need to go through my albums because the above album goes from 12.5 kHz to 16 kHz, and now that I can hear 12.5 kHz, I'd like to "see" if I can hear in my own system higher. It could be that one of my other albums has these test tones as I've accumulated a number of these test cds over the years. Also, if you have headphones in your system, that will be more accurate, because the room can affect what can hear, too. My trust 'ol Theta Casablanca IV-A SSP permitted me recently to hear 10 kHz, but my new Trinnov Altitude 16 with its advanced optimization/room correction and speaker 3D remapping now permits me to hear that 12.5 kHz tone!

post #113 of 156 Old 03-12-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Either rip or buy online an album with test tones!

http://www.hdtracks.com/audiophile-hi-res-system-test

Although I need to go through my albums because the above album goes from 12.5 kHz to 16 kHz, and now that I can hear 12.5 kHz, I'd like to "see" if I can hear in my own system higher. It could be that one of my other albums has these test tones as I've accumulated a number of these test cds over the years. Also, if you have headphones in your system, that will be more accurate, because the room can affect what can hear, too. My trust 'ol Theta Casablanca IV-A SSP permitted me recently to hear 10 kHz, but my new Trinnov Altitude 16 with its advanced optimization/room correction and speaker 3D remapping now permits me to hear that 12.5 kHz tone!
OK, thank you, Steve. So with this albums, you can see on your display what frequency tone is playing< like it was an individual track?

Dave

post #114 of 156 Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, thank you, Steve. So with this albums, you can see on your display what frequency tone is playing< like it was an individual track?
yes

post #115 of 156 Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 849
or just use an online tone generator:

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Noah
post #116 of 156 Old 03-13-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
or just use an online tone generator:

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
This online tone generator allows you to download WAV files so you can play them in your music server.

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiofreq...r_sinetone.php

post #117 of 156 Old 03-27-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

My Audiologist office repeated my hearing test today - now that I am fully recovered from my ruptured appendix and my immunity is back up to normal. I swear I hear better these days than the last few months of last year when I demod hearing aids back when my appendix was bothering me although I didn't realize it for some time! And with my old Theta Casablanca IV-A SSP I could only hear test tone 8 kHz roughly about half of 6 kHz and I couldn't hear 10 kHz, yet after getting out of hospital and being on IV antibiotics for several weeks and recovering I could hear up to and including 10 kHz pretty good - and with new Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP I can even hear pretty good a 12.5 kHz test tones. Yet hearing tests measure to 8 kHz. And my hearing test today came out about the same just a tad different than my one last November. So I have an appointment with the Audiologist April 11th and will then demo the new model Phonak Marvel hearing aids. Should be interesting.

post #118 of 156 Old 04-17-2019, 09:47 AM
MovieBuff

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Audiologist has recommended a unilateral aid (often called a hearing instrument nowadays) due to a rather unusual hearing loss following injury related to a ruptured tire. It has been over two years since the injury. The tinnitus has resolved but I am left with a significant mid-frequency loss on top of the not uncommon high frequency loss for a male my age (66). She is recommending the Oticon S1 and I am hoping it helps and also does not do anything negative to my 2 Channel and home theatre enjoyment. It does look like there is lots of adjustment possible. I am actually looking forward to see what it can do for me.

Poking around the internet I found another interesting and helpful website from the UK - https://musicandhearingaids.org. It is an ongoing research project into the complex relationship of music listening and hearing impairment/hearing aids. There are some excellent links and downloads available in the resources section that I thought some of you may be interested in. I did share this site with my audiologist who will also be checking it out.

I am due to start my trial period next week and will advise in a few weeks how it is going.

Regards,

Wayne
noah katz likes this.

Last edited by drhemi; 04-17-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #119 of 156 Old 04-17-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Interesting thread, my wife keeps pushing me to get my hearing checked, I'm 45 and all the hearing tests online I've ever taken I can clearly hear to 11k and even up to 14k sometimes. Depends on the online test which obviously is not 100% accurate. My wife thinks I'm going deaf but realistically she mumbles to much. After reading this thread and now understanding hearing aids are going to hit 6-8Khz which I hear fine on I think she'll be disappointed.

I know I can't hear as well as I did as a teen but can still hear fairly high freq sounds when listening to music. My only potential issue is multiple people talking or someone talking with a lot of background noise I'll hear small detail in the background noise over the person talking.

Last edited by swanlee; 04-17-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #120 of 156 Old 04-17-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
My only potential issue is multiple people talking or someone talking with a lot of background noise I'll hear small detail in the background noise over the person talking.
Yes - this is where I had issues and my first Phonak hearing aid demo really helped on this among other things.

Just saw my Audiologist this AM and have the new Phonak Marvel rechargeable hearing aids on demo for 2 weeks. Whether they are helpful and worth the expense to me is to be determined! I'll update of course.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page