Pathetic inactivity on this forum - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 305Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,146
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It may be off topic, but I do hate lazy writers.

"But if you’re borrowing heavily to impress your friends with a house that’s way bigger than you need or can afford, you’re not looking rich, you’re looking crazy." - MSN

That's, ummmm, not something a rich person has to do. A rich person can afford the house, that's why they are rich.

In the same article he says boats are too expensive yet again if you have it why not. The article is written as if the rich people don't have the money.
Art Sonneborn is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,464
Mentioned: 424 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8810 Post(s)
Liked: 15470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
In the same article he says boats are too expensive yet again if you have it why not. The article is written as if the rich people don't have the money.
The article is right about Ferraris at stop lights, I'll give it that.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #63 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Haven’t visited this forum for a while but it is amazing that so few people are involved here. The first page goes all the way back to mid October. I guess the millennials don’t care much about this stuff and the baby boomers who might have given up the ghost of chasing the holly grail of audiophile nirvana. I know that I have as high end audio has become a stupidly expensive hobby, music doesn’t excite me that much anymore and my hearing has wained. Too bad, it was fun. Thirty years ago the best preamp cost $2,500-5,000 as did the best amps. The best speakers cost $5,000-10,000. Now the best of everything runs you $50,000-150,000, crazy! All the utes want now are a pair of $20 earbuds and a streaming JBL boombox. Sad. Regards. Ned.
I would be inclined to disagree. What is truly the "best" is a VERY subjective term in the realm of audio. What sounds best to you might sound like garbage to me. I think with the rise in ID companies, the price of entry into the more "higher" end sound has dropped quite low in recent years. What best is not always what costs the most. You can get solid stereo amps from the $2000 to $4000 price range from makers like McIntosh and Anthem etc. which most people I would argue still consider high end, and solid stereo amps for around the same price, which is still inline with what you referenced about prices from 30 years ago. I will admit the price of SPEAKERS on the high end has gotten out of hand when your paying $50k+ for a pair of speakers, but at that point it can be argued that your paying more for an ART piece than a speaker, not that those super high end speakers don't sound good. But you can get a GREAT sounding paid of speakers for $5,000 to $10,000 or less if you just want to spend a ton of money.
Tex_Thai likes this.
liffie420 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rontalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I'm still around as well. Just do more lurking now scanning for the next greatest advancement in AV. Learned a ton from this site and would have spent wayyyyyyyyyyyy more money than needed if not for the great folks over hear testing out more affordable gear!

Edit: Oh wait, I just noticed which sub-forum I was in...I do not belong here...
Tex_Thai likes this.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K

Last edited by rontalley; 12-04-2018 at 08:02 AM.
rontalley is offline  
post #65 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Ha! Define Rich!? What is rich?

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
thebland is offline  
post #66 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,146
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Ha! Define Rich!? What is rich?
A lot more money than the person writing the article has.

Art
thebland and jazzrock like this.
Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #67 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,527
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9345
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Ha! Define Rich!? What is rich?
It is all relative. I know people that I would consider rich and those same people say they are poor, due to the circle they run with.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #68 of 216 Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
vollans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
It is all relative. You can be rich and still buy too much house.
You can also be not rich and buy what some people see as "too much house". We specifically chose our house, for two people, because it had a separate living room that could be a home theatre, a separate one for a library, and a separate one as a day to day living room. Some people think that's over the top, but for us that's perfect as each space isn't a compromise, and we "pay" for it elsewhere.
Tex_Thai likes this.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
vollans is offline  
post #69 of 216 Old 12-05-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Too much inactivity here at AVS? Must be due to all the lurkers. AVS #1 lurker is pictured below!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#1 AVS Lurker.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	2492030  

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is online now  
post #70 of 216 Old 12-05-2018, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,527
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9345
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Too much inactivity here at AVS? Must be due to all the lurkers. AVS #1 lurker is pictured below!
Yamaha CA-810 amp. I actually still have that amp, somewhere in the storage room. Bought it new in the 70's.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #71 of 216 Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yamaha CA-810 amp. I actually still have that amp, somewhere in the storage room. Bought it new in the 70's.
So that picture was from your years ago girlfriend listening to your Yamaha amp?
appelz, RUR and Mike Garrett like this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is online now  
post #72 of 216 Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,524
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Post Hello Original Poster ...

Ngerstman,

This is like everyone that's posted on this thread just my opinions.

When my HT goes through major Up-Dates I am on here a lot.
As soon as mine is to me completely done I then spend time actually in my HT.

My Opinion guys, what I see from being back on this site for awhile and a lot recently is that some people come on here just to talk, debate, argue and prove their points of view are correct.
There are people that it seems much prefer to spend their time on this site versus actually spending time in their HT.
Also there are members that earn a living from this internet site so it makes sense they are going to be on here and probably active.

In my case I come on here to share with others and when things are completed my time then as I said above goes back to spending time in my HT.

If you like seeing what another member is doing click on the link below.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a.html

I think of this internet site just like any of the car internet sites I have also been on for a great many years.
When we are deep into changing things then of course we are extremely active.
But, as soon as we are done then we are actually using that car/vehicle and attending shows, cars & coffee etc.
It all comes down to personal preference is all I'm really saying.
If a person prefers to be on here everyday and spent many-many-many hours 7-days a week and that's what they enjoy have at it.
Then there are guys like me that come on here for a much more specific reason to find out and research what they are getting ready to do.
Once done just like myself I know I'm not going to be as active as I have no personal reason to be.

Terry
Art Sonneborn and Tex_Thai like this.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #73 of 216 Old 12-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
HFGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Thought I would chime in. I think I am technically a Millennial, but I barely qualify. Most people my age can barely afford housing. People are struggling under mountains of debt either from buying a house or paying off their education. It's easy to have bought a $50k house in 1960 and now that house would sell for $2mill and wonder why all these kids don't just buy a house.

I make very good money, but after paying my mortgage and every other bill that really adds up there simply is no money left over for audio. The forum title is $20k+, not sure if that is the minimum price per "box" or the total of the system cost, but even I cannot afford to post here. Let's say I have $1k of mad money left over at the end of each month to spend on toys. I am not going to spend almost 2 years worth of savings on a new pre-amp. I think the entire high end market is in the process of killing itself, it has priced nearly everyone out of ever being a customer. I think its total BS to say Millennial are happy with $5 headphone, they don't understand anything about quality..... I would rather have my next meal than a new cable elevator
Tex_Thai likes this.
HFGuy is online now  
post #74 of 216 Old 12-07-2018, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,527
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9345
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
So that picture was from your years ago girlfriend listening to your Yamaha amp?
That would have been every 17 year olds dream girlfriend.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #75 of 216 Old 12-07-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,231
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
Thought I would chime in. I think I am technically a Millennial, but I barely qualify. Most people my age can barely afford housing. People are struggling under mountains of debt either from buying a house or paying off their education. It's easy to have bought a $50k house in 1960 and now that house would sell for $2mill and wonder why all these kids don't just buy a house.

I make very good money, but after paying my mortgage and every other bill that really adds up there simply is no money left over for audio. The forum title is $20k+, not sure if that is the minimum price per "box" or the total of the system cost, but even I cannot afford to post here. Let's say I have $1k of mad money left over at the end of each month to spend on toys. I am not going to spend almost 2 years worth of savings on a new pre-amp. I think the entire high end market is in the process of killing itself, it has priced nearly everyone out of ever being a customer. I think its total BS to say Millennial are happy with $5 headphone, they don't understand anything about quality..... I would rather have my next meal than a new cable elevator
Good points. I agree with the bolded statement when it comes to high end audio (and I'm an "audiophile" and have been scratching my head at the way the industry is going for a while now). It's not sour grapes because I can and have spent $$ on what I consider "value" products which doesn't necessarily mean cheap products. But no cable elevators, lol.
Tex_Thai likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is offline  
post #76 of 216 Old 12-07-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,231
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Ngerstman,

This is like everyone that's posted on this thread just my opinions.

When my HT goes through major Up-Dates I am on here a lot.
As soon as mine is to me completely done I then spend time actually in my HT.

My Opinion guys, what I see from being back on this site for awhile and a lot recently is that some people come on here just to talk, debate, argue and prove their points of view are correct.
There are people that it seems much prefer to spend their time on this site versus actually spending time in their HT.
Also there are members that earn a living from this internet site so it makes sense they are going to be on here and probably active.

In my case I come on here to share with others and when things are completed my time then as I said above goes back to spending time in my HT.

If you like seeing what another member is doing click on the link below.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a.html

I think of this internet site just like any of the car internet sites I have also been on for a great many years.
When we are deep into changing things then of course we are extremely active.
But, as soon as we are done then we are actually using that car/vehicle and attending shows, cars & coffee etc.
It all comes down to personal preference is all I'm really saying.
If a person prefers to be on here everyday and spent many-many-many hours 7-days a week and that's what they enjoy have at it.
Then there are guys like me that come on here for a much more specific reason to find out and research what they are getting ready to do.
Once done just like myself I know I'm not going to be as active as I have no personal reason to be.

Terry
Good post, Terry. Much like you, I am more active on both audio/video and car sites when I'm "doing something" to either the car or the system but I do lurk regularly. Great to see what's going in other people's builds, the industry in general, product reviews, etc... Although I haven't met many of the people here in person I feel like I already know some of them so that when I do get to finally meet some of you it will be like catching up with a long-time friend.
tigerhonaker and Tex_Thai like this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is offline  
post #77 of 216 Old 12-07-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,763
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3748 Post(s)
Liked: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Haven’t visited this forum for a while but it is amazing that so few people are involved here. The first page goes all the way back to mid October. I guess the millennials don’t care much about this stuff and the baby boomers who might have given up the ghost of chasing the holly grail of audiophile nirvana. I know that I have as high end audio has become a stupidly expensive hobby, music doesn’t excite me that much anymore and my hearing has wained. Too bad, it was fun. Thirty years ago the best preamp cost $2,500-5,000 as did the best amps. The best speakers cost $5,000-10,000. Now the best of everything runs you $50,000-150,000, crazy! All the utes want now are a pair of $20 earbuds and a streaming JBL boombox. Sad. Regards. Ned.

I have no idea where you get your costs. I would never pay $ 5000.00 for an amplifier, no matter what the specification or power output. Spending money does not guarantee you get the 'best' of anything. If spending money is your true hobby, then by all means... have fun.



The smartest people know that there is no appreciable difference in 0's and 1's output from a $29 emerson CD player and a $4000.00 CD player. Sure, aesthetics aside, perhaps durability, but functionally, if you are using the optical output there is no difference, and you enjoy galvanic isolation as a side benefit. ( rather than linking chassis together with a phono cable )



Instead magazines and delusional people wax poetically about rubbing a cantilevered, weighted diamond in a dirty vinyl LP album groove as the standard to live up to. Sorry... I do not subscribe to the notion of media that deteriorates every time it is played as being 'high end'. This is why I do not have cassettes, 8 track or vinyl.



The compact disc has technical limitations, and while limited to 22.05 khz on the top end, this is in reality, a non-issue for people with normal hearing ( young adults ) or people that suffer from hyperacusis.


Audiofools are still purchasing pre-amps and amps for thousands of dollars when they could benefit orders of magnitude more by proper acoustical design, analysis and treatment worth the same amount. Cable elevators, CD edge markers and magic stones are the work of snake oil salesmen..... Caveat Emptor.



Audiofools also abhor digital signal processing, instead prefer to listen to in room frequency responses that approximate a six flags amusement park ride.



For most audiophiles, a subwoofer is verboten. Some have slowly adopted the presence of a subwoofer, though typically wax poetic about the 'speed' and 'cadence' of a small subwoofer box matching their speakers.



In reality, they purchased a 0.6 cu foot cabinet with an excursion limited max output of about 100dB at 1m at 35 hz, when they need a realistic 125 dB at 1meter at 35 hz. ( to have headroom above the ~110 dB at the main listening position for 'live levels' ) Owing to the customary performance to price ratio, this 0.6 cu foot box will have pricing relative to it's weight in troy ounces of gold.



Not to mention, the audiophile has not a clue on how to integrate the device into the system, they simply plug and play, fiddling with knobs to ensure that the bandwidth of said gold equivalent subwoofer is at maximum 0.5 octaves wide, and the overall level is too low to be of any use.



The college student that is into gear pulls out his measurement microphone, measures the relative levels of main and sub, adjusts the delay and phase to get excellent results from modest gear.
You sound triggered. You OK now?
Scotth3886 is online now  
post #78 of 216 Old 12-07-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Prices today are no different than yesterday. It’s all the same.
I guess many don’t remember the days of Runco projectors starting at $40K and going up to and over $100K... and don’t forget the necessary Faroudja VP-5000 for another $30 K. Then throwi in a Meridian digital 7.1 system and your system is easily at $250K. It’s all the same then as it is today. When you buy the best, you pay. And like yesterday; you can pay 10% of that and get 60% of the performance.
thxman and Tex_Thai like this.
thebland is offline  
post #79 of 216 Old 12-08-2018, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Peter M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,056
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 302
What amp ?
Peter M is offline  
post #80 of 216 Old 12-31-2018, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,241
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
And like yesterday; you can pay 10% of that and get 60% of the performance.
When I went to the Home Acoustics Alliance training this fall, one of the key points that the instructors made was that you can achieve outstanding sound for a multi-row theatre in, of all places, a cheap hotel room with mid level speakers and subs. Instead, it was the science that was applied for maximizing the "sweet triangle" by proper speaker/sub placement, judicious use of entry-level treatments, and above all measurement and systematic listening to content highlighting critical evaluative dimensions that drove the sound of the room. And this was manifestly NOT a pre-engineered room, without any EQ fancier than PEQ. Not Dirac, not the Trinnov Optimizer's acoustic correction. Right Adam? The question is how much you have to spend - and where, dynamics (cough) - to get closer to that additional 40%. And having heard and seen Art's room at his Michigan GTG, the difference is obvious, which is where the fancy gear comes in as well as the design to make it work to its potential.

Putting on my work hat for a second...I'm a marketing science consultant professionally...

Having said all of that, I'm in my mid-50s, and after five years of CEDIA and being a part of the hi-end world with an Altitude, I feel that I'm one of the younger guys that are attracted to "high-end" HT and am in a position where I can indulge this hobby/obsession. But while Millennials generally don't have the experience or the budget for the hobby, like all "luxuries", interest tends to ramp up when you're more established and/or knowledgeable in the refinements, coupled with where you are in your lifecycle. Meaning that people establishing a career, or raising young children are generally less likely to have the time or money to get that 40%. There's exception, of course, but on the average...

However, if my acquaintances on AVS are any indication (LOL), the sweet spot age-wise would seem to be someone 50+ (preferably retired or about to be retired) that has grown children, and the time to do the research and make the contacts for that high-end dedicated room. There's also a niche for tech-savvy couples in the top 3% to 5% that are looking to the social entertainment aspect of home theatre, and open to being educated on the benefits of the dedicated room, or the driven entrepreneur that has to have the best of everything. IMO it's more a question of finding these people and on the business side, marketing to them more than just counting the absolute numbers as such. Whether those people have the time and/or commitment to want to participate in an A/V enthusiast forum is a different question.

As to the forum, participation always goes in cycles, in fits and starts, and it's not necessarily linear. Which is another way of saying that the introduction of 3D/immersive audio or 4K is exciting, but going from 4K to 8K or the rollout of IMAX Enhanced may not be as the incremental value is relatively trivial.

You'll notice that I keep bringing up knowledge...without AVS I'd have been one of those people with a nice 5.1 or maybe 7.1.4 room and upfiring Atmos speakers from Best Buy! The road to HT is paved with posts, and visiting CEDIA or dedicated room the biggest temptation of all .

Just my $0.02 and opinion, of course.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 12-31-2018 at 01:13 AM.
sdrucker is online now  
post #81 of 216 Old 12-31-2018, 03:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Holy Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Between Paris and Amsterdam
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
When I went to the Home Acoustics Alliance training this fall, one of the key points that the instructors made was that you can achieve outstanding sound for a multi-row theatre in, of all places, a cheap hotel room with mid level speakers and subs. Instead, it was the science that was applied for maximizing the "sweet triangle" by proper speaker/sub placement, judicious use of entry-level treatments, and above all measurement and systematic listening to content highlighting critical evaluative dimensions that drove the sound of the room. And this was manifestly NOT a pre-engineered room, without any EQ fancier than PEQ. Not Dirac, not the Trinnov Optimizer's acoustic correction. Right Adam? The question is how much you have to spend - and where, dynamics (cough) - to get closer to that additional 40%. And having heard and seen Art's room at his Michigan GTG, the difference is obvious, which is where the fancy gear comes in as well as the design to make it work to its potential.

Putting on my work hat for a second...I'm a marketing science consultant professionally...

Having said all of that, I'm in my mid-50s, and after five years of CEDIA and being a part of the hi-end world with an Altitude, I feel that I'm one of the younger guys that are attracted to "high-end" HT and am in a position where I can indulge this hobby/obsession. But while Millennials generally don't have the experience or the budget for the hobby, like all "luxuries", interest tends to ramp up when you're more established and/or knowledgeable in the refinements, coupled with where you are in your lifecycle. Meaning that people establishing a career, or raising young children are generally less likely to have the time or money to get that 40%. There's exception, of course, but on the average...

However, if my acquaintances on AVS are any indication (LOL), the sweet spot age-wise would seem to be someone 50+ (preferably retired or about to be retired) that has grown children, and the time to do the research and make the contacts for that high-end dedicated room. There's also a niche for tech-savvy couples in the top 3% to 5% that are looking to the social entertainment aspect of home theatre, and open to being educated on the benefits of the dedicated room, or the driven entrepreneur that has to have the best of everything. IMO it's more a question of finding these people and on the business side, marketing to them more than just counting the absolute numbers as such. Whether those people have the time and/or commitment to want to participate in an A/V enthusiast forum is a different question.

As to the forum, participation always goes in cycles, in fits and starts, and it's not necessarily linear. Which is another way of saying that the introduction of 3D/immersive audio or 4K is exciting, but going from 4K to 8K or the rollout of IMAX Enhanced may not be as the incremental value is relatively trivial.

You'll notice that I keep bringing up knowledge...without AVS I'd have been one of those people with a nice 5.1 or maybe 7.1.4 room and upfiring Atmos speakers from Best Buy! The road to HT is paved with posts, and visiting CEDIA or dedicated room the biggest temptation of all .

Just my $0.02 and opinion, of course.
People need to EXPERIENCE high-end HT before they get interested in it. So dealers need to build high-end rooms and persuade people to drop by for a demo. If done well, most of them will walk out with a big smile on their face. This 'big smile effect' is what the business needs...
Holy Grail is offline  
post #82 of 216 Old 12-31-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail View Post
People need to EXPERIENCE high-end HT before they get interested in it. So dealers need to build high-end rooms and persuade people to drop by for a demo. If done well, most of them will walk out with a big smile on their face. This 'big smile effect' is what the business needs...
I think they would be better served having several "levels" of room. I mean considering where this thread is, the Ultra High End, sure a top of the line room with the best of everything is great. But at the same time, the section of the population who can drop $50k or $100k on a dedicated room is relatively small. But people need to be shown that you can still get great sound without dropping $75k on a dedicated room, which you can. I think many would be surprised by how good a room can sound with proper treatments, and placement of even mid range speakers.
Jive Turkey, sdrucker and Tex_Thai like this.
liffie420 is offline  
post #83 of 216 Old 12-31-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,146
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
I think they would be better served having several "levels" of room. I mean considering where this thread is, the Ultra High End, sure a top of the line room with the best of everything is great. But at the same time, the section of the population who can drop $50k or $100k on a dedicated room is relatively small. But people need to be shown that you can still get great sound without dropping $75k on a dedicated room, which you can. I think many would be surprised by how good a room can sound with proper treatments, and placement of even mid range speakers.

I agree to some extent but I believe very few have any idea of what is possible. Letting them see and hear such a thing can be inspirational. Trust me, after visiting Rob Hahn I was floored and I have a pretty nice room.


Art
Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #84 of 216 Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
MajorTendonitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I am probably still considered new, but I thought it was fairly busy here , as I don’t know better .
I have noticed amongst my co-workers (mostly millennials) that they have very little interest in SQ . If they get a sound bar they think there winning .
I guess it’s more of an obsession with me . I’ve got over 20k in my living room setup, and when I meet most people they want an all in one home theatre 5.1 setup on a $500 budget .
There kind of in disbelief when I tell them my cc cost over 2K .

But each to his own . Some people have over $30K wrapped up in a single snowmobile, and that’s something that I would never do either
Tex_Thai likes this.

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
MajorTendonitis is offline  
post #85 of 216 Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,241
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
I am probably still considered new, but I thought it was fairly busy here , as I don’t know better .
I have noticed amongst my co-workers (mostly millennials) that they have very little interest in SQ . If they get a sound bar they think there winning .
I guess it’s more of an obsession with me . I’ve got over 20k in my living room setup, and when I meet most people they want an all in one home theatre 5.1 setup on a $500 budget .
There kind of in disbelief when I tell them my cc cost over 2K .

But each to his own . Some people have over $30K wrapped up in a single snowmobile, and that’s something that I would never do either
Again, it’s lifestyle. We drive a 15 YO, well-maintained Lexus sedan, and the last thing we would do is buy some huge new SUV even though a large percentage of people in our area have one. We’ll probably lease our next car rather than sink tens of thousands of dollars into a mobile asset mostly used for urban commuting and LT 50 miles expressway driving. OTOH the typical SUV owner in our neighborhood probably has a soundbar or perhaps those Best Buy speakers. All is relative.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
sdrucker is online now  
post #86 of 216 Old 12-31-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,151
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
Thought I would chime in. I think I am technically a Millennial, but I barely qualify. Most people my age can barely afford housing. People are struggling under mountains of debt either from buying a house or paying off their education. It's easy to have bought a $50k house in 1960 and now that house would sell for $2mill and wonder why all these kids don't just buy a house.

I make very good money, but after paying my mortgage and every other bill that really adds up there simply is no money left over for audio. The forum title is $20k+, not sure if that is the minimum price per "box" or the total of the system cost, but even I cannot afford to post here. Let's say I have $1k of mad money left over at the end of each month to spend on toys. I am not going to spend almost 2 years worth of savings on a new pre-amp. I think the entire high end market is in the process of killing itself, it has priced nearly everyone out of ever being a customer. I think its total BS to say Millennial are happy with $5 headphone, they don't understand anything about quality..... I would rather have my next meal than a new cable elevator
You have your cable elevators, if your next meal consists of processed foods;-).

donaldk is offline  
post #87 of 216 Old 12-31-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,060
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I agree, my room was built for me. Though I love sharing what I built with others, especially family, I am also perfectly fine watching a movie by myself. Though usually it is the wife and I watching movies.
Exactly. I watch quite a few movies alone since my wife is not wildly enamored with certain kinds of movies. All of the upgrades and changes I make to the the theater are for ME, a few of which my wife can even notice (getting the 4500 being one of them)

I am still amazed by how many (actually 99+%) of the visitors to our home have never seen a real dedicated home theater. And many of these visitors have substantial net worth and could easily afford it. The HT firm I deal with (Atlanta Home Theater) does way fewer dedicated theaters than they did a few years ago. The mega wealthy guy is more likely to put in 25 flat panels and whole house automation.

I think the demise of two channel is driven by a number of things (I was into the hobby for well over 40 years). A few reasons which come to mind:

(a) it is, for all practical purposes, a solo sport. If you are not in the sweet spot, you lose;

(b) WAY more options to spend your time and money than when I got REALLY interested in the early 70's;

(c) Listening to music sitting in one spot does not fit well with this generation when they can put in a pair of earbuds and multi-task. They are, in fact, way more interested in the music than the devices that present the music.

(d) And I would agree with the previous poster, that, for all practical purposes, dedicated 2 channel listening will almost completely fade away as does the Baby Boomer generation;

(e) The 2 channel industry has helped bring about its own eventual demise (though I don't think it will go to ZERO for quite some time). Here is a quote from J. Gordon Holt, founder of Stereophile Magazine: "As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me". It is that continued industry position that created the kind of "antagonism" that showed up on AVS and why those folks fled to friendlier places (e.g. www.WhatsBestForum.com).
ebailey likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 12-31-2018 at 07:29 PM.
audioguy is online now  
post #88 of 216 Old 12-31-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,060
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3324
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
It's easy to have bought a $50k house in 1960 and now that house would sell for $2mill and wonder why all these kids don't just buy a house.
First of all, a $50K house in 1960 would have been a mansion. I bought my first home (~1900sf) 10 years later in 1970 for $32,000 in Dallas, TX. BUT, my annual salary at the time was $12,000 (plus bonus if I made my numbers).

When I first started buying audio equipment, I bought what was "good enough" and what I could afford at that time but over time (40 years), as my income and addiction interest increased, so did the quality of my system. If I were starting today, I would do the exact same thing, only HT vs 2 channel and used vs new. Buy used and get great value. While I probably could not do much for $1000, I bet I could put a great system together for $2000 (used).

(Sort of wandering here as I am trying to watch some college football at the same time).
audioguy is online now  
post #89 of 216 Old 01-01-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,146
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
All I know is now that my buddy and I were able to get the last of my new height speakers in I should have my Atmos performance pretty close to where I want it.






Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #90 of 216 Old 01-01-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
All I know is now that my buddy and I were able to get the last of my new height speakers in I should have my Atmos performance pretty close to where I want it.






You added more speakers?!

Your system is already outstanding... but who am I to question adding more after achieving excellence?!

(BTW- found a Pinot I think you might like! I’ve had 3 bottles over the last 2-3 weeks. Earthy, border like

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
thebland is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off