My 'Bland' New Theater: JBL Synthesis... With Help From My Many Friends Here. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #31 of 104 Old 06-07-2019, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
The more pictures the more impressive it gets ! I'm sure by now you just want to get in and start using it but I have to believe you are getting quite a rush (do people still say that ?) just being in there. The look is incredibly beautiful even in the rough state you've posted so far ...clean, and architecturally gorgeous. I'm not sure how you came to the design but Dennis certainly did an impressive job there.

Art
Thanks so much. High complement coming from you and your exceptional room.

Really good work here and a nice design by Dennis...

Soon schedule a day here with wine and red meat!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 Old 06-07-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Robb Report??? Let's save that spot for Rob Hahn or IMAX!!!

But thanks so much. It sounds even better than it looks!!
My favorite 'car analogy' it's not how it looks but how it drives/handles
post #33 of 104 Old 06-07-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
My favorite 'car analogy' it's not how it looks but how it drives/handles
I've seen your garage... you have both!!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 104 Old 06-07-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:

You know me, hopefully Angela will be the designated driver. Very much looking forward to it.

Art
SOWK likes this.
post #35 of 104 Old 06-07-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

One aspect I will keep harping about Dennis's rooms are 'the comfort of watching a movie or a movie marathon'... what I mean is - the sight lines, the chairs, the air conditioning etc - I have visited theaters where the owner has spent as much money or more than I have and it is hard to park your butt on the chair through one movie or the sight lines are such that they give you a neck pain etc...
When I built my theater Dennis (knowing my family size and lifestyle) discouraged me from putting a third row and instead put a lobby - his point was from his experience the third row is barely used and sure enough I think eh helped me with a good decision.
You add Adam and Steve to the mix and viola...
Craig Peer likes this.
post #36 of 104 Old 06-07-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
A movie PALACE. I approve of your choice of the JBL Synthesis setup. I heard the system at CEDIA last year and I was IMPRESSED. Enjoy your spectacular new theatre!

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #37 of 104 Old 06-07-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Congratulations Jeff. It seems you, like Art, really brought in world-class talent and drew from the best of many worlds (Mark, Steve, Adam, Dennis, and Curt for your dedicated room). Please let us know when you have your GTG for the AVS crowd. I'd be interested and coming in to hear this JBL system.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 06-07-2019 at 11:01 PM.
post #38 of 104 Old 06-08-2019, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Congratulations. Wow!! Thanks for sharing. SJ
post #39 of 104 Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Jeff, if you live not too far from Mark Burnstein, around Aug 23 or so you may have some theatre visitors if you are up to it - the rumor is that Alan Gouger, Mark Burnstein and Steve Bruzonsky, the Three Amigos, will be getting together near you!
Craig Peer likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #40 of 104 Old 06-19-2019, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Jeff, if you live not too far from Mark Burnstein, around Aug 23 or so you may have some theatre visitors if you are up to it - the rumor is that Alan Gouger, Mark Burnstein and Steve Bruzonsky, the Three Amigos, will be getting together near you!
HA! The 3 Amigos!

I should be around. Never met Alan (or you). Would be a good time! My new place is about 5 miles from Mark - so close.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #41 of 104 Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Looks like another job well done. Congrats sir.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #42 of 104 Old 06-19-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
HA! The 3 Amigos!

I should be around. Never met Alan (or you). Would be a good time! My new place is about 5 miles from Mark - so close.
When we add you we will be the 4 Quatros!
Ash Sharma likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #43 of 104 Old 06-20-2019, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When we add you we will be the 4 Quatros!
Yes sitter! I’m up for a get together. Should be a good time.

post #44 of 104 Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Love it, it look awesome
post #45 of 104 Old 06-24-2019, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 4055 Post(s)
Liked: 7086
Looks fantastic Jeff! Congratulations!

But I have to ask, WHERE IS THE LUMAGEN! That's the missing element that will bring the video on par with that audio system!
Craig Peer and appelz like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #46 of 104 Old 06-24-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5087 Post(s)
Liked: 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

But I have to ask, WHERE IS THE LUMAGEN! That's the missing element that will bring the video on par with that audio system!
I asked the same question in Post 8!!
Craig Peer likes this.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #47 of 104 Old 06-24-2019, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 4055 Post(s)
Liked: 7086
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Quote:

Great minds think alike!
Craig Peer likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #48 of 104 Old 06-24-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Great minds think alike!
I agree! Does that make me a great mind?
Craig Peer likes this.

post #49 of 104 Old 06-24-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Especially IMO if you are running a K Strato that has no type of tone mapping.... SJ
Craig Peer likes this.
post #50 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 472
If DTM is the main use , and you don’t want to use Lumagen’s CMS capabilities then you may want to wait and see,
What the MadVR Envy has to offer with its Dynamic Tone Mappaing.
post #51 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 664
WOW, What can I say, I don't have words for my admiration.
Hope it's everything you ever wanted it to be, and MORE.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #52 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
If DTM is the main use , and you don’t want to use Lumagen’s CMS capabilities then you may want to wait and see, what the MadVR Envy has to offer with its Dynamic Tone Mapping.
Wait until when? There is not even speculation on when that date may be. And what will be the price? And what will be the support (since the support Jim provides on his product is as good as any audio product I have ever used)? And what about documentation?

Even assuming for the moment that the Envy product would somehow be superior to the Lumagen, it is a very long leap to go from running development software in some kind of computer to creating a real product with appropriate enclosure, getting necessary government approvals, documentation, support, etc. And then, of course, creating distribution channels will be required. Will they ever get there? Likely! But given all of the unknowns, I will keep my Lumagen, its functionality (including CMS) and its support. If the do release this as an official product, a low price may be necessary to attract enough attention to get enough sales to make it a long term viable solution.

Why do I say all of this? Why am I "Mr. Negative"? I once worked for an audio company that, in fact, did have the better mousetrap. And for many years, the ONLY mouse trap. But they learned (unfortunately) that it takes lots of money to provide all of the "behind the scenes" pieces to make a LONG TERM viable company. And they were certainly in a TINY "niche" (at the time) segment of the audio market - as would be this product be in a SUPER TINY segment of the home theater projector market. I really do wish them well, as competition is always welcome ....... But we shall see.
llang269 likes this.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
post #53 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Wait until when? There is not even speculation on when that date may be. And what will be the price? And what will be the support (since the support Jim provides on his product is as good as any audio product I have ever used)? And what about documentation?

Even assuming for the moment that the Envy product would somehow be superior to the Lumagen, it is a very long leap to go from running development software in some kind of computer to creating a real product with appropriate enclosure, getting necessary government approvals, documentation, support, etc. And then, of course, creating distribution channels will be required. Will they ever get there? Likely! But given all of the unknowns, I will keep my Lumagen, its functionality (including CMS) and its support. If the do release this as an official product, a low price may be necessary to attract enough attention to get enough sales to make it a long term viable solution.

Why do I say all of this? Why am I "Mr. Negative"? I once worked for an audio company that, in fact, did have the better mousetrap. And for many years, the ONLY mouse trap. But they learned (unfortunately) that it takes lots of money to provide all of the "behind the scenes" pieces to make a LONG TERM viable company. And they were certainly in a TINY "niche" (at the time) segment of the audio market - as would be this product be in a SUPER TINY segment of the home theater projector market. I really do wish them well, as competition is always welcome ....... But we shall see.
First, I like my Lumagen and leverage a lot of its capabilities. The support is good and updates (especially DTM) are frequent.

The MadVR DTM algorithms and other functionality is running in production on an HTPC. Their performance is a known quantity.
They are not being crammed onto a DSP chip architecture. My understanding is its being ported to a purposed built PC in a box (probably Linux shell). Initial external testing is being lined up over the next few months (as I understand it). We will know a lot more
When that is underway. Jeff just got his system up, if he is like me, he may want to enjoy it for a while before making any tweaks (it’s not like its got any major flaws , quite the opposite). By CEDIA we will know a lot more about the ENVY and the ongoing improvement of DTM on the Lumagen. Just my 2 cents.
taker likes this.
post #54 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I agree! Does that make me a great mind?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Especially IMO if you are running a K Strato that has no type of tone mapping.... SJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
If DTM is the main use , and you don’t want to use Lumagen’s CMS capabilities then you may want to wait and see,
What the MadVR Envy has to offer with its Dynamic Tone Mappaing.
Brad has it!

I may add a Lumagen - a lot of pressure from Adam when he was on site. BUt for now, I am just enjoying what I have and learning about it all.

I'm going to wait and see on the Lumagen.

Ignorance is bliss as the picture looks good to me so hard to say how big of an improvement tone mapping will make with K? Anyone quantify it? I haven't watched a disc since adding K.

My main issue (cost aside) is I've owned a Radiance and would periodically get a pink or blue screen on start ups and would have to reboot components to get the piciture back. I see posts on folks here constantly waiting for the next firmware upgrade to cure some ill. Not ready to play that game yet.

I may get one or wait for the Envy but I just wish it was as reliable as any other HT piece of equipment?!

But thanks for the concern!!
joerod likes this.

post #55 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ignorance is bliss as the picture looks good to me so hard to say how big of an improvement tone mapping will make with K? Anyone quantify it? I haven't watched a disc since adding K.
Re-read the comment from SJHT. He has a K system.

The Lumagen Radiance Pro has been called the "Trinnov of Video" and I wholeheartedly agree. And certainly based upon Art installing two 5000's, a single 5000 does not have enough light output to get the very best HDR. (and, apparently according to Art, neither do two). While the Lumagen won't suddenly give you a projector that has more output, DTM takes best advantage of the output you do have.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but my Lumagen has been trouble free. No pink or green or blue screens. The combination of the Lumagen--->Sony 5000--->Panamorph is about as good as it gets (short of spending the equivalent of a new home).

My projector (JVC RS4500) does not have the light output of the 5000 and my screen is a lot smaller than yours. But DTM is really a great addition. Given every other piece of equipment in your room, you really do NEED one!!

post #56 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Brad has it!

I may get one or wait for the Envy but I just wish it was as reliable as any other HT piece of equipment?!

But thanks for the concern!!
And once the Envy is out Game over Lumagen
post #57 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And once the Envy is out Game over Lumagen
Based upon what?

post #58 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Based upon what?

My Forecast ...
post #59 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My Forecast ...
Hence, I’ll sit on the sidelines and wait and see who wins...

But ignorance is bliss and I like the picture I have... so far.

post #60 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Very nice set up

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page