SIM2 HDR DUO PLUS | Review & Discussions - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 298Likes

post #271 of 275 Old 06-06-2020, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
The event was cancelled due to COVID-19

I answered this over in the Christie Eclipse thread, so here's what I said about this:

Thank you for your input Neil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 275 Old 06-06-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Hi Arrow, I have really enjoyed your reviews because they are clear and concise, Have you seen the Sim2 Nero4S in action ? - How does it perform in terms of overall image fidelity and tone-mapping ability ? I know the black levels are not as good as the new LCOS range by JVC but I hear it is not bad for such a bright single-chip DLP.

It would be nice if you could review the NERO4S and Balder CS. Furthermore it would be nice to establish how the Bragi compares to JVC.
Here's a review of the Nero4S:

https://homecinema-tendances.eu/test-sim2-nero-4s/ (use google translate for language of choice)

and another:

http://www.sim2.com/home/files/downl...nRev_mar19.pdf

Last edited by DunMunro; 06-06-2020 at 02:04 PM.
post #273 of 275 Old 06-06-2020, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post

https://homecinema-tendances.eu/test-sim2-nero-4s/ (use google translate for language of choice)

and another:

Thanks DunMunro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 275 Old 06-06-2020, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 7500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Thank you for your input Neil.
You're welcome. And it's Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post

and another:

We discussed that review by Doug Blackburn previously.

Sorry, but I can't take that review at all seriously.

Specifically, I could not disagree more regarding the 'good contrast performance', because the measurements irrefutably prove otherwise.

Furthermore, if he thinks this projector doesn't suffer from RBE quite frankly he needs to go and get his eyes tested ASAP.

But rather than repeat myself I'll simply re-post what I said about this previously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Just to make absolutely clear the SIM2 NERO4S DUO is not a 4K version of the SIM2 HDR DUO PLUS, so the latter is not "the HD version" of the former. These are two completely different products with MASSIVELY different video performance. So don't be expecting to see anything like as good overall video performance as the HDR DUO PLUS if you go and check out a demo of the NERO4S DUO

You can find the full product details for the NERO4S here: http://www.sim2.com/home/en/content/nero-4s-uhd-hdr

In short, it is a 6000 lumens rated lamp-based projector, which uses the same TI 0.67” 4M-Pixel-Shift Resolution 1-Chip DMD DLP chipset as is found within the entry level OPTOMA and BENQ projectors.

The BenQ LK990 projector features EXACTLY the same identical video chipset, with a 6,000 lumens LASER (not lamp) light engine... and costs only circa 8,000 bucks. The SIM2 NERO4S DUO costs circa 60,000 bucks and a singular NERO4S costs circa 30,000 bucks.

You can find the full product details for the BenQ LK990 here: https://business-display.benq.com/en...k990/spec.html

The attraction of the BenQ LK990 is the high brightness and laser light engine, at a low cost, wherein the low cost helps to offset the very poor low ADL contrast performance; wherein it should be noted that this chipset has a native ON/OFF contrast of circa 500:1 - 800:1

Let me repeat that... The native ON/OFF contrast performance of this video chipset measures circa 500:1 - 800:1. Yes, seriously.

It is interesting to note that the 'reviews' to which are being referred here, one of which includes absolutely zero measurements, and the other includes a full array of all measurements except only for (conveniently) omitting any and all contrast measurements.... Mmmmm, I wonder why?

The long and short of it is that I stake my professional reputation on being completely honest and impartial regarding all A/V equipment at all times. Consequently, I will not lie and I will not sugar-coat the truth either.

Wherein, the fact of the matter is that if you are looking for a typical very high brightness, very low ON/OFF contrast performing DLP projector, with single-chip DLP associated Rainbow Effect, then by all means check out these various projectors that all use the same TI 0.67” 4M-Pixel-Shift Resolution 1-Chip DMD DLP chipset; of which the BenQ LK990 probably offers the best value for money.

But to be perfectly honest, TI have just released a far superior chipset, which very considerably outperforms this 0.67” 4M-Pixel-Shift Resolution 1-Chip DMD DLP chipset. Specifically, it is a 0.98" NATIVE 4K (not 4M-Pixel-Shift) resolution 3-Chip DLP (no Rainbow Effect) DMD chipset with 3-4 times greater and hence very considerably superior native ON/OFF contrast performance.

So I ask the question...is there really a market for expensive, as in costing 30,000 - 60,000 bucks, projectors that use this TI 0.67” 4M-Pixel-Shift Resolution 1-Chip DMD DLP chipset, what with its 500:1 - 800:1 Native ON/OFF contrast and Rainbows? When there is now this much, much better chipset available? Not really.

If SIM2 are smart they will ditch the TI 0.67” 4M-Pixel-Shift Resolution 1-Chip DMD DLP chipset with respect to their more expensive projectors, and replace it with the new TI 0.98" NATIVE 4K resolution 3-Chip DLP DMD chipset.

Wherein, they could so very easily simply take the existing SIM2 HDR DUO PLUS, which currently features an almost identical size chipset, being 0.95" in size, and replace this with the new 0.98" NATIVE 4K resolution 3-Chip DLP DMD chipset... And BOOM! You'd have essentially the same absolutely incredible video performance of the SIM2 HDR DUO PLUS, but with the NATIVE 4K resolution that so many folks very clearly want!

Now THIS I would be EXTREMELY excited about and without a doubt SIM2 would sell these by the bucket-load!

The NERO4S singular or DUO for 30,000 or 60,000 bucks with its 500:1 - 800:1 native ON/OFF contrast TI 0.67” 4M-Pixel-Shift Resolution 1-Chip 'Rainbow Effect' DLP DMD chipset?

No thanks

woofer and MDesigns like this.
post #275 of 275 Old 06-08-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Those Nero's were also available direct throught Delta's consumer-facing brand Vivitek, from what I remember, from previous discussions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page