Bruzer cinema 9.4.9 is coming soon! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Bruzer cinema 9.4.9 is coming soon!

I built my dedicated home theatre as an addition to my existing home back 1996 to completion in March 1997. Early days of dedicated home theatre.
Back when 5.1 Dolby Digital was just coming into play, just before DVD, when Laserdisc was still king of the hill. Back when having a nice wetbar and storage cabinets & shelves was normal. Back when having exposed component racks was not too abnormal (like Widescreen Review's reference system).

But my how times have changed since then! Dedicated home theatres have become a big business! We have moved on from 5.1 audio, beyond even 7.1, to a top set of speakers matching bottom set of speakers for Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, soon DTS Pro, and Auro-3D!

Back in 1997 CEDIA installers mostly deadened theatres. Not anymore. Companies like Vicoustics recommend a proper mix of diffusion vs absorption and more folks, like Paul McGowan of PS Audio, emphasize better for the room to be more live but not too live (which I did back in 1997 using Michael Green acoustic treatments for this purpose, as did Widescreen Review in their reference theatre back then and for some years thereafter).

Back in 1997, it was SO COOL to have a 5.1 system with all floorstanding speakers arranged on a circle pattern. Now, not so COOL, theatres are too look neat with cables in wall and hidden. Though for so many years all floorstanding speakers simply give the best sonics. And NOW, the best theatre audio systems are based on a "bottom" of not 5.1 speakers, but at least 7.X (of course, X may denote multiple subwoofers) and even more often 9.X, with a "top" layer close or the same for speakers.

So is it time for me to change? For the past almost two years, after adding 4 top speakers, and changing out my video projector, my system has been:

VIDEO:
Sony VPL-VW5000ES laser projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 video processor/scaler
Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 2:40 168” wide X 70” H screen, Snomatte (1.0 gain) (with variable side masking to 4:3) (16:9 is 124.4” wide)

AUDIO:
Theta Casablanca IV-A SSP (Casablanca owner since 1997)
5 Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks
5 Aerial Acoustics 7t floorstanding speakers
2 JL Audio f212 subwoofers (each subwoofer has 2 12" woofers)
4 KEF Ci200RR-THX in ceiling speakers
ATI 526NT multi-channel amplifier

Oppo UDP-205 4k Blu Ray Universal Player
Apple TV 4k
DirecTV

2 channel music, ROON, using Sonic Transporter i7 ROON Core, Sonore Signature Rendu SE w optical/fiber upgrade, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB converter

Multi-channel music, ROON, also using CAPSv3 modded with Silverstone case and AMD Sapphire HDMI card, using HDMI out

Now what has already changed and will further change so that my entire theatre and system is revised, added to, and remodeled? Stay tuned!

By the way, I've come a long way, as I was not just a Theta luver, but also an Aerial Acoustics speaker luver since 1997. Whereas I have now left the Theta Casablanca SSP (but still have 3 Theta Prometheus monoblocks, and my new 2 Trinnov multi-channel amplifiers are manufactured by ATI/parent company of Theta):

1997: Four Aerial 10ts and a CC3
2000: CC5 replaced CC3
2001: Added three SW12 subwoofers
2008: Replaced 10ts with four 9s
2014: Replaced 9s and CC5 with 5 7ts (and sold the SW12s, now discontinued)
2019: Selling two of the 7ts, adding six of the on wall 7LCRs!
2020: When Michael Kelly comes out with his new "30T" (who knows, he might change the name by then), I plan to sell a pair of 7ts, keeping one 7t for center channel, and get a pair of 30Ts. I will finally have my dream speakers for music and home theater! (And I can finally equal or beat Ash Sharma, who has 3 Aerial 20Ts, now discontinued, up front in his theatre!)

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 04-20-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Best of luck..if it is an architectural upgrade please keep the photos coming. Mine is sixteen years old now. Starting to look a little dated.

Art
post #3 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sept 2018 CEDIA! Spent some time with Jon Herron, Internatl Sales Mgr of the Americas, Trinnov USA; and Steve Rutherford, Internatl Sales Mgr, Wisdom Audio. The Wisdom Trinnov demo was excellent. Trinnov had just incorporated Trinnov USA with Jon as their Sales Mgr for us in the USA and was getting US dealers. Trinnov had a solid presence at a number of demos at CEDIA 2018. And the demos I attended went well without serious issues as well. I had some good discussions with both Jon and Steve. I inquired of Steve why they changed from the Datasat SSP to Trinnov SSP from CEDIA 2017 to 2018. Steve explained in some detail all the goodies about setup with Trinnov and how much better and easier he felt it was to set up for a show with the Trinnov, and how they could use the Trinnov's many channels to biamp and triamp direct from the SSP! What impressed me were the sonics. For on wall and in wall speakers, excellent sound, particularly the bass. I could often feel it under me, not just direct, and it got me thinking to what extent the Trinnov SSP and its control/adjustments may have assisted this. And the Trinnnov SSP was ROON Ready via ethernet! To me this had an astouncing potential, no more USB to digital converter to SSP audio. Simplify system. Get back some money selling
Sonore Signature Rendu and Berkeley Audio Alpha USB converter.

Still, my dedicated theatre has a low noise floor and very 3D sound, easily more 3D than what I heard in the demos at CEDIA. Would the Trinnov SSP give me as low a noise floor, 3D sonics, bass, etc. as my long loved Theta Casablanca SSP? Considering the Trinnov SSP is software driven, vs Theta SSP which is more audiophile parts driven, can a "Cylon" software driven SSP sound as good as the audiophile SSP with technically the best SSP Dacs (Extreme D-3 Theta DACs)?

When I got back from CEDIA, I found out that there were no demo units. NADA. On a whim, I decided to buy an Altitude 32 (yea, more money than an Altitude 16), not because of more channels, but because I was hoping using ROON for music that the 192k capability for the 32 (vs 96k for the 16) would be sonically helpful. The Altitude 32, 16 channel, arrived late Sept 2018.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 06-07-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

So I got the Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP late Sept 2018. I quickly discovered there was then no easy setup option, like there was for the Altitude 16. I was cursing myself for spending the big bucks $$$ and trying to read through like the 170 page manual was so intimidated. And the thought of having to pay big bucks to a pro installer (Adam Pelz) to come out to set up the Trinnov SSP to perfection, more money down the drain, as no way I, a mere mortal, could initially setup the Trinnov SSP and get sounding anywhere close to where it should, thus what chance does it have of sounding as good as the Theta SSP, and if I pay the pro installer it could be more money down the drain? And the killer is that I was 100% happy with my Theta Casablanca SSP on both music and tv/movies. So the Alt32 sat unused for months. Finally, by mid-February 2019, I read at this forum that their was a beta firmware upgrade with the easy setup, so my dealer contacted Jon at Trinnov and Jon had it uploaded to my Alt32 quickly. Nonetheless, over the next two weeks, I read and reread the manual, finally feeling more comfortable. I had been told on the forum that the easy setup barely scratched the surface of what the Alt32 can do, so I first tried setup myself, not the easy setup, and saved this setup in a memory slot. Then I went to easy setup, only to find it led me through everything I had already done!
Finally, by the end of February 2019, I had setup the Alt32! FINALLY!

Frankly, my "heart" as a Theta luver since 1994 (Theta Generation VA DAC) (1997 Theta Casablanca SSP) kept telling me I was wasting my time, that no way the Cylon software based Trinnov SSP could equal the Theta SSP with its top DACs sonically! And I figured I would probably be selling the Trinnov SSP and taking a bit of a $$ loss.

Read on to find out!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 04-20-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #5 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I always listen to music in the back 2nd row center, as its more equistant to the distance between the front right and left Aerial 7ts. Front row, nearfield, seems great for video, but too too close for audio.

Well, upon getting the Alt32 connected, and doing optimization/measurement, and assigning 100% to front row center, that evening listened to ROON Ready via ethernet 2 channel music (using DJM Electronics Gigafoid v4 optical/media converter prior to Alt32) . WOW! Sounded great! Didn't sound too close like with Theta SSP at all. Maybe closer than I normally want, but I really enjoyed it. This was a surprise!

Over the course of the next few days, I had some ups and downs sonically as I made adjustments. Finally I got it adjusted, for ROON assigning 100% to back row center for music. I found didn't sound so good using remapping in 3D - but remapping in 2D sounded best (that's because my speakers are close but a bit off from equilateral triangle with the back center recliner) and better than anything I had heard with my Theta SSP! Very pleased.

About a week after Alt32 setup, my Sonore Signature Rendu came back with its Tier 3 (top line) optical/fiber upgrade. Now why when I had the Trinnov SSP sitting did I order and pay $$ for that upgrade? Because I doubted that I would be keeping the Trinnov SSP; or in the alternative the Trinnov SSP's AES/EBU connection from Berkeley Audio Alpha USB Converter/Sonore combo might sound better! Over the next few days I burned in the Sonore and did some listening, but didn't determine whether AES/EBU vs Roon Ready ethernet sounded better. I also watched some DirecTV & Netflix and it sounded fine, though I did not listen critically, thinking if two channel sounded as good or better so would the rest with proper adjustments made. I determined that on ROON music, the Alt32 skipped playing higher than 96k tracks. Jon at Trinnov verified there had been a bad batch of firewire cards causing this issue, so I shipped off the Alt32 for repair, and put the Theta SSP back in my system.

post #6 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

So again using the Theta SSP, playing ROON two channel music, using SSP's AES/EBU input as not ROON Ready, I listened to a fair amount of music over the next few days, and I frankly felt I was missing something. Stopped listening to music, and after about another week (10 days total), my Alt32 came back and worked like a charm! And I was again charmed by music! And I decided to sell my Theta SSP, not wait months to more properly demo the Alt32 as I had originally planned, and I sold the Theta SSP pretty quick (I was lucky?). Oh - the Alt32 sounded so good for music, using Auro-3D, that it got me now wanting to add more speakers! And subwoofers! And while in for repair I got in the order at the last minute, the day it was to be shipped back, to add 8 channels, to 24 channels! Thanks to Jon Herron of Trinnov who personally took care of this and ensured I got the 8 channel upgrade which only delayed shipping back to me by less than a day!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 06-07-2019 at 10:42 PM.
post #7 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Within the week after getting my Alt32 back, after burn-in and demoing, I realized that the Alt32's ROON Ready ethernet is fantastic sounding, and the sound of my Sonore/Berkeley Audio combo was about the same. Enabling me to simplify my system and I am selling my Sonore/Berkeley Audio combo. Yea! At least I can recoup some $$ against what I have spent and am about to spend!

post #8 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

The other night I decided to finally play a 4k disc. I have held off, logic being I am doing upgrades and why watch now when it can sound so better later? This is a definite problem with being addicted to this stuff! But I got over this and watched "Aquaman". But the sound was not very good. Sort of pissed me off. What did I do wrong? Why did I sell my Theta SSP already - I should have been more patient and exhaustive demoing the Alt 32. How could 4k sound not very good yet ROON music sounded fantastic, and DirecTV/Apple 4k TV sounded fine?

I could only think of the following:

1. I was stupid and should have kept my Theta SSP, the software "Cylons" can't possibly defeat the audiophile hardware.
2. I had yet to play anything on this HDMI Input, #6 , where I had played a lot on my DirecTV/Apple 4k TV HDMI input, #5 , and also well burned in the ROON Ready ethernet (and the HDMI input that I had used for the Sonore/Berkeley combo).
3. The Alt32 was so resolving that my near field speaker positioning was too out of whack and therefore didn't sound good. But that made no sense given how good 2 channel music via ROON sounded in the first row.

So I have been playing a 4k blu ray around the clock since Wed night.

Yesterday, David Prazak came over for a demo. First row video sounded really good - David noted it was more resolving than before, better treble, better bass. Demo included the concert extra from the recent Queen movie and it was unreal!!!

That issue is solved. Thankfully!

And late last night, I felt music in the back row, two channel and multi-channel (I find with my current setup, although front row sounds real good, I prefer sitting a bit further back) sounded better than ever! I think not having to warm up the Alt 32, leaving it on, helps maintain top sonics! (Thanks to Adam Pelz for advising that daily, its good to turn off, then back on, to clear memory; and someone else advised to leave something on and playing so Alt32 doesn't keep searching for something playing - so I leave on DirecTV and keep volume super low).

post #9 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Here are photos of my dedicated theatre room as is now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Front Screen Wall.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2556050   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 S Wall w Components.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	2556052   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 S Wall w Components.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	2556054   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 W Wall w Disc Racks.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	2556056   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 W Wall w Disc Racks.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	2556058  

Name:	6 Back Wall w Cabinets & Drawers.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2556060  
Jive Turkey likes this.

post #10 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yesterday I met with my installer Gerry Behm, Technology @ Home, LLC for several hours. I've known Gerry and used him over the course of 20 years. But of course it was odds 'n ends, not a full install as he normally does. He did my projector and screen less than two years ago and did a bang up job!

At the Trinnov thread here, and as advised by Jon Herron of Trinnov as well as master Trinnov calibrator Adam Pelz, I already understood that to maximize sonics, the base ground floor speakers should all be at the same height and the correct degrees as much as possible. Although the Aerial 7LCRs could be placed horizontally sideways above the component racks on the left and the disc racks on the right, it would be best to clear all that stuff out and place the Aerial 7LCRs vertically on the side walls at the same height as the floorstanding Aerial 7ts up front. Gerry fully recommended this as well, clearing out the component racks and blu ray storage (bye bye), and having them retrofit the cabinets & drawers at the back of the theatre (take them out) and instead modify nicely for some Mid-Atlantic component racks and disc storage (so I need to clean out all my old cables, etc stored in drawers and all my old Laserdiscs, DVDs and HD DVDs stored in back, which I never use anyway; and for now box up the 4k, blu rays, etc stored in the Boltz racks on the right, put in boxes, and after room is remodeled, I can store them in the back, hidden). Gerry explained that they are working extensively to lay all the in wall speaker cabling, so just cost some extra labor to redo the back for this.

I am discussing with Gerry the feasability of moving the projector back a few feet into an enclosure with cooling, and perhaps adding a Panamorph Paladin DCR anamorphic lens. Still up in the air on this but exploring this. And Ash Sharma will never leave me alone if I don't do this (I like talking to Ash, so maybe I shouldn't do this because if I do it he might stop talking to me).

Gerry has been buggin me for years to have him do Savant Home Automation for me. I only need it for my theatre room. Gerry explained that a one room license doesn't cost that much, plus programming fees. And of course I will need this with my components hidden in the back of the room!

What was initially simply trying out a new Trinnov SSP that I probably would end up selling has turned into a not quite full blown robbing of $$ from my retirement savings to renovate and modernize my theatre! WOW! And finding new audio friends outside the Theta World. A whole new audio horizon has opened up for me, one I really hadn't anticipated.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 06-07-2019 at 10:43 PM.
post #11 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

I have been researching, etc to determine # of speakers and components for my upgrade. Looks like it will be a 9.4.9 system, with 9 floorstanding/on wall, 4 subwoofers, and 9 in ceiling:

Front Left and Right; Front Center - 3 Aerial Acoustics 7t floorstanding speakers (moving front left and right 7ts closer to 30 degree angle and approximately via Rule of Fifths (for best stereo sound) about 3.5' from side walls and 5' from front screen wall (right now about 1.5' from side walls and 7' from front screen wall)

Front Wides, Side Surrounds, Back Surrounds - 6 Aerial 7LCR on wall speakers, on the side walls

Four Subwoofers (2 JL Audio f212, 2 Paradigm Pesonal) - probably at or close to midpoint of each wall, the Harman approach, or as recommended by Adam Pelz and my installer

9 Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/DTS Pro/Auro-3D In Ceiling Speakers (4 Height, 2 Top Middle, 1 Center Top Front, 1 Top, 1 Voice of God) - 9 Triad Inceiling Rotating Silver/9 Sat

Amplification:
Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks (front left and right, and center, Aerial 7ts)
Trinnov Amplitude 8 multi-channel amplifier (6 on wall Aerial 7 LCRs) (1 or 2 of the in ceiling speakers)
Trinnov Amplitude 8m multi-channel amplifier (7 or 8 of the 9 in ceiling speakers)

Photos of the components used/to be used for my upgraded and renovated theatre are posted below.

post #12 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Photos of Aerial 7t and 7 LCR speakers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aerial 7t.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2556094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerial 7LCR.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	2556096  

post #13 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Photo of Triad Inceiling Rotating Silver/Sat 9 speaker
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Triad InCeiling Rotating Silver 9Sat.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	2556098  

post #14 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Photos of JL Audio f212 subwoofer, and Paradigm Personal subwoofer.

My understanding is that since I have 24 channels with my Trinnov Alt32 SSP, that I can manage the 4 subwoofers (2 of each) with each output on a separate channel from the Alt32 (although Adam may choose to use Alt32 programming so that some subs function as one sub for purposes of room correction), and that I don't require external Q-Sys or Mini-DSP or other control for this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JL Audio f212 v1 subwoofer.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2556100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paradigm Personal subwoofer.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	2556102  
appelz likes this.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 04-20-2019 at 01:47 PM.
post #15 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Photos of Trinnov Altitude 32-1624 (24 channels), and Trinnov Amplitude 8 and 8m multi-channel amplifiers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trinnov Altitude 32.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	2556104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trinnov Amplitude 8 amplifier.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	2556106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trinnov Amplitude 8m amplifier.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2556108  

post #16 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

What I find interesting about the Trinnov Altitude 32, in comparison to my prior longstanding Theta Casablanca SSP, is the noise floor. It certainly seems appreciably better. As I turn up volume db by db, it may get louder than I want, but it doesn't seem to get harsh at all. Of course for music keep in mind that I almost always want to listen in Auro-3D and that gives me more speakers contributing, more headroom as well.

My friend Lon comes over periodically, and as I switch songs he'll tell me to turn it up a bit, or turn it down a bit. But last week with the Altitude 32, he never told me any of this, he was happy whatever volume I picked. And he picked up on this as well.

Dave Prazak was over yesterday and noticed this as well. I'll leave it to Dave to comment here on his sonic impressions. But the Altitude 32 for me is a sonic revelation. Though now I must admit to the potential "audiophile" club all Trinnov SSP owners, as the audiophile sonics of their system especially using ROON Ready ethernet are only limited by the musicality and dynamics of their speakers.

I want to emphasize I have chosen to go with a more traditional "audiophile" system, using Aerial speakers, because I feel they are more musical, particularly since my front three Aerial 7ts are floorstanding, out some from the side and front screen walls, thus breathing better and sounding more musical. My experience and demos indicate that the best on wall or in wall speakers simply do not as well 3D image as excellent floorstanding speakers. However, even I decided from a practical standpoint that floorstanding front wides, side surrounds, and back surrounds were simply not practical even for me, thus the on wall Aerial 7LCRs.

It is scary how good this will sound once the renovation/install is complete; and then once we verify we have everything working properly, no blown drivers, etc, then I will schedule Adam Pelz to come out to do his magic! Ash Sharma has warned me to make sure all is working properly before Adam comes out, because repeat trips due to not working drivers, etc just cost more $$$$ that can be avoided!

post #17 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
It is scary how good this will sound once the renovation/install is complete; and then once we verify we have everything working properly, no blown drivers, etc, then I will schedule Adam Pelz to come out to do his magic! Ash Sharma has warned me to make sure all is working properly before Adam comes out, because repeat trips due to not working drivers, etc just cost more $$$$ that can be avoided!
I travel with a pretty substantial amount of test equipment and tools, so I am able, and often do, fix things I find in the field. I hate to "punish" clients by having to schedule a return trip, besides being so busy lately it could be months later.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #18 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Four Subwoofers (2 JL Audio f212, 2 Paradigm Pesonal) - probably at or close to midpoint of each wall, the Harman approach, or as recommended by Adam Pelz and my installer
Adam just emailed me and recommended re sub placement in my rectangular room: 4 midpoints, 4 corners, 4 1/4 points (width or length) are all good solutions. So I'll discuss and work this out with my installer. Probably 4 1/4 points, as at the front screen wall I have the center speaker Aerial 7t at the room's center; and at the back wall we'll be putting in space for Mid-Atlantic component racks and there's the doors entering the room on the right, so just beyond the doorway a bit will be the quarter point, then the component racks, then beyond that for disc storage. Thanks, Adam.
appelz likes this.

post #19 of 61 Old 04-20-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The other night I decided to finally play a 4k disc. I have held off, logic being I am doing upgrades and why watch now when it can sound so better later? This is a definite problem with being addicted to this stuff! But I got over this and watched "Aquaman". But the sound was not very good. Sort of pissed me off. What did I do wrong? Why did I sell my Theta SSP already - I should have been more patient and exhaustive demoing the Alt 32. How could 4k sound not very good yet ROON music sounded fantastic, and DirecTV/Apple 4k TV sounded fine?

1. I was stupid and should have kept my Theta SSP, the software "Cylons" can't possibly defeat the audiophile hardware.
2. I had yet to play anything on this HDMI Input, #6 , where I had played a lot on my DirecTV/Apple 4k TV HDMI input, #5 , and also well burned in the ROON Ready ethernet (and the HDMI input that I had used for the Sonore/Berkeley combo).
3. The Alt32 was so resolving that my near field speaker positioning was too out of whack and therefore didn't sound good. But that made no sense given how good 2 channel music via ROON sounded in the first row.

Yesterday, David Prazak came over for a demo. First row video sounded really good - David noted it was more resolving than before, better treble, better bass. Demo included the concert extra from the recent Queen movie and it was unreal!!!

The issue is solved for sure. Just watched the 4k disc of "The Mule". Sonics were excellent. 3D. Musical. Clear vocals. Motorcycles and gunshots had
excellent mid and low bass and were what I expect in terms of quickness and tightness. As good or better than ever that I"ve heard in my system.
Very pleased.

post #20 of 61 Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Dave Prazak was over yesterday and noticed this as well. I'll leave it to Dave to comment here on his sonic impressions.

When Steve played a scene from Ready Player One, I was shocked at how good it was. Very clear and 3D. The sense of things moving around you was incredible and very solid.

Music had much cleaner/clearer bass, and it was a large sound - as if hearing it live. And, it didn't matter the type of music - all sounded really good.

Overall, the thing that hit me most was that the Dirac Live with the Casablanca really seems to emphasize the bass. In my system, I have not liked it, which is why I use the Casablanca without Dirac Live. With the Trinnov in Steve's system, the bass is more balanced and better integrated with the rest of the spectrum; hence, it's much clearer too. This helps with detail and allows the system to be 3D in a different way than the Theta with Dirac Live.

One more thought, I think the Trinnov EQ allows for more sparkle (upper frequencies) than Dirac Live with the Theta. In my non-treated/non-dedicated horrible room at home, Dirac Live seems to rob my system of dynamics, is bass heavy, and loses sparkle. That's why I use the Theta without Dirac Live in my system - I get to enjoy the benefits of the power supply, DACs, etc that goes into the Theta's build quality. It's what works best for me. However, in a dedicated room like Steve's, I can see (and I have now experienced) how the Trinnov is the better choice.

Dave
post #21 of 61 Old 04-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Quote:

The issue is solved for sure. Just watched the 4k disc of "The Mule". Sonics were excellent. 3D. Musical. Clear vocals. Motorcycles and gunshots had
excellent mid and low bass and were what I expect in terms of quickness and tightness. As good or better than ever that I"ve heard in my system.
Very pleased.
Steve

Look forward to hearing your upgrades !!!
Get the Kscape and A-lens while you are it and call it a day 😜
post #22 of 61 Old 04-22-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
I travel with a pretty substantial amount of test equipment and tools, so I am able, and often do, fix things I find in the field. I hate to "punish" clients by having to schedule a return trip, besides being so busy lately it could be months later.
Assumedly Adam is doing more than a “Turbo Cal”. LOL.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #23 of 61 Old 04-22-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Steve

Look forward to hearing your upgrades !!!
Get the Kscape and A-lens while you are it and call it a day 😜
You and Ash always tryin' and too often gettin' me to do more upgrades!

Mani, be sure to leave your Alt16 on, just turn way down when not using, and turn off/on reboot once per day. Your remote system should be able to do this I understand. Your sonics will be the very best this way. And be sure each HDMI input on the Alt16 that you are using has a good 100 hours burned in as well.

Mani, now that I am renovating and making room for Mid-Atlantic racks at the back of my theatre, more room to consider KScape. Question - I have lots of 4k discs, most are on Ultraviolet as well (which closes this summer) and most all are on MoviesAnywhere. I understand KScape may have an upgrade fee also when you own a disc to get the KScape version. Can you or anyone advise me regarding this? Thanks.

post #24 of 61 Old 04-22-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
When Steve played a scene from Ready Player One, I was shocked at how good it was. Very clear and 3D. The sense of things moving around you was incredible and very solid.

Music had much cleaner/clearer bass, and it was a large sound - as if hearing it live. And, it didn't matter the type of music - all sounded really good.

Overall, the thing that hit me most was that the Dirac Live with the Casablanca really seems to emphasize the bass. In my system, I have not liked it, which is why I use the Casablanca without Dirac Live. With the Trinnov in Steve's system, the bass is more balanced and better integrated with the rest of the spectrum; hence, it's much clearer too. This helps with detail and allows the system to be 3D in a different way than the Theta with Dirac Live.

One more thought, I think the Trinnov EQ allows for more sparkle (upper frequencies) than Dirac Live with the Theta. In my non-treated/non-dedicated horrible room at home, Dirac Live seems to rob my system of dynamics, is bass heavy, and loses sparkle. That's why I use the Theta without Dirac Live in my system - I get to enjoy the benefits of the power supply, DACs, etc that goes into the Theta's build quality. It's what works best for me. However, in a dedicated room like Steve's, I can see (and I have now experienced) how the Trinnov is the better choice.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I pretty much had to order you to leave after 3 hours! And keep in mind all I had to do was the microphone optimization measurement, look at the resulting graph and set the speaker crossovers (super easy and obvious), and let the "Cylon" Altitude 32 computer do the rest. Didn't have to input speaker distances. Didn't have to play sound and set speaker and bass levels. And since we listened to music in the 2nd row I've got ROON Music via ethernet (ROON Ready) set up to auto go to the memory computed for the 2nd row center music recliner where you were listening! I really like this KISS philosophy (Keep IT Simple Stupid)!
thezaks likes this.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 04-22-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #25 of 61 Old 04-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You and Ash always tryin' and too often gettin' me to do more upgrades!

Mani, be sure to leave your Alt16 on, just turn way down when not using, and turn off/on reboot once per day. Your remote system should be able to do this I understand. Your sonics will be the very best this way. And be sure each HDMI input on the Alt16 that you are using has a good 100 hours burned in as well.

Mani, now that I am renovating and making room for Mid-Atlantic racks at the back of my theatre, more room to consider KScape. Question - I have lots of 4k discs, most are on Ultraviolet as well (which closes this summer) and most all are on MoviesAnywhere. I understand KScape may have an upgrade fee also when you own a disc to get the KScape version. Can you or anyone advise me regarding this? Thanks.

Steve

I have noticed improvement after playing few movies , I don't know if that's burn in of the trinnov or the ribbon drivers or both .
In any case , I have used handful of UV codes from the discs I bought or purchases from Fandago with the UV rights and was able to redeem without any extra money on Kscape ( these were assortment of Blu Ray and 4K , but only half a dozen or so). I hardly buy discs , so cant comment in general. For blu rays and DVDs , and CDs you can buy the older premiere server and vault ( which I use along with newer strato 4K)and rip all your discs (non 4K) on kscape server without any extra money ( of course you will pay money for their vault and server etc ). But as you have seen in my theater its a breeze to browse through the movies and scenes and create your own scenes etc . I have had Kscape for 8 years now and have added various components during this tiome and cant remember ever rebooting any during this time or any component crashing . Haven't changed a single hard drive yet because of failure.
if you get interested and the UV purchases can be honored on kscape before they close, text me .
Yes there is upgrade fee if you go from disc to digital , but it is nominal and I am only talking about blu ray . Only advantage of that is that it frees up a slot in the blu ray vault. But you don't need to , if you don't need extra slot .
post #26 of 61 Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
post #27 of 61 Old 04-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Burn in... of the Trinnov ?

Art
Have never believed in burn in concept
But after two weeks system sounds more detailed . It may be imagination or the Alcons ribbons . No idea
I am not claiming any burn in theory , just stating what I am hearing
post #28 of 61 Old 04-22-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Good stuff...more room pics please! You've certainly spent a pile of retirement cash in the last year!!!!!

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #29 of 61 Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Have never believed in burn in concept
But after two weeks system sounds more detailed . It may be imagination or the Alcons ribbons . No idea
I am not claiming any burn in theory , just stating what I am hearing
Exactly. We state what we hear. We theorize why. Except for a new addition - Altitude 32 - all my monoblocks and the ATI multi-channel amp, and Oppo 205 4k blu ray player that I currently use are well used (and burnt in); and after playing the Oppo 4k into Alt32 for a few days I heard WAY better sonics. Good enough for me!

post #30 of 61 Old 04-23-2019, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Steve

I have noticed improvement after playing few movies , I don't know if that's burn in of the trinnov or the ribbon drivers or both .
In any case , I have used handful of UV codes from the discs I bought or purchases from Fandago with the UV rights and was able to redeem without any extra money on Kscape ( these were assortment of Blu Ray and 4K , but only half a dozen or so). I hardly buy discs , so cant comment in general. For blu rays and DVDs , and CDs you can buy the older premiere server and vault ( which I use along with newer strato 4K)and rip all your discs (non 4K) on kscape server without any extra money ( of course you will pay money for their vault and server etc ). But as you have seen in my theater its a breeze to browse through the movies and scenes and create your own scenes etc . I have had Kscape for 8 years now and have added various components during this tiome and cant remember ever rebooting any during this time or any component crashing . Haven't changed a single hard drive yet because of failure.
if you get interested and the UV purchases can be honored on kscape before they close, text me .
Yes there is upgrade fee if you go from disc to digital , but it is nominal and I am only talking about blu ray . Only advantage of that is that it frees up a slot in the blu ray vault. But you don't need to , if you don't need extra slot .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Good stuff...more room pics please! You've certainly spent a pile of retirement cash in the last year!!!!!
Darn that Mani. He's talkin' me into spending more of my retirement $$. I'm gonna have to enjoy it for now and die early so I don't totally run out of $$. Now Mani today has more or less talked me into Kaleidescape Strato C player and Terra Movie Server probably 40 TB. That Mani's gonna be the death (early) of me yet!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page