Official Sony VPL-VW995ES/870ES 4K Laser Owner’s Discussion - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 904Likes

post #1561 of 1568 Old 06-04-2020, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxP0w3r View Post
Just curious which different UPS battery backups are y'all using. Have any of you had a power failure while using the 995?

No power related issue for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to hear, but I should clarify my question. I was referring to system wide power outages. Yesterday, we had a derecho storm and lost power. That got me thinking, that these units with lasers instead of bulbs would be much more to repair if it was damaged from a power outage. I'm looking to buy a UPS battery backup for it now and I was wondering what units other users liked for the 995es.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1568 Old 06-04-2020, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
That's good to hear, but I should clarify my question. I was referring to system wide power outages. Yesterday, we had a derecho storm and lost power. That got me thinking, that these units with lasers instead of bulbs would be much more to repair if it was damaged from a power outage. I'm looking to buy a UPS battery backup for it now and I was wondering what units other users liked for the 995es.
It is one of the reasons I'm actually looking into solar now that you can now get batteries with them for off grid millisecond failover
post #1563 of 1568 Old 06-05-2020, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
I have a less than ideal setup that seems to result in a significant hotspot on uniform backgrounds or white scenes especially. I was tweaking settings on madvr and turned the laser to min while working on the computer. My screen is 1.1 gain , but almost 150"; I have to use the 2.35:1 zoom or I can't fill the screen at my throw distance. I think it also has to do with the fact that it's on a shelf to the side on my couch and not centered to the screen.

I'm glad it was only a one time thing for both of us! Needless to say, I will avoid min. laser forever, lol.
I see.
Well, suffice to say I am not going to be setting min laser on my 760 for any length of time, or actually ever, I suspect.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1568 Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi all, I need to get in touch with people who had to deal with uniformity problems, especially visible in B&W movies.
I sent my unit to Prime Support, I just got it back and noticed that ... nothing had changed.
According to the document joined to the projector : Unit has been inspected by QC and it meets the standard specifications ...
For once, my problem doesn't appear on patterns (it's barely noticeable) but on actual movies so I'm not beeing a PITA ...

Here are some pics I managed to take not without difficulty. You can clearly see the yellow tint on the top & bottom of the picture.
I just tried the same scenes and with another B&W movie (the day the earth stood still, wonderful peace of sci-fi btw) and problem is the same.

I guess I'll get back to the Prime Support but I'd like to know if people here experienced the same thing and how Prime Support dealt with it.

It's a shame because logistics and support access it top service, they even deliver the projector on a national day off ! but it's a big waste of time & money because nothing changed unfortunatly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200511_211830 (1).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	2757868   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_215500.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	2757870   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_220324.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2757872  
post #1565 of 1568 Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Yes, discolouration (shading) is very obvious. Did you let Sony Prime Support have these pictures and they still say the projector is fine (passed their tests) ?
Was the service in France or UK ?

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.” Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian inventor, architect, artist, mathematician, scientist
post #1566 of 1568 Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
We recently checked out Wizard of Oz and we saw none of this in the black and white scenes early in the movie. What is your source for your movies?

I have an amazing 995ES with the new 3.1 firmware for sale. Send me a PM...
post #1567 of 1568 Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mori* View Post
Yes, discolouration (shading) is very obvious. Did you let Sony Prime Support have these pictures and they still say the projector is fine (passed their tests) ?
Was the service in France or UK ?
Yes I joined the pics on my first email to prime support.
It went to and came back from Bristol - UK.
@joerod my source is an Oppo 203 but i got the same thing with a Pioneer Lx-500.

I also have a current filter, I'll try without it just in case ...
post #1568 of 1568 Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Did you try the "Areg off"service menu tweak also? Not sure if that helps but you could give it a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page