Pathetic inactivity on this forum - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 305Likes

post #31 of 216 Old 12-01-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Coming from the Design/Build/Install/Calibrate side of things, I've not been this busy in a while, so I am seeing the opposite. Many of my clients have no idea what AVS Forums is though, so I do agree with your assessment about them not visiting here, although lots of them are very interested in the process.
Nice good to hear.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 216 Old 12-01-2018, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Honestly what was the idea behind this thread? Are you just trying to pick fights with millennials?

XBR-75Z9D, Onkyo TX-RZ830, JBL Synthesis S7165 X 2, Opppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, PS4, PS3, JBL 7.1.4
post #33 of 216 Old 12-01-2018, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Great to hear ! We appreciate the fact that guys like you are out there to make this all possible.

Art
And *I* appreciate guys like you that allow me to have a very cool job! I get to play with very expensive toys that somebody else paid for!

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11827 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Don't get me wrong.. I'm personally just as into this stuff as ever when I saw the Christie projector in Kitchener a few weeks back I was incredibly excited, seeing the 22' wide 4 way masking screen in this forum gave me the same feeling. I've used my theater room for having couples over but it has been used a lot over the years for my kids and their friends as part of a gathering on a Saturday afternoon or evening. Angela and I watch movies occasionally but more like once a month perhaps less. I, however, use it a lot almost every weekend. Last night my son Turner and I watched 2001 in UHD since he had never seen it. My mother in law and her husband are coming for a week over Christmas and I know they will ask to watch a movie every evening , they love it.

My point is why the forum has petered out (no pun intended) and that IMO is that the dedicated room concept like mine and all that goes into making such a thing happen ,as something to aspire to, is coming to an end IMO.

For ever most of us tried to emulate a commercial theater experience at home but more comfortable..now I exceed every commercial theater I've ever been in but new films that I want to see to fill my screen are fewer in number and it's not looking like that is going to change. I watch tons of old stuff that I enjoy but would likely bore to tears most people.

Of course , just like my garage clubhouse when I was a kid, it really was for me in the first place.

Art
I agree, my room was built for me. Though I love sharing what I built with others, especially family, I am also perfectly fine watching a movie by myself. Though usually it is the wife and I watching movies.
post #35 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Pathetic inactivity on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Haven’t visited this forum for a while but it is amazing that so few people are involved here. The first page goes all the way back to mid October. I guess the millennials don’t care much about this stuff and the baby boomers who might have given up the ghost of chasing the holly grail of audiophile nirvana. I know that I have as high end audio has become a stupidly expensive hobby, music doesn’t excite me that much anymore and my hearing has wained. Too bad, it was fun. Thirty years ago the best preamp cost $2,500-5,000 as did the best amps. The best speakers cost $5,000-10,000. Now the best of everything runs you $50,000-150,000, crazy! All the utes want now are a pair of $20 earbuds and a streaming JBL boombox. Sad. Regards. Ned.

Is the OP possibly looking at the situation from perhaps the wrong angle? Not saying he is wrong per se... here are my thoughts.

1) “millennials don’t care about this stuff” - first, we are talking about a ultra high end home theater sub-forum. I myself am a millennial, and all of my millennial and older generation friends and family are totally jazzed that I will soon have a theater that we will all be able to experience together. I think part of this might come down to $$... most common folk don’t have the luxury to spend what would likely be a large % of their yearly net income on home audio / video equipment...

2) “the best of everything costs you $50k - $150k” like others have mentioned, unless you are a true audiophile, spending a fraction of that budget on a system that might achieve 90% - 95% of the performance would still yield a spectacular experience. I think this analogy might hold true for other hobbies or areas of interest as well. Sure, you could drop $300,000 on a high end Lamborghini, but spending $50,000 on a fully loaded mustang would likely satisfy the performance needs of 98% of the population. Only the true car gurus with enough $ would shell out the extra $250,000 on the lambo....

3) Technology is simply advancing, and equipment that costs $3000 today in some cases might equally perform or outperform equipment that might have cost double 10 years ago. This point I don’t have hard facts to back up; more so an assumption if I’m being honest.

4) when I look at the dedicated theater build sub-forum, I see lots of builds that likely exceed $30k - $40k when looking at the total budget. OP go look at that forum for enthusiasts spending what I would consider to be serious $$ on their kick ass theater / speaker systems.

Sincerely,

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ebailey, chirpie, Tex_Thai and 1 others like this.

Aaron H.
post #36 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
on the 2-channel hifi side of things i'd say the activity has been solid, as far as 'expensive' new rooms and higher end gear. the hifi shows get lots of traffic, and especially if you went to the Munich hifi show or any of the Asian shows the hobby is healthy. higher and higher priced gear and the Asian economy plus the life styles and density of cities there plays to hifi systems in homes more than Home Theater.

serious 2 channel hifi was never as 'red-hot' as Home Theater was a decade or two ago, but it's been more consistent. and world wide is growing. maybe millennial's in the USA are not adapting to it at a high rate, but in other parts of the world the are.

not sure readers of this sub-forum think much in terms of 2 channel hifi discussion here now. a decade ago there was an active 2 channel hifi component to this sub forum, but not any more.

Sony XBR-65A1E-rec room / JVC RS4500K FP--Stewart Studiotek 100 2:35-1 screen, 7.1.4 Revel speaker, Anthem AVM60 processor, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242-18 gig, Paladin DCR lens, Oppo 203 4K BRD, dedicated Home Theater / Fujitsu P50XHA10US-fam room / Dedicated 2-channel music room, https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615
post #37 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lavigne View Post
on the 2-channel hifi side of things i'd say the activity has been solid, as far as 'expensive' new rooms and higher end gear. the hifi shows get lots of traffic, and especially if you went to the Munich hifi show or any of the Asian shows the hobby is healthy. higher and higher priced gear and the Asian economy plus the life styles and density of cities there plays to hifi systems in homes more than Home Theater.

serious 2 channel hifi was never as 'red-hot' as Home Theater was a decade or two ago, but it's been more consistent. and world wide is growing. maybe millennial's in the USA are not adapting to it at a high rate, but in other parts of the world the are.

not sure readers of this sub-forum think much in terms of 2 channel hifi discussion here now. a decade ago there was an active 2 channel hifi component to this sub forum, but not any more.
Well, one thing you can see if you just look at the reality inside this forum...

Two years ago, you would find between 75 and 150 people in the two channel audio section at any given time (roughly on average). At that time, if you visited the soundbars section, there would be may be a dozen people there... On a busy day.

Right now, this exact second, there are 265 people in the soundbar section and 125 people in the two-channel audio section. Soundbars may be the fastest growing audio section of this site (I don't have stats, it just seems like it is). It's now gunning for subwoofers, bass, and transducers (365 members currently in that subsection) and I imagine it won't be long before he catches up with it.

2-channel is in crisis. Sure, there are bright spots like Munich and AXPONA. But, it's about to effectively disappear from CES, last year it shrank a lot, which means my show coverage won't include any high-end sound (not worth heading over to the Venetian).

And the brutal reality is DSP and class-D amplification is making new things possible, as some point high-end will be like collecting model railroads.

On the home theater side, it's just amazing what you can do now with mainstream gear, and at the end of the day the high-end stuff still has to use Dolby or DTS so...

Inactivity here, in this specific sub-forum, likely has mostly to do with the lower prices at which you can now get reference-level performance.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-02-2018 at 08:55 AM.
post #38 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I might also add that viewing preferences are changing. When people are more than happy to stare at their phone or tablet to watch a big budget movie, then naturally dedicated home theater aspirations will decrease. I'm in the planning process for repurposing my basement into a media room and my friends are excited to see it completed. They know what the last one could do.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #39 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
I might also add that viewing preferences are changing. When people are more than happy to stare at their phone or tablet to watch a big budget movie, then naturally dedicated home theater aspirations will decrease. I'm in the planning process for repurposing my basement into a media room and my friends are excited to see it completed. They know what the last one could do.

You're right, and I really don't know why people are content to use their dinky devices to do "serious" watching and they think they are getting a good experience, but a lot of them do. I work with many of them. Low standards I guess. Sure, I'm guilty of the same, but only with a few TV shows and only if I can't sleep - I'll use the iPhone and the ear buds - but it is really a diminished experience on all fronts. There is no replacing a large screen and good audio. (for me large is 65", it's all I can do - BUT - after being a member here, I certainly aspire to take it to the next level when my budget and facilities allow...) It's really up to the industry to convince this newer generation that sound bars and portable devices are NOT the future of A/V entertainment. I don't know if THAT is possible though....
dfa973 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #40 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked: 863
It has nothing to do with millennial.

High end audio is now fools gold. The point of diminishing returns has been falling drastically over the last few decades, probably even before the advent of dvd/bluray. High end speakers, amps, transports, cables made with so called exotic materials etc are all basically status symbols, there's a reason none of the people into this believe in any kind of blind testing or measurements.

People are free to spend their money as they see fit - but unless you are on the bleeding edge (e.g. latest 4K/8K laser projector) there is no real benefit spending this kind of money on AV gear.

There are some audiophiles who really are after the best sound, most are simply clinging to age old myths, snake oil and refuse to see the blindingly obvious.
post #41 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
I am working my tail off helping folks here put together systems. Many of them are upgrading to Revel and JBL speakers or adding more to their surround systems.

Home theater and high end audio enthusiasts have never had it better. Even though Revel Salon2 and JBL M2 speakers have been around a while, the word keeps spreading about accurate loudspeakers and folks are finally paying attention the the work done by Dr. Floyd Toole ("Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms"). He recently published the third edition of his book.

I have helped a number of folks put together Dolby ATMOS systems with more surround channels and in ceiling ATMOS speakers. I think things are starting to take off for immersive audio and it's only going to get better and more exciting because more source material is be produced than ever.

The knowledge and power to use room correction and sound field management has advanced. Home users can do their own measurements and get very good results affordably. Tools like REW and Dirac work well and you don't need an engineering degree to use them.

Dig a little deeper into some brand specific threads and you will see a lot of activity and discussions going on.
post #42 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
I am working my tail off helping folks here put together systems. Many of them are upgrading to Revel and JBL speakers or adding more to their surround systems.

Home theater and high end audio enthusiasts have never had it better. Even though Revel Salon2 and JBL M2 speakers have been around a while, the word keeps spreading about accurate loudspeakers and folks are finally paying attention the the work done by Dr. Floyd Toole ("Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms"). He recently published the third edition of his book.

I have helped a number of folks put together Dolby ATMOS systems with more surround channels and in ceiling ATMOS speakers. I think things are starting to take off for immersive audio and it's only going to get better and more exciting because more source material is be produced than ever.

The knowledge and power to use room correction and sound field management has advanced. Home users can do their own measurements and get very good results affordably. Tools like REW and Dirac work well and you don't need an engineering degree to use them.

Dig a little deeper into some brand specific threads and you will see a lot of activity and discussions going on.
^ What he said...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #43 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Im 18, instead of buying a car I've saved my money and built my own cinema room and absouletly love all things AV, people just have hobbies and interests in different areas, no need to tar all 'millennials' with the same brush!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_194939.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	707.6 KB
ID:	2490218  
ebailey, G-Rex, imagic and 3 others like this.
post #44 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Haven’t visited this forum for a while but it is amazing that so few people are involved here. The first page goes all the way back to mid October. I guess the millennials don’t care much about this stuff and the baby boomers who might have given up the ghost of chasing the holly grail of audiophile nirvana. I know that I have as high end audio has become a stupidly expensive hobby, music doesn’t excite me that much anymore and my hearing has wained. Too bad, it was fun. Thirty years ago the best preamp cost $2,500-5,000 as did the best amps. The best speakers cost $5,000-10,000. Now the best of everything runs you $50,000-150,000, crazy! All the utes want now are a pair of $20 earbuds and a streaming JBL boombox. Sad. Regards. Ned.

I have no idea where you get your costs. I would never pay $ 5000.00 for an amplifier, no matter what the specification or power output. Spending money does not guarantee you get the 'best' of anything. If spending money is your true hobby, then by all means... have fun.

The smartest people know that there is no appreciable difference in 0's and 1's output from a $29 emerson CD player and a $4000.00 CD player. Sure, aesthetics aside, perhaps durability, but functionally, if you are using the optical output there is no difference, and you enjoy galvanic isolation as a side benefit. ( rather than linking chassis together with a phono cable )

Instead magazines and delusional people wax poetically about rubbing a cantilevered, weighted diamond in a dirty vinyl LP album groove as the standard to live up to. Sorry... I do not subscribe to the notion of media that deteriorates every time it is played as being 'high end'. This is why I do not have cassettes, 8 track or vinyl.

The compact disc has technical limitations, and while limited to 22.05 khz on the top end, this is in reality, a non-issue for people with normal hearing ( young adults ) or people that suffer from hyperacusis.

Audiofools are still purchasing pre-amps and amps for thousands of dollars when they could benefit orders of magnitude more by proper acoustical design, analysis and treatment worth the same amount. Cable elevators, CD edge markers and magic stones are the work of snake oil salesmen..... Caveat Emptor.

Audiofools also abhor digital signal processing, instead prefer to listen to in room frequency responses that approximate a six flags amusement park ride.

For most audiophiles, a subwoofer is verboten. Some have slowly adopted the presence of a subwoofer, though typically wax poetic about the 'speed' and 'cadence' of a small subwoofer box matching their speakers.

In reality, they purchased a 0.6 cu foot cabinet with an excursion limited max output of about 100dB at 1m at 35 hz, when they need a realistic 125 dB at 1meter at 35 hz. ( to have headroom above the ~110 dB at the main listening position for 'live levels' ) Owing to the customary performance to price ratio, this 0.6 cu foot box will have pricing relative to it's weight in troy ounces of gold.

Not to mention, the audiophile has not a clue on how to integrate the device into the system, they simply plug and play, fiddling with knobs to ensure that the bandwidth of said gold equivalent subwoofer is at maximum 0.5 octaves wide, and the overall level is too low to be of any use.

The college student that is into gear pulls out his measurement microphone, measures the relative levels of main and sub, adjusts the delay and phase to get excellent results from modest gear.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #45 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
This thread went south pretty quickly.

Art
Tex_Thai and markmanner like this.
post #46 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Technology has also played a role in this evolution of media. In the past it required a dedicated effort to listen to something, you had to want to listen to music. Now, music is everywhere and we have a multitude of options to listen to music. The same has happened to video, we are no longer tethered to a projector or television to watch something. While these options have provided us more freedom to enjoy what we want to enjoy, where we want to enjoy it, it has come with the necessary tradeoffs that each individual person has to make and accept.

Personally, I have tiers for my media usage. I accept streaming at MP3 bitrates to be acceptable based on what I'm doing. For example, I don't need hires audio to mow the lawn or wash the car. But my preference is to buy music I enjoy in the best quality available. When possible, I prefer to listen to music in that format on my two channel system. The same is true for video. I have a growing list of movies that I would like to watch, but I know my experience will be diminished if I watch it on my TV. I'm waiting to watch some things until my media room is done so I can enjoy it with my projector and full surround system. However, some video is perfectly acceptable on the TV because I don't feel I will lose anything, a perfect example being TV shows or movies that don't need the large scale presentation that my media room provides.

I've learned that it is all just personal taste and preference. No amount of effort will convince people that are not open to being shown what is possible. But that's just my two cents.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #47 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
I have no idea where you get your costs. I would never pay $ 5000.00 for an amplifier, no matter what the specification or power output. Spending money does not guarantee you get the 'best' of anything. If spending money is your true hobby, then by all means... have fun.

The smartest people know that there is no appreciable difference in 0's and 1's output from a $29 emerson CD player and a $4000.00 CD player. Sure, aesthetics aside, perhaps durability, but functionally, if you are using the optical output there is no difference, and you enjoy galvanic isolation as a side benefit. ( rather than linking chassis together with a phono cable )

Instead magazines and delusional people wax poetically about rubbing a cantilevered, weighted diamond in a dirty vinyl LP album groove as the standard to live up to. Sorry... I do not subscribe to the notion of media that deteriorates every time it is played as being 'high end'. This is why I do not have cassettes, 8 track or vinyl.

The compact disc has technical limitations, and while limited to 22.05 khz on the top end, this is in reality, a non-issue for people with normal hearing ( young adults ) or people that suffer from hyperacusis.

Audiofools are still purchasing pre-amps and amps for thousands of dollars when they could benefit orders of magnitude more by proper acoustical design, analysis and treatment worth the same amount. Cable elevators, CD edge markers and magic stones are the work of snake oil salesmen..... Caveat Emptor.

Audiofools also abhor digital signal processing, instead prefer to listen to in room frequency responses that approximate a six flags amusement park ride.

For most audiophiles, a subwoofer is verboten. Some have slowly adopted the presence of a subwoofer, though typically wax poetic about the 'speed' and 'cadence' of a small subwoofer box matching their speakers.

In reality, they purchased a 0.6 cu foot cabinet with an excursion limited max output of about 100dB at 1m at 35 hz, when they need a realistic 125 dB at 1meter at 35 hz. ( to have headroom above the ~110 dB at the main listening position for 'live levels' ) Owing to the customary performance to price ratio, this 0.6 cu foot box will have pricing relative to it's weight in troy ounces of gold.

Not to mention, the audiophile has not a clue on how to integrate the device into the system, they simply plug and play, fiddling with knobs to ensure that the bandwidth of said gold equivalent subwoofer is at maximum 0.5 octaves wide, and the overall level is too low to be of any use.

The college student that is into gear pulls out his measurement microphone, measures the relative levels of main and sub, adjusts the delay and phase to get excellent results from modest gear.
Couldn't have said any of this better myself, my cousin prefers the sound and overall power of my system to his 2 channel B&W 700 series setup, mine being EQ'd with a 15db curve on the low end, and in a treated room! Oh, and capable of 122db from 16hz up at the MLP!
lknhomeaudio likes this.
post #48 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
This thread went south pretty quickly.

Art
Makes you miss the old days...

The Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) section was possibly one of the last places here with civility and good/interesting information exchanges. But, I guess things change...
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #49 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty6400 View Post
Im 18, instead of buying a car I've saved my money and built my own cinema room and absouletly love all things AV, people just have hobbies and interests in different areas, no need to tar all 'millennials' with the same brush!
what subs are those?
post #50 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 01:44 PM

Young people nowadays seems very content with 128k music on their $5 earbuds and 5,000k 1080p on Netflix. :/

We will be very lucky if hi-res audio/video sources even survive!
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #51 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknhomeaudio View Post
what subs are those?
DIY Faital pro 18hp1030s, tuned to 16hz.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #52 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty6400 View Post
DIY Faital pro 18hp1030s, tuned to 16hz.

Awesome! I don't seem many builds centered around that brand.
post #53 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I agree, my room was built for me. Though I love sharing what I built with others, especially family, I am also perfectly fine watching a movie by myself. Though usually it is the wife and I watching movies.
Sounds exactly like my life.
Tex_Thai likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #54 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I think the dedicated ht rooms are less "popular" than in the recent past, which is something my friends in the industry (ht/automation businesses) have echoed. People are more likely to do a general purpose media room with bar and games but still decent sound and video.

We had some friends over the other day with their 2 kids and I put on Avengers Infinity War - they all sat mesmerized for the whole movie and just couldn't believe how good it looked and sounded - they had never experienced even a decent home theater before. They have a beautiful home and put in a smallish ht in the basement with the nice movie themed carpet etc but the gear was extremely modest and just didn't have any real impact or realism. I don't crank it to the max but the dynamic range is "natural" and the experience is always thrilling (at least to me, lol).

I enjoy coming to these threads and seeing the excitement that is still present from the regulars that are here, but perhaps the writing is on the wall about the future of ht (and high end audio imho; I still participate with my audio pals when time permits).

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #55 of 216 Old 12-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post

'
'

I feel bad for you, you are missing so much. I'm sure you can solve equations, but I would never buy a piece of art from your collection, or drink a glass of wine from your cellar. Norm
post #56 of 216 Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I would agree that while dedicated theater rooms don't seem to be the "thing" for many any longer, every time I have people in my theater that haven't seen it in the past are blown away and say "I want one"!
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #57 of 216 Old 12-03-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post
'
'

I feel bad for you, you are missing so much. I'm sure you can solve equations, but I would never buy a piece of art from your collection, or drink a glass of wine from your cellar. Norm

Norm, please elaborate on what I am missing... ? Are you confusing me with someone else, I have no art for sale, nor have I invited you over.

Reading some of your other posts, one can conclude you are a salesman, and I do not partake in snake oil.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...listening.html

The Magico Q sub you mentioned prior with dual 18" drivers would each need a whopping 268.945 mm one way xmax to hit [email protected]@1m.

It is plain and obvious to even the casual layperson that each driver can not move 10.588 inches one way, for a total of 21.176 inches peak to peak.

I invite you to check it yourself: http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/xmaxer.html

Also, with 90 dB sensitivity ( claimed ) it would need 46dB of gain ( re 1 Watt ) from the amplifier, some 39,810 watts of power. Read that carefully, thirty nine point eight kilowatts of power.

Maybe that wine in your cellar should be used for cooking instead of drinking?

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #58 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
Just for fun I don't know if you guys read the article on MSN yesterday "Things That Rich People Buy That Makes Them Look Dumb":

Sports Cars
Homes
Boats
Cloths
Servants

Were some of the things listed.... just saying.

They didn't mention Theater Rooms

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/8-...umb/ar-BBQ7Miq
Reddig, Tex_Thai and Oklahomie like this.
post #59 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Just for fun I don't know if you guys read the article on MSN yesterday "Things That Rich People Buy That Makes Them Look Dumb":

Sports Cars
Homes
Boats
Cloths
Servants

Were some of the things listed.... just saying.

They didn't mention Theater Rooms

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/8-...umb/ar-BBQ7Miq

It may be off topic, but I do hate lazy writers.

"But if you’re borrowing heavily to impress your friends with a house that’s way bigger than you need or can afford, you’re not looking rich, you’re looking crazy." - MSN

That's, ummmm, not something a rich person has to do. A rich person can afford the house, that's why they are rich.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #60 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11827 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It may be off topic, but I do hate lazy writers.

"But if you’re borrowing heavily to impress your friends with a house that’s way bigger than you need or can afford, you’re not looking rich, you’re looking crazy." - MSN

That's, ummmm, not something a rich person has to do. A rich person can afford the house, that's why they are rich.
It is all relative. You can be rich and still buy too much house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page