Official Sony VPL-VW995ES/870ES 4K Laser Owner’s Discussion - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 658Likes

post #61 of 1058 Old 12-21-2018, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
After owning the 5000 on a 14’ wide 1.0 gain screen I would never dip below a 5000 AL projector. That said, there is a huge hole that needs to be filled by Sony or even JVC for a 3000 AL projector for such scenarios as a 12’ wide or so (1.0 gain) or 13’ wide (1.3 gain) screen. This seems to be the sweet spot for the majority of theaters and instead many flirt with screens that are slightly too large for their 1800 AL projectors. I always thought for the 995’s price, it should have been bumped to at least 2500 AL or perhaps even 3000. I am sure the 995 is a great projector for the right screen size. It appears at a relatively high laser setting the 995 works fine for Joerod’s screen size, but I am sure that any bigger and a dim image would quickly result. Let’s not forget other factors such as the room colors, light control, throw distance... which can bring out a best case scenario image given a projector’s limited AL.
A bump in lumens for the 995 would have giving arguably the most compelling reason to upgrade (even over the lens) for many people.

Wait until next year, when you will probably get a vw3000 or similar with 3-3.5k lumens and a manual iris.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
A bump in lumens for the 995 would have giving arguably the most compelling reason to upgrade (even over the lens) for many people.

Wait until next year, when you will probably get a vw3000 or similar with 3-3.5k lumens and a manual iris.
Hi Archibald1,
I am enjoying your deep knowledge of this projector. Have you also seen it’s HDR performance on an 11 foot wide screen at all?
post #63 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
Looking st s Strato for my new theater.

Don’t know much about these.

How much space does a Blu-ray occupy and a 4K disc?

Can you store movies on 3rd party hard drives?

Most studios on board?

Do the KScape new release have Atmos (like most 4K disc releases)?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4793 Post(s)
Liked: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Most studios on board?

Thanks.
You can browse their catalog and see the audio tracks, movie sizes etc here: https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/
It looks like UHD HDR are 50-60gb each and have whatever audio track the UHD had.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #65 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Official Sony VPL-VW995ES/870ES 4K Laser Owner’s Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Most studios on board?

Thanks.

I have a 12GB Strato, and I only use it currently for 4K HDR movies.

From their literature:

“12TB of internal storage for up to 180 4K Ultra HD movies, 320 Blu-ray quality movies, or 1800 DVD quality movies.”

You can not use any 3rd party hardware. You would have to buy another Strato or Terra server to expand.

There are a lot of movies with Atmos on release, and some that get upgraded later. But their are still a couple studios which aren’t providing Atmos content.

Others can comment on the number of studios and amount of content missing Atmos.

UV is great but slowly dying. Movies Anywhere is desperately needed. I refuse to buy any movies on K that don’t offer digital rights, just for the fact that if K were to go under (already had one close call) and the Strato had hard drive failure, you would have no way to recover that content.

(Sorry thought this was posted in the K Strato thread)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ccool96; 12-22-2018 at 10:58 AM.
post #66 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
I have a 12GB Strato, and I only use it currently for 4K HDR movies.

From their literature:

“12TB of internal storage for up to 180 4K Ultra HD movies, 320 Blu-ray quality movies, or 1800 DVD quality movies.”

You can not use any 3rd party hardware. You would have to buy another Strato or Terra server to expand.

There are a lot of movies with Atmos on release, and some that get upgraded later. But their are still a couple studios which aren’t providing Atmos content.

Others can comment on the number of studios and amount of content missing Atmos.

UV is great but slowly dying. Movies Anywhere is desperately needed. I refuse to buy any movies on K that don’t offer digital rights, just for the fact that if K were to go under (already had one close call) and the Strato had hard drive failure, you would have no way to recover that content.

(Sorry thought this was posted in the K Strato thread)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Got it.. Good to know, that's essentially my whole collection!!

Good points on the digital rights. I hadn't considered that aspect - and an important one considering the company's history.

(I'll copy / paste to other thread !)

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #67 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Would NOT recommend this projector for screens much bigger than 10' wide, unless they are of the higher gain variety. Light output is very much on par with the previous 885. Plenty of light for screens if SDR is desired (easily over 10 ft wide) but not so much for HDR targets (around 30 fL).
Kris,

I'm sure you did not mean to toss a wet blanket, but in all honesty almost all projectors other than Sony's 5000 and JVC Z1 won't qualify with those numbers for HDR at over 10' ,I guess no big surprise there as the specs are at 2200 before calibration.
In case of using the zoom lens could one pull off much more than desired 30fl with 11' wide screen at 9.5'-10' throw distance ?
post #68 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 6529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2C View Post
Quote:
Would NOT recommend this projector for screens much bigger than 10' wide, unless they are of the higher gain variety. Light output is very much on par with the previous 885. Plenty of light for screens if SDR is desired (easily over 10 ft wide) but not so much for HDR targets (around 30 fL).
Kris,

I'm sure you did not mean to toss a wet blanket, but in all honesty almost all projectors other than Sony's 5000 and JVC Z1 won't qualify with those numbers for HDR at over 10' ,I guess no big surprise there as the specs are at 2200 before calibration.
In case of using the zoom lens could one pull off much more than desired 30fl with 11' wide screen at 9.5'-10' throw distance ?
As long as your in the zoom range you will get closer. I am in agreement with your statement on the Z1 and 5000, my post was because someone else said this projector had plenty of light for a 12-14’ screen and I was making sure that people didn’t automatically assume that was the case for all setups and video signals.

It proceeded into a thread of saying I was an idiot for actually measuring anything because who needs that. I’m wondering if HT people are also idiots for measuring their audio systems as well. Or should I just plug it all in and say it’s loud enough when I turn the little circle thing all the way up.

I think quite a few people were hoping the 995 would be somewhere in the middle between the 5000 and 885 for brightness. That is a spot that I think many would love to see a product in. The 4500 is definitely brighter but obviously care needs to be taken in setup or it can be too loud. The last two I was hired to calibrate where in a different room or bush box so it wasn’t an issue but not everyone has that luxury. I would like to see manufacturers start moving the lasers to modules that are separate from the chassis so cooling isn’t as much of an issue. Fiber cabling is super cheap.
Archibald1 likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #69 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
As long as your in the zoom range you will get closer. I am in agreement with your statement on the Z1 and 5000, my post was because someone else said this projector had plenty of light for a 12-14’ screen and I was making sure that people didn’t automatically assume that was the case for all setups and video signals.

It proceeded into a thread of saying I was an idiot for actually measuring anything because who needs that. I’m wondering if HT people are also idiots for measuring their audio systems as well. Or should I just plug it all in and say it’s loud enough when I turn the little circle thing all the way up.

I think quite a few people were hoping the 995 would be somewhere in the middle between the 5000 and 885 for brightness. That is a spot that I think many would love to see a product in. The 4500 is definitely brighter but obviously care needs to be taken in setup or it can be too loud. The last two I was hired to calibrate where in a different room or bush box so it wasn’t an issue but not everyone has that luxury. I would like to see manufacturers start moving the lasers to modules that are separate from the chassis so cooling isn’t as much of an issue. Fiber cabling is super cheap.
I have read Joe's review, it would be a treat for the followers of Sony.
I think I was able to separate the wheat from the chaff along with Ekki's earlier comparison certain aspects and findings did coincide.
With that said and with all due respect to Joe's contribution, I would love to see some numbers that substantiate his impressions, that is certainly called for otherwise a layperson's great could hardly qualify for one's merely good.
I don't know who were those few people who were hoping the 995 to be in the middle between 5000 and 885, maybe in terms of overall PQ but for brightness ?
C'mon man... 2200 lumens?! Those extra 200lm to last year's will easily be lost in calibration and most likely be imperceptible to the naked eye.
We need 3500lm and up for screens above 10' wide for HDR, hopefully JVC and Sony will dial in next year laser models Z2 and 1055
I myself was hoping for better numbers in contrast with Sony and better laser dimming, even before you publish your review I sense another disappointing year in that field. Yes it will throw a great picture but....
Unfortunately for us -luckily for Sony ,JVC did not show up for the prom, yet.
I think it is a pass for me this time though I wait your opinion and interesting comparisons.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #70 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here 2C View Post
C'mon man... 2200 lumens?! Those extra 200lm to last year's will easily be lost in calibration and most likely be imperceptible to the naked eye.
We need 3500lm and up for screens above 10' wide for HDR, hopefully JVC and Sony will dial in next year laser models Z2 and 1055[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
I myself was hoping for better numbers in contrast with Sony and better laser dimming, even before you publish your review I sense another disappointing year in that field. Yes it will throw a great picture but....
Unfortunately for us -luckily for Sony ,JVC did not show up for the prom, yet.
I think it is a pass for me this time though I wait your opinion and interesting comparisons.
I didn’t think anyone thought 2200 lumens was going to give that. I meant I think there were those hoping the next Sony pj would fall between the 885 and 5000 for lumens. The bump in the 995 is just because of the difference in the lens native fstop. Same applies to the 2200 lumen spec with the new upper JVC even though it uses the same bulb as the previous line spec’ed at 2000.
Archibald1 likes this.

post #71 of 1058 Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
So we did a very nice presentation of Hell Fest this evening. Using Vudu HDR10 with Atmos sound. First off, the sound is amazing and very creepy. We get a lot of eerie noises from all directions. Tony Todd (Candyman) sounds really like he is in the room welcoming you to Hell Fest! This movie takes place at night so it should be a tough challenge being in HDR. It wasn’t. Shadow detail looked very good. Besides the apparent sharpness showing more detail than I am used to the HDR10 image was spot on. We could even make out one of the main characters jacket color of dark blue! In mostly very dark scenes and some even pitch black. There was a complete fade to black moment and the entire room was in the dark. So afterwards I asked our 6 guests including my Wife if the image was too dark and all of them immediately said no. It was perfect and they could see every detail. One said she had wished she couldn’t since this movie is not for the faint of heart. Anyway, this was a perfect test movie and the 995 passed with flying colors...

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
post #72 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn’t think anyone thought 2200 lumens was going to give that. I meant I think there were those hoping the next Sony pj would fall between the 885 and 5000 for lumens. The bump in the 995 is just because of the difference in the lens native fstop. Same applies to the 2200 lumen spec with the new upper JVC even though it uses the same bulb as the previous line spec’ed at 2000.
Indeed, I think the assumption was the intermediate model would rival the Z1 for lumens. Especially as the price is so similar.
As it stands, the only real ‘value add’ over a 760, is the lens.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #73 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 01:57 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Indeed, I think the assumption was the intermediate model would rival the Z1 for lumens. Especially as the price is so similar.
As it stands, the only real ‘value add’ over a 760, is the lens.
Not the only...

The real ‘value adds’ of the SONY 995/870ES over an 885/760ES include:

• ARC-F Lens

• 'Digital Focus Optimizer' additional video processing that helps to improve/reduce the focus uniformity issues that afflict the respective ARC-F Lens

• 'Dual Contrast' feature that produces comparatively slightly improved contrast and black level performance

The combination of which yields a significant and noticeable increase in overall video performance as compared with the 885/760ES, although personally I am of the view that all things considered, especially taking into account its calibrated light output (which is not in fact more than the 885/760ES), whilst it without a doubt produces very good video performance, it does not represent very good value for money. In short, in my opinion, the SONY 995/870ES is kinda really what the 885/760ES should have been and at $25K, not $35K... but it's a very nice projector nonetheless

Although, it's worth noting that even at this price point, the only other home theater/cinema projector that currently truly rivals it is the JVC RS4500; wherein, other than this it currently outperforms pretty much everything else out there at this price point, so I guess for this reason SONY feels the price is justified. But me personally, I would have loved for SONY to have released this as the 885/760ES; and instead released the SONY 995/870ES with 3,500 lumens plus ON/OFF contrast at least as good as the SONY 1000ES (which measures peak 300,000 - 350,000:1... which is many times greater than the SONY 995/870ES) but perhaps that's what SONY has next up its sleeve...

Craig Peer and Archibald1 like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 12-26-2018 at 05:47 PM.
post #74 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Not the only...

The real ‘value adds’ of the SONY 995/870ES over an 885/760ES include:

• ARC-F Lens

• 'Digital Focus Optimizer' additional video processing that helps to improve/reduce the focus uniformity issues that afflict the respective ARC-F Lens

• 'Dual Contrast' feature that produces comparatively slightly improved contrast and black level performance

The combination of which yields a significant and noticeable increase in overall video performance as compared with the 885/760ES, although personally I am of the view that all things considered, especially taking into account its calibrated light output (which is essentially the same as the 885/760ES), whilst it without a doubt produces very good video performance, it does not represent very good value for money. In short, in my opinion, the SONY 995/870ES is kinda really what the 885/760ES should have been and at $25K, not $35K... but it's a very nice projector nonetheless

Although, it's worth noting that even at this price point, the only other home theater/cinema projector that currently truly rivals it is the JVC RS4500; wherein, other than this it currently outperforms pretty much everything else out there at this price point, so I guess for this reason SONY feels the price is justified. But me personally, I would have loved for SONY to have released this as the 885/760ES; and instead released the SONY 995/870ES with 3,500 lumens plus ON/OFF contrast at least as good as the SONY 1000ES (which measures peak 300,000 - 350,000:1... which is many times greater than the SONY 995/870ES) but perhaps that's what SONY has next up its sleeve...

Hi.
I did say the only 'real' value add.
Any features that could easily be added in software to another unit (760 or lower) are really just artificial differentiators, whereas the lens is a physical part that is superior to the other lenses.

As you say performance is improved without a doubt, but I suspect, not by enough with the lens alone. Which is why they have added the extra software 'glitter' to make the differences more obvious.
Even if they introduce added artifacts.

Next year will probably see a model with higher contrast and lumens, or maybe in two years when the 870 is superseded.

Stephen Hawking.
post #75 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
I would like to see manufacturers start moving the lasers to modules that are separate from the chassis so cooling isn’t as much of an issue. Fiber cabling is super cheap.
Agreed!
phara and ARROW-AV like this.
post #76 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 04:14 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6365
Quote:
I would like to see manufacturers start moving the lasers to modules that are separate from the chassis so cooling isn’t as much of an issue. Fiber cabling is super cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail View Post
Agreed!
Seconded! This would in fact also allow for projectors to be modular with respect to offering multiple light output options, wherein if you want or need more light output you can simply add more laser modules, which can also be simply rack mountable... Which is precisely the situation with respect to this new Christie projector wherein you have the choice of 5,000 lumens up to and including 30,000 lumens light output accordingly: NEW CHRISTIE HIGH CONTRAST 4K HDR RGB LASER PROJECTOR

This principle can also be applied with respect to home theater projectors, which could have been very easily done with respect to the SONY 995/870ES, offering the choice of: 2000, 3500, 5000, 7500, 10000, 15000 lumens and more, whilst utlizing the same singular projector head

I think it would be fantastic if SONY were to implement this with particuarly with respect to the successor to the SONY 5000ES, whenever that makes an appearance (hopefully next? ) where in that instance they could offer 5000, 7500, 10000, 15000, and 20000 lumens options. This way you cater for all home theater applications, requirements, and personal preferences.

Added to this I would like to see the transition forwards from singular blue laser to dual red and blue laser with green phosphor, if not full RGB laser please!

The other new Christie projector, namely the D4K40-RGB PURE LASER PROJECTOR is evidence that with the advancement in laser module technology it is now economically viable to make the move to RGB laser with home theater projectors, where this particular new projector has an MSRP of circa $150,000 with a colossal 40,000 lumens light output with true RGB laser and this is using Green Laser diodes not infrared with a wavelength frequency converter to shift the red light into the green spectrum which has the massive advantage of producing considerably less heat as a consequence. Where this projector incorporates extremely high quality and hence expensive lenses and optics to boot. However, I do not recommend this Christie D4K40-RGB projector for home theater/cinema use because unlike the flagship projector mentioned above it has poor contrast performance being only peak 5,000:1 ON/OFF contrast. But the reason why I am mentioning it is because it illustrates that fact that it is totally feasible and economically viable for SONY to release a replacement for the SONY 5000ES at the same MRSP as the SONY 5000ES which incorporates full RGB laser instead of singular blue laser through yellow phosphor. And like I have said SONY could also make it modular with multiple light output options

[PLEASE NOTE: I am referencing these aforementioned particular two Christie projectors solely because they are relevant to this discussion and not because I am seeking to promote these projectors or Christie as a brand. At the time of writing this post I have never in my life to date sold nor currently sell Christie projectors.]

The lastest SONY projectors currently only achieve circa 90% of DCI-P3, which includes the SONY 995/870ES. Moving to RGB laser would not only steam past 100% of DCI-P3 but achieve over 90% of the BT.2020 color gamut! Seriously, the step-up in video image quality and performance as a result would be very considerable indeed, especially with the ever expanding quantity of HDR content that is mastered for BT.2020 beyond DCI-P3. Kiss goodbye to orangey reds, lime coloured greens and wish-washy cyans and blues for starters

André Floyd, if you are reading this please take note! Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top!

phara and Archibald1 like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 12-26-2018 at 10:50 AM.
post #77 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
So we did a very nice presentation of Hell Fest this evening. Using Vudu HDR10 with Atmos sound. First off, the sound is amazing and very creepy. We get a lot of eerie noises from all directions. Tony Todd (Candyman) sounds really like he is in the room welcoming you to Hell Fest! This movie takes place at night so it should be a tough challenge being in HDR. It wasn’t. Shadow detail looked very good. Besides the apparent sharpness showing more detail than I am used to the HDR10 image was spot on. We could even make out one of the main characters jacket color of dark blue! In mostly very dark scenes and some even pitch black. There was a complete fade to black moment and the entire room was in the dark. So afterwards I asked our 6 guests including my Wife if the image was too dark and all of them immediately said no. It was perfect and they could see every detail. One said she had wished she couldn’t since this movie is not for the faint of heart. Anyway, this was a perfect test movie and the 995 passed with flying colors...

Hi Joerod, what a descriptive atmospheric experience. Sounds like your 12 ft wide screen is the perfect match for the new 995es HDR and all. I’m hoping to grab a demo in the first week of Jan 2019 on the same size screen. Really looking forward to it. And of course I will be reporting back. Nothing like backing up the measurements with real world experience😃👍

Paul H
post #78 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sim View Post
Hi Joerod, what a descriptive atmospheric experience. Sounds like your 12 ft wide screen is the perfect match for the new 995es HDR and all. I’m hoping to grab a demo in the first week of Jan 2019 on the same size screen. Really looking forward to it. And of course I will be reporting back. Nothing like backing up the measurements with real world experience😃👍

Paul H
His screen is just over 10' wide, not 12'.
markmon1 and ARROW-AV like this.

post #79 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Whaaa...who let the riff raff in?
post #80 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 06:58 PM

Lol. Certainly didn’t mean it as an insult, that is a great size and material for today’s projectors. My screen is only slightly wider and still works really well with the Sony for HDR. But much bigger at the same or lower gain might not provide the results some would want.

Comment was meant more so that the other poster didn’t think that Joe’s comments were based on looking at the screen size I said may be too much for getting good light for HDR.
markmon1, ARROW-AV and Archibald1 like this.

post #81 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Hi Kris,

Hmm, I think I may have been under the impression his screen was 144 inches wide due to his equipment list which has ‘Stewart Studiotek 144 ST100’. If the 144 designation represents the diagonal value, then I stand corrected👍

Paul H
post #82 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 476 Post(s)
Quoted: 6819 Post(s)
Liked: 6445
Quote:
Nothing like backing up the measurements with real world experience

Paul H
Got a link to the measurements you speak of?

Don't see any at all in Joerods review.
Craig Peer, markmon1 and ARROW-AV like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #83 of 1058 Old 12-23-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Kris,

Hmm, I think I may have been under the impression his screen was 144 inches wide due to his equipment list which has ‘Stewart Studiotek 144 ST100’. If the 144 designation represents the diagonal value, then I stand corrected👍

Paul H
He says diagonal in the first page of this thread.
markmon1 and ARROW-AV like this.

post #84 of 1058 Old 12-24-2018, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Hi @KRIS

...or other owners...

Every body is talking about max lumens but no one is talking about minimum lumens, and this is really important to know for folks with smaller screens.

Can you please measure the absolute minimum lumen you can achieve with the VW995ES.
Maybe in iris limited and laser on min.

My screen is not very big, Stewart Studiotek 106” diagonal.
My concern is still as it was with the VW885es to much light for standard content.

Thanks in advanced
post #85 of 1058 Old 12-24-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
He says diagonal in the first page of this thread.
Does he? Well I’m blowed if I can find it. He does say this however on post 22=of the first page

I do NOT want to turn this Owner’s thread into a debate but this is the complete opposite of what we are seeing. Everyone has been amazed and there is plenty of brightness. HDR looks terrific. Over 11 foot screen and as many as said it looks “OLED” like.

Maybe Joerod can clarify the position?

Hi Javs,

Yep, that was an ambiguously worded statement on my part. Let me clarify my position. As I see it there is a difference in view being thrashed out in this thread regarding the value of measurement and target fl for HDR on screens over 10ft wide vs real world subjective viewing impressions. Kris Deering is firmly in the measurement camp and has strongly advised caution in pairing this projector with screens over 10 ft wide for HDR. Joerod represents the ‘eyeball’ test approach. If it looks great with uncompromied shadow detail, great colours sharpness etc on a screen wider than 10 ft then what is the problem. I am inclined more towards the Joerod view although I can also see the value of measurement. My view is very practical and that is test out the projector on your screen size with a home dem. Kris isn’t too far away from this when he urges caution. I suspect his firm view of NOT recommending screen sizes over 10ft was the spark that lit this debate. The problem is that the eye is very adaptable and as such there is probably a greater margin of tolerance for satisfactory subjective viewing than measurements on their own can address.

But to return to my unclear statement, it should have read, there is nothing like checking recommended measurements with real world viewing and personal taste.

Paul H
post #86 of 1058 Old 12-24-2018, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirodk View Post
Hi @KRIS

...or other owners...

Every body is talking about max lumens but no one is talking about minimum lumens, and this is really important to know for folks with smaller screens.

Can you please measure the absolute minimum lumen you can achieve with the VW995ES.
Maybe in iris limited and laser on min.

My screen is not very big, Stewart Studiotek 106” diagonal.
My concern is still as it was with the VW885es to much light for standard content.

Thanks in advanced
If you have too many lumens, you can always add an ND-filter (Neutral density) in front of your lens.
phara and mirodk like this.
post #87 of 1058 Old 12-24-2018, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail View Post
If you have too many lumens, you can always add an ND-filter (Neutral density) in front of your lens.
The thing with this is it will irritate me spending this amount of money on this projector with high quality lens and then degrade the picture quality with an ND filter, I have tried it before and I don’t like it.
Maybe 200$ for the ND-filter I have tried isn’t enough spent.

...and also have to remove it every time I watch HDR
post #88 of 1058 Old 12-24-2018, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Paul H
Actually my screen is a little over 10 and a half feet wide closer to 11 feet. It was custom made by Stewart to fit my entire “area” so I could maximize the viewing area. Still though being able to compare it directly to the 5000 (where others can’t) on the same screen shows no difference. And the fact some didn’t even notice until I pointed out we were using the “smaller” projector they couldn’t tell. Awesome for the 995. More movies coming over the next few days.

Merry Christmas everyone.

post #89 of 1058 Old 12-24-2018, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
It’s actually closer to 11 feet wide. I will measure when we get back home. It was custom made to fit my viewing area. I do know it is a little under 11 foot. Thanks for reading my stuff. And you posted you didn’t care.

Paul Sim likes this.

post #90 of 1058 Old 12-24-2018, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I did take a couple photos yesterday with the games on. I’m saving them for part 2 of my 995 Review with Measurements. One shows with lights almost fully on and how well you can still see the game. Another will show with them reduced by 30%. The 995 laser lumens have proven they are plenty bright. It also doesn’t make our room too warm like the 5000 does.

Paul Sim likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page