Pathetic inactivity on this forum - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 305Likes

post #181 of 216 Old 06-08-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4577 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Survey: Mobile Time Outpacing TV Time for U.S. Adults

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...time-us-adults

No comment... 😞😔😒
Those survey results don't come close to surprising me. EVERYWHERE you look, folks have their heads buried in their smart phones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 216 Old 06-08-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Ask Stu Drucker about his family's move from one downtown high-rise Chicago luxury condo to larger one. Their realtor insisted he dismantle & remove the bulk of his AV setup, leaving just the flat panel plus hide all shiny discs. This might have been pre-Trinnov or just after his getting it. I don't think he had his PJ setup then, but still a big inconvenience until they made the move & he could start all over.
I don't know how I missed this, but doing one of my periodic searches on "Trinnov" on AVS turned up your post, Steve.

To clarify, I actually had a multipurpose room (an L-shaped living/dining room ) at the time. Our realtor freaked out when she saw where we had our sofa relative to the Panasonic VT50 plasma TV we had then, as well as the subwoofers in near field placement and big tower speakers placed at a 30 degree angle for seating. Not to mention the pairs of surrounds, with one almost jutting into a hallway opening, and our carpeting.

She made us replace the carpeting, which nicely absorbed some floor-level reflections, with bamboo floors, and along with the shiny disc storage, wanted us to get rid of the subs and all but two front speakers. Since we had heard it would take three months or more to sell given our local market, I basically told her "hell no".

I got her to compromise and do 1/4 & 3/4 sub placement in the back of the room, with them serving as impromptu artistically rendered end tables , complete with architecture magazines on top , for a small sofa she also brought in for staging. But she ruined my sound by effectively wiping out front to rear transition by sticking my bookshelf surrounds of the time next to the subs, about 12 feet from our sofa, which she squashed about six feet from the TV, then narrowing my L/R speaker angle to more like +/- 15 degrees.

I actually had a Sherwood R-972 then, before we got the Altitude. Not even the 3D remapping as implemented in the fixed Trinnov tech of the R-972 could save that sound. Needless to say, it was painful to listen to, and the room because harsh and even more reflective than it was.

While I appreciate the praise, I wouldn't call our place (then or now) "luxury" by downtown Chicago standards. More like "nice to live in", but about location and neighborhood access. True luxury here is about 50% more than either the old or newer condo is worth, with Subzero fridges, Viking ovens and Brazil wood floors, which is pretty deep into the 1% world and second homes for empty nesters or suburbanites. And if we sell our place down the road, I think I would have to convert the HT room into a family/second living room again. Unless you find exactly the right buyer - maybe someone that's a corporate exec looking to entertain - it's far more likely someone buying our three bedroom would want that separate living room. We just made a conscious decision to have a small living room rather than a dining and living room...at least here, dining rooms are kind of archaic unless you have family or friends over often rather than hitting our Restaurant Row. And with a young child, he certainly appreciates being able to watch the new UHD Batman Atmos release or Apollo 13 at home in his "movie theatre".

Quote:
I don't have a custom HT room, call mine a dedicated AV media room but adding in the Trinnov, I estimate I have close to $100K in gear, speakers, subs, cables & accessories in that room - way beyond the normal household.
Probably more than me given that I did a lot of trade-up and industry contact/demo gear shopping to get to my room . But anyone reading this thread isn't typical either.

In a condo, at least, even a dedicated room isn't in the same class as what a guy like Art, @thebland , or @mikela let alone Rob Hahn can do with a custom built room having proper sound isolation, noise isolation clips, planned dynamic range, or baffle walls designed into the construction from the beginning. Those are truly setting the pace for the rest of us. But still, I'd like to think that we created a nice HT space that shows what is possible in an urban hi-rise environment with some thought and taking advantage of the Altitude's capabilities, with a focus on on axis sound and good bass for our row of three seats.
thebland and ss9001 like this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 06-08-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #183 of 216 Old 06-08-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 626
^^
Sorry I over-generalized your situation, Stu. I knew you & the realtor had "differences" & you had to make big changes to the room layout & gear to keep the realtor happy. My wife on her own would probably just put it on the market "as-is".

I didn't create a true custom HT and all that entails. Mine is a rectangular room, even though totally dedicated to audio/video. It would need wall-ceiling repairs, fresh paint, new carpet and some layout work to make it a conventional room. In that respect I think your space & mine have similarities. IF we ever moved, I'd build a media room knowing now what I didn't know 27 yrs ago - no window, a several feet wider & deeper, all hidden cabling, some sound isolation and with multiple built-in rack closets vs. using Salamanders and running cables back & forth through a wall to where my amps, switchers & control gear are located. With a wider room, I could even fit a PJ screen between the front wall-divider Maggies!

Maybe I should be promoting a move instead of resisting it
sdrucker likes this.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 06-08-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 216 Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe I should be promoting a move instead of resisting it
Just let me know when you have the move planned to make sure I'm out of the country.

Forget about all of the stuff you would have to do to put your theater back to a more traditional living space. Think of all of the STUFF you have in drawers and closets and attics and garages and wherever that you have collected for the last 27 years!!

The thought of moving to a home with a basement crosses my mind on very rare occasions. I, like you, would have to return my current theater to a more traditional space (probably something >$20K). And forget about moving all of our regular furniture and junk. Think of what is involved in building a new room (designing, building, wiring, painting, drywall, etc, etc, etc) and then dismantling, packing, moving and re-installing all of the 47,000 miles of speaker wire, HDMI cables, internet switches, components, speaker set up, calibration, etc. THAT ALONE instantly quells any thoughts about moving. Like you, I have moved a lot in the last 50 years and the next one will hopefully be out of here in a rectangular box to a permanent resting place.

Rip my teeth out without benefit of Novocain but PLEASE don't ever make me move again. PLEASE!!
G-Rex, ss9001, LydMekk and 2 others like this.
post #185 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Haven’t visited this forum for a while but it is amazing that so few people are involved here. The first page goes all the way back to mid October. I guess the millennials don’t care much about this stuff and the baby boomers who might have given up the ghost of chasing the holly grail of audiophile nirvana. I know that I have as high end audio has become a stupidly expensive hobby, music doesn’t excite me that much anymore and my hearing has wained. Too bad, it was fun. Thirty years ago the best preamp cost $2,500-5,000 as did the best amps. The best speakers cost $5,000-10,000. Now the best of everything runs you $50,000-150,000, crazy! All the utes want now are a pair of $20 earbuds and a streaming JBL boombox. Sad. Regards. Ned.
I know this is an old post I'm replying to, but the idea that millenials aren't interested in high-end gear because they simply don't care sounds like nonsense to me. I mean, hasn't even occurred to the OP that millennials can't afford this stuff? Go from the sub $3000 forum to this one and compare the average age of users between them. I was born in 1985, so I guess I'm a millennial. Can I afford this stuff? No, I can't. The only high-end gear I own are business projectors that were expensive 10 years ago. I'm glad that's possible nowadays. But that's not going to happen the same way with the home theater gear. It doesn't mean I'm not interested.

Besides, it seems to me the only good thing about this thread is that it disproves itself. There's plenty of activity on this forum everyday.

Cheers!
post #186 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 514
One of the things that most people do not "get" about is this --- details ---- little details. That enveloping sound, the clarity of instruments, the feel of the bass, the crispiness of the image, the natural colors, the contrast. They feel "good" when they see it or hear it, but they do not know how you can get that "goodness", have no preoccupation for "better" or "perfection". They settle with what works, yeah, whatever...

Most people are everywhere, every age, every culture or country. This is not against millennials or boomers, or any group.

Details make the difference! And very few are willing to go that extra mile.
Art Sonneborn and sdrucker like this.

"OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more
LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #187 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
One of the things that most people do not "get" about is this --- details ---- little details. That enveloping sound, the clarity of instruments, the feel of the bass, the crispiness of the image, the natural colors, the contrast. They feel "good" when they see it or hear it, but they do not know how you can get that "goodness", have no preoccupation for "better" or "perfection". They settle with what works, yeah, whatever...

Most people are everywhere, every age, every culture or country. This is not against millennials or boomers, or any group.

Very few can afford it, although they are more than willing. If anyone is reading this thread on this section of the forum, it’s most likely because they don’t really want to settle with what works. I surely don’t want, but I’ll do settle with the best I can afford. Meanwhile, I’ll be spending a lot more time on the under 3000 section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #188 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Except that the “extra mile” starts with knowledge of home acoustics, placement of speakers and subs, along with measurement gear and critical listening material to access changes in the room. And when/what to treat. That costs your time, or your money to hire a certified integrator.

This is a start: they get amazing results with mid level Triad bookshelves, up to four subs, and basic absorption.

https://homeacoustics.org/training/
dfa973 likes this.

Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
post #189 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 678
The title of this thread should be changed to "Unpathetic Activity On This Forum"!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #190 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
post #191 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Go over to HTF.

Art
?????

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #192 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
?????
If you think this place has inactivity.
post #193 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
?????
I think HTF = Home Theater Forum = https://www.hometheaterforum.com
post #194 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I think HTF = Home Theater Forum = https://www.hometheaterforum.com
I used to read that but the tumbleweeds started blowing a few years ago through the sub-forums. And there's little to no Trinnov content, unless you want to go back to the Bronze Age and the days of the Sherwood R-972.

post #195 of 216 Old 06-17-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
If you think this place has inactivity.
I don't. The dude who started this thread thinks that. I was just wondering what you meant by HTF (Home Theater Forum) and now I get it.

post #196 of 216 Old 06-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
I don't know how I missed this, but doing one of my periodic searches on "Trinnov" on AVS turned up your post, Steve.

To clarify, I actually had a multipurpose room (an L-shaped living/dining room ) at the time.

I am missing something here. What exactly was the problem the realtor had with your setup? Was this at the old place or new place? Was this before the old unit was sold, or when you moved into the new one?

SOTA Nova (III)/Jelco TS-550S/Grado Sonata V2/Parasound JC 3 Jr and Zpre3/Parasound A23+/TEAC A-2520/Philharmonic BMR
post #197 of 216 Old 06-21-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TCycleHum View Post
I am missing something here. What exactly was the problem the realtor had with your setup? Was this at the old place or new place? Was this before the old unit was sold, or when you moved into the new one?
It was in our old place, before I had a dedicated HT room, so roughly the summer of 2015.

We had an L-shaped living/dining room: living room was 23x15 if memory servers, and dining are was something like 14x9. Her problem was that I had my two subs of the time positioned on either side of our sofa in the back 1/3 of the room, and my surrounds were slightly behind them. On top of that, my mains were spread at about 30 degrees, which had them fairly wide into the area where you'd walk from the living to the dining room (no wall, in the days of multipurpose room living.).

Basically she wanted the speakers to be right next to our TV (a Panasonic plasma VT50 before I got a JVC RS600 PJ) rather than angled out a bit, she wanted the surrounds on the back of the room rather than at a proper angle for MLP, and she pushed MLP from the back 1/3 of the room to more like the front 1/3. But her biggest issue was recommending we get rid of our absorbent (albeit old), carpeting and go to an unadorned bamboo floor. There was a look she was going for to stage our place, and that was what drove our "compromise". And of course (this was 2015), she wanted me to get rid of the subs if possible.

post #198 of 216 Old 06-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
Basically she wanted the speakers to be right next to our TV (a Panasonic plasma VT50 before I got a JVC RS600 PJ) rather than angled out a bit, she wanted the surrounds on the back of the room rather than at a proper angle for MLP, and she pushed MLP from the back 1/3 of the room to more like the front 1/3. But her biggest issue was recommending we get rid of our absorbent (albeit old), carpeting and go to an unadorned bamboo floor. There was a look she was going for to stage our place, and that was what drove our "compromise". And of course (this was 2015), she wanted me to get rid of the subs if possible.
And did following that advice sell your place faster?
post #199 of 216 Old 06-21-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
And did following that advice sell your place faster?
Hard to tell, the relative value of our unit and a potential special assessment were factors too.

post #200 of 216 Old 06-22-2019, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Go over to HTF.

Art
plus home theater shack and audioholics. Both places are slow as molasses as well. it’s pretty much only AVS these days

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Revel Studio2 Pair - gloss black
post #201 of 216 Old 06-22-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
plus home theater shack and audioholics. Both places are slow as molasses as well. it’s pretty much only AVS these days

I think Emo Lounge may have activity in the RMC-1 thread
drh3b likes this.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 06-22-2019 at 05:26 AM.
post #202 of 216 Old 06-23-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think Emo Lounge may have activity in the RMC-1 thread
For grins, I went there and checked it out. Emotiva should stick with amplifiers and maybe speakers. They can't seem to get out of their own way with processors. If you read that thread, it is clear they have little to no understanding of even how Atmos is even supposed to work. Simply amazing.
post #203 of 216 Old 06-23-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
AVS has been the far more active home theater forum for as long as I have been wandering the AV segment of the internet (about 18 years).
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #204 of 216 Old 06-23-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hard to tell, the relative value of our unit and a potential special assessment were factors too.
OT: By the way, Stu, we spent the previous 5 days in your city. I have probably been to Chicago 20 or more times but always on business. So my wife and I and other couple who use to live there a long time ago, went for a pleasure visit. While I could never live there (weather and traffic), I absolutely loved the city. The architectural tour on the river was simply stunning. The growth is phenomenal (we were told that there were 42 new buildings completed in downtown in the last 12 months !!). Lots of great restaurants, nice people, and lots to do. We saw two productions while we were there ("Hamilton" and "Pride and Joy: The Marvin Gaye Musical"). Also went to the Museum of Science and Industry, visited the top of the Hancock Building (of course), did a Hop-off/Hop-on Open Top Bus Tour, ate Chicago Pizza, and Chicago Hot Dogs, did a Horse-Drawn Carriage Tour of Chicago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

I could never tolerate the winters but you live in a beautiful city.
post #205 of 216 Old 06-24-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
You know I was perusing through the thread and there was one more thing I thought I'd bring up (Or maybe I missed it in my reading) in regards to the generational gap and this hobby... millennials aren't nearly as gungho about buying stuff as the previous generations. A lot of them want experiences, not items collecting in a house. Yes, millennials have less comparable discretionary income vs previous generations. But it's more than that. Technology has disrupted materialism in unforeseen ways.The need to get a car right away? That's way down too, because the idea of having freedom to go out and meet up with your friends can be done now without ever leaving the house. Or hey, if you're not driving around that much and working from home? Ride sharing will fill in the gap. As a weird analogy, I'd say the up and coming generation here in the USA is more 'European' in that they're willing to spend more for a good unique meal and drink while foregoing more square footage for their living space. And none of this is bad, it's just a different way to live a life. It does hurt our beloved hobby a little though. ^_^

Sources:

https://kb.osu.edu/handle/1811/76668

https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakemo.../#2fd3cce6522f
Art Sonneborn and dfa973 like this.
post #206 of 216 Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
You know I was perusing through the thread and there was one more thing I thought I'd bring up (Or maybe I missed it in my reading) in regards to the generational gap and this hobby... millennials aren't nearly as gungho about buying stuff as the previous generations. A lot of them want experiences, not items collecting in a house. Yes, millennials have less comparable discretionary income vs previous generations. But it's more than that. Technology has disrupted materialism in unforeseen ways.The need to get a car right away? That's way down too, because the idea of having freedom to go out and meet up with your friends can be done now without ever leaving the house. Or hey, if you're not driving around that much and working from home? Ride sharing will fill in the gap. As a weird analogy, I'd say the up and coming generation here in the USA is more 'European' in that they're willing to spend more for a good unique meal and drink while foregoing more square footage for their living space. And none of this is bad, it's just a different way to live a life. It does hurt our beloved hobby a little though. ^_^

Sources:

https://kb.osu.edu/handle/1811/76668

https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakemo.../#2fd3cce6522f
I think there are a host of reasons this is occurring, including the above. I have quit giving "stuff" to my kids and grandkids for birthdays and Christmas. I give "experiences" (e.g. a vacation at the beach where they and I can all experience it together). I finally realized that, for example, on Christmas morning, the gifts I provided among the other trillion they received became non-entities 30 days later. They had already quit using them and forget where they got them.

I still maintain, however, that the number of choices millennials have for "entertainment" are so, so much larger than I had when growing up. And the cost of entry into this hobby is not cheap, even with a very basic starter system (TV, surround processor/amp, at least 5 speakers and a sub - and a place to put them). And lest we forget, even amongst those of us who "qualify" to be part of this fun but insane hobby, a minuscule percent do.

None of this takes away from my own enjoyment but it seems clear that the number of home theaters (however you may choose to define that), will continue to be a declining number.
Art Sonneborn, chirpie and hrotti like this.

Last edited by audioguy; 06-24-2019 at 02:48 PM.
post #207 of 216 Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I think there are a host of reasons this is occurring, including the above. I have quit giving "stuff" to my kids and grandkids for birthdays and Christmas. I give "experiences" (e.g. a vacation at the beach where they and I can all experience it together). I finally realized that, for example, on Christmas morning, the gifts I provided among the other trillion they received became non-entities 30 days later. They had already quit using them and forget where they got them.

I still maintain, however, that the number of choices millennials have for "entertainment" are so, so much larger than I had when growing up. And the cost of entry into this hobby is not cheap, even with a very basic starter system (TV, surround processor/amp, at least 5 speakers and a sub - and a place to put them). And lest we forget, even amongst those of us who "qualify" to be part of this fun but insane hobby, a minuscule percent do.

None of this takes away from my own enjoyment but it seems clear that the number of home theaters (however you may choose to define that), will continue to be a declining number.
One reason there may not be is that as the Millennials get older, they'll be less active. With kids, a home theatre can represent a substantial savings over the cost of movie, dinner and a sitter for a family with multiple kids. And with the right education (LOL), and being tech forward, wanting to replicate the experience of a movie theatre in a more personal environment for less cost on the margin might be a draw. If anything they could still have the social dimension - invite the friends over and watch a movie - more than the Xers or Boomers did since they're so much of a collective (at least in the media).

It's the same logic used to sell luxury cars..you care more about comfort and brand name when you're older, supposedly. That's not to say that other than the ultra high end, Trinnov-equipped rooms with a Sony laser or JBL Synthesis are going to dramatically increase in numbers. But in a global market, where can they represent luxury and "making it" in the affluent Russian, Chinese, or Indian HH, and there's more class divides than in the US, that might still happen.

post #208 of 216 Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One reason there may not be is that as the Millennials get older, they'll be less active. With kids, a home theatre can represent a substantial savings over the cost of movie, dinner and a sitter for a family with multiple kids. And with the right education (LOL), and being tech forward, wanting to replicate the experience of a movie theatre in a more personal environment for less cost on the margin might be a draw. If anything they could still have the social dimension - invite the friends over and watch a movie - more than the Xers or Boomers did since they're so much of a collective (at least in the media).

It's the same logic used to sell luxury cars..you care more about comfort and brand name when you're older, supposedly. That's not to say that other than the ultra high end, Trinnov-equipped rooms with a Sony laser or JBL Synthesis are going to dramatically increase in numbers. But in a global market, where can they represent luxury and "making it" in the affluent Russian, Chinese, or Indian HH, and there's more class divides than in the US, that might still happen.
Of course we are all speculating. By the time Millennials have the expendable income and chose to invest in a high end audio/video "experience", VR related technology may be the rage. And, quite frankly, that approach fits in with so many that interact "socially" via smart phone/table/"social" media. Now that I think about it, maybe the movie "Ready Player One" wasn't just a movie but a possible forecast (less the demolition of cities) of things to come.

Who knows!!
dfa973 likes this.
post #209 of 216 Old 06-26-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really like your idea of giving "experiences" - travel, vacations to unusual places, or whatever form it may take. A wonderful life-expanding concept!

Steve
post #210 of 216 Old 06-26-2019, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
As someone who also has a dedicated room for our home theater...I can tell you it's like a pool to most ppl. They love the idea of a pool, they love coming over and swimming in your pool and they admire how nice it is to have a pool....but do they personally want a pool? Not really...

We are selling our house right now. Besides not having a big backyard....the second strike against a purchase is the dedicated HT (we left the windows framed out, but sheetrocked over them-not too expensive to convert back)....they really would prefer to convert the home theater to a family room or into the 4th bedroom. I've set up demo's for those that come back for a second visit. I leave a great example of sports (good dvr recording of a KC Chiefs game) on during visits and open houses....the report back is potential buyers LOVED the room, but would prefer to convert it back to a bedroom etc.
Well an update on our Home (and HT ) sale....

We may have found a buyer that WANTS the home theater. They just completed inspections yesterday. I had set a price for keeping 80% of the equipment (minus some furman products and the 7 channel amp -they can use the internal amps in the NAD receiver). I cleared out the equipment room of cables, movies etc etc....rewired everything to stream line the system...no need to jump behind the rack anymore. So, they now have two source components, the Panny UHD player and the googleTV box. I'll write up some directions and have offered a walk through after the close. I do not want to become their AV tech. I know they have NO IDEA what they've bought....they just liked the demo's I would leave on when they would come over to see the house. I think the key was showing a high quality rebroadcast of an NFL game I had on the DVR....wow, you can watch "reg" TV in here too was a common statement during showings.

It's still obvious most do not want to dedicate a room for a home theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page