New Acurus Muse 16 channel SSP w $5500 msrp - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #91 of 97 Old 07-30-2019, 09:05 AM
K Z

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholko View Post
Of course, you always check new components. That sort of goes without saying. Are you able to repeat audio drops at the same point on each disc? I just find it really strange and odd that no matter what I try, I cannot replicate what you describe.

What I am saying is that the amount of RF that is emitted from a HDMI port is negligible and not enough to affect a shielded coaxial cable. This is easily demonstrated.

This is not a good methodology. Are you aware that the amount of noise on a FTA Coax signal is FAR greater than what is potentially emitted from a HDMI port?!? I can measure incoming noise on a FTA coax signal easily. I can not measure noise out of a HDMI port. For starters you are referencing ambient noise in your methodolgy and not what is coming off a HDMI port.

I suggested it may be a ground loop issue in relation the noise comments you made. I do not beleive a ground loop is responsible for your audio issue. Please read carefully what I wrote. Given you experience this issue at the 88th minute of playback of specific discs (which I cant replicate the nominated disc I had in my collection) I surmise that that there is a problem elsehwere. I could be wrong - but I doubt it.

You understand I am trying to help you right? Ive bothered to spend my time to test the same disc you nominated as being problematic. I cant find an audio drop out with it. Sorry, but i cant.

Yes, you are correct. I had missed (or forgot) this feature somehow and when I saw it I mistakenly thought it was part of latest firmware.

Yes, I realised you did not post the full reboot message. I was not aware and it was not clear to me I was supposed to fill in the blank like some sort of game show.

Lets stick to the facts here: Which as I see them are that you are experiencing audio drop outs at certain points on certain discs. Let me ask you for the sake of clarity - Are you experiencing audio drop outs on all discs at the same point in time? Or, is it only select discs? I am trying to understand as I am finding the story you are telling hard to follow (I know English is not your first language - so I am trying to get to the bottom of the issue you are having).
First of all you are not trying to help me. In fact what you are doing is potentially harmful since many people can be confused by your posts. Personally I do not think that you are a beta tester, a tester that did not get trough the settings and manual even it is 5 minute walk (15 minutes to do the actual set up without PEQ). A tester that haven't even noticed that Muse is displaying ACT 4 messages. I believe that you may have occasional access to Muse but judging by your posts (a lot of phrases taken from reviews) you are more "influencer" that has a job to protect Muse on this thread. The tester would have better understanding on technology - you are mixing up software issues with hardware issues. If you say that you see that my English is not my first language I can say that physics and engineering is not even you 3rd language. HDMI RF interference does not make any sense? Your idea to bring grounding issues as a potential cause would probably cause samurai to make ritual seppuku.
Please refrain from helping me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 07-30-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Z View Post
First of all you are not trying to help me. In fact what you are doing is potentially harmful since many people can be confused by your posts. Personally I do not think that you are a beta tester, a tester that did not get trough the settings and manual even it is 5 minute walk (15 minutes to do the actual set up without PEQ). A tester that haven't even noticed that Muse is displaying ACT 4 messages. I believe that you may have occasional access to Muse but judging by your posts (a lot of phrases taken from reviews) you are more "influencer" that has a job to protect Muse on this thread. The tester would have better understanding on technology - you are mixing up software issues with hardware issues. If you say that you see that my English is not my first language I can say that physics and engineering is not even you 3rd language. HDMI RF interference does not make any sense? Your idea to bring grounding issues as a potential cause would probably cause samurai to make ritual seppuku.
Please refrain from helping me.
Your post is nonsense. But I have to set the fact straight.

Firstly, (and like I said above multiple times, but clearly you cant read) I dont work for Acurus and I have no vested interest in their company. Please read this statement as many times as you need until it sinks in. I suggest at least half a dozen as clearly most things are flying well over your head.

I am going to spell out my history and I want to be crystal clear on this point: I do not work for Acurus. I don't even work in the AV industry! I haven't done so for nearly ten years now (although I maintain friendships with those in the industry here in Australia). I now work in a completely unrelated profession. When I left the industry I was a THX Level 2 Technician, ISF Engineer and Home Cinema designer and installer. I trained in both the USA at Lucasfilm and here in Australia. My designs (and those of the team I worked with) had won multiple cinema CEDIA awards in cinemas under and over the $100,000 mark. I worked in the industry for over a decade; so I can speak with some authority and experience on these matters.

I can assure you I have been testing MUSE here in my cinema for more than two months now. I have been updating firmware as its supplied to me by Acurus. I have been providing feedback to them on what I think needs improving in the way of features (and I am not being paid anything for this - my interest lies solely in the product being the best that it can be as that is what I want in my system). Had I experienced any audio drop outs I would have advised them - I would have given them specifics on the software, timing etc. and I would have given them full system components and set up, so that they can try and replicate it. Thats what scientific testing is all about. You need to be able to replicate a result! You cant expect anyone to be able to give accurate and concise help when you dont even give details.

Saying I am mixing up hardware and software issues makes no sense whatsoever. Here is what makes sense: You have posted repeatedly that you have audio drop outs on software. Other than three titles you listed, you have not provided any specifics whatsoever. Not even system configuration, set up, components, etc. or details on when the drop outs occur. All you have done is whinge that you are experiencing some issues with no empirical evidence (you might want to look that up) or data to back it up - you then jumped into referencing RF interference on HDMI ports like it was related or relevant to your 'audio drop outs' and posted a ludicrous methodology for testing it! You snubbed help repeatedly when all that I did was suggest that perhaps you have other issues in your system (given the lack of detail you provide and based on what you wrote its impossible engage in effective problem solving). Even when I bothered to test the very disc you were saying was problematic (and I cant fault in my system). You then attack me personally as if I dont know what I am talking about and accuse me of being some sort of 'influencer' - whatever that might be. So, you bet. you are not getting any further help. I dont beleive you have any interest in anything other than forum hearsay and rumour spreading.

Last edited by jholko; 08-17-2019 at 07:36 AM.
post #93 of 97 Old 08-01-2019, 04:00 PM

ASPEQT Press Release

On a positive note - I am able to share the Acurus press release today on ASPEQT. I still dont have an ETA on delivery - but this is a positive step in the right direction.

See attached PDF.

Edit - I forgot to add: Im overseas for work again for a couple of weeks from next week. So assuming ASPEQT ships soon I wont likely be able to test it before the end of the month at the earliest. If I hear that it has shipped though I will post up here.

From a firmware perspective - We are now up to Firmware version: 2.520 as of 1st August 2019. Listed improvements over from 2.5 to 2.520 are simply "Improved Audio System performance" and "Adjusted wide output level with Dolby Surround and 9.X.X layouts"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ASPEQT PR July 2019.pdf (770.9 KB, 31 views)
noah katz and Boonyarat like this.

Last edited by jholko; 08-01-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 97 Old 08-13-2019, 02:56 PM
K Z

Since I raised the issues of audio dropouts and very slow DTS surround sound mode switching I feel obliged to post recent development after updating Muse to recent firmware. Before that I need to mention that although procedure is pretty straightforward it requires some knowledge since Accurus is using former century tech rather then uploading firmware using disk connected to USB or through internet. This information is for those who intend to buy Muse online, others will have Muse updated by dealer (I presume). Before the update I hoped that switching to DTS mode will take the same time as switching to DD. Somebody had to listen to my prayers but since I was not precise while praying now both modes locks with heavy delay. Does not matter if SS mode is chosen before starting playback but ifI want to switch sound mode during playback I loose audio for couple of scenes. I can't say much about audio dropouts since this is clearly HDCP authentication problem and requires continuous playback for 90 minutes and that happens at my home very rarely. But so far no audio drops (14 days). During the update I saw that HDMI chips were also updated so I hope that it is solved. If not I will post info here.
Just one more thing about firmware update (I never intended to go back to iholko's role here - I was sure that he would stop posting). Below you'll find Accurus' official release notes for all versions of firmware. Here is the quote from his post #61 : "Accurus are adding new features in every firmware update at present. Whilst I cant comment specifically on ARC, I can say that every new firmware update is bringing more and more to the MUSE". I can't see a single "new feature" here. His statement is pure marketing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MUSE - Release Notes V2_520.pdf (57.9 KB, 17 views)
post #95 of 97 Old 08-17-2019, 07:42 AM

Latest update on ASPEQT I have (as of mid August) is that it is unlikely to ship before the end of September (although there may be a few test units out in the field with premiere dealers now or very soon). New firmware is coming after 2.520 but I have no information what it is either 'fixing' or 'including' other than saying it is 'likely' to include aspects of ASPEQT.

On the issue of 'features in firmware' from our somewhat illiterate friend above... It is worth nothing that A: Not all changes in each firmware edition are documented by Acurus in the release notes and B: They (and I) consider HTML interface upgrades to be 'Features'. Guess it depends on how you define it.. but seriously.. does it matter!

One of the HTML 'features' I have requested is the ability to see what the MUSE is actually decoding via the HTML interface. As of 2.520 you can of course select the decoding method - Direct, Dolby, DTS etc. but you don't actually have feedback on the HTML interface on what is being decoded. Hopefully this 'feature' is coming soon as it would be a really nice addition. I have also asked for them to include a 'lock' feature on the setup menu so that things cannot be accidentally changed or altered once they are setup - or so that family members etc. cant accidentally enter this area and make changes.

One more point - I agree the firmware update process is somewhat prehistoric. I would much prefer firmware was pushed via the internet to the MUSE. The requirement to plug in a windows based PC and upgrade via USB is some what 'caveman'. I have flagged this with Acurus and they have hinted (and I stress hinted only) that it may be possible in the future to push firmware updates to the Muse.

Last edited by jholko; 08-17-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #96 of 97 Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
K Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholko View Post
Latest update on ASPEQT I have (as of mid August) is that it is unlikely to ship before the end of September (although there may be a few test units out in the field with premiere dealers now or very soon). New firmware is coming after 2.520 but I have no information what it is either 'fixing' or 'including' other than saying it is 'likely' to include aspects of ASPEQT.

On the issue of 'features in firmware' from our somewhat illiterate friend above... It is worth nothing that A: Not all changes in each firmware edition are documented by Acurus in the release notes and B: They (and I) consider HTML interface upgrades to be 'Features'. Guess it depends on how you define it.. but seriously.. does it matter!

One of the HTML 'features' I have requested is the ability to see what the MUSE is actually decoding via the HTML interface. As of 2.520 you can of course select the decoding method - Direct, Dolby, DTS etc. but you don't actually have feedback on the HTML interface on what is being decoded. Hopefully this 'feature' is coming soon as it would be a really nice addition. I have also asked for them to include a 'lock' feature on the setup menu so that things cannot be accidentally changed or altered once they are setup - or so that family members etc. cant accidentally enter this area and make changes.

One more point - I agree the firmware update process is somewhat prehistoric. I would much prefer firmware was pushed via the internet to the MUSE. The requirement to plug in a windows based PC and upgrade via USB is some what 'caveman'. I have flagged this with Acurus and they have hinted (and I stress hinted only) that it may be possible in the future to push firmware updates to the Muse.
Illiterate friend. Probably I owe you an apology. You do not work for Accurus. By any standard in any business neither employee or personnel associated with manufacturer would never use such phrase in public describing actual customer (no matter what) and I believe that Accurus is no different. Such attitude is game over in business and most likely you would attend appropriate training and/or have it in the contract so you knew the rules. That also rules you out as a beta tester (apart from the fact that you do not know the device you are "testing"). On the other hand you have access to latest marketing information that Accurus sends to dealers but you do not have permanent access to Muse. You are not a dealer because they have experience and knowledge and you are not the tech guy (tech guy, for example, would know that information on configuration I gave you is sufficient: source type and HDMI output configuration and Muse HDMI input configuration - brand of speaker cables or number of subwoofers are irrelevant to the problems I was describing). Still, It's a mystery what was your objectives introducing yourself as a beta tester. Personally I believe that information that you post here is valuable and helpful since facts about Muse are hard to find elsewhere. Many potential buyers can be interested to see what Muse has to offer. Since we are the only ones that are discussing here we can split the roles: you can be the good cop I can be the bad one. We can provide some entertainment to others and, hopefully, new information. With one condition: physics and engineering remain as they were described in the books.
post #97 of 97 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Probably I owe you an apology. You do not work for Accurus.
That is correct. I do not work for Acurus. And dont worry about it. No big deal.
Quote:
That also rules you out as a beta tester
Wrong. I am beta testing the MUSE. I am not saying I am the only BETA tester. I actually have no idea how many testers may be out there. I am just a user at the end of the day who is doing some testing for Acurus and providing feedback directly to them as I already stated above.

Quote:
On the other hand you have access to latest marketing information that Accurus sends to dealers but you do not have permanent access to Muse.
I have access only to material Acurus provide me - not all information. I dont know what they send to their dealers. I do have permanent access to MUSE. Its sitting here next to me in my cinema! I have decided to purchase this unit I have been testing so its now mine.

Quote:
You are not a dealer
Correct. I already stated this.
Quote:
Personally I believe that information that you post here is valuable and helpful since facts about Muse are hard to find elsewhere.
Thank you - then lets just get along nicely :-) I have no motives here outside of wanting MUSE to perform at its best. I have no hesitation in calling out things about it I don't like - For example, and as you pointed out; the caveman firmware update procedure is far from ideal.....

Quote:
physics and engineering remain as they were described in the books.
I wouldn't want it any other way!
noah katz and nonstopdoc1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page