As We Get Older - Hearing Aids for High End Audio/Concerts & Home Theatre - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #151 of 155 Old 12-31-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1715 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
My opinion is much different. The Casablanca really is just much more musical. The finesse was there when playing Miles Davis, "Sketches of Spain," but the Casablanca can show that it can "shake it's azz" with Beyoncé too, lively and dynamic. I just find it much more natural sounding in stereo than Trinnov. IMO, the Casablanca is really still the processor for those who prefer music first. If you had an HTPC, I'd tell you to try, https://www.asus.com/us/Sound-Cards/Essence_STX_II/ . It sounds better than Trinnov in stereo. It is actually using better dacs too. .

I'm really not the one to ask about movies. If you pushed me, I might just say Trinnov could be better. Really, I didn't hear a difference there really. But I wouldn't debate those who really notice such things.

I just look at the Trinnov, and see a cheaply built processor. The Marantz AV8805 looks far better built. The Trinnov looks more like the HTPC inside than any high-end processor.

With your hearing loss, I do understand why you need the Auro processing. Hey, it happens to everyone. It's happening to me. This is a good thread to discuss the options. Some of my older audiophile friends have researched this topic too and like you have had to buy hearing aids. I don't think there's anything you can do about the loss above 8Khz. Aids just don't help there. But there's still lots of good stuff to hear below that level. The hobby is still enjoyable too. One friend though, realized it might be prudent to down-size his system but still have a high performance set-up. Others feel that even with severe hearing loss, it's never to late to build that ultimate theater that they have always wanted.
I was waiting for you to get around to my hearing loss, since you have posted on that thread in the past few days! Of course, I didn't buy hearing aids, after my hospitalization for appendix rupture and weeks of IV antibiotics treatment, my hearing, or at least my brain/ear interpretation of such, is back to where it had been. Of course, at 66, and as I can only hear test tones to 12.5 kHz, my hearing isn't as good as yours!

Trinnov is not a cheaply built processor. And Trinnov has the very best software engineers in the business.

At least my decisions are based on spending my own money and living with gear for years and years and trying new stuff, not on just quick demos at dealers. You haven't used a SSP in your system for years. You haven't demod Trinnov or the latest CB SSPs in your own system.

Now I won't doubt you that in whatever system you heard the CBIVA vs whatever system you heard the Trinnov, that the CBIVA that you heard sounded much better to you. And hey, if I demoed the same systems, that might well have been the same for me and my other audiophile friends! But then we get to issues other than just the SSP used, speakers, amplifiers, setup, room, acoustic treatments, etc. And if the SSPs were in the same system (a BIG IF!), was each one setup "properly"?

Lots of ifs when it comes to audio. Each of us must make our own decision, based on many variables, of how to spend our $$$. But what is clear that your arguments re build quality are just one consideration, and your putting down of competing SSPs as not having the build quality of the CB are sort of funny since you use a home brewed PC for your music listening - talk about build quality! LO! And yet I don't doubt that your stereo sounds superb!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 155 Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I was waiting for you to get around to my hearing loss, since you have posted on that thread in the past few days! Of course, I didn't buy hearing aids, after my hospitalization for appendix rupture and weeks of IV antibiotics treatment, my hearing, or at least my brain/ear interpretation of such, is back to where it had been. Of course, at 66, and as I can only hear test tones to 12.5 kHz, my hearing isn't as good as yours!

Trinnov is not a cheaply built processor. And Trinnov has the very best software engineers in the business.

At least my decisions are based on spending my own money and living with gear for years and years and trying new stuff, not on just quick demos at dealers. You haven't used a SSP in your system for years. You haven't demod Trinnov or the latest CB SSPs in your own system.

Now I won't doubt you that in whatever system you heard the CBIVA vs whatever system you heard the Trinnov, that the CBIVA that you heard sounded much better to you. And hey, if I demoed the same systems, that might well have been the same for me and my other audiophile friends! But then we get to issues other than just the SSP used, speakers, amplifiers, setup, room, acoustic treatments, etc. And if the SSPs were in the same system (a BIG IF!), was each one setup "properly"?

Lots of ifs when it comes to audio. Each of us must make our own decision, based on many variables, of how to spend our $$$. But what is clear that your arguments re build quality are just one consideration, and your putting down of competing SSPs as not having the build quality of the CB are sort of funny since you use a home brewed PC for your music listening - talk about build quality! LO! And yet I don't doubt that your stereo sounds superb!
Yes, I'm using three Gen VIII dacs! They are superb! I am fighting this madness to stop from buying a 4th. ;D
I try to focus on build quality because the subjective stuff can't really be debated. For example, you were recommending some kind of isolation platform or device that you said made your gear sound better? Are you using such devices now? Do they make the Trinnov sound better? It's your subjective opinion that those devices make your gear sound better. It's a waste of my time and yours to try to convince you they don't. I bought Granite Audio pure silver cables too. You recommended them. Hell, you raved about them. When I cut them open,it was Vampire Wire! I'll attach a picture of the cable that I cut open. I can't find the one that was clearly labeled Vampire Wire but anyone that knows the cable will instantly recognize it. It was selling on Ebay last I saw it for $10 a meter. Think Granite Audio was like $549 a meter terminate with Topline WBT connectors. So yeah, I am challenging built quality just like this cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	670B32C6-02E9-400D-B02C-6ADB5FC9B3A4_1577812617324.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2661850  

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 12-31-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: grammer
post #153 of 155 Old 12-31-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I'm using three Gen VIII dacs! They are superb! I am fighting this madness to stop from buying a 4th.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

I try to focus on build quality because the subjective stuff can't really be debated. For example, you were recommending some kind of isolation platform or device that you said made your gear sound better? Are you using such devices now? Do they make the Trinnov sound better? It's your subjective opinion that those devices make you gear sound better. It's a waste of my time and yours to try to convince you they don't. I bought Granite Audio pure silver cables too. You recommended them. Hell, you raved about them. When I cut them open,it was Vampire Wire! I'll attach a picture of the cable that I cut open. I can't find the one that was clearly labeled Vampire Wire but anyone that know the cable will instantly recognize it. It was selling on Ebay last I saw it for $10 a meter. Think Granite Audio was like $549 a meter terminate with Topline WBT connectors. So yeah, I am challenging built quality just like this cable.
And its a waste of time to try to convince anyone - use what you like or prefer and enjoy it!

Granite Audio was eons ago! These days with room correction is questionable whether audiophile cables really make a difference anyway.

Nice that after all these years you are now using 3 Gen VIII Series 3 DACs - I've been there circa 2013 for several years!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 155 Old 12-31-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
And its a waste of time to try to convince anyone - use what you like or prefer and enjoy it!

Nice that after all these years you are now using 3 Gen VIII Series 3 DACs - I've been there circa 2013 for several years!
Remind me again of the isolation devices? I forget the name. I admit I will buy stuff like that because it looks cool. Nothing like a little jewelry for one's system.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 12-31-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #155 of 155 Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Remind me again of the isolation devices? I forget the name. I admit I will buy stuff like that because it looks cool. Nothing like a little jewelry for one's system.
Back on topic - to hearing aids. When you get off topic "I can't hear you"!

I think its great that in your mid-50's you can still hear 17 kHz test tones. I'd be curious if you got a hearing test and posted it hear how "normal" your hearing is even below 8 kHz? Our hearing and any loss doesn't tend to go necessarily in a straight line as we age or listen to stuff too loud. Not a bad idea for an audiophile to get a baseline on hearing - though the tests only to go 8 kHzc are are designed for speech intelligibility not for audiophiles per se. Also, good idea every year or two for us audiophiles to see an ENT Dr and get our ears cleaned, as wax build will interfere with hearing and audio perception.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-31-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page