Official Sony VPL-VW995ES/870ES 4K Laser Owner’s Discussion - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 658Likes

post #1051 of 1058 Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Just to add, any settings by one person will not suit another. It is best to try both (many options) and go with the ones that look best to YOU.

100% so many variables to consider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Archibald1 likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1058 Old 08-07-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by gattorodolfo View Post
updated from 760 to 870 I have had it for 4 months now. I was undecided because I read that the differences were minimal. as far as I'm concerned, I can say that the differences are important.
more light, more detail and the most important difference a record-breaking sharpness now seems to look out the window.
I am very happy with the change
Also, in most cases, the cost to change from 760 to 870 is LARGE and the differences (to me) are not worth the extra cash.

@hasta666 I would wait until September as the 760 is due for update/replacement then, if Sony remain historically consistent that is.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #1053 of 1058 Old 08-07-2019, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 120
No new projectors from Sony and JVC announced. Rumours have it there will be no upgrades/new models this year from both of them.

Especially since JVC was struggling so hard with their NX line-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1058 Old 08-07-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
No new projectors from Sony and JVC announced. Rumours have it there will be no upgrades/new models this year from both of them.

Especially since JVC was struggling so hard with their NX line-up.
If that is the case then I will be surprised, but on the other hand, that might explain the major firmware update for the 760 that we all thought would not happen.

I am all for supporting these things for longer with feature and performance updates! They have the processing chops for auto tone mapping I reckon as well, so I would like to see that added on the 760 and 870!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #1055 of 1058 Old 08-07-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
If that is the case then I will be surprised, but on the other hand, that might explain the major firmware update for the 760 that we all thought would not happen.

I am all for supporting these things for longer with feature and performance updates! They have the processing chops for auto tone mapping I reckon as well, so I would like to see that added on the 760 and 870!
I would love to see an added Auto tone map but emailing some people who are close to Sony they have responded with metadata at most time being incorrect they don't see no point in putting in adding that feature in. I personally believe that the metadata on these discs will get better and more accurate in the future. I guess time will tell.
Archibald1 likes this.

God Bless,
post #1056 of 1058 Old 08-07-2019, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
The main thing (difference) you will find is the extra sharpness of the ARC-F lens allows you to turn down the RC for a more natural but just as detailed picture.
Since several weeks I have the RC on my VW760 at 0 for UHD material. I'd like to note that the perceived sharpness was not reduced by doing so. The VW760 lense is certainly not perfect but at least good enough to me for distinguishing between a mediocre and a very good UHD BD.
I have to mention that I have the zone based automatic convergence correction deactivated (in the service menu). Here IMO less is more. Furthermore I hardly use any lense shift. If you check the R. Masciola resolution patterns (or those on the new Spears&Munsil UHD evaluation disk) any artifacts by the RC and sharpness sliders become quite obvious.

So for me the ARC-F lense is certainly useful for a very big screen and if you you are using a lot of lense shift. The better the lense the less chromatic aberration. However I think that the advantage of the VW995 ARC-F lense is partially hampered by the chroma upsampling with the Sony. I note a half a pixel shift between luma and chroma judged by the S&M UHD HDR benchmark disk. Despite the excellent lense the full and perfect UHD resolution is not achieved due to the limitations of the upscaling process. I hope that future chips will be able to allow full 10 bit chroma processing which seems just not to be the case now.
darksets and Archibald1 like this.
post #1057 of 1058 Old 08-07-2019, 08:07 AM

Official Sony VPL-VW995ES/870ES 4K Laser Owner’s Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mori* View Post
Since several weeks I have the RC on my VW760 at 0 for UHD material. I'd like to note that the perceived sharpness was not reduced by doing so. The VW760 lense is certainly not perfect but at least good enough to me for distinguishing between a mediocre and a very good UHD BD.

I have to mention that I have the zone based automatic convergence correction deactivated (in the service menu). Here IMO less is more. Furthermore I hardly use any lense shift. If you check the R. Masciola resolution patterns (or those on the new Spears&Munsil UHD evaluation disk) any artifacts by the RC and sharpness sliders become quite obvious.

So for me the ARC-F lense is certainly useful for a very big screen and if you you are using a lot of lense shift. The better the lense the less chromatic aberration. However I think that the advantage of the VW995 ARC-F lense is partially hampered by the chroma upsampling with the Sony. I note a half a pixel shift between luma and chroma judged by the S&M UHD HDR benchmark disk. Despite the excellent lense the full and perfect UHD resolution is not achieved due to the limitations of the upscaling process. I hope that future chips will be able to allow full 10 bit chroma processing which seems just not to be the case now.

I have turn my RC off on my 870Es no need for it too be honest image looks great. I know with the 870es they have upgraded the processing board with the link I provided earlier down the posts.

https://www.cepro.com/photo/sony_4k_...mance_traits/1

Quote:
Sony processing board

Sony's new Motionflow and 12-bit imaging processing are powered on a newly designed circuit board within its 2018 projector products.
I have the spears and munsil UHD disk will have to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eventidal and Archibald1 like this.

God Bless,

Last edited by Franin; 08-07-2019 at 04:31 PM.
post #1058 of 1058 Old 08-07-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I have turn my RC off on my 870Es no need for it too be honest image looks great. I know with the 870es they have upgraded the processing board with the link I provided earlier down the posts.

Sony processing board

Sony's new Motionflow and 12-bit imaging processing are powered on a newly designed circuit board within its 2018 projector products.
Which in turn were upgraded to match the 760. The 270, 570, 760 and 870 all have the same board.

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 08-15-2019 at 04:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page