"Official' Fusion Research Movie Server Discussion Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
I really wish Fusion WAS onto something special, but it unfortunately it doesn't look like much more than what I can do on the hobbyist level, except what I can do for 1/5th the price would actually be less clunky.

It is NO more than you can do on your own. My interest was to see if they had a much better front end to replace my failed attempts with Dune and Nvidia/Plex. I'm about to try yet a 3rd with low expectations. I was very willing to pay a premium if they had a product to meet my needs.

Quote:
The reason the premium price SHOULD be worth it is for total ease of use, which it doensn't appear they're anywhere near the level of K. Everything has it's pros and cons and I can totally accept that when I know those things going in, but depending upon legally problematic 3rd party software (AnyDVD) that can come and go at a moment's notice is kind of a deal breaker. Bummer. I was REALLY hoping you had found the ultimate solution.
Their market appears to be those folks who want what you and I can build but don't have the knowledge (or guts!) to give it a go on their own. And as noted previously, they've been doing this for 12 years so must be doing something right. It may not be right for you and I but it clearly is for many others.
audioguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 52 Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lasalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Yes and no. It used to load straight into that screen posted above (minus the menu - that pops out when you click left), but mine has stopped doing it, so I need to do one click after turning the Zidoo on, to load the movie wall. I'm sure they'll sort that at some point (or may have sorted it already, and I've just not changed the appropriate setting).



Yes, you just have to have them set up as shares on your NAS (as you do with all media players) and then add them to the Zidoo as 'sources'. You won't need the "Next Up" folder though. The Zidoo has a menu option to filter by 'Recently Added' - very useful for finding recent rips.



Yes, I output everything as native.



Yes, all automatic as soon as it boots.



No not really. But pushing left and right on the directional pad on the remote allows you to skip forward and backwards quickly along the movie timeline bar. Have a look at this video at the 3:40 mark to see what I mean (ignore the annoying pumping of his camera):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMK-RyUC3pc




It does for standard HD blu-ray, but I'm not sure on UHD ISO rips as I've not done any.
A couple of additions on this.

It will handle BDMV, iso, and mkv rips for BD,3D, and UHD. I have not tried any DVD.

On Chapters. While playing a movie the pop up menu gives you a chapters list that you can select from, but its primitive and is not fully enabled in all movies. There are no chapter names just time marks. Also Page +/- will skip to next/previous chapter (usually)
Wookii likes this.
Lasalle is online now  
post #33 of 52 Old 06-05-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Yes and no. It used to load straight into that screen posted above (minus the menu - that pops out when you click left), but mine has stopped doing it, so I need to do one click after turning the Zidoo on, to load the movie wall. I'm sure they'll sort that at some point (or may have sorted it already, and I've just not changed the appropriate setting).
Okay, so i managed to fix this Chuck. Apparently a fresh cold boot was all that was required. It now boots straight into the movie wall again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'm about to try yet a 3rd with low expectations.
Which are you going for?
Wookii is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 52 Old 06-05-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Which are you going for?
Since in case I need help I can contact you, I will probably get what you recommended - the Zidoo X9S. My needs are not that complicated. What is the difference between the X9S and the Z9S? Do you use the native Zidoo app or run something like Kodi or.......?

EDIT: Since I already have the Shield and also have the Kodi app, I am going to query the Kodi forum and see if anyone there can help me get Kodi to work for me. As I currently have it configured, it is a piece of junk but given so many use it, I must not have the settings optimized.

Last edited by audioguy; 06-05-2019 at 08:43 PM.
audioguy is online now  
post #35 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 07:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Since in case I need help I can contact you, I will probably get what you recommended - the Zidoo X9S. My needs are not that complicated. What is the difference between the X9S and the Z9S? Do you use the native Zidoo app or run something like Kodi or.......?

EDIT: Since I already have the Shield and also have the Kodi app, I am going to query the Kodi forum and see if anyone there can help me get Kodi to work for me. As I currently have it configured, it is a piece of junk but given so many use it, I must not have the settings optimized.

There are a few differences between the X9S, and the Z9S. The Z9S has the newer RTD1296 processor, which has 30% more memory bandwidth, resulting in a bit faster speeds when loading the GUI, scrolling through posters etc. The Z9S also as a three segment front display, instead of two segment, so it can display the seconds, in addition to the minutes and hours, while playing back a video. The Z9S also comes with a larger backlit remote, with more dedicated buttons for certain tasks. The X9S remote is smaller, and non-backlit. Also, I believe the Z9S will eventually have HDR -> SDR tone mapping, which the X9S won't have. The X9S runs on Android 6, while the Z9S runs on Android 7, but the UI is pretty much the same. I believe that is pretty much it, so nothing too major, but definitely some minor quality of life improvements.
jwort93 is online now  
post #36 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
There are a few differences between the X9S, and the Z9S. The Z9S has the newer RTD1296 processor, which has 30% more memory bandwidth, resulting in a bit faster speeds when loading the GUI, scrolling through posters etc. The Z9S also as a three segment front display, instead of two segment, so it can display the seconds, in addition to the minutes and hours, while playing back a video. The Z9S also comes with a larger backlit remote, with more dedicated buttons for certain tasks. The X9S remote is smaller, and non-backlit. Also, I believe the Z9S will eventually have HDR -> SDR tone mapping, which the X9S won't have. The X9S runs on Android 6, while the Z9S runs on Android 7, but the UI is pretty much the same. I believe that is pretty much it, so nothing too major, but definitely some minor quality of life improvements.
Thanks so much. Very helpful.

Other than the potential speed improvement in loading the GUI, none of the rest is of critical importance for my use. Given I have a Lumagen, I have no need for tone mapping, and since the unit will be in an equipment room, having an improved display won't help. While in theory the lighted remote would be nice, I would need to determine prior to making a purchase decision which of these devices is supported via Control 4.

I am waiting to hear from the Kodi forum on if I can get Kodi on my Shield to do what I want. If I either get no response or the answer is "no", I will obtain one fo the Zidoo products.

Thanks again.
audioguy is online now  
post #37 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thanks so much. Very helpful.

Other than the potential speed improvement in loading the GUI, none of the rest is of critical importance for my use. Given I have a Lumagen, I have no need for tone mapping, and since the unit will be in an equipment room, having an improved display won't help. While in theory the lighted remote would be nice, I would need to determine prior to making a purchase decision which of these devices is supported via Control 4.

I am waiting to hear from the Kodi forum on if I can get Kodi on my Shield to do what I want. If I either get no response or the answer is "no", I will obtain one fo the Zidoo products.

Thanks again.

Both the X9S and Z9S have control4 drivers, but I don't have any experience with them, so I can't comment on how well they work.



What are you looking for the Shield to do? I had one in the past, so I'm fairly experienced with that as well.
jwort93 is online now  
post #38 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JaremyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MI
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I feel like on avs there’s a big divide between most of the folks that post about K and those that do the diy server, but we found here a subset of us that have experience in both worlds, as well as streaming.

To that end, we tend to post in the device specific threads overlapping discussions. I wonder if there’s room again to make a general media consumption discussion thread where we talk about multiple solutions and compare/contrast and pro/con between them and share thoughts and discuss new developments.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
JaremyP is offline  
post #39 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
I wonder if there’s room again to make a general media consumption discussion thread where we talk about multiple solutions and compare/contrast and pro/con between them and share thoughts and discuss new developments.
That sort of unofficially happens in many threads (e.g. this one). THIS ONE is a possible thread where that could be done.
audioguy is online now  
post #40 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
kingwiggi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK -> FL, USA
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Is the ISO playback with menus reliable in general for movies?
I have about 10TB of 4K UHD ISO's ripped and I'd say that it has about an 85% success rate in menu playback for those ISO's. That has risen from about 50% when the menu playback launched about 7 months ago so it is getting better. The menu functionality was licensed from another vendor which I think helps since they are not working on improvements in isolation.

These are just my guesstimates based on what I watch and obviously depends on what studios movies you are trying to play.

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871
kingwiggi is offline  
post #41 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
What are you looking for the Shield to do? I had one in the past, so I'm fairly experienced with that as well.
I can get everything I want with The Shield/Plex combination except video pass thru (it up converts 1080P to 4K) - and that is a deal breaker. I tried Kodi but can't seem to get it to do the following:

- Video pass thru (no upscaling or any other video processing);
- Be able to access my individual movie folder(S); BluRay, 4K, Concert Videos, etc.
- Have the opening screen ONLY be a list of the above folders
- Upon clicking one of the movie folders, have the movie wall appear
- Upon selecting a movie from the wall, have it display all the data about it
- Have it automatically detect adds/deletes/changes to any movie folder

That is it. Plex on the Shield does all but the first item.
audioguy is online now  
post #42 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I can get everything I want with The Shield/Plex combination except video pass thru (it up converts 1080P to 4K) - and that is a deal breaker. I tried Kodi but can't seem to get it to do the following:

- Video pass thru (no upscaling or any other video processing);
- Be able to access my individual movie folder(S); BluRay, 4K, Concert Videos, etc.
- Have the opening screen ONLY be a list of the above folders
- Upon clicking one of the movie folders, have the movie wall appear
- Upon selecting a movie from the wall, have it display all the data about it
- Have it automatically detect adds/deletes/changes to any movie folder

That is it. Plex on the Shield does all but the first item.
1) Kind of, if you set the main shield tv resolution to 1080p, Kodi will output 1080p content as such, and then automatically switch to 2160p when you play a 4k file. Kodi cannot automatically switch down to a lower resolution though (only automatically switch up to higher ones), so you can't leave the main Shield resolution at 2160p. This does have the side effect of making other streaming services like Netflix always playback at 1080p, unless you manually go into the settings and switch the resolution, as Netflix and most streaming apps cannot automatically change to 2160p when needed.

2)Should be possible, if you browse via the videos menu, rather than the movies menu.

3)Not sure about making the Kodi home screen be a folder list, I think it's doable though.

4)Possible

5)Yes, change the default file selection behavior to be show information, instead of start playback in the settings.

6)Yes, if you install the Watchdog add-on (https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Watchdog)

Last edited by jwort93; 06-06-2019 at 02:57 PM.
jwort93 is online now  
post #43 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I can get everything I want with The Shield/Plex combination except video pass thru (it up converts 1080P to 4K) - and that is a deal breaker. I tried Kodi but can't seem to get it to do the following:

- Video pass thru (no upscaling or any other video processing);
Aww, man. Really been interested in the Shield for a long time, but the auto-upscaling with no option to disable is a deal breaker for me. Can't believe they haven't come out with a fix for that. All it would need is a simple option to just always output to the source's native resolution! Thanks for pointing this out. That would've driven me nuts if I wasn't aware about it.
Montucky is offline  
post #44 of 52 Old 06-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lasalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thanks so much. Very helpful.

Other than the potential speed improvement in loading the GUI, none of the rest is of critical importance for my use. Given I have a Lumagen, I have no need for tone mapping, and since the unit will be in an equipment room, having an improved display won't help. While in theory the lighted remote would be nice, I would need to determine prior to making a purchase decision which of these devices is supported via Control 4.

I am waiting to hear from the Kodi forum on if I can get Kodi on my Shield to do what I want. If I either get no response or the answer is "no", I will obtain one fo the Zidoo products.

Thanks again.
I have the X20 Pro, it has the same chip as the Z models. It has video only and audio only hdmi outputs. I feed the video to the lumagen and audio to the Trinnov. Very clean signal, never have handshake issues.
Lasalle is online now  
post #45 of 52 Old 06-07-2019, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Aww, man. Really been interested in the Shield for a long time, but the auto-upscaling with no option to disable is a deal breaker for me. Can't believe they haven't come out with a fix for that. All it would need is a simple option to just always output to the source's native resolution! Thanks for pointing this out. That would've driven me nuts if I wasn't aware about it.
Apparently, the auto-upscaling is a Plex issue. MrMC and Kodi, which can also run on the Shield, don't (I think) have that limitation. But I am not a fan of the UI of either of those options.

I posted a query on the Kodi forum on how I might get the UI to be improved but no response as of yet. I'm 90+++% leaning toward gettin a Zidoo and just being done with it.
audioguy is online now  
post #46 of 52 Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Based upon what I have now learned, Kodi on the Shield is not the answer,

I should have my Zidoo X9S here soon and am hopeful it will allow me to quit chasing this rabbit.
audioguy is online now  
post #47 of 52 Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Based upon what I have now learned, Kodi on the Shield is not the answer,

I should have my Zidoo X9S here soon and am hopeful it will allow me to quit chasing this rabbit.
I'd appreciate if you will let us know how that works for ya!
AudioFan810 is offline  
post #48 of 52 Old 06-08-2019, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFan810 View Post
I'd appreciate if you will let us know how that works for ya!
Will do!
audioguy is online now  
post #49 of 52 Old 06-08-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
iansilv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just... get... a Kaleidescape... I mean seriously?!? It’s a half-assed implementation of anydvd and a disk id lookup system to pull cover art and information that only works if anydvd is correctly updated and actually able to crack the latest encryption. It’s clunky, ugly and it’s going to piss off your wife. Just get a Kaleidescape... 😀
iansilv is offline  
post #50 of 52 Old 06-09-2019, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post
Just... get... a Kaleidescape... I mean seriously?!? It’s a half-assed implementation of anydvd and a disk id lookup system to pull cover art and information that only works if anydvd is correctly updated and actually able to crack the latest encryption. It’s clunky, ugly and it’s going to piss off your wife. Just get a Kaleidescape... 😀
I had and sold a Kaleidescape. You can read my multiple reasons elsewhere - in many locations.

This implementation I had of ripped MKV files and a Nvidia Shield/Plex was far, far from clunky. It did everything I needed with a very respectable UI. The only issue I had was that it would not pass 1080P material with upscaling. I am believing I will get what I want from my new box - a Zidoo.
audioguy is online now  
post #51 of 52 Old 08-12-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,849
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 715
A review of another product:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...player-review/

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #52 of 52 Old 08-14-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,260
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Craig Rounds is doing the research on this product (without the hard drives as I already have the NAS)
audioguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off