Intel CPU/software based Trinnov Processor vs SHARC/DSP based Theater Processors - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #61 of 84 Old 05-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I have A/B'd the RS20i and the Trinnov Altitude 16 in the same room (mine) as I owned both at the same time for a brief period. For systems at or less than a 7.x.4 configuration, and both calibrated by the same knowledgable person, in a properly treated space (and listening blind) you would be VERY hard pressed to tell the difference. I could hear none!!

But when you consider higher channel counts, price, ease of upgrade (firmware vs hardware), etc, there really is no contest.

ATI needs to figure out what they are going to do with both the Casablanca and Datasat processor products.

Your feedback is very consistent with what I heard from 2 other aficionados who did similar side by side comparison (not memory ). FYI both use same BB DAC as well (though it is about implementation). As you state for anything more than 14 Channels- then I guess bets are off and choice is more clear..

Regards,
Kishore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 05-26-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Yes, the RS20i had Auro. I was not using Roon on the Datasat (used another music server with SPDIF input to the RS20i). I can't say one was better than the other (sonically) for music since I never has the opportunity to compare.
But of course the RS20i is not ethernet ROON Ready like the Trinnov Altitude 16 (or 32). For music luvers this is BIG as far as I am concerned if one likes having hard drive music like I do!

Does the RS20i internally process at 96-24 (like Trinnov, which processes at native rate up to 96-24) or 48-24?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #63 of 84 Old 05-26-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4983 Post(s)
Liked: 3826
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 84 Old 05-30-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I just saw this. Maybe it's not too new? But looks like MDS has implemented a 32 channel DSP. The APM120 looks interesting. 32 channels output and 32 bands of PEQ per channel, along with Dirac capability! Wow! https://0395410.netsolhost.com/mds/w...d-Gen-Rev5.pdf
Kishore, G-Rex and Boonyarat like this.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #65 of 84 Old 05-31-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtasu19 View Post
*snip*
I visited all the shows I could from Rocky Mountain to CEDIA and everything else in between. For years I was always blown away by the Datasat demos at the shows and personal theaters that allowed me the pleasure of demoing their products. I found in the beginning that the Trinnov demos were not that good there was always something not right, too tiny, not enough base, timing off, too loud, or just seamed awful. I was intrigued by the PC based 'thing' that can allow for software upgrades without having to upgrade the entire unite unlike every other competitor.
*snip*
To make a long story short and because I have other things to do today, I took the ride to my reps demonstration/training for the Trinnov at 'The Rochester' in Rochester NY and was blown away by how much the Trinnov has grown. They are right when they say it usually takes three years for a processor to find itself and in this case it was definitely true. Jon Herron and Richard Fairbrother put on a great training and demo for us. It was definitely an eye opening event for me and my company.
*snip*
I think these two statements speak more about the quality of the demo rooms than the gear. Given the physical room contributes, let's say, 50% of the sound (maybe even more if you consider setup as part of the room), it's not surprising to sound better in a well done room than a quickly put together and acoustically hamstrung demo room at a convention.

That said, sure, a processor can take some time to develop (e.g., firmware stability), but I doubt the Trinnov has any different sound quality today than it did back then. You just finally got to hear it in an "ideal" environment that could prove it to you.

All in my humble opinion, of course, .
post #66 of 84 Old 05-31-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 4972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I just saw this. Maybe it's not too new? But looks like MDS has implemented a 32 channel DSP. The APM120 looks interesting. 32 channels output and 32 bands of PEQ per channel, along with Dirac capability! Wow! https://0395410.netsolhost.com/mds/w...d-Gen-Rev5.pdf
Great find!

From www.mds.com
Quote:
NEWS

APM-1xx Immersive Audio Decoding Modules now shipping!
Two new Texas Instruments’ high-power K2G dsp-based modules—600 MHz APM-100 and 1 GHz APM-110—are now in full production and shipping.  Additional dual 1-GHz dsp APM-120 is slated for release later this year.
TL; DR
APM-2nd Gen Rev5 *2019-Preliminary-Specifications subject to change.

APM-89
(16ch: Acurus & StormAudio)

APM-103
(16ch or 24ch) 9.1.6, 11.5.8 *no Auro3D, *no DiracLive

APM-117
(24ch) 11.5.8, 13.3.8, 15.1.8, 13.1.10

APM-120
(32ch)
15.5.10, 17.3.10, 19.3.10, etc.

The StormAudio uses ADI SHARC DSPs for DiracLive (up to 32ch already supported), x-overs, PEQ, etc. Could upgrade(s) to APM-1xx be offered soon? Announced at CEDIA perhaps? Same for Datasat?

I believe the Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 utilizes one of these new TI chipset for both decoding and Dirac Live.
Boonyarat likes this.
post #67 of 84 Old 06-01-2019, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Couldn't agree with you more about the Show demos!

In researching between 2015-present I also had the pleasure of seeing both the processors in proper treated environments - acoustics, quality speakers, great room dimensions and calibrated by some of the best all around the US. Also, yes most people who invest in these high end processors do have some of the best environments but some of them do not. As I stated in a follow up post, sonically they were very close.

At the time, there were always little hiccups even in the best prepared demo in a dedicated room. It was almost as if I got the "…this never happens..." comment the majority of the time. Based on my experiences, my decision to go with Datasat, at the time, was due mostly because it performed consistently, even in bad environments and always had the quality sound I enjoyed. For my clients and their hard earned money, I had to do what was best and more consistent at the time.

Yes with each passing year at shows and at demos in proper rooms "ideal environments" and the not so proper rooms the Trinnov grew on me. It was more stable and the sound in MY mind was still on par with the Datasat. I can honestly say I have never had the pleasure, like some of you, to hear a legit A/B comparison with everything being the same just switching properly calibrated processors in an Ideal environment. Each time it was a different location with different rooms/speakers/amps etc....but each time it performed consistently - unlike the first few years.

Cost - Benefit, consistency, quality, upgradeability, durability and customer service is the best in the Industry - hence the change for me and my company. I am looking forward to putting it through every situation I can, seeing what it can do.
sdrucker likes this.
post #68 of 84 Old 06-08-2019, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
The StormAudio uses ADI SHARC DSPs for DiracLive (up to 32ch already supported), x-overs, PEQ, etc. Could upgrade(s) to APM-1xx be offered soon? Announced at CEDIA perhaps? Same for Datasat?

I believe the Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 utilizes one of these new TI chipset for both decoding and Dirac Live.
It's likely ATI is using one of the single 1ghz new TI chipsets as well. The APM-120 looks very capable, being dual 1ghz chips.

post #69 of 84 Old 06-09-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, this is the future! Question whether the APM120 supports only 48k internal processing, or does it support 96k internal processing (as does the current Theta CBIVA SSP and the someday upcoming Theta CBV SSP)? I didn't see the interal processing rate on the spec sheet for the APM120.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #70 of 84 Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Quote:
Yes, this is the future! Question whether the APM120 supports only 48k internal processing, or does it support 96k internal processing (as does the current Theta CBIVA SSP and the someday upcoming Theta CBV SSP)? I didn't see the interal processing rate on the spec sheet for the APM120.
Better question is whether at more than quadruple the processing power of the old card is whether it could support 24/192.

post #71 of 84 Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Better question is whether at more than quadruple the processing power of the old card is whether it could support 24/192.
Not likely, lucky if supports 96k. Because it all depends on Dirac providing up to 32 channels of room correction processing power, and if Dirac provides that at 96k it will be fortunate. Theta so far can't even get Dirac to provide more than one filter memory for Dirac. As a practical matter, few blu rays are 96k, almost all are 48k. And Auro 3D upsampling is limited to base music tracks of no higher than 96k. Even with my Trinnov Altitude 32, which has 24 channels, with 192k processing, I play two channel via ROON at 96k and 88k, rather than 192k and 188k, because the sonic benefits of using Auro 3D far exceed the sonic benefits of the higher processing rate. So if eventually Theta continues the CB platform, past the planned CBV, using this new 32 channel card and obviously a new chassis, etc, then 96k processing if feasible would be of great benefit as would Auro 3D and Dirac. At this point, this remains to be seen and is obviously speculative.

post #72 of 84 Old 06-27-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not likely, lucky if supports 96k. Because it all depends on Dirac providing up to 32 channels of room correction processing power, and if Dirac provides that at 96k it will be fortunate. Theta so far can't even get Dirac to provide more than one filter memory for Dirac. As a practical matter, few blu rays are 96k, almost all are 48k. And Auro 3D upsampling is limited to base music tracks of no higher than 96k. Even with my Trinnov Altitude 32, which has 24 channels, with 192k processing, I play two channel via ROON at 96k and 88k, rather than 192k and 188k, because the sonic benefits of using Auro 3D far exceed the sonic benefits of the higher processing rate. So if eventually Theta continues the CB platform, past the planned CBV, using this new 32 channel card and obviously a new chassis, etc, then 96k processing if feasible would be of great benefit as would Auro 3D and Dirac. At this point, this remains to be seen and is obviously speculative.
There are a lot of considerations. Higher sampling rates/ processing means more generated heat. That can mean a fan/noise added to the chassis. One engineer for one of the big names did in fact tell me that high channel counts of 24/192 typically involves a fan.

I don’t care to do much speculation. What sample rates and number of channels the new MDS cards can support is certainly a known quantity at MDS.

I’ve never cared for dsp post processing modes with music. Some people love them even as far back as Logic 7 and further back still, “Jazz Club” and “Hall.”Imo, there is no right or wrong here, just subjective preference.

post #73 of 84 Old 06-27-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of considerations. Higher sampling rates/ processing means more generated heat. That can mean a fan/noise added to the chassis. One engineer for one of the big names did in fact tell me that high channel counts of 24/192 typically involves a fan.

I don’t care to do much speculation. What sample rates and number of channels the new MDS cards can support is certainly a known quantity at MDS.

I’ve never cared for dsp post processing modes with music. Some people love them even as far back as Logic 7 and further back still, “Jazz Club” and “Hall.”Imo, there is no right or wrong here, just subjective preference.
I never care for DSP post processing modes with the Casablanca platform at all. But I luv Auro 3D with Trinnov SSP and I assume Auro 3D may well be equally as excellent with other SSPs. By the way, Dolby and DTS post processing still sucks compared to two channel with the Trinnov SSP - but not Auro 3D, its outstanding!

post #74 of 84 Old 06-27-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I don’️t care to do much speculation. What sample rates and number of channels the new MDS cards can support is certainly a known quantity at MDS.

I’️ve never cared for dsp post processing modes with music. Some people love them even as far back as Logic 7 and further back still, “Jazz Club” and “Hall.”Imo, there is no right or wrong here, just subjective preference.
I never care for DSP post processing modes with the Casablanca platform at all. But I luv Auro 3D with Trinnov SSP and I assume Auro 3D may well be equally as excellent with other SSPs. By the way, Dolby and DTS post processing still sucks compared to two channel with the Trinnov SSP - but not Auro 3D, its outstanding!
I don’t care for Auro 3D with music. Its entertaining just not my preference. Not interested in post processing music. One size fits all seldom fits all.

post #75 of 84 Old 06-27-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I don’t care for Auro 3D with music. Its entertaining just not my preference. Not interested in post processing music. One size fits all seldom fits all.
Have listened to Auro 3d for two channel music? What SSP? Or are you simply assuming it doesn't sound as good as straight two channel, which had always been my assumption and experience as well prior to the Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP with Auro 3D.

post #76 of 84 Old 06-28-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I don’️t care for Auro 3D with music. Its entertaining just not my preference. Not interested in post processing music. One size fits all seldom fits all.
Have listened to Auro 3d for two channel music? What SSP? Or are you simply assuming it doesn't sound as good as straight two channel, which had always been my assumption and experience as well prior to the Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP with Auro 3D.
Yes. Off topic. I noticed that MDS list a DSD decoder for the APM-1XX series in the print description but not in the chart. That’s intriguing.

post #77 of 84 Old 07-03-2019, 02:40 PM

The trend now is for SSPs, especially mid to high end, to have DSP, such as Dirac, etc. Accordingly, don't expect them to do internal processing at DSD rates, even if they are capable of intaking DSD.

Here's the latest Trinnov Altitude 32 review:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...e-evolve-ii-4k

post #78 of 84 Old 07-03-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Here's the latest Trinnov Altitude 32 review:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...e-evolve-ii-4k

I think Kal definitely liked the Altitude!

Dave
post #79 of 84 Old 07-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I think Kal definitely liked the Altitude!

Dave
Kal definitely liked the Altitude 32.

You (Dave) definitely liked the Altitude 32 you have heard with my current (not much longer) 5.2.4 setup (to be 9.4.13 hopefully done in August).

I definitely liked what I heard yesterday at your place, the Lyngdorf MP50, before and after applying its Room Perfect optimization.

Dave, your room has gotta be one of the absolute worst in terms of planning the best home theatre sonics (which you readily admit that you have these limitations) given its a super long room, open, living room on one side, kitchen way on the other side, open wall area just past the living room sofa, shutters on the left side (non-open wall to the outside), etc. With young kids and dogs, you have a large entertainment center, with a 77" Sony OLED, components in cabinet below, center speaker above tv in cabinet, main floorstanding left and right speakers just off and next to the cabinet, on the left a large subwoofer right next to the speaker, on the right a stand right next to the speaker, with front left and right speakers perhaps a foot if that in front of the wall. 9' high ceiling. All of your speakers and subwoofers are old, 20 years, built by a great local company (Marcelino) now no longer in business (too bad - they made great sounding speakers). Your 7.1 system has four in ceiling speakers for your side and rear surrounds. No acoustics treatments! See below photos of theatre portion of the long long portion/great room of Dave's home!

Dave once had a MacIntosh SSP with Room Perfect and he felt the Room Perfect Optimization helped; he then replaced it with a Theta Casablanca IV SSP with top D3 DACs for front speakers, but found in his setup that Dirac room correction did not improve the sonics (although many Theta CB owners have found Dirac indeed did improve sonics particularly if they have floorstanding speakers placed more "properly" and away from the walls); so Dave got a Lyngdorf MP50 which he has been burning in without using its Room Perfect optimization for the past 6 weeks or so and Dave has been happy with it and as it burned in he felt it was on par sonically (his ears, his room) with his Theta CBIV SSP.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going over to Dave's (way on other side of Phoenix from me) and first listening to his system as is; then we did the Room Perfect optimization; then we listened again. Listening tests (Oppo UDP-205) included a few discs that I brought over: CD of Acoustic Alchemy's greatest hits; Bohemian Rhapsody 4k disc (played movie extra 20 minute concert footage filmed for the movie but some of it cut in the movie); some jazz CD which Dave played a lot and was familiar with; Zubin Mehta with Khatia Buniatishvili 4k concert disc & Ready Player One 4k disc (played only after optimization).

Before doing the optimization, we reviewed a review of the MP50 at https://hometheaterreview.com/lyngdo...eamp-reviewed/ and the product manual at http://lyngdorf.com/wp-content/uploa...-june-2017.pdf

So pre-optimization, Dave's system sounded about as I would expect given his setup limitations - ok, but nothing making me interested in spending time listening to music or watching movies, etc. Sonics correlated like what I was seeing in his setup limitations.

Then we did the Room Perfect optimization. You are supposed to take a number of measurements. First from the main center listening position. Then from various random positions, heights, microphone orientations around the room. Random measurements no closer than 1.5 feet to side walls and 3 feet to front speakers. The onscreen display perfectly leads you through the optimization steps. If a measurement has an issue with volume level it tells you, and you reorient the microphone and stand and try again until there's no issue (Trinnov is similar in this respect). The on screen display tells you the percent of optimization achieved, and you are supposed to get at least 95. We did the "focus" main center listening position, and then I think 7 more random measurements. Then the manual states to do several more measurements but within 1.5' of side walls and also ceiling. So we did 3 more measurements randomly again to accomplish this. Then the MP50 did the optimization calculations.

Post optimization:

We put on the Acoustic Alchemy CD. We used and compared the "Focus" calculated optimization (for the main listening position), and the "Global" calculated optimization that Dave setup (more for the entire combined listening area). "Focus" really got my attention, sounded very nice, even "audiophile", much better than pre-optimization. "Global" also sounded nice but somewhat louder and not as detailed and clear, "Focus" was clearly better. We found this with another jazz CD that Dave was familiar with that he played. Dave and I moved some off to the left and right of the MLP, and the MLP, and we found in all these positions we preferred the "Focus" setting! Room Perfect optimization clearly transformed Dave's system nicely - you could close your eyes and have no idea of the room's severe limitations. With excellent 3D soundstaging reasonably behind the speakers!

Next, onto "Bohemian Rhapsody" 4k disc, the extra concert part, in Doby TrueHD 7.1 (since Dave doesn't have Atmos speakers anyway). Immediately, I noticed how much more real the crowd noise was than before (pre-optimization). Everything, and I mean everything, was markedly sonically better. I forgot just how way better my own theatre sounds, and was transformed almost to the venue thinking how the heck could this room with its limitations and poor setup sound so outstanding! I now had the illusion of being at the live concert to a fair extent - no longer the more 2 dimensional "flatter" sonics we had before. I was stomping my feet, etc and enjoying it! So very musical. Great soundstage. 3D!

Next we played the Khatia 4k concert disc, Khatia is one of the world's very best concert pianists. WOW! So very musical and involving! Didn't bother to play this pre-optimization as I could quickly tell the system's sonic limitations and wanted to get the optimization done. That piano sounded like - a real piano. You could hear and feel the decay of the piano notes! You could feel her fingers plucked quickly against the piano.

Next we played "Ready Player One" 4k disc. Nice sonics again, but bass slam here one could tell its limitations with only one corner placed 15" subwoofer!

By the way, in Dave's system, we played 2 channel CDs in both Dolby and Auro 3D, and both sounded nice. We really didn't so a comparison of one vs the other. Both sounded better to me than straight 2 channel in Dave's system!

Poor Dave. His new MP50 SSP gives him sonics and potential he hasn't had in his system before. And at a great price, $10k msrp (Dave didn't pay msrp, but we are not permitted on the forum to discuss prices below msrp). We discussed how he could improve his system even more - add a 2nd subwoofer in the other front corner; four inexpensive on wall side and rear surrounds, and move his current four inceilings speakers above his sofa for the 4 Dolby Atmos speakers. Dave is able to do all the work himself so that helps. I wonder what the future has in store. Nonetheless, as is his system now post Room Perfect optimization is very nice indeed.

Also, once we were all done, we realized that some months back Dave started using some EQ box for his subwoofer, which he left on during Room Perfect optimization. But when Dave setup the box, there is only one measurement position, the MLP. So it makes sense that his system will sound ben better, with better and more accurate mid and low bass, it he take out the box and then redoes the measurement procedure. Because the MP50 does measurements throughout the room, compared to whatever box this is which does one measurement at the MLP only. Which Dave intends to do next time in a few weeks when he gets a day off (Dave is quite busy - when I left he and his wife were taking the boys for their basketball practices - both point guards)! So I suspect that what I heard will get even better!

I still love my current dedicated theatre system (Trinnov Altitude 32 based 5.2.4, in process shortly of being upgraded to 9.4.13) and my Trinnov SSP certainly works for me given my speaker # upgrade and excellent sonics. However, as this thread discusses, the choices for those with say up to 16 speakers are getting more and more, Trinnov, Storm Audio, Lyngdorf, Datasat, soon MacIntosh?, someday Theta (18 channels upcoming CBV)? If I had kept my currrent 5.2.4 configuration, or even upped the speaker count a bit, I certainly could have got nice performance and not spent nearly as much as I am spending!

I admit I am so very impressed by this Room Perfect optimization. And if you have a more typical say living room theatre, with in or on wall front speakers, or even front floorstanding speakers very close to walls/obstructed, perhaps a Room Perfect SSP is right for you! I know Dave is now super thrilled he went this route. On the other hand, in a more "audiophile" setup, perhaps a Trinnov SSP, or a Dirac based SSP might work good for you. Now there's a lot of choice. Although I love my Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP, I think the Trinnov Altitude 16 SSP, retailing I think $17 or $18 grand is just as good sounding if you have up to 16 channels, but also the Lyngdorf MP50 at $10k msrp certainly hits a price point and the sonics I heard yesterday post-optimization were quite astounding! SSPs have come a long way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	2588096   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	2588098   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2588100   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	2588102   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2588104  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2588106   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2588108  

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 07-06-2019 at 10:43 AM.
post #80 of 84 Old 07-06-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Very good post Steve. Nice to hear your take on this SSP/RP.
joerod likes this.
post #81 of 84 Old 07-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Very good post Steve. Nice to hear your take on this SSP/RP.
Thanks.

I have now personally experienced, used and setup a Theta CBIV & IVA SSPs with Dirac; my current Trinnov Alitutude 32 SSP with Trinnov's proprietary room optimization; and now the Lyngdorf MP50 with their own (and MacIntosh as well) Room Perfect optimization. Each room correction measurement procedure is quite different methodology wise - which makes sense given patents on each! We've come a long way baby when it comes to SSP room correction!

post #82 of 84 Old 07-06-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 745
What do you think of Auro 2D? I’ve been using that with two channel sources on my MX160 and like it. Maybe a bit more than Auro 3D, but haven’t tried that in awhile. SJ
post #83 of 84 Old 07-06-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
What do you think of Auro 2D? I’ve been using that with two channel sources on my MX160 and like it. Maybe a bit more than Auro 3D, but haven’t tried that in awhile. SJ
In my theatre these past months I've been using Auro 3D/Auromatic upmixer for two channel (and also for multi-channel music) and just love it.
My prior Theta CBIVA SSP didn't have Auro at all! I didn't care for Dolby or DTS upmixing with my Theta CBIVA SSP or with my Trinnov SSP now.
When we listened post - optimization yesterday to the Lyngdorf MP50 it had both Auro 2D and 3D modes, I admit to be unfamiliar with the 2D mode. They sounded the same, likely because its only a 7.1 system. I suspect 2D means ground floor and 3D means expansion including the top/ceiling speakers as well. Bottom line for me with my Trinnov SSP I've been mightily impressed and love Auro for expanding both 2 channel as well as multi-channel music. When my system upgrade/theatre renovation is done in next few months, to a 9.4.13 system, I'll know even more re Auro 3D!

post #84 of 84 Old 07-07-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Yeah, Auro 2D just uses the floor and not the overhead speakers. Auro 2D is my default for two channel. I also really don’t care for DD or DTS various formats for two channel music. Sounds like a nice upgrade you have planned! SJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page