My 'Bland' New Theater: JBL Synthesis... With Help From My Many Friends Here. - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #91 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Actually I was refering to 12G SDI, so one needs 4 cables for 8K 4:2:2. SDI HD was 1.5G, then there was (quad for 4K) 3G, 6G and 12G, though most equipment still comes with 3G (x4).
I was originally referencing the Leeza video processor and SDI-modded DVD players of yore that thebland and other HT guys used in prior theater(s).

Other than pro/commercial use, I wonder if any recent vintage gear even has SDI ports for home/prosumer use (not counting the extreme users who might install commercial broadcasting gear)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...more-info.html
https://content.abt.com/documents/67...HD1080P_manual

Last edited by Rgb; 08-22-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
If you consider 90F+ degree days with 95% humidity and random violent rain/wind storms that take out power "good months", then, yeah

I like Sept-Nov and March-May outside in SE MI, and camp/do projects in the basement theater Thanksgiving>Easter then the hot/humid weeks of June-August

So that's at least 6 "good months" in SE MI for me

MI west coast and "up north" are different stories.
Sounds like hell, its even freezes over. Awaiting yet another heatwave* here in Holland.

* 5 days over 25 degrees, of which at least three are 30 or over.
post #93 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

In case some HT noobs are wondering

https://www.aja.com/solutions/12g

Nice DRM-free digital video interface using coax and robust BNC connectors, used in higher end/modded HT gear prior to HDMI

Last edited by Rgb; 08-22-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Sounds like hell, its even freezes over. Awaiting yet another heatwave* here in Holland.

* 5 days over 25 degrees, of which at least three are 30 or over.
..and I grew up here in SE MI with no AC in the home!

But, a pool was almost standard in those days (70's-80's) - a decent metal walled or in ground pool, not those quick soft sided "inflatable" things.

Like a barn raising, everyone helped dig out, assemble and build a pool when a neighbor got one. Kids would go from one pool to the next all day June-August.

Yes, SE MI is unique in that we get the worst of both extremes. Ironically, the hottest temp recorded in MI was 112F in Mio!

https://k1025.com/what-is-the-hottes...r-in-michigan/

Quote:
You have to go back to the summer of 1936 and the worst heatwave on record in the United States to find Michigan's hottest ever weather recording.

Two communities in Michigan hit 112 degrees on July 13, 1936, Stanwood in Mecosta County and Mio in Oscoda County.
Mio is quite far north of the Detroit (SE MI) area, only ~30min from a family lake home!

Then we can get days/weeks solid of below 0F randomly in Dec/Jan/Feb.

Perfect times to use/work on your HT

Last edited by Rgb; 08-22-2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #95 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Quote:
If you consider 90F+ degree days with 95% humidity and random violent rain/wind storms that take out power "good months", then, yeah

I like Sept-Nov and March-May outside in SE MI, and camp/do projects in the basement theater Thanksgiving>Easter then the hot/humid weeks of June-August

So that's at least 6 "good months" in SE MI for me

MI west coast and "up north" are different stories.
Ha! True that!

I have a place up on the west side of the state (CHarlevoix). WHole different climate up there and a wonderful summer this year breezy and 70s. Gorgeous! Hope to spend all summer up there some day!!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #96 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In case some HT noobs are wondering

https://www.aja.com/solutions/12g

Nice DRM-free digital video interface using coax and robust BNC connectors, used in higher end/modded HT gear prior to HDMI
AJA is one of the major proponents of 12G SDI. On the DCI-forum i read about a new 8K HDR processor/scaler and 33 point 3D LUT box, from an even bigger promotor of 12G SDI, skipping 6G, and immiediately moving away from the industry default, Quad 3G SDI, a number of years ago Black Magic Design. It introduced the 4 SDI cable issue, together with the quadrupling of HDMI/DP convertion issues for consumer displays/sources.
post #97 of 104 Old 08-22-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was originally referencing the Leeza video processor and SDI-modded DVD players of yore that thebland and other HT guys used in prior theater(s).

Other than pro/commercial use, I wonder if any recent vintage gear even has SDI ports for home/prosumer use (not counting the extreme users who might install commercial broadcasting gear)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...more-info.html
https://content.abt.com/documents/67...HD1080P_manual
Key Digital doesn't do consumer equipment, it is less broadcast, more commercial applications, now days more HD-BaseT, but pro-AV in the day was also a heavy user of SDI. And as you say the DVD players were modded after market. So even in the day there was no CE with SDI. On the other hand Black Magic Design and to an extend AJA (has had a nice SDR to HDR convertor for a few years) introduced consumer pricing to Broadcast. The mini SDI HDMI convertors are designed more for the other side, to use commodity, consumer displays with SDI sources, like camera's.
post #98 of 104 Old 10-31-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is the viewing angle for the main chairs up front?
post #99 of 104 Old 10-31-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoochers View Post
What is the viewing angle for the main chairs up front?
Eyes are bottom 1/4 of screen in the front row. Those seats are a bit close for me but it is a ‘Selfish Bastard’ design

That said, I just watched War of the Worlds and being up front put me right iin the movie (particularly when the Tripp’s foot came crashing down on the pavement as it emerged from the Earth.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #100 of 104 Old 10-31-2019, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Eyes are bottom 1/4 of screen in the front row. Those seats are a bit close for me but it is a ‘Selfish Bastard’ design

That said, I just watched War of the Worlds and being up front put me right iin the movie (particularly when the Tripp’s foot came crashing down on the pavement as it emerged from the Earth.
Thanks for the reply! Sorry I wasn't clear, but I meant: what proportion of your lateral vision is filled by the screen width? Normal is between 30-60% and I was wondering where this fell.
post #101 of 104 Old 10-31-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

It is close. 10.5’ back. If 1.78, the screen width is ~10.5’. Great for 1.78 but scope, it’s super wife as the screen is 14.5’ wide.

Most movies are my wife and I and we sit in the second row back.

post #102 of 104 Old 11-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looks and I'm sure sounds awesome! Congrats and thanks for the wonderful write up!
post #103 of 104 Old 11-12-2019, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svttom01 View Post
Looks and I'm sure sounds awesome! Congrats and thanks for the wonderful write up!
Much appreciated. Just a neat place to invade in my own house. Thanks!

post #104 of 104 Old 11-12-2019, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1730
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Much appreciated. Just a neat place to invade in my own house. Thanks!
I always called my room a vacation upstairs.

Art
Jive Turkey and Lasalle like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page