Official Sony VPL-VW995ES/870ES 4K Laser Owner’s Discussion - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 866Likes

post #1441 of 1452 Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Video shows different menu options / selections >>in real time<< on screen:

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...089693-60.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1452 Old 01-28-2020, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by refohs View Post
Video shows different menu options / selections >>in real time<< on screen:

https://youtu.be/9NIn-LYQFvM

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...089693-60.html
I believe that was the original 3.000 firmware used in that video and the actual version on that (probable) demo unit is never actually shown..

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #1443 of 1452 Old 02-09-2020, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
I have had my mind set on this projector for over a year. I dreamed about it. Reading so much on this forum, pros and cons, I am wondering should I go through with my plans. Or perhaps order a JVC RS4500? What is causing me doubts, just from memory while I type this is: blobs, uniformity, lens with some kind of deformity, just to name three. Several "well seasoned" 995ES owners claim some kind of defect and say to PM them for help. Is it that bad? I really want to go through with my plans, but I am concerned the unit will need to be exchanged, that I will put a burden on my dealer as a result, that I will need to prove to dealer, or to Sony, that there is a problem requiring exchange, that I will need to call in a calibrator for a second time to photograph issues to justify an exchange, that I will have to justify what I see is a defect, that my request to exchange will be turned down by dealer or Sony, that i will have no projector for weeks, to name just a few concerns. How do I know that my dealer and/or Sony will support me 100% if there is a problem. What if I need to exchange a second or third unit, and a request for a fourth unit, and it's denied? Can I get my money back if I have this unit for 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months, for example. The 995ES is a big investment for me, but I have the money and permission, but I don't want to be stuck with a lemon with no way to come up with another 35K. I know, I read here, "every manufacturer of this kind of high priced projector has its own issues, so pick your poison." Poison? I've also read this projector gets a bad rap in these forums. Why? But my reading in these forums seems to weigh somewhat against the 995ES, my brain's doing some kind of statistics on the pros and cons, a brain-spreadsheet. Does the RS4500 come in better because there are less, or no, blobs, uniformity issues? Will the RS4500 be in every way an equal or better? The RS4500 puts a color filter in for some settings, lowering the light output to a similar output of the Sony. Break even here? I am posting to the 995ES thread, so any replies may be biased in the pros direction, which is bias. I think I am looking for a confidence builder to stick with my plans and move forward. Are there any, "Wish I had not gone with a 995ES." Or just make up your mind and buy something? Any thoughts? Planning to order something in this price range in January. Thanks so very much to all, happy holidays!
I would not hesitate to buy the 995ES again. I absolutely love mine.
Your concerns make sense; but I wouldn’t worry about warranty or service with Sony.

My first 995 had a couple of tiny lens flaws which honestly I don’t think most owners would even notice. The image was still great. Sony replaced it without any question. They also let me keep the 1st one until the 2nd arrived.

The 2nd one has been perfect. Its image is spectacular. It’s quiet (unlike the JVC), and it’s smaller than the JVC.

I also would personally trust Sony more over the long term to (a) be around (Sony is a much bigger, healthier, company, and (b) Sony makes the entire spectrum- from studio and consumer cameras to cinema projectors. So their R&D and resources can’t be matched by anyone, let alone JVC. Think about that — if a projector can be made for a specific price, Sony will know how to deliver the best performance at that price.
I wouldn’t trust anyone else in this category (other than Kondo Japan) with my $35K.

Just my 2c...
joerod likes this.

* 1930s cinema RCA 1443 field coil midrange horns, Supravox EXC 12” field coil upper bass, Fostex T500a super tweeter * active transmission line sub *Klipsch in wall (4x) Music: * Kondo Japan 2 channel: M77, Souga, SMC V12 w/Kondo wiring * Denon AVR X8500H * Sony 995ES 4K laser * Stewart GrayHawk RS G4 * Oppo BDP 203 UHD * PS Audio DSD DAC, P5 AC regenerator * Apple TV * Stillpoints Cloud & Aperture panels * custom diffusers/bass traps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 1452 Old 02-09-2020, 05:16 PM

Apple TV Chroma and HDMI output settings:

What is the consensus on the best Apple TV settings to use here, for watching 4K or 1080P content?

I just set the resolution to 4K SDR and it made a big improvement to text clarity. It still switches to HDR when the content is HDR.

But what about Chroma?

* 1930s cinema RCA 1443 field coil midrange horns, Supravox EXC 12” field coil upper bass, Fostex T500a super tweeter * active transmission line sub *Klipsch in wall (4x) Music: * Kondo Japan 2 channel: M77, Souga, SMC V12 w/Kondo wiring * Denon AVR X8500H * Sony 995ES 4K laser * Stewart GrayHawk RS G4 * Oppo BDP 203 UHD * PS Audio DSD DAC, P5 AC regenerator * Apple TV * Stillpoints Cloud & Aperture panels * custom diffusers/bass traps
post #1445 of 1452 Old 02-10-2020, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have had my mind set on this projector for over a year. I dreamed about it. Reading so much on this forum, pros and cons, I am wondering should I go through with my plans. Or perhaps order a JVC RS4500? What is causing me doubts, just from memory while I type this is: blobs, uniformity, lens with some kind of deformity, just to name three. Several "well seasoned" 995ES owners claim some kind of defect and say to PM them for help. Is it that bad? I really want to go through with my plans, but I am concerned the unit will need to be exchanged, that I will put a burden on my dealer as a result, that I will need to prove to dealer, or to Sony, that there is a problem requiring exchange, that I will need to call in a calibrator for a second time to photograph issues to justify an exchange, that I will have to justify what I see is a defect, that my request to exchange will be turned down by dealer or Sony, that i will have no projector for weeks, to name just a few concerns. How do I know that my dealer and/or Sony will support me 100% if there is a problem. What if I need to exchange a second or third unit, and a request for a fourth unit, and it's denied? Can I get my money back if I have this unit for 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months, for example. The 995ES is a big investment for me, but I have the money and permission, but I don't want to be stuck with a lemon with no way to come up with another 35K. I know, I read here, "every manufacturer of this kind of high priced projector has its own issues, so pick your poison." Poison? I've also read this projector gets a bad rap in these forums. Why? But my reading in these forums seems to weigh somewhat against the 995ES, my brain's doing some kind of statistics on the pros and cons, a brain-spreadsheet. Does the RS4500 come in better because there are less, or no, blobs, uniformity issues? Will the RS4500 be in every way an equal or better? The RS4500 puts a color filter in for some settings, lowering the light output to a similar output of the Sony. Break even here? I am posting to the 995ES thread, so any replies may be biased in the pros direction, which is bias. I think I am looking for a confidence builder to stick with my plans and move forward. Are there any, "Wish I had not gone with a 995ES." Or just make up your mind and buy something? Any thoughts? Planning to order something in this price range in January. Thanks so very much to all, happy holidays!
Which one is best for the individual concerned is likely helped by which part of the world you are from.

In the US, the RS4500 and 995 are priced (RRP) about the same at around $35k.
In UK and Europe, the Z1 and 870 are £35k and £25k respectively. Makes the purchasing decision less difficult as I would not say the Z1 is £10k better than the 870.

And yes, both models have their issues.

Anyway, it is February now, so which direction did you end up swinging in?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #1446 of 1452 Old 02-10-2020, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post

It's $25k for the RS4500: https://www.us.jvc.com/projectors/re...e/dla_rs4500k/

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
post #1447 of 1452 Old 02-10-2020, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
Okay, well it used to be 35k each. So the prices in the US are the opposite of Europe now then! That is an interesting situation.

If the Z1 was the same price as the 760 over here, then that is what I would now have.

Stephen Hawking.
post #1448 of 1452 Old 02-11-2020, 06:41 AM

Can anyone help with the best chroma settings for the Apple TV output? Thanks

post #1449 of 1452 Old 02-13-2020, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which direction did you end up swinging in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Which one is best for the individual concerned is likely helped by which part of the world you are from.

In UK and Europe, the Z1 and 870 are £35k and £25k respectively. Makes the purchasing decision less difficult as I would not say the Z1 is £10k better than the 870.

And yes, both models have their issues.

Anyway, it is February now, so which direction did you end up swinging in?
=======

I took the advice given to me by the followers in this thread. Spoke to my dealer, at length. Contacted quite a few professional calibrators that are prominent in these forums, had private chats with posters inside and outside this thread, did lots more research, read the entire Sony thread on the French and German sites. Read the entire JVC NX9/RS3000 thread on this site. Ultimately, I decided to NOT buy the Sony 995ES. I bought a JVC NX9/RS3000, and yes, it uses bulbs, and I will be changing bulbs, and that is NOT, repeat, NOT, what I wanted. But I will sell it ....

I came to the conclusion, if I bought the 995ES, that purchase would be "final" for too long a time given the 995's price. And if Sony comes out with newer projectors, it would be very hard to sell the 995ES. Instead, I will sell the NX9/RS3000 when either of these happen,

1) the NX9 becomes a laser-based NX???? It is already being sold, albeit, at this point in time, with specs not necessarily in favor of the HT enthusiast,

DLA-VS47NV = http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/s...&feature_id=03,

or,

2) Sony introduces a new chip set with new panels (they need to do so.) I don't think the JVC Z1/4500 has the latest chip-set. The latest chip-set, I think, is in the NX9/RS3000.

I don't believe Sony introduced new panels in the 760 / 885 / 870 / 995 series, even though some think otherwise, and I think their current chip-sets are fairly maxed out. I think Sony is using more "processing" (than the latest JVCs) to address black-level competition then they should be doing. Rather than work on firmware updates to the 995ES, I would think Sony is working on new models.

I really wanted the 995ES for all of its great features, its weight and size, that lens, but new chip-sets and new panels need to be forthcoming. Sony, I will buy your new panel new chip-set, for the high price that your 995ES is now, or even more. I would gamble you are working in new panels and new chip-sets.

The JVC NX9/RS3000, I believe, has new panels and new chip-sets, and its lens is as good (within reason) as the 995ES lens. Light output is same. I don't need DTM, because I have a Lumagen processor. The NX9/RS3000 is a bit less than 1/2 the price of a 995ES. I can sell it and buy the new Sony or JVC laser-based projector. I am essentially spending (price-paid less price sold), for a year or two, on the NX9/RS3000 to hold a place for the new SONY or JVC.

I will miss all the great people on this thread. You all helped me a great deal, and got me through the rough decision process. I'll check here often. I will be looking for the thread starter on Sony's new top-end model in, say, a year, or, JVC's next laser-based projector.

Thanks again.
post #1450 of 1452 Old 02-13-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
=======

I took the advice given to me by the followers in this thread. Spoke to my dealer, at length. Contacted quite a few professional calibrators that are prominent in these forums, had private chats with posters inside and outside this thread, did lots more research, read the entire Sony thread on the French and German sites. Read the entire JVC NX9/RS3000 thread on this site. Ultimately, I decided to NOT buy the Sony 995ES. I bought a JVC NX9/RS3000, and yes, it uses bulbs, and I will be changing bulbs, and that is NOT, repeat, NOT, what I wanted. But I will sell it ....

I came to the conclusion, if I bought the 995ES, that purchase would be "final" for too long a time given the 995's price. And if Sony comes out with newer projectors, it would be very hard to sell the 995ES. Instead, I will sell the NX9/RS3000 when either of these happen,

1) the NX9 becomes a laser-based NX???? It is already being sold, albeit, at this point in time, with specs not necessarily in favor of the HT enthusiast,

DLA-VS47NV = http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/s...&feature_id=03,

or,

2) Sony introduces a new chip set with new panels (they need to do so.) I don't think the JVC Z1/4500 has the latest chip-set. The latest chip-set, I think, is in the NX9/RS3000.

I don't believe Sony introduced new panels in the 760 / 885 / 870 / 995 series, even though some think otherwise, and I think their current chip-sets are fairly maxed out. I think Sony is using more "processing" (than the latest JVCs) to address black-level competition then they should be doing. Rather than work on firmware updates to the 995ES, I would think Sony is working on new models.

I really wanted the 995ES for all of its great features, its weight and size, that lens, but new chip-sets and new panels need to be forthcoming. Sony, I will buy your new panel new chip-set, for the high price that your 995ES is now, or even more. I would gamble you are working in new panels and new chip-sets.

The JVC NX9/RS3000, I believe, has new panels and new chip-sets, and its lens is as good (within reason) as the 995ES lens. Light output is same. I don't need DTM, because I have a Lumagen processor. The NX9/RS3000 is a bit less than 1/2 the price of a 995ES. I can sell it and buy the new Sony or JVC laser-based projector. I am essentially spending (price-paid less price sold), for a year or two, on the NX9/RS3000 to hold a place for the new SONY or JVC.

I will miss all the great people on this thread. You all helped me a great deal, and got me through the rough decision process. I'll check here often. I will be looking for the thread starter on Sony's new top-end model in, say, a year, or, JVC's next laser-based projector.

Thanks again.
Nice choice.
However, I am not sure I agree on the points about the panels and reselling.

It was accepted I think that the panels in the 760 onwards were higher spec versions of the previous models. I do agree that they need to overhaul their panel driver software however.

One could argue that a laser based machine (even if it has been superseded) would be easier to sell on than a lamp based one even with new processing and a laser based NX9 coming in would see the value of the lamp based one plummet too.

They can also be working on firmware and new devices at the same time. The firmware used in the Sony's is portable (with a few changes) to the other models as well.
They do not need new models for quite a while. These things are selling well enough on current specs and will for a while yet IMO.

One thing is sure though, as always, it is price that is the largest determining factor in what we feel we can live with.

Stephen Hawking.
post #1451 of 1452 Old 02-14-2020, 05:36 AM

From a cost standpoint all we really need to look at is total cost per viewing hour.
For me, the 995ES is the best value, because I will keep it for 20,000 hours. So at $35K/20K, it’s $1.75/hr.

This is less than a lamp based projector with a glass lens, 4K, with the same brightness.

I’m betting the 995 will last 20K hours.
I won’t need additional resolution or features - the image quality is stunning, and I’ll add a Lumagen if the lack of DTM bothers me.

With a lamp based projector, you’d have to factor in ~10 lamp changes to cover 20K hours, plus several hundred dollars to re calibrate at least 5 times if not 10. This adds up to more than $1.75 per viewing hour.
ShaharT and Archibald1 like this.

post #1452 of 1452 Old 02-15-2020, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I wonder when Sony is going to release a new firmware that will give us auto-switching to 4K HDR content and DTM feature (if any)...
ShaharT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page