Thoughts on this new Sony ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 12-13-2018, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thoughts on this new Sony? WTF? So there I was looking to upgrade my 600es. Go to CEDIA in San Diego. Nothing new so after soul searching I order the 5000es. It arrived last week. Working on an install time line. Now I say WTF. I've got old stuff in the box. In reality I'm sure I'll enjoy my 5000es for the next 10 years and my screen is 14 ft wide so the 5000 lumens will do everything I need. So what do I think of the new Sony? Bring it on and perhaps I'll get a Demo at CEDIA next fall. Another opportunity to dine at the Briarwood. See you in Denver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 12-13-2018, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
If it has an iris in the lens but if it does than one would think it would have more than 10,000:1 contrast like the 5000. If the contrast were higher than the 8000 lumens makes sense but since some was sacrificed for CR,of course ,this would assume full use of the panel already.

My stack gets close to 9000 lumens and at a little under 15,000:1 contrast ratio.

The numbers just aren't adding up thus my reason for trying to get input here.

Lots of possibilities as to why the numbers are what they are including it having a DCI filter permanently in place.

Art

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 12-13-2018 at 01:15 PM.
post #33 of 43 Old 12-15-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
If it has an iris in the lens but if it does than one would think it would have more than 10,000:1 contrast like the 5000. If the contrast were higher than the 8000 lumens makes sense but since some was sacrificed for CR,of course ,this would assume full use of the panel already.

My stack gets close to 9000 lumens and at a little under 15,000:1 contrast ratio.

The numbers just aren't adding up thus my reason for trying to get input here.

Lots of possibilities as to why the numbers are what they are including it having a DCI filter permanently in place.

Art
Art,
Sorry for the late response - since I am no expert - I requested Sean Kelly of Palladin to comment and here is what he responded:

Typically the lumen output is for the entire panel so if the new projector is 17:9 like all the other Sony’s the output is either for the entire 17:9 or it’s for a 16:9 window of that. If you use that projector for letterbox imaging then you’re only using around 75% of the stated spec. The anamorphic lens would just bring the output back up to around the stated spec – a little less but certainly not more. The manufacturers never quote the output in terms of a 2.4:1 image.

-------

In summary - the calculated bump is 25% (so 8000 Lumen would go to 10,000) and is for 2:40 viewing which is most of my viewing... The resolution increase is because the lens will use 100% pixels.
In my case the measured light output increase with and without was much higher post calibration as measured by Jeff Meier.

Any questions - please direct to Sean as he is the guru of that.

Ash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 12-15-2018, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Art,
Sorry for the late response - since I am no expert - I requested Sean Kelly of Palladin to comment and here is what he responded:

Typically the lumen output is for the entire panel so if the new projector is 17:9 like all the other Sony’s the output is either for the entire 17:9 or it’s for a 16:9 window of that. If you use that projector for letterbox imaging then you’re only using around 75% of the stated spec. The anamorphic lens would just bring the output back up to around the stated spec – a little less but certainly not more. The manufacturers never quote the output in terms of a 2.4:1 image.

-------

In summary - the calculated bump is 25% (so 8000 Lumen would go to 10,000) and is for 2:40 viewing which is most of my viewing... The resolution increase is because the lens will use 100% pixels.
In my case the measured light output increase with and without was much higher post calibration as measured by Jeff Meier.

Any questions - please direct to Sean as he is the guru of that.

Ash

This makes sense if the quoted output is for letterboxed scope use but I doubt that Sony is using that as the value, more likely the 8000 lumens represents full use of the panel at 100% laser setting and prior to calibration. I do understand the advantage of the lens but I'm betting that with scope films , using the lens that the value will be around 8000 lumens. I think this would be analogous to using a lens and getting a 5000es to do 7500 lumens. I would be very pleased if your 11,000 lumen number is accurate however

I'm looking forward to Wolfgang getting his hands on one. It looks like a fantastic solution for larger screens particularly since the quoted value is DCI color space where the 5000es only gets about 3500 lumens.

Art
gwthacker likes this.

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 12-15-2018 at 09:29 AM.
post #35 of 43 Old 12-15-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
This makes sense if the quoted output is for letterboxed scope use but I doubt that Sony is using that as the value, more likely the 8000 lumens represents full use of the panel at 100% laser setting and prior to calibration. I do understand the advantage of the lens but I'm betting that with scope films , using the lens that the value will be around 8000 lumens. I think this would be analogous to using a lens and getting a 5000es to do 7500 lumens. I would be very pleased if your 11,000 lumen number is accurate however

I'm looking forward to Wolfgang getting his hands on one. It looks like a fantastic solution for larger screens particularly since the quoted value is DCI color space where the 5000es only gets about 3500 lumens.

Art
I will take 8000 Lumens also at DCI - my screen is unity gain AT and 14 foot wide so that is plenty of Lumens.
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #36 of 43 Old 01-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 129
It’s odd that you can find information about the projector- except for lumens. On the Sony China pro website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #37 of 43 Old 01-30-2019, 05:08 PM

https://pro.boxoffice.com/gdc-sony-p...ser-projector/

post #38 of 43 Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have any reason personally to have DCI color space. Not sure if the laser color has been altered or the 8000 lumens is with a filter in place. None the less, this is more light than I have using DCI color with my 5000 stack. However, not using DCI color space I have over 9000 lumens. Additionally, the contrast quoted is less than the measured contrast after calibration of my stack. Of course, less trouble with set up and maintenance and smaller footprint than my stacked 5000s. For me I doubt I'd spring for it since it is no more than and a lateral move in some ways a step or two down unless i'm missing something.

Art
post #39 of 43 Old 04-20-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I don't have any reason personally to have DCI color space. Not sure if the laser color has been altered or the 8000 lumens is with a filter in place. None the less, this is more light than I have using DCI color with my 5000 stack. However, not using DCI color space I have over 9000 lumens. Additionally, the contrast quoted is less than the measured contrast after calibration of my stack. Of course, less trouble with set up and maintenance and smaller footprint than my stacked 5000s. For me I doubt I'd spring for it since it is no more than and a lateral move in some ways a step or two down unless i'm missing something.

Art

Art
From reading another forum, looks like some version of this was at the CinemaCon 2019. Have any insight?

post #40 of 43 Old 04-20-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
Art
From reading another forum, looks like some version of this was at the CinemaCon 2019. Have any insight?

No ,more than you likely it just isn't powerful enough apparently from the Cinamacon review to get to what I have without stacking. It has some advantages apparently including the minor banding issues the 5000 has are corrected in this unit. The Christie Large Venue is delayed the Thor with light steering is also next year still. It looks like I'm going to have my 5000es stack longer than I thought.

Art
post #41 of 43 Old 04-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
No ,more than you likely it just isn't powerful enough apparently from the Cinamacon review to get to what I have without stacking. It has some advantages apparently including the minor banding issues the 5000 has are corrected in this unit. The Christie Large Venue is delayed the Thor with light steering is also next year still. It looks like I'm going to have my 5000es stack longer than I thought.

Art

And on somewhat related point, I’m guessing this model is different than potential 5000 successor. Read elsewhere that some people have viewed the 5000 successor but it’s release may not be soon. So must be different models.

post #42 of 43 Old 04-20-2019, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
And on somewhat related point, I’m guessing this model is different than potential 5000 successor. Read elsewhere that some people have viewed the 5000 successor but it’s release may not be soon. So must be different models.

I believe you are correct however don't quote me on that.

Art
post #43 of 43 Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Any news about this new projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page