Intel CPU/software based Trinnov Processor vs SHARC/DSP based Theater Processors - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #31 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
It is a very subjective thing and I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy a particular product based on someone else's recommendation.
Absolutely! It should be considered as a datapoint, not to be used as the sole reason. Over the past 5 yrs or longer, everything technical or special-purpose that I buy, AV gear, photo gear, pro photo printers, computer tech, monitors, even something like photo bags(!), I spend weeks & sometimes months researching - online reviews, test results for sure if available, personal friends who own that particular gear, demos at dealers, before making final buying choice. It takes me a long time to make technology buying decisions; it's anal but I don't like being disappointed. There is so much biased or purely subjective information in published reviews that one cannot take them as "gospel".

Before buying a high priced SSP, I would hope one would do their own due diligence, demos, comparisons. It will be hard to get A/B comparisons in the same room between SSP's but one can try to get some demo somewhere. I didn't buy a Trinnov unseen or heard - it was a tough decision to write a check for that amount. I had the one demo at a CEDIA, 2 long-term Trinnov users I know own personal experiences since one has used an MC Optimizer for yrs, and both were very early adopters of the Altitude 32 & even then I wasn't totally sold that it was worth it for me to jump in. It took reviews, many phone calls to these 2 guys (I've known one for over 5 yrs), a visit to the dealer who also sold Datasat and he didn't have Trinnov to listen to since his big room had the Datasat. He didn't have an Altitude to demo. I was about ready to fly to Chicago to demo the one friend's Trinnov setup but got lucky that there's an Altitude owner who happens to live in GA, couple hrs away. He had yrs of experience with SSPs, room correction systems, measurements & calibrations, with his own hi-end HT room and he also happened to have owned & setup both the Datasat RS20 and his current Altitude 16. He was gracious to give me a demo. I spent about 3 hrs at his home theater and much more important than the listening was his refreshingly honest & I think pretty objective appraisal of his experience with both. The good & bad, strengths & weaknesses. And he didn't buy his from that dealer so no skin in the game. Only after that did I feel comfortable spending that much, coming from CE products.

I can't compare what I bought to other competitive dedicated SSP's since never owned them. I wished I could have tried some of them but I didn't have the budget. Frankly it took me years to try a D&M product because I knew how Pioneer's MCACC EQ system sounded in my room and I was hesitant to switch to Audyssey. I had decades experience owning a lot of Pioneer gear since the late 70's - 4 generations of laserdisc players, 2 uni-players, 3 BD players, an Elite HD-RPTV, the last gen Kuro plasma, as well as 2 consumer level & 3 Elite AVR's. I knew their gear well

I understand G-Rex's long-term "data collecting" approach before considering making a big change.
G-Rex likes this.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 04-17-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
I disagree. Analysis paralysis. Be it Trinnov, Theta, etc. at this level, they will all sound good. That’s easy. Buy on features, user reports, reliability, and listen if you can. I’ve had an ADA Mach IV, Halcro SSP, Datasat RS-20i and Altitude all in the same room.. all sounded great except and I could discern no audible difference between the Datasat and Trinnov. All excellent.

It is the room, acoustics, speaker set up, etc... I’d place the SSP choice about (6th on a scale of 10 factors that influence the overall sound and presentation). The room is #1 . I’ve heard Synthesis Systems a number of times in and out of home theaters. CEDIA, etc. And other systems in great home theatres. Then I had the opportunity to spend the weekend with Rob Hahn and his reference of all reference theatres with an incredibly low noise floor, ultra quiet HVAC, Uber bass, specialized EQ AND M2s and all JBL and it was an experience I’ll not forget. Like an out of body experience in terms of impact, dialog, the hugest sense of space and a bubble of sound I thought not possible. His gear was pretty sweet but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of SSPs and speakers (Trinnov and JBL). Heard those together many times, but nothing like this. Deciding factor: room and acoustics... and EQ to dial all in.

So, buy what you need instead of trying to weigh nuance differences in solid state electronics.
Peter M, LydMekk and Lasalle like this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #33 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2897 Post(s)
Liked: 2101
Interesting thread, though I'm not sure what this discussion will achieve. My own brief thoughts, simply as another data point:

I owned the Datatsat RS20i after upgrading from a Anthem D2v, and now have the Altitude 32. The Datasat offered substantially better subjective sound quality versus the Anthem, which was a very good unit in itself.

The Datasat offered a lot more installation and calibration flexibility also. I moved from the Datasat, as a) its future was uncertain and the brand owners appeared to be treating it as 'end of life', and b) I wanted native Atmos on more channels.

Subjectively I wouldn't say the Trinnov offers substantially better sound on a channel by channel basis than the Datasat - they are pretty much on a par once both are properly set up - but the increase in Atmos channel count clearly gives a increase in sound quality from the greater spacial resolution and tracking of sounds around the room. I also find the Altitude more accessible and easier to work with than the Datasat.

The killer 'feature' with the Trinnov though is the software based approach. If anyone ever needed this highlighting in sharp relief, just look no further that the DTS:X Pro announcement. The Altitude will receive it via a free software update this year - not a single hardware change required. It's quite possible none of the DSP based processors will be able to add it without a hardware change. Even Storm have posted on social media that it is unlikely to be made available for current units, and "will probably be on the next generation of Storm Audio products". I wonder how many potential purchasers, when considering the initial purchase costs of these SSP's, also consider the costs (and hassle) of upgrading to remain 'current' versus the ability to simply download a software update.
G-Rex, ss9001, sdrucker and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bland - true words. I've become guilty of analysis paralysis. But I also don't have the budget some of you do

100% agree that room acoustics and I'll add speaker choice are #1 . Speakers have their own audible character. Speakers are the most important choice I've made since getting into this passion. How they sound to me. I've had Magnepans since the early 80's, fell in love with planar sound and used them in 2 houses with completely different sized and shaped rooms and room layouts. I've upgraded up the Maggie line 3 times since '82, and the only speaker that tempted me was a Soundlab e-stat I demo'd in '93. I've also had late 80's era AR top model 5-way towers which were way more expensive than my 1st Maggie; they were the worst sounding speaker I've ever had, couldn't image worth a s*it, harsh and no depth, all dimensionality gone, all with the same electronics in the same room. Back to Maggies. Last year I upgraded to what used to be Magnepan's top model $15K (they now have a $30K model) and have no need to ever demo another speaker.

Everyone obsesses over the electronics when it's the room, room correction & speakers that make the biggest differences.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 04-17-2019 at 06:46 AM.
post #35 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
The killer 'feature' with the Trinnov though is the software based approach. If anyone ever needed this highlighting in sharp relief, just look no further that the DTS:X Pro announcement. The Altitude will receive it via a free software update this year - not a single hardware change required...I wonder how many potential purchasers, when considering the initial purchase costs of these SSP's, also consider the costs (and hassle) of upgrading to remain 'current' versus the ability to simply download a software update.

Yup. This was the last deciding factor for me. What I've spent updating core electronics every 2-4 yrs = the Altitude 16. I recently turned 69 and I don't think I'll need to buy another SSP.

Done.
G-Rex and Wookii like this.

Steve
post #36 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Bland - true words. I've become guilty of analysis paralysis. But I also don't have the budget some of you do

100% agree that room acoustics and I'll add speaker choice are #1 . Speakers have their own audible character. Speakers are the most important choice I've made since getting into this passion. How they sound to me. I've had Magnepans since the early 80's, fell in love with planar sound and used them in 2 houses with completely different sized and shaped rooms and room layouts. I've upgraded up the Maggie line 3 times since '82, and the only speaker that tempted me was a Soundlab e-stat I demo'd in '93. I've also had late 80's era AR top model 5-way towers which were way more expensive than my 1st Maggie; they were the worst sounding speaker I've ever had, couldn't image worth a s*it, harsh and no depth, all dimensionality gone, all with the same electronics in the same room. Back to Maggies. Last year I upgraded to what used to be Magnepan's top model $15K (they now have a $30K model) and have no need to ever demo another speaker.

Everyone obsesses over the electronics when it's the room, room correction & speakers that make the biggest differences.
I have a budget.. for sure. But, if you're in the market for a Trinnov, you can afford the Datasat or Theta. My point is, likely, they will all sound equally great at this level and buy on features and reliability. Even if you can audition one, if it is not in your room, there is little to gain. And with the sophistication of set up, it almost impossible to try before you buy or A/B.
thezaks likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #37 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Agree with The Bland too that sometimes analysis paralysis can be a problem...I wasn't worried about future proofing too much because I was never going with more than 4 ceiling speakers (which I just installed recently, lol) so I had the choice of any of these processors. For those wanting more than 16 speakers I don't think there are currently any other options than the Trinnov….

DTS:x just came out and now they are talking about DTS:X pro. I don't think I've even watched a movie with DTS:X, lol. By the time I care about the next big thing in codecs I will be ready to upgrade my prepro but I doubt that will happen in the next "insert large number here" years. For me, the 2 channel performance had to be top notch and the multichannel performance is just icing on the cake...

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #38 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
...It is the room, acoustics, speaker set up, etc... I’d place the SSP choice about (6th on a scale of 10 factors that influence the overall sound and presentation). The room is #1 .

I would completely agree - no argument here. However, for someone like me, the reality is that my system is in a non-dedicated great room (comprised of family room, dining, kitchen, stairwell, hallway), and I don't even get to do any room treatments. So, my room will never get any better. That shoves the speakers, processor, etc, higher up the list for me.

And, for my horrible non-dedicated non-treated room, the best EQ has been either no EQ or RoomPerfect. I hope to compare the two soon in my room.

Dave
thebland likes this.
post #39 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I don't recollect seeing that anywhere, and I've scoured the web for anything on the MP-50.
The MP-50's SNR is listed at 120dB and it has AntiPop relays (like the Trinnov). Beyond the specs, it's been by far the quietest processor I've tested in my room, and I have a very quiet small room with front speakers <10 ft away. The SPL meter has to be almost touching the tweeters for me to get a few dBs of noise that's actually coming from the amp.

Every user experience I've read has been similar.
noah katz and G-Rex like this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #40 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
4. Auro-3D: Altitude 32 wins for now 100 to 0. Because Theta SSP doesn't have Auro 3D. With Theta SSP, I almost always listened in 2 channel as direct stereo only, trying other sonic modes like DTS or Dolby to expand speakers/sonics simply seemed to detract some from the cleanness of the two channel music up front; whereas I find Auro-3D with Altitude 32 such a 100% positive that I always use it and never listen in straight stereo! With Auro-3D my multi-channel speaker system is utilized and provides increased dynamics and liveness without detracting from the original stereo sonics at all - its amazing! I have learned that Auro 3D only applies to music 96k and less. If you play music 192k or 176k Auro-3D will not engage.
I've been preferring to use Auro-3D even though to do so I use ROON to downsample from 192k and 176k!
Auro-3D has become a must-have feature for me and I wouldn't consider a processor without it. Once you get the settings dialed in, it's fantastic and beats the snot out of stereo(IMO).

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #41 of 84 Old 04-17-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Seems like that quote tells more about the installers calibration skills. Maybe he gets better results with a less advanced processor, but my guess is a Trinnov expert would get even better results with a Trinnov no matter what the conditions of the room is.

I'm sure that's true with enough time.

The way he tells it is that the other big benefit of RP is that he just follows Lyngdorf's simple setup procedure, so it gives the best results with the least effort of any RC.

But I guess this (budget concerns) is out of bounds for this forum.

Noah
post #42 of 84 Old 04-18-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Auro-3D has become a must-have feature for me and I wouldn't consider a processor without it. Once you get the settings dialed in, it's fantastic and beats the snot out of stereo(IMO).

Are your speaker locations optimized for Auro-3D or Atmos? I'm wondering how well Auro 3D would work with my Atmos speaker arrangement.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. ATI 6005, AT527NC, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears), Seaton Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Theater Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, three dedicated 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 surge protector at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #43 of 84 Old 04-18-2019, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I disagree. Analysis paralysis. Be it Trinnov, Theta, etc. at this level, they will all sound good. That’s easy. Buy on features, user reports, reliability, and listen if you can. I’ve had an ADA Mach IV, Halcro SSP, Datasat RS-20i and Altitude all in the same room.. all sounded great except and I could discern no audible difference between the Datasat and Trinnov. All excellent.

It is the room, acoustics, speaker set up, etc... I’d place the SSP choice about (6th on a scale of 10 factors that influence the overall sound and presentation). The room is #1 . I’ve heard Synthesis Systems a number of times in and out of home theaters. CEDIA, etc. And other systems in great home theatres. Then I had the opportunity to spend the weekend with Rob Hahn and his reference of all reference theatres with an incredibly low noise floor, ultra quiet HVAC, Uber bass, specialized EQ AND M2s and all JBL and it was an experience I’ll not forget. Like an out of body experience in terms of impact, dialog, the hugest sense of space and a bubble of sound I thought not possible. His gear was pretty sweet but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of SSPs and speakers (Trinnov and JBL). Heard those together many times, but nothing like this. Deciding factor: room and acoustics... and EQ to dial all in.

So, buy what you need instead of trying to weigh nuance differences in solid state electronics.
Totally agree on the room and speaker/sub setup Jeff. I just experienced this with Walters calibration. He was able to dial it in very fast and needed very few pre-sets.
thebland likes this.
post #44 of 84 Old 04-18-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Are your speaker locations optimized for Auro-3D or Atmos? I'm wondering how well Auro 3D would work with my Atmos speaker arrangement.
I'ts setup for Atmos. I wouldn't worry about the heights/tops positioning for up-mixing music with Auro-3D. They're just going to add some ambience.

post #45 of 84 Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I know all the codec processing in the Trinnov is software driven and not baked into any chips. The DACS are a hardware portion of the audio path, but much of the outputted sound is a result of software/cpu computation. Back when Creactive Labs sound hardware was prominent in PCs, I recall these EAX hardware driven cards produced excellent sound. When Windows 10 came along sound was then routed to the CPU and was software driven. Many users complained that the sound produced via Windows 10 was a step down to the Creative Labs dedicated hardware cards. Similarly, from a video perspective, the hardware driven Dolby Vision feature was vastly preferred to the early software driven Dolby Vision variant (i.e. in Sony TVs during DV earlier years).

This question also applies to various Room Eq options. Is the Trinnov room optimization and speaker remapping purely software driven, or are there any dedicated hardware cards in the PC/Trinnov to assist in processing? When you look at a Lyngdorf system, Room Perfect is extensively hardware based.

In light of the above examples of hardware vs software... is it possible that a software driven system has any disadvantages over dedicated hardware relative to processing, speed, consistency, less errors, or variations relative to sound quality and Room Eq results? I don’t think it’s far fetched to say that a baked/hardware dedicated system could possibly bring more reliable, consistent and dare I say better results. If Trinnov had another option that was at least partially or the majority hardware baked, AND modular (so it could be upgradeable) I bet many would prefer it.

I certainly can see the advantages of the codecs being software driven, as that allows infinite upgradeability. The question is, can this type of flexibility be brought to traditional hardware going forward (i.e. DTS: X Pro)? If I recall in the past, many processors, including McIntosh MX160 adding DTS: X codec via a simple over the internet or usb downloadable firmware update. I find the biggest oversight for lack of expandability exist in the hdmi stage, which there is no excuse for in high ticket processors. This stage should always be modular. However, with full featured hdmi 2.1 around the corner, with its 48 gbps throughput, I believe the days of an outdated hdmi stage every few years may be over for quite some time.

See the link below which shows a video of the McIntosh MEN220 (2 channel Room Perfect unit). The dedicated hardware running it is extensive.

joerod likes this.

Last edited by G-Rex; 04-20-2019 at 06:17 AM.
post #46 of 84 Old 04-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
In light of the above examples of hardware vs software... is it possible that a software driven system has any disadvantages over dedicated hardware relative to processing, speed, consistency, less errors, or variations relative to sound quality and Room Eq results? I don’t think it’s far fetched to say that a baked/hardware dedicated system could possibly bring more reliable, consistent and dare I say better results.

Whether the digital processing is performed in in "software" (because no matter what it's still done in silicon) or hardware, sooner or it will get to analog circuitry.

If the SQ is suffering, it's likely that's where the problem is.

Noah
post #47 of 84 Old 04-20-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Whether the digital processing is performed in in "software" (because no matter what it's still done in silicon) or hardware, sooner or it will get to analog circuitry.

If the SQ is suffering, it's likely that's where the problem is.
Careful with theorizing. Listening is still the end result and the key. My Trinnov Altitude 32, especially since I am recently leaving it on around the clock (with a turn off and turn back on cycle at least once daily to clear memory), sounds markedly better to me (and to David Prazak who visited yesterday) than my prior Theta Casablanca IV-A SSP, for both two and multi-channel music much of it hi rez, and for video tv/movies. And its software based. I agree we try to theorize on what we expect. Sometimes our expectations are right - sometimes wrong!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #48 of 84 Old 04-22-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
One man's opinion - but based on some experience.

Most of the hardware in these various mentioned processors range from good to excellent. But the hardware differences pale in comparison to the software driving them --- and the individual who calibrates the system. I've proven to myself (and some others) with blind tests with no room correction enabled.

If I never cared about running more than a 7.x.4 system, many of these processors could easily satisfy me -- and some have. I would agree with Wookii, for example, that the Trinnov and Datasat, in a 7.x.4 configuration, both set up by the same individual would sound way more alike than different (if different at all - I've owned both). My guess would be that some of these other processors would fall into the same category.

But, at least for me, that's not the whole story. Software upgradeabitly; speaker count; ease of feature enhancements; all come into play. That made my decision quite easy.

As for analysis paralysis, it's an easy loop to get in. For the price of entry into any of these higher end products, go find a well done room utilizing the processor you are interested in, get on an airplane if necessary, go and listen. I did that when I was considering my current speakers and flew to an AVSer near Philadelphia for that express purpose. I've had many individuals come to my home over the years to listen to speakers or subwoofers and most recently, several came to hear the Trinnov before pulling the trigger. A $700 expense to fly somewhere when considering spending +$25,000 for an audio product is, in my opinion, a reasonable use of $$.

Just sayin'
G-Rex and ss9001 like this.
post #49 of 84 Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was one of audioguy's visitors. As I said earlier, my visit was much more than listening since his HT room & speakers are way different than mine! The listening sesssion was excellent! But I got just as much & more from him sharing his own experience using various processors, how each one's calibrations were handled, functionality differences & audio results. He shared both positive & negative so I felt I was getting objective comparisons & experiences.

The demo was well worth my time & the 4 hr round trip drive.
Marc Alexander and G-Rex like this.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 04-22-2019 at 07:43 AM.
post #50 of 84 Old 04-22-2019, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I am still enjoying my MX160 at the moment. I am in no major rush to upgrade, but looking forward with an eye on the future/DTS:X Pro. For now, I can still do a 9.5.2 with my MX160 (with some matrixing). As such, there is no analysis paralysis going on.

Last edited by G-Rex; 04-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.
post #51 of 84 Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
When I listen to $2,000+ AVR or even a processor, be it from Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz or Anthem they all sound different to me with room eq egaged or not. For the record, as far as lower priced units go under 3k, Marantz sounds best to me. Long ago I owned a Lexicon MC12B then transitioned to the McIntosh series of MX processors with similar codecs at the time. With room eq on or off both processors had markedly different sonics, as well as their associated amps. The Lexicon was hyper detailed, a bit dry and perhaps a tad thin sounding with lots of air. I had a fair amount of listener fatigue with the Lexicon. The McIntosh was full, lush, very smooth and robust with a large layered soundstage and no listener fatigue at all. The mids were amazing with not a trace of trebley hyper detail. Yes, the speakers and room brings out the best or worse in a processor. Turned on Room Perfect and things further improved, but there was no apparent collapse of any sound field when room eq was turned off (as reported with the Trinnov). In my room, the MX sounds good before RP engaged, and sounds even better once it’s engaged. That is reassuring (at least for me).
Tha's my observation as well. I wasn't sold on room correction until I heard the Mcintosh processors with Room perfect. This was before Dirac and such were widely available. My opinion, still hasn't changed. The Mcintosh processors are really superb sounding.
G-Rex and joerod like this.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #52 of 84 Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 AM

LCM Home Entertainment, Tempe, Az has a wonderful sounding demo theatre room at their Tempe store including Sonus Faber speakers, a Sony VW5000ES projector on a 12' wide flat screen. I had heard several times this demo room with a MacIntosh MX160 SSP. Yesterday I demod again and they now had in the room a Trinnov Altitude 16 which replaced the Mac SSP. Sounded to me as good or better than ever! LCM is a big Mac dealer and they continue to sell both Trinnov and Mac SSPs depending upon customer and installation.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #53 of 84 Old 05-23-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LCM Home Entertainment, Tempe, Az has a wonderful sounding demo theatre room at their Tempe store including Sonus Faber speakers, a Sony VW5000ES projector on a 12' wide flat screen. I had heard several times this demo room with a MacIntosh MX160 SSP. Yesterday I demod again and they now had in the room a Trinnov Altitude 16 which replaced the Mac SSP. Sounded to me as good or better than ever! LCM is a big Mac dealer and they continue to sell both Trinnov and Mac SSPs depending upon customer and installation.

LCM is just a couple of blocks from my office. I last heard their system with the MX160. I'll have to go listen to the Trinnov.

Dave
post #54 of 84 Old 05-24-2019, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
As intimidated as I am to be posting on these forums I can say I have had the pleasure of progressing up the ranks of av gear. I caught the addiction when I was a kid, always wanting to have the best sounding system around. I too have had experience with the 'top of the line' retail consumer products ranging from the best Pioneers, Marantz, Anthems and with each new upgrade felt my system grew substantially.

However, it wasn't until I decided to quite being an accountant to start a business based on my passion, I finally got to experience the finer things in life AKA McIntosh, Theta, Datasat and Trinnov. I wanted to offer something that 'no ones' (I guess you could say - everyday big box store purchasers that want the very best - not that there is anything wrong with that) ever heard that could blow them away sonically and with the latest and greatest codex, hdmi etc...

I visited all the shows I could from Rocky Mountain to CEDIA and everything else in between. For years I was always blown away by the Datasat demos at the shows and personal theaters that allowed me the pleasure of demoing their products. I found in the beginning that the Trinnov demos were not that good there was always something not right, too tiny, not enough base, timing off, too loud, or just seamed awful. I was intrigued by the PC based 'thing' that can allow for software upgrades without having to upgrade the entire unite unlike every other competitor.

Was this enough to have me sign up for Trinnov, at the time definitely not. Like many of you have alluded to earlier in this forum I couldn't justify the dollars for something I was really unsure of. Could all the bad demos been just bad setup or was it the Processor? That was always on my mind. I had to go with what had been consistently been a show stopper in MY mind, I choose the Datasat. To be honest it was the right move at the time. My contacts were the best in the industry, when ever I needed anything they were there helping every step of the way. That made my decision so much easier because not only were they the best sound, best codex, and best performer but the real key was their Customer service was second to none making there product even better.

Being satisfied with my decision I first realized the challenge of the chip based products when Atmos and DTSx were released and we were told it would be a few months till it was finally rolled out. Here again it took them some time to finally release it to the public with new cards about 18 or so months. Yes it was great and never missed a beat when finally installed on the machines but it was difficult to continue telling people 'its a matter of time before we get the codex' and Datasat made sure it was ready for install (may I say bug free) before they released it which took time. The sound ,however, was absolutely amazing and Dirac was great in certain circumstances and not so much in others once again confirming my decision for Datasat.

Once changes started happening after the sale of Datasat I started to become worried and the benefits of before were starting to disappear. I also noticed with the latest codex releases that we were starting to loose our dominance on state of the art channel count challenge that was brewing. Clients started asking for more channel counts which I could offer by copying up to 24 with only native being limited to the chip. Then other things like IMAX and DTSXPro and Dolby Atmos offering more discrete channel counts started being talked about and clients starting asking for more. I Finally decided to take another look at the Trinnov.

To make a long story short and because I have other things to do today, I took the ride to my reps demonstration/training for the Trinnov at 'The Rochester' in Rochester NY and was blown away by how much the Trinnov has grown. They are right when they say it usually takes three years for a processor to find itself and in this case it was definitely true. Jon Herron and Richard Fairbrother put on a great training and demo for us. It was definitely an eye opening event for me and my company.

The ease of use, durability, quality, upgradeability, etc, etc, etc... sold me on changing to the Trinnov from the Datasat. I knew I was going to be changing but that training/demo sold me and made me feel better about selling off my remaining stock of Datasat. I am in the process of placing my order for an Altitude32 1624 and 1 or 2 amp8ms for my demo room.

So, for me it was time to jump onto the bandwagon. The Trinnovs sound is right up at the top and the upgradeability is the top, for me and my clients at this point it makes me feel that there is more return on our investment.

I will always love the Datasat RS20i and its capabilities, was hoping that I didn't sell it so I could use it for my family room, but I did sell it off to a great guy who will treat it nice and enjoy the sonic perfection. Hope this makes sense to you guys.

Ready to move on!
RUR likes this.
post #55 of 84 Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtasu19 View Post
...The Trinnovs sound is right up at the top...

So, does it sound better in the end than the Datasat? Or are you putting them as equals sonically?

Dave
post #56 of 84 Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
So, does it sound better in the end than the Datasat? Or are you putting them as equals sonically?

Dave
With other peoples gear they are very close to equals sonically. I will be getting the Trinnov Altitude and Amplitudes this upcoming week where I will be able to test them in my own theater room. Looking forward to it! Once I have them I will post something on this thread.

Marc
post #57 of 84 Old 05-25-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have A/B'd the RS20i and the Trinnov Altitude 16 in the same room (mine) as I owned both at the same time for a brief period. For systems at or less than a 7.x.4 configuration, and both calibrated by the same knowledgable person, in a properly treated space (and listening blind) you would be VERY hard pressed to tell the difference. I could hear none!!

But when you consider higher channel counts, price, ease of upgrade (firmware vs hardware), etc, there really is no contest.

ATI needs to figure out what they are going to do with both the Casablanca and Datasat processor products.
Marc Alexander and mtasu19 like this.
post #58 of 84 Old 05-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I have A/B'd the RS20i and the Trinnov Altitude 16 in the same room (mine) as I owned both at the same time for a brief period. For systems at or less than a 7.x.4 configuration, and both calibrated by the same knowledgable person, in a properly treated space (and listening blind) you would be VERY hard pressed to tell the difference. I could hear none!!

But when you consider higher channel counts, price, ease of upgrade (firmware vs hardware), etc, there really is no contest.

ATI needs to figure out what they are going to do with both the Casablanca and Datasat processor products.
I agree. At least with the CBV, I am sure Theta is working on it. But whether ATI-Theta will put additional resources into this platform after the V (which I bet won't be out for 2 years or more, though I could be wrong) remains to be seen! As for Datasat, I have no idea, but as Datasat is also a commercial theater platform & SSP that is perhaps more likely!

post #59 of 84 Old 05-25-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

The Datasat RS20i has Auro 3D (unlike the Theta CBIVA SSP), right? If so, in your system, how was 2 channel music played in Auro 3D, as compared to with the Trinnov SSP? And of course Trinnov is ROON Ready ethernet, Datasat isn't, and ROON Ready to me is a BIG DEAL!

post #60 of 84 Old 05-25-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Datasat RS20i has Auro 3D (unlike the Theta CBIVA SSP), right? If so, in your system, how was 2 channel music played in Auro 3D, as compared to with the Trinnov SSP? And of course Trinnov is ROON Ready ethernet, Datasat isn't, and ROON Ready to me is a BIG DEAL!
Yes, the RS20i had Auro. I was not using Roon on the Datasat (used another music server with SPDIF input to the RS20i). I can't say one was better than the other (sonically) for music since I never has the opportunity to compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page