My 'Bland' New Theater: JBL Synthesis... With Help From My Many Friends Here. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #61 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 710
I just finished calibrating two systems for a client. Living room theater (although it is still a dedicated light controlled room) and his private cinema. Both have Sony 5000's, but only the theater has a Lumagen. It took the client about 30 seconds to comment how much better the picture is in the theater when he saw it today.

Fun comparison all around. Living room is a 7.1.4 system with an Altitude16, Triad all around and 2 Seaton subs. Theater is all Procella, 11.1.6 with an Altitude32 and 4 Seaton subs.
audioguy, SJHT, Craig Peer and 4 others like this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
I just finished calibrating two systems for a client. Living room theater (although it is still a dedicated light controlled room) and his private cinema. Both have Sony 5000's, but only the theater has a Lumagen. It took the client about 30 seconds to comment how much better the picture is in the theater when he saw it today.

Fun comparison all around. Living room is a 7.1.4 system with an Altitude16, Triad all around and 2 Seaton subs. Theater is all Procella, 11.1.6 with an Altitude32 and 4 Seaton subs.
Same for me , big difference between pre and post calibrated picture esp for HDR using Lumagen ( and you can easily compare A and B on Lumagen by flip of a button ) . Biggest accolade to Lumagen is that I haven’t seen anyone on this forum or in person who has Lumagen pro and prefers the picture without Lumagen or has had any regrets . But it’s Jeff’s theater and his money , we can only persuade him to come over to the dark side ( or in this case may be bright side )... 🙂.. 😀
But beautiful theater Jeff and great audio equipment ....
post #63 of 104 Old 06-25-2019, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
And once the Envy is out Game over Lumagen
Quote:
My Forecast ...
Ya gotta luv ASH. Trying to make us Lumagen Radiance Pro owners "ENVY"OUS!!!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Ya gotta luv ASH. Trying to make us Lumagen Radiance Pro owners "ENVY"OUS!!!
Steve,
After 20 years on the forum you finally have a Avatar that looks adorable :-)
Ash
post #65 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Hence, I’ll sit on the sidelines and wait and see who wins...

But ignorance is bliss and I like the picture I have... so far.
Solomon had it right. Every now and then you need to stop chasing the wind and sit back and envoy your blessings.
post #66 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 05:05 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Hence, I’ll sit on the sidelines and wait and see who wins...

But ignorance is bliss and I like the picture I have... so far.
If you ever need or want a demo of madVR Dynamic Tone Mapping, SirMaster and I can demo it for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #67 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5087 Post(s)
Liked: 3945
Quote:

Wow. Two Sony 5000/Trinnov/Seaton home theaters in one home. How does he decide which one to visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Solomon had it right. Every now and then you need to stop chasing the wind and sit back and envoy your blessings.
And I do agree with the Solomon wisdom. And given that, I would highly recommend that Jeff does NOT go visit anyone with a 5000/Lumagen until such time as he is ready to buy. Because, he may be like many on this forum. We can resist everything but temptation!! (which is the same reason I won't go visit anyone with, for example, a Trinnov 22.x.10 theater. I can neither "afford" the upgrade/equipment nor the follow up divorce!!)

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #68 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
. Living room theater (although it is still a dedicated light controlled room) and his private cinema. Both have Sony 5000's,

Living room is a 7.1.4 system with an Altitude16, Triad all around and 2 Seaton subs. Theater is all Procella, 11.1.6 with an Altitude32 and 4 Seaton subs.

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around this. Wow.

Regards, John
Video: Digital Projection 330 HighLite HC, Stewart 1.3, Radiance Pro, Anamorphic Lens
Audio: Trinnov Altitude16, QSC iCore250, QSC DCA 1622 Amps
Speakers: Procella P8's, P6V's, P18, Triad Silvers Atmos 11.3.4
post #69 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Wow. Two Sony 5000/Trinnov/Seaton home theaters in one home. How does he decide which one to visit?
The living room space is primarily for music and TV. It is still an isolated and treated room, but designed to have a longer decay time after talking with the client about Focus vs Envelopment, with a comfortable sectional couch, with a 10' wide screen. The theater seats 12 (33' x 20') and has 14' wide screen, and will be used for movies and bigger groups of people of course.

JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
post #70 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The living room space is primarily for music and TV. It is still an isolated and treated room, but designed to have a longer decay time after talking with the client about Focus vs Envelopment, with a comfortable sectional couch, with a 10' wide screen. The theater seats 12 (33' x 20') and has 14' wide screen, and will be used for movies and bigger groups of people of course.
Thanks. Sounds like I need to upgrade our family room 75" Sony TV and Sonos Soundbar --- or not!!

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
post #71 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Quote:

That guy is our hero. If the rooms were treated for identical characteristics on performance, with similarly measured target curves on the speakers, you could have live humans do split A/B tests with randomized trials and compare differences in sound, possibly.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #72 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
And given that, I would highly recommend that Jeff does NOT go visit anyone with a 5000/Lumagen until such time as he is ready to buy. Because, he may be like many on this forum. We can resist everything but temptation!! (which is the same reason I won't go visit anyone with, for example, a Trinnov 22.x.10 theater. I can neither "afford" the upgrade/equipment nor the follow up divorce!!)
LOL, I'm still recovering from Art Sonneborn's GTG last year with the JBL gear, six Seatons and synched Sony ES projectors. The difference is that Jeff (thebland) could act on the urge to "improve". I'm pretty much seat short of us moving and winning the lotto (LOL).
Reddig likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #73 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
That guy is our hero. If the rooms were treated for identical characteristics on performance, with similarly measured target curves on the speakers, you could have live humans do split A/B tests with randomized trials and compare differences in sound, possibly.
I'm sure Adam might be able to comment on this but I can't image how Triads and Procella could sound anything alike. I own Triads and have heard Procella. While the settings/rooms were very different, (as is the case with Adam's client), they would never be confused as sounding alike.

post #74 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Quote:

Art May disagree . He may have wanted Sony double stacked and Trinnov double stacked in one room 😀
post #75 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Holy cow and I thought I was crazy.
sdrucker likes this.
post #76 of 104 Old 06-26-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 3441
Quote:
It's done! (well 99% done )

It's been an almost 2 year process fraught with set backs, cost over runs, disappointments, undos, re-dos, equipment swaps, short circuits and many, many delays. But last night, I forgot all about that and enjoyed a truly awesome movie experience! 13.8.8 JBL Synthesis (w/ M2 LCRs), 4 Wisdom mid bass subs and 4 Seaton F18s to dig deep in an amazingly crafted space. I was sold on the M2s after a couple trips to Art Sonneborn's incredible theater.

Equipment List:

JBL Synthesis SDP-75 - 32 Channels
JBL M2 (3) LCRs
JBL SDA 4600 (3) - 1 SDA 4600 each LCR
JBL SDA Amplification all other channels (2 X SDA-8300)
JBL SCL-4 (8)- Wides, Surrounds(4), Rears
JBL SCL-3 (8) - Top Fronts, Front Heights, Middle Heights, Rear Heights
Wisdom S90i in-wall Subwoofers (4)
Seaton custom F18 subwoofers (4)- Seaton Amplifier
QSC 110F DSP (subwoofers)
Sony 5000ES 4K Projector
Panamorph Paladin Anamorphic Lens
K-Scape 24 TB Terra server
K-Scape Strato S 10TB player
Panasonic 4K DP-UB820 BD/4K player
Stewart 14.5" wide VistaScope / Sno-Matte MIcroperf
Crestron Control
Lutron Grafik Eye lighting control (8 zones), Radio Ra2 Lighting system
Lutron HVAC control (Radio Ra2)
Equi-Tech 10-WQ 200 Amp 'Balanced Power' Panel (350 lbs ) - Thanks Ted C - Ted was a huge help here with the issues my electricians had with wiring!
Sanus 44U racks (2)
Palliser Seating
Quest Acoustical materials

JBL's, you will get theater sound JBL is the choice of the best commercial theaters.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #77 of 104 Old 08-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
When we add you we will be the 4 Quatros!
Quote:
And once the Envy is out Game over Lumagen
Not anymore. Ash now has a Lumage Radiancen Pro. He is no longer "ENVY"ous of us Lumagen Pro owners and its great dynamic tone mapping, auto aspect ratio, etc.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #78 of 104 Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Not anymore. Ash now has a Lumage Radiancen Pro. He is no longer "ENVY"ous of us Lumagen Pro owners and its great dynamic tone mapping, auto aspect ratio, etc.
I am a video and audio Who** - my loyalties are with the best providers :-)
If Lumagen delvers - they are my best friend - if Envy does they are ...
HAAAA
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #79 of 104 Old 08-18-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 2783
I’m not even sure I should post in this area, knowing I’ll never have anything as nice as this theater, but wow! Nice theater, I absolutely love the look, and I can only imagine how it sounds. Let me put in another vote for a gtg! I’d be honored to see and hear, heck, just experience a room like this one. I couldn’t make it to Arts last gtg, but a few of my Avs buddies went. They all told me how great it was. Hopefully one day I’ll get the opportunity to check out one of these top notch theaters!
Thanks for the write up on yours. Excellent read.
Jared
thebland and hd0823 like this.
post #80 of 104 Old 08-18-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarcia View Post
Holy cow and I thought I was crazy.
ummm...don't you have a projector that has it's own chiller, 3 phase power, and required a crane to bring in??
I'd say you qualify for the "crazy" title. lol, j/k of course.
thebland, appelz and Reddig like this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #81 of 104 Old 08-18-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
ummm...don't you have a projector that has it's own chiller, 3 phase power, and required a crane to bring in??
I'd say you qualify for the "crazy" title. lol, j/k of course.
For the record, 4 of us carried it inside... I'll make no other comments on the other statements in your post.
thebland, Reddig and gwthacker like this.

post #82 of 104 Old 08-18-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Just for the record. No crane was involved, just a winch to get it up high enough so they could slide the stand under the projector!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thebland and Reddig like this.
post #83 of 104 Old 08-18-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Wow I love how the room turned out. While at arts I overheard you guys talking about your room and what you had planned. It looks amazing and I'm sure sounds even more amazing and to have that ceiling height in a basement is super impressive. Great job and I have to put in another vote for a g2g. Me and jk7.2 just had a dual stop one last weekend and it really is a great time getting to talk to other enthusiasts that share the same passion for this hobby.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thebland and Jk7.2 like this.
post #84 of 104 Old 08-18-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
I just noticed I havnt posted here yet. Super congratulations on your theater man! Peter would be proud! The gear list is spectacular and the build is up there with the best of em!
thebland likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #85 of 104 Old 08-19-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Thanks guys. Much appreciated! It was a very long process process but things are coming around. We get 2-3 good months here in Michigan so have been doing other things this summer. Once Fall starts, I expect to really start using it!!
Reddig and Jk7.2 like this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #86 of 104 Old 08-19-2019, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Just saw this... Better see about moving my schedule around!~

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #87 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Long Live SDI!
Problem with SDI these days is you need four cables per device/screen.

And the room is so bland, LOL! Amazing project.
post #88 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Thanks guys. Much appreciated! It was a very long process process but things are coming around. We get 2-3 good months here in Michigan so have been doing other things this summer. Once Fall starts, I expect to really start using it!!
If you consider 90F+ degree days with 95% humidity and random violent rain/wind storms that take out power "good months", then, yeah

I like Sept-Nov and March-May outside in SE MI, and camp/do projects in the basement theater Thanksgiving>Easter then the hot/humid weeks of June-August

So that's at least 6 "good months" in SE MI for me

MI west coast and "up north" are different stories.

Last edited by Rgb; 08-22-2019 at 08:29 AM.
post #89 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Problem with SDI these days is you need four cables per device/screen.

And the room is so bland, LOL! Amazing project.
Of course I was in jest, and haven't followed the SDI standard for years. Didn't know it capped out at 1080i/p
post #90 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Of course I was in jest, and haven't followed the SDI standard for years. Didn't know it capped out at 1080i/p
Actually I was refering to 12G SDI, so one needs 4 cables for 8K 4:2:2. SDI HD was 1.5G, then there was (quad for 4K) 3G, 6G and 12G, though most equipment still comes with 3G (x4).

This thread triggered me to search youtube for some Bland, Bobby Blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page