My 'Bland' New Theater: JBL Synthesis... With Help From My Many Friends Here. - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 190 Old 02-13-2020, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,574
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2426 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Your HT is freaking AMAZING!!!
Thank you so much!!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
thebland is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 190 Old 02-13-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,038
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5309 Post(s)
Liked: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
You guys are killing me!!

I've been living with the system now for a few months (recall I had months of technical issues after we moved into the house in May...)

I hope the bass lives up to you all! I don't have the ULF that I'm sure Art has (I don't know how many subs you have Ash) with just 4 Seatons doing the ULF... I may be adding 2 more F18s but I'd like your thoughts on things..

None the less, it's going to be a lot of fun!

I don't know the cubic footage of your theater, but I would not be surprised at all if you have as much bass as the next guy. If your F18's are only doing the heavy lifting from 40Hz south (low pass filter) and the Wisdom subs are doing everything above that (high pass filter), you may have all of the low end grunt you want. The difference you might experience if you compare your bass to Art's is the tactile effect in his room based upon his room being on the 2nd floor and not on concrete as you are. Short of chair transducers (which I personally abhor - and I have heard them all - at least all of the well known ones), it will be pretty difficult for you to achieve the level of tactile response Art does. But more subs might move you closer in that direction - but you will be hard pressed to EVER exactly replicate it.
thebland likes this.
audioguy is online now  
post #183 of 190 Old 02-13-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,460
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
You guys are killing me!!

I've been living with the system now for a few months (recall I had months of technical issues after we moved into the house in May...)

I hope the bass lives up to you all! I don't have the ULF that I'm sure Art has (I don't know how many subs you have Ash) with just 4 Seatons doing the ULF... I may be adding 2 more F18s but I'd like your thoughts on things..

None the less, it's going to be a lot of fun!
Check out the red dashed line on the Bass EQ chart for the pre-EQ performance (not peaks, more like a composite average) - there's a rolloff starting at 45 to 50 Hz so I'd hesitate saying that this is some sort of ULF reference.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post59177802

Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun movie. But after watching a few times over the last week on Apple TV (Atmos track), that's my impression.
thebland likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 02-13-2020 at 12:10 PM.
sdrucker is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 190 Old 02-13-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rontalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
...The difference you might experience if you compare your bass to Art's is the tactile effect in his room based upon his room being on the 2nd floor and not on concrete as you are. Short of chair transducers (which I personally abhor - and I have heard them all - at least all of the well known ones),...
I absolutely can not live with my Aurora Shakers. Adds so much to the experience and just “feels” like the right amount of “Big Bass”. Even my Wife digs it. I can’t see how people have platforms that vibrate them all over the place but a little tactile from shakers might just do the trick.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
rontalley is offline  
post #185 of 190 Old 02-13-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,038
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5309 Post(s)
Liked: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
I absolutely can not live with my Aurora Shakers. Adds so much to the experience and just “feels” like the right amount of “Big Bass”. Even my Wife digs it. I can’t see how people have platforms that vibrate them all over the place but a little tactile from shakers might just do the trick.
Our theater is upstairs. I have 8 Seaton F18's in 3400cf of space and can easily reach 125dB with full low end frequency sweeps prior to any kind of audible or easily measurable distortion. I have all of the tactile response I can stand - and have worked at reducing it. It is about as natural as you can imagine as the entire structure moves as the scene dictates - walls & ceiling [double drywall/green glue] and floor [flooring under-layment]. An earthquake in a movie (e.g. San Andreas) is an earthquake in our theater.

That's the thing about us humans - we all have different opinions on most everything. I know lots of folks in your camp. I just don't happen to be one of them. Each time I mention this to someone, their response is "you have not experienced it in MY theater." So I go visit and really can not stand it. COMPLETELY takes me out of the movie. Just not my deal.
Art Sonneborn and JonasHansen like this.
audioguy is online now  
post #186 of 190 Old 02-13-2020, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rontalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Our theater is upstairs. I have 8 Seaton F18's in 3400cf of space and can easily reach 125dB with full low end frequency sweeps prior to any kind of audible or easily measurable distortion. I have all of the tactile response I can stand - and have worked at reducing it. It is about as natural as you can imagine as the entire structure moves as the scene dictates - walls & ceiling [double drywall/green glue] and floor [flooring under-layment]. An earthquake in a movie (e.g. San Andreas) is an earthquake in our theater.

That's the thing about us humans - we all have different opinions on most everything. I know lots of folks in your camp. I just don't happen to be one of them. Each time I mention this to someone, their response is "you have not experienced it in MY theater." So I go visit and really can not stand it. COMPLETELY takes me out of the movie. Just not my deal.
Yeah, that's ALOT of bass! My wife would NOT approve. I agree though, everyone likes what they like. I look at some people setups in smaller rooms with a 9.8.6 config and I be like, But a BOSS system or Shakers might be the ticket here. Fairly inexpensive...

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
rontalley is offline  
post #187 of 190 Old 02-13-2020, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,038
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5309 Post(s)
Liked: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Yeah, that's ALOT of bass! My wife would NOT approve. I agree though, everyone likes what they like. I look at some people setups in smaller rooms with a 9.8.6 config and I be like, But a BOSS system or Shakers might be the ticket here. Fairly inexpensive...
It is a lot of bass but it is not about playing loud. It is about extension (5dB down at 7Hz), mid bass slam, and headroom. I don't have the bass level set in my room set any higher (relative to the other speakers in the room than any room I calibrate - even if that room has 1 sub.

As for 9.8.6 in a small room? Depends on your definition of "small". Large speaker count rooms provide "incremental improvements" in object location specificity over rooms with fewer speakers - and hence, a slightly improved sense of envelopment In a month or so, I will have the opportunity to compare 7.x.4 to 11.x.10 in the same room (I would call it a reasonably sized room). I will tell you then how much, if any, improvement I can actually hear between the two. But I do agree that the larger the room, the need for more speakers increases - if one wants the best possible immersion experience
tigerhonaker likes this.
audioguy is online now  
post #188 of 190 Old 02-14-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,355
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Check out the red dashed line on the Bass EQ chart for the pre-EQ performance (not peaks, more like a composite average) - there's a rolloff starting at 45 to 50 Hz so I'd hesitate saying that this is some sort of ULF reference.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post59177802

Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun movie. But after watching a few times over the last week on Apple TV (Atmos track), that's my impression.
It definitely could use a lift below 20Hz, after adding all the Seaton 18s a few months ago though I've not used my presets as much. I promised myself that I'd wait till my evening at Jeff's to watch it though.

Art
Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #189 of 190 Old 02-14-2020, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,574
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2426 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
... I promised myself that I'd wait till my evening at Jeff's to watch it though.

Art
Me, too!
Art Sonneborn likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
thebland is online now  
post #190 of 190 Old 02-14-2020, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: good old USA
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I started watching it got in about 15 to 20 minutes and turned it off. It was my second movie of the night and I said I want to watch this from the beginning and through in one sitting. I PMed Jeff and asked if he had seen it. It's all I can do not to watch it but if the rest is anything like the beginning it is perfect for a movie night in a top notch theater.

Art

We saw it at the theater and loved it. We're having another couple over to watch it tomorrow night to see it on our system in 4K UHD. I'm looking forward to a second watch.
Art Sonneborn likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Jive Turkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off