8Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Thoughts on this new Sony ?

Posted on another forum. As was stated it looks like a larger 5000. Same feet, side panel looks almost identical ,same lens likely just looks taller vertically . Could be the 10,000 lumen 5000 successor we've been talking about for almost three years.

Reddig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 08:01 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I' d say that looks like a dual laser
post #3 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 1420

Good Find Art!

The machine is small, but it has a big use. Sony lightweight laser projector sets a new benchmark in the industry.
Original article 0
In recent years, with the continuous maturity of laser light source technology, the projector industry is entering the laser era. The digital cinema projectors used as the current cinema line are also advancing with the times. Digital cinema projectors using laser light sources are becoming local hospitals. The preferred device for line upgrades. Just recently, Sony has launched the small laser projector SRX-R608 with its keen sense of the market and the demand for the current cinema market.

The machine is small, but it has a great use. Sony lightweight laser projector sets a new benchmark in the industry - audio-visual circle
Sony's small laser film projector SRX-R608 is a heavyweight product for small and medium-sized cinemas (8.8m screen, dual-machine support 14.5m screen) and no projection room. It has reached the industry leading level and is an ideal choice for small and medium-sized cinemas nationwide.

Small and quiet

As mentioned above, Sony's laser digital projector is highlighted by "small". Its body weight is less than 70kg, and its size is 570*330*795 (width*height*length). It is only a large laser on the market. About a quarter of the projector's size, it can be said that it is difficult to find the same grade in the digital cinema projector market.

The machine is small, but it has a great use. Sony lightweight laser projector sets a new benchmark in the industry - audio-visual circle
The Sony SRX-R608 has such advantages, not only is it convenient to transport, but also has a wider use scene. For example, in a limited space, there is no need to set up a separate screening room, and the hoisting arrangement can complete the small and medium-sized movie theater, which also saves a lot. The cost of the cinema investment.

Not only that, Sony's small laser film projector SRX-R608 also has a lower level of quiet in the industry. According to San Yude, Director of Digital Cinema Marketing at Sony China Professional Systems Group, the SRX-R608 is based on the upgrade of Sony's high-end home theater projectors, so it has a good mute system. At the same time, the SRX-R608 also adopts a mixed design of air-cooled + water-cooled, which makes the fan's heat dissipation pressure small, thus reducing fan noise. Moreover, the machine uses a sealed design from the lens to the light source, which reduces noise in addition to dust. Therefore, even sitting under the SRX-R608 device will not affect the viewing and create a better viewing atmosphere.

Small and beautiful

Those who are familiar with Sony products should know Sony's excellent pursuit of picture quality. The laser film projector SRX-R608 is no exception. It is small but not inferior to other Sony laser film projectors.

The Sony SRX-R608 is not based on the current 2K resolution of the cinema. It uses a self-developed 0.74 inch 4K SXRD reflective LCD panel, and the native display chip perfectly displays 4096×2160 pixel resolution. The addition of 4K ultra-high-definition resolution not only enhances the viewing effect, but also enables a larger viewing area to enhance the utilization efficiency of the theater.

In order to achieve a layered picture, Sony projectors also added HDR function, which can display a rich and rich black, showing more light and dark details, improving the high quality experience of the theater. The addition of 4K and HDR technology, as well as lower cost, has increased the competitiveness of the theater.

Precise force

The display field has always been a high-yield zone for Sony's "black technology." The 4K SXRD display chip used by Sony Digital Cinema is Sony's self-developed black technology, and with Sony's 4K high-resolution lens, it is a guarantee of high image quality.

In addition, Sony covers the entire industry chain 4K technology advantages of shooting, editing, transmission, broadcasting and display, providing strong support for product development in various fields, Sony's advanced technology in 4K professional cameras and 4K TVs and other fields. Mature experience, also integrated into the R & D design and manufacturing of its 4K digital cinema machine. This is also a unique advantage compared to other manufacturers.

With the advent of the era of consumer upgrades, watching movies is not just enough to satisfy the screen. The technology development of the cinema has been for many years. From the early film technology to the current digital technology, different auditoriums have different price positions. For some wonderful blockbusters, you need to equip with the corresponding technology. After all, such as 4K resolution, HDR technology integrated experience upgrade, in order to win more fans consumption. The SRX-R608, a small laser film projector launched by Sony, is the product that meets the needs of some small and medium-sized theater upgrades. This is Sony's precise segmentation targeting the cinema projector market, and it is sure to win the hospital's love.

Original article, author: small A , should the reprint, please indicate the source: "small but big machine handy lightweight laser projector Sony set the industry benchmark for new" http://www.avq360.com/201809283767.shtml

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Auto translate has some interesting things there.

" This is Sony's precise segmentation targeting the cinema projector market, and it is sure to win the hospital's love."

Thanks for the text Jeff. Just wondering the implementation. Almost surely dual laser as Lon said but how will the added light be used.
post #5 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What does this mean?

“Digital cinema projectors using laser light sources are becoming local hospitals.“
Craig Peer likes this.

"Being unable to assume an initial premise with any tolerable degree of accuracy, I am loathe to assert a conclusion fearful lest I should err."
post #6 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 09:02 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure what you mean Art by "How will the added light be used"? Like I said a couple years back DPI added a dual laser to there DPI Insight 4K dual, just added additional height to original DPI Insight 4K. I am surprised it took Sony so long to implement
post #7 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Not sure what you mean Art by "How will the added light be used"? Like I said a couple years back DPI added a dual laser to there DPI Insight 4K dual, just added additional height to original DPI Insight 4K. I am surprised it took Sony so long to implement

Lon,
Since I don't have specs I was wondering what the contrast would be, would they use all the light or perhaps add iris to gain sequential contrast losing some light etc. I'd hate to see it trade contrast thus being lower there but a lot more light I don't know . It could be a real winner or not much more than a lateral move for me.
post #8 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Lon,
Since I don't have specs I was wondering what the contrast would be, would they use all the light or perhaps add iris to gain sequential contrast losing some light etc. I'd hate to see it trade contrast thus being lower there but a lot more light I don't know . It could be a real winner or not much more than a lateral move for me.
I just assumed it was for light output as the specs say 10,000:1 On/Off. Very good point Art
post #9 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
I just assumed it was for light output as the specs say 10,000:1 On/Off.

Tough to tell since they are becoming local hospitals but could be a few left for sale. Anyway, I was hoping that some things implemented in their other projectors slightly down the food chain could spill over here.

10,000:1 is down from the 5000 but not a ton.

Art
post #10 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Tough to tell since they are becoming local hospitals but could be a few left for sale. Anyway, I was hoping that some things implemented in their other projectors slightly down the food chain could spill over here.

Art
Looks awesome, wonder if I could convince administration to bring it into the doctor's lounge since it's "becoming local hospital".

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #11 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 719
https://pro.sony/zh_CN/products/4k-c...ctors/srx-r608

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #12 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Looks awesome, wonder if I could convince administration to bring it into the doctor's lounge since it's "becoming local hospital".

If that is correct, the lounge is in fact inside someplace.
The Bogg likes this.
post #13 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:

Art
Art,
Finally, as a doctor, you can buy the projector (or Two) and get a complete tax write off - as it is for 'Hospital Use'
Another CEDIA to look forward to..
Ash
post #14 of 43 Old 12-10-2018, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Art,
Finally, as a doctor, you can buy the projector (or Two) and get a complete tax write off - as it is for 'Hospital Use'
Another CEDIA to look forward to..
Ash

I was wondering if I could set up that Christie in my waiting room for a bit then move it over to my house later.
Reddig likes this.
post #15 of 43 Old 12-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:

I was wondering if I could set up that Christie in my waiting room for a bit then move it over to my house later.
I would like to offer our CPA Firm's services for that IRS audit you would go through. Would be fun and very expensive. Like to see the look on the Auditor's face when you explain it to them. Reminds me of when one of my new clients was trying to explain why their chi Wawa was a security dog and they wrote off all the expense.. IRS was not amused.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #16 of 43 Old 12-10-2018, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
I would like to offer our CPA Firm's services for that IRS audit you would go through. Would be fun and very expensive. Like to see the look on the Auditor's face when you explain it to them. Reminds me of when one of my new clients was trying to explain why their chi Wawa was a security dog and they wrote off all the expense.. IRS was not amused.

I hope you know I have no intention of doing such a thing.. a good nights sleep is one of the most important parts of my life, I'd get none if I were to ever do such a thing. It was a joke based on the English translation from the Japanese on how the projector was becoming a hospital.

But I still appreciate your free advice.
post #17 of 43 Old 12-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hope you know I have no intention of doing such a thing.. a good nights sleep is one of the most important parts of my life, I'd get none if I were to ever do such a thing. It was a joke based on the English translation from the Japanese on how the projector was becoming a hospital.

Of course I know it was a joke just like my comment was except the dog thing which I just had to slam my head against a wall when he said that to the IRS agent.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #18 of 43 Old 12-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12054 Post(s)
Liked: 9584
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Maybe you should poll your patients, I bet they would vote for the projector, especially if you include a good sound system. Heck people would be showing up way early for appointments. You might even pick up enough extra patients to pay most of the expense.
Think how innovative you would be.
post #19 of 43 Old 12-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Maybe you should poll your patients, I bet they would vote for the projector, especially if you include a good sound system. Heck people would be showing up way early for appointments. You might even pick up enough extra patients to pay most of the expense.
Think how innovative you would be.
Actually everything for the IRS is tied to revenue so if you can show that it gets the you and the Government more money you can write it off. They pay you twice as much money for the procedure with a movie and then you can write it off I should do that with every tax return.

post #20 of 43 Old 12-10-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:

Probably not in the waiting room buy...

High definition large format video imaging for medical X-ray review in conference whereas multiple physicians are required to view X-rays and other patient diagnostic and treatment data in an expanded viewing format to improve the interoperable discussions and consultation for treatment recommendations.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #21 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am curious about this projector as well. There is not to much information available on this yet. Anyone know what the brightness will be.
post #22 of 43 Old 12-12-2018, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1221tom View Post
I am curious about this projector as well. There is not to much information available on this yet. Anyone know what the brightness will be.
Looks like it will be 8000 Lumen, you can read more about it in the original thread by Wolfgang Mayer:
http://dci-forum.com/d-cinema-hi-end...rojector/3183/
post #23 of 43 Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yea I'm not exactly sure what is going on with the CR and brightness. If they doubled the laser modules it doesn't add up. Now I know they are specs and after calibration etc they frequently are different but I've not ever seen the numbers get better after calibration. It has less contrast than my stack but less light too.

Presumably it is the same lens same chip etc .

Art
post #24 of 43 Old 12-12-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Is this for sure a dual laser model?

Edit: I guess we all don't know for sure yet?

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #25 of 43 Old 12-12-2018, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Is this for sure a dual laser model?

Edit: I guess we all don't know for sure yet?

Yea , we don't but everything looks like it is. Nice thing is despite it having been described as a small cinema projector it has two HDMI inputs.
Reddig likes this.
post #26 of 43 Old 12-12-2018, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Yea , we don't but everything looks like it is. Nice thing is despite it having been described as a small cinema projector it has two HDMI inputs.
That is indeed very nice. A rarity for a cinema projector.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #27 of 43 Old 12-12-2018, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Yea I'm not exactly sure what is going on with the CR and brightness. If they doubled the laser modules it doesn't add up. Now I know they are specs and after calibration etc they frequently are different but I've not ever seen the numbers get better after calibration. It has less contrast than my stack but less light too.

Presumably it is the same lens same chip etc .

Art
The 608 is a cinema projector and it probably achieves 8000 lumen with the DCI colorspace so it would be brighter than two 5000 for DCI.
It would make for a nice single projector solution in really big home theaters, as a stack will always cost you some resolution with a true 4k source.
post #28 of 43 Old 12-13-2018, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

8000 Lumens DCI - with a DCR Paladin a Lumen Bump of 3000 Lumen = 11000 Lumen.
And no major surgery required to the Sony VW5000 Hush box..
post #29 of 43 Old 12-13-2018, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
8000 Lumens DCI - with a DCR Paladin a Lumen Bump of 3000 Lumen = 11000 Lumen.
And no major surgery required to the Sony VW5000 Hush box..

Ash,
Are you saying you can increase the native light output of a 608 by adding another lens ?

Anyway ,my concern is the contrast spec.

Art
post #30 of 43 Old 12-13-2018, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Ash,
Are you saying you can increase the native light output of a 608 by adding another lens ?

Anyway ,my concern is the contrast spec.

Art
Art,
As experienced by me and other knowledgeable users in the 'DCR Paladin' thread - the Lumen bump is projected and not native - I believe by utilizing the entire 4K panel of the Sony VW5000 - and improved resolution (which to me makes the picture so film like and beautifull).
Maybe Sean Kelly can chime in - but since the specs of this projector and whether it will have internal anamorphic mode like the VW5000 is not known - he will be unable to comment.
In the 608 - the added advantage of the Lumen bump for folks like me with a 14 foot wide screen (considered small these days) would be to use the Lens dimming feature (as speculated by Wolfgang in the DCI Forum that it may be available in this model) - and sacrifice the Lumens for improving CR. And still have good enough light output for HDR without using the HDR slider and reality creation on a ST100 Screen.
Very promising if it actually becomes available because unlike you, who is striving to get to a picture quality of 99.9% or 100% - I am Ok with 96%.
I can't believe - coming from 600 Lumen projectors when I started in this hobby - here is something which can throw 11000 Lumens and - it may be just enough for a 14 foot wide screen to do everything
This projector if becomes real - It will be a very practical solution IMHO.
Ash
Reddig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page